PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering how people are liking this?

Rangeroo
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I didn't really want to even try shattered since everyone is afk scripting and killing each other for stupid reasons but now that I see a lot of people are playing it it leaves me asking the question WHY? Seems like you wouldnt really even be enjoying the game with roleplay like WoW where people can say and name their characters stupid stuff. With all the afk scripting it would seem like there is no one really playing their character. I'm hoping that this doesn't become the fall of gemstone, you already took a small player group and split it into platinum and prime, now there is shattered. Maybe someone knows something I don't. Just wantin some people to post some thoughts on why they like playing it so I can see if I should even bother wasting any time on it.

IorakeWarhammer
07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
i like it there's no babysitters around telling me who i can and cant kill. no consultation lounge. that in itself makes it 10000x better than Prime

plus no uber items and no capped characters (yet)

WRoss
07-21-2010, 11:03 AM
plus no uber items

except the ones that the GMs came in and made for people

SpiffyJr
07-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I didn't really want to even try shattered since everyone is afk scripting and killing each other for stupid reasons but now that I see a lot of people are playing it it leaves me asking the question WHY? Seems like you wouldnt really even be enjoying the game with roleplay like WoW where people can say and name their characters stupid stuff. With all the afk scripting it would seem like there is no one really playing their character. I'm hoping that this doesn't become the fall of gemstone, you already took a small player group and split it into platinum and prime, now there is shattered. Maybe someone knows something I don't. Just wantin some people to post some thoughts on why they like playing it so I can see if I should even bother wasting any time on it.

If it wasn't for Shattered I wouldn't be playing again. Shattered is the most fun I've had in Gemstone in a decade.

IorakeWarhammer
07-21-2010, 11:06 AM
except the ones that the GMs came in and made for people

details? i am hearing more and more about this.

The SpellWeaver
07-21-2010, 11:06 AM
True that, Spiff

Khariz
07-21-2010, 11:07 AM
If it wasn't for Shattered I wouldn't be playing again. Shattered is the most fun I've had in Gemstone in a decade.

this.

Khariz
07-21-2010, 11:09 AM
details? i am hearing more and more about this.

In just the past week, Cthulhu was doing alters in TSC almost every day. You could give him something, and he would do whatever you want. Claid weighting on a handaxe, massively awesome armor, etc.

We got a ton of really awesome work done. There were all these people thinking that he was only doing simple alters. Well...if that's what you asked for, that's what you got.

If you handed him a piece of armor or a weapon either told him what you wanted, or gave him permission to let loose on it...you got something mackdaddy that rivals upper end prime gear.

Caiylania
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I think they should have a corrupt city in GS Prime. Where bad guys can hide and do things without repercussion.

Khariz
07-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I think they should have a corrupt city in GS Prime. Where bad guys can hide and do things without repercussion.

That wouldn't satisfy me unless the did it to the landing. I'm not going to move to another city that nobody will ever come to and fondle myself in the Shadows.

It's a good idea, but people would just avoid the area.

Rangeroo
07-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Those who are enjoying this, are you actually playing your characters or just afk scripting all the time? Doesn't seem like script hunting would be fun since your not really doing it. Maybe i just need to try it but wondering how many people are actually playing or just scripting while they sit around and get high?

Khariz
07-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Those who are enjoying this, are you actually playing your characters or just afk scripting all the time? Doesn't seem like script hunting would be fun since your not really doing it. Maybe i just need to try it but wondering how many people are actually playing or just scripting while they sit around and get high?

Most of the people being vocal and praiseworthy of Shattered are either enjoying playing their character in a rules free environment OR lust for writing and testing "the perfect script". Neither personality can thrive in Prime.

We ALL script hunt for like 20 hours a day, but those 2-4 hours of playtime sitting at the keyboard are more fulfilling than Prime for me. Between writing and tweaking and configuring scripts to avoid the mistakes they made in the day before to being able to do whatever the hell I want, and say whatever the hell I want, it's just more enjoyable.

Spooky
07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
It's a blast. I AFK hunt sometimes and play. You'd be surprised how many people you can interact with that are not AFK. Plus you can get anything altered into...anything. People swinging around glass dildos, helicopter blades, etc. No restrictions.

SpiffyJr
Let's put it this way: I have more interaction in Shattered I did in Prime.

IorakeWarhammer
i just like to watch bigshot hunt, chat on the lnet, and go pwn a few marlus when i have the time. i like scripting while i play other games like warcraft 3

Khariz
07-21-2010, 11:20 AM
i just like to watch bigshot hunt, chat on the lnet, and go pwn a few marlus when i have the time. i like scripting while i play other games like warcraft 3

Yeah, I'm playing other games and doing other stuff in the background too.

And like Spiffy said...I actually find more alert people here than in Prime.

Fatsix
07-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Just tune into the shattered channel on lnet.

Only difference for me is that i can script while i'm at work or sleeping. I'm not really afk when i'm home. You'd be suprised who is NOT afk. Theres alot of people that are not afk during odd or off peak hours. Rather just babysitting bigshot.

JustDan
07-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I have made more friends, interacted with more people, and had way more conversation in Shattered than I ever did in Prime. I'm loving it, and it's renewed my obsession.

Spooky
07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
It's alot of fun, and Dan's a great guy too

JustDan
07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
It's alot of fun, and Dan's a great guy too

That's what your mom said.

Donquix
07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
In just the past week, Cthulhu was doing alters in TSC almost every day. You could give him something, and he would do whatever you want. Claid weighting on a handaxe, massively awesome armor, etc.

We got a ton of really awesome work done. There were all these people thinking that he was only doing simple alters. Well...if that's what you asked for, that's what you got.

If you handed him a piece of armor or a weapon either told him what you wanted, or gave him permission to let loose on it...you got something mackdaddy that rivals upper end prime gear.

I've been curious about this as well. Even though I never owned any truly high end gear, the promise of getting items like that someday was always a motivating factor for me in game.

And I realize due to the nature of shattered people tend to be pretty reserved about talking about the specifics of items they have, but I mean what are we talking here? just crazy high weighting/padding and flares or were they even going so far as to adding some pre-existing scripted abilities from items made in prime/plat?

Inspire
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Only difference for me is that i can script while i'm at work or sleeping. I'm not really afk when i'm home. You'd be suprised who is NOT afk. Theres alot of people that are not afk during odd or off peak hours. Rather just babysitting bigshot.

Bingo!

Fatsix
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Exceptional weighting padding and lightning. bunch of stuff got et'd too.

Khariz
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I've been curious about this as well. Even though I never owned any truly high end gear, the promise of getting items like that someday was always a motivating factor for me in game.

And I realize due to the nature of shattered people tend to be pretty reserved about talking about the specifics of items they have, but I mean what are we talking here? just crazy high weighting/padding and flares or were they even going so far as to adding some pre-existing scripted abilities from items made in prime/plat?
Cthulhu is a very basic dude. He can mod the slots for name enchant flares weighting, etc, but he's doing anything fancy

Spooky
07-21-2010, 12:44 PM
but I mean what are we talking here? just crazy high weighting/padding and flares or were they even going so far as to adding some pre-existing scripted abilities from items made in prime/plat?

Enchanted claidhs, enchanted armor + flares, enchanted armor + padding, spikes, anything. katze even got snake flares. My friend got his armor enchanted form 4x-6x and exceptional crit padded (MBP permanent)

Feature alterations too. Max lightening...hm what else.

Donquix
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Enchanted claidhs, enchanted armor + flares, enchanted armor + padding, spikes, anything. katze even got snake flares. My friend got his armor enchanted form 4x-6x and exceptional crit padded (MBP permanent)

Feature alterations too. Max lightening...hm what else.

Cool stuff. So basically really nice basic work, and some "exotic" but i'm assuming also more or less basic things like the snake flares.

Somebody should ask him about adding the blink weapon script to items. 2 daggers + spike thorn flares + moc = luls

Rangeroo
07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
So can i play shattered and prime on the same account at the same time?

Bhaalizmo
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Nein.

Drisco
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Jesus, how sad is it that I have played Gemstone since late 2005 and I have never even got an alter. Rather I don't even know how to go about getting one.

I always just enjoyed the hunting aspect.

Loagan
07-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Hell, I like playing shattered just for the pure fact that I can take a brand new character (with the perfect stat setup) from zero to cap in no time, and then go around having fun wtfpwning with everyone else.

Toyalara
07-22-2010, 03:47 AM
I was spin-chosen, and ready with my simple request of a cloak alter. He was extremely fast, and made it just as I asked, then whispered that he'd also significantly deepened and lightened it. Nice guy! Up until my turn, the two before me had asked for one and gotten it just as quick. After my turn, the next gal asked for more than one and got them, then the next asked for myriad alters... many, and it took a long amount of time, but she got them too. Stupid me for not being assertive and asking for a dozen or so as well :club: As for the person in prime since 2005 with no alters... I came back a few months ago and found that they are so ridiculously common now in prime that they are worthless if they are simply alters. So, don't feel bad, buy one off PC or ... well, there are no more black net sales, but I did see one Moot Hall auction before abandoning ship for shattered! Maybe there's still hope for some of that good old player merchanting in game. Good luck to you :hug2:

audioserf
07-22-2010, 07:23 AM
I rolled up a newbie in Shattered last night (took four tries to be spawned in the Landing, damnit) but stopped about ten minutes in because I thought to myself, "What's the point? I'm level 0 right now and there are people level 50+ set to grief the shit out of me the second I step out of town." That's not really fun to me, and I'll NEVER be able to fight back at them, since they had a head start. Fuck it. It's taken me since January to hit 40 in prime, I don't know dick about scripting, and do I really want to grind it out again?

Cthulu
07-22-2010, 07:35 AM
I rolled up a newbie in Shattered last night (took four tries to be spawned in the Landing, damnit) but stopped about ten minutes in because I thought to myself, "What's the point? I'm level 0 right now and there are people level 50+ set to grief the shit out of me the second I step out of town." That's not really fun to me, and I'll NEVER be able to fight back at them, since they had a head start. Fuck it. It's taken me since January to hit 40 in prime, I don't know dick about scripting, and do I really want to grind it out again?

::coughs:: You ever hear of a travel token or, ya know - go2? Citizenship is laughably easy to earn after that.

And as for lv 50 people hanging outside the town waiting for you - I think you've drunk the koolaid.

audioserf
07-22-2010, 09:06 AM
But it's so red and tasty. :(

Gilralyn
07-22-2010, 09:39 AM

I wouldn't let their head start deter you. It's only been a couple of months, and when you hit cap, they'll only have a small edge over you. There isn't that much harassment going on, despite what you read on these boards.

Tilnam
07-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Shattered is amazing for people like me who don't have a lot of play time. I don't have to perpetually be a low level character. I afk level, and when i do have the time to play it is something new everytime. Not killing the same critter for 2 months straight is kinda nice.

zhelas
07-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Shattered is amazing for people like me who don't have a lot of play time. I don't have to perpetually be a low level character. I afk level, and when i do have the time to play it is something new everytime. Not killing the same critter for 2 months straight is kinda nice.

This

JustDan
07-22-2010, 10:14 AM

EN, RR, and even Icemule. All just about completely safe from da griefers. Or, pick a side and join in the skirmishes. Plenty of lower-level folk do, and you'll have fun and interact with people.

IorakeWarhammer
07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
yeah the griefing really is nothing unless you walk outside the wehnimer's gate at like 3 AM on some nights or if you're in the Marlu clan

Loagan
07-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Yeah, and if you haven't got up on lich yet then you really need to do so now.

I don't know how to script either, but lich already has all the scripts built in for you, so you don't even have to bother learning how to script.

audioserf
07-23-2010, 06:31 AM
I've had Lich for months, it owns. My Shattered guy is level 4 now, so far my only death was to a rat (gay). However I also haven't left town at all.

I am apparently too dumb to use Bigshot :(