PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vaio CS390

Gnome Rage
07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I got my Vaio about a year ago, it has been glitching a lot lately. Turning off at random, after leaving it off for 5 or so minutes it will reboot with an option to check for errors. After running the check it prompts me to system restore. After the restore my computer works for about 2 days without glitching again. Tomorrow I'll be wiping my hard drive and reinstalling Vista which I will upgrade to Windows 7 from the Sony Website. But while I'm doing this I want to pop out the keyboard and clean it, as well as the fan.

I've found How To websites on cleaning the fan but no where seems to be able to tell me how to pop out the keyboard. My friend looked at it, and tried to figure it out but couldn't.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/pics/cs_overview4_09.jpg

http://www.notebookcheck.org/uploads/pics/csseries_red_12.jpg

Any ideas?

WRoss
07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
So look at the two hinges that allow your screen to open. There will be a panel on the keyboard/hard drive half of the computer that will pop off. It will be above the keyboard, near on the hinges. It'll look like a tiny watch-battery wide indentation. Just stick a Phillip's head screw driver in there and pry.

My next advice, only buy Sony when you need a DVD player or a TV.

Gnome Rage
07-21-2010, 07:59 PM
I must be a blind asshole. I can't find it.

Gnome Rage
07-21-2010, 09:30 PM
So that was awful. Couldn't take out the keyboard, tried removing the fan the way I looked up. My computer ended up getting stuck on a screw I couldn't find. Didn't want to fuck with too much and end up voiding my warrenty.

I'm pretty much positive my fan must be blocked up and thinking that its overheating. That I think would explain it shutting down. I'll try taking out the fan again tomorrow.

Any other ideas of why it would be fuckin' up like this?

radamanthys
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
It won't reboot if it's overheating. It's usually a straight shutdown. Computer duster spray, first, before you take anything apart.

I'd also run a hardware diagnostic battery. Chkdsk, memtest86+, etc.

I'm gonna put a quarter on bad ram.

Gnome Rage
07-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I've used duster spray a hundred times. The fan is not very open, doesn't do much.

I wish I understood your second sentence.

Gnome Rage
07-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Now I've gotten my first blue screen. Awesome.

Clove
07-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Our little bot is growing up!

Clove
07-23-2010, 07:33 AM
It won't reboot if it's overheating. It's usually a straight shutdown. Computer duster spray, first, before you take anything apart.

I'd also run a hardware diagnostic battery. Chkdsk, memtest86+, etc.

I'm gonna put a quarter on bad ram.Doesn't sound like overheating to me either, if it's able to reboot immediately. Bad ram. Bad video. Bad board. RAM swap is probably the cheapest stab at the dark.

Gnome Rage
07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Doesn't sound like overheating to me either, if it's able to reboot immediately. Bad ram. Bad video. Bad board. RAM swap is probably the cheapest stab at the dark.

Its not restarting right away.

It like... starts to turn on. Then turns off again. It does this like 7 times until it will finally start. It doesn't matter if I leave it for 10 seconds or 10 hrs you still have to try to reboot it like 7 fckin times before I can do a system restore.

Idk. My brother and I are cleaning the fan tonight. His laptop did the same thing and thats what it ended up being. If not, I'll probably just send it back. Its under 3 year warranty for everything under the goddamn sun.

Gnome Rage
07-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Guh.

So much for that. Fan was completely clean. So, it might be thinking its over heating but its not actually doing it.

Perhaps a harddrive wipe now... idk.

Clove
07-24-2010, 12:22 AM
From your description I doubt you've got a corrupted HDD. Your CPU could still be overheating if the heatsink shifted out of place but I would be very surprised to hear that this happened on a laptop. It sounds like it's either bad RAM or bad motherboard.

Gnome Rage
07-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Grr. I don't want to send it back :[ lol.

I know they'll figure it out I just don't want to do it.

Gnome Rage
07-24-2010, 07:24 PM
So, we wiped the hard-drive. reinstalled vista. did the whole shebang. except one driver won't install. My Ethernet driver refuses to install. Sony was called and they told my friend that he "installed their drivers in the wrong order and removed the "restore" partition (did not exist when the laptop was handed to me) by doing the format."

So its going to have to be sent back. smd.

Janda
07-24-2010, 09:31 PM
So, we wiped the hard-drive. reinstalled vista. did the whole shebang. except one driver won't install. My Ethernet driver refuses to install. Sony was called and they told my friend that he "installed their drivers in the wrong order and removed the "restore" partition (did not exist when the laptop was handed to me) by doing the format."

So its going to have to be sent back. smd.

and this is why you dont fuck with things you know nothing about.

:nono:

Gnome Rage
07-24-2010, 09:40 PM
This is why I didn't touch it.

My friend assembles computers for a living. He knows way more than I do. this is why I didn't touch it, but instead brought it to him to try to figure out. Everything works except for the freakin ethernet connect

Janda
07-24-2010, 09:47 PM
This is why I didn't touch it.

My friend assembles computers for a living. He knows way more than I do. this is why I didn't touch it, but instead brought it to him to try to figure out. Everything works except for the freakin ethernet connect

How did that work out for you?

Gnome Rage
07-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Pretty fucking awesome minus the ethernet connect.

Bobmuhthol
07-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Actually the problem is that the drivers Windows thinks you should have are not the drivers to make your card work properly. You need to find the correct drivers for your model. If your friend pretends to know anything about anything he should have no trouble installing a NIC driver. Conclusion: your friend knows nothing about anything.

And just to prevent you from trying to contradict me, I've been in that exact situation, and my solution wasn't calling Sony (again, anyone who knows anything...).

PS. You're welcome for the free technical support. Tits or GTFO, amirite?

Delias
07-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Actually the problem is that the drivers Windows thinks you should have are not the drivers to make your card work properly. You need to find the correct drivers for your model. If your friend pretends to know anything about anything he should have no trouble installing a NIC driver. Conclusion: your friend knows nothing about anything.

And just to prevent you from trying to contradict me, I've been in that exact situation, and my solution wasn't calling Sony (again, anyone who knows anything...).

PS. You're welcome for the free technical support. Tits or GTFO, amirite?

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Gnome Rage
07-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Still going to contradict you. We tried sony's drivers, we tried generic drivers, we tried drivers made by the manufacturer that builds the actually Ethernet connector.

You find me the magical drivers that apparently exist. & Srsly you don't look like a fat or and ugly guy, go see real life tits.

Delias
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Honestly I think you would have done better with google than with your computer expert friend.

Gnome Rage
07-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Well, I think you're wrong. Cause now my Ethernet works...

so this means. my computer is fixified.

Bobmuhthol
07-25-2010, 01:17 PM
You sent it to Sony and got it back already, or I was right? Even if you did send it to Sony I was right because they will have done what I told you to do.

I am too frightened by the thought of speaking to a girl in person so I never get to see any tits :(

Showal
07-25-2010, 02:00 PM
I am too frightened by the thought of speaking to a girl in person so I never get to see any tits :(

Same here. Even a moving avatar of a girl gets me nervous.

Gnome Rage
07-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I didn't send it to sony. Nor did I do what you told me. It just did decided that it wanted to work now.

Bobmuhthol
07-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah that's totally believable. Those damn unpredictable machines, having minds of their own and everything. Technically you did do what I said because you obviously have the correct driver for the NIC, so +1 to me being SUPER COMPUTER GUY.

Clove
07-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Srsly Bob, this happens to our computers at work all the time. They get fussy, throw a tantrum and refuse to engage ethernet, or their monitors or printers. Usually we turn the lights down low and give them a chance to calm down while we pipe soothing music into the room and VIOLA, they start cooperating again.

Bobmuhthol
07-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Just because you don't know what's causing the problem doesn't mean it's unexplainable.

Gnome Rage
07-25-2010, 03:37 PM
The knowledge you've passed to me is a blessing.

Bobmuhthol
07-25-2010, 03:47 PM
You could pass some tits to me to show your appreciation.

-- Sent from my iPhone