PDA

View Full Version : Swinging Empath help.

Ribbons
07-21-2010, 10:47 AM
So, I finally get into game and decide to roll up a swinging Empath but I can use a little stat help.

Here they are:

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Constitution (CON): 88 (19) ... 88 (19)
Dexterity (DEX): 86 (23) ... 86 (23)
Agility (AGL): 70 (20) ... 70 (20)
Discipline (DIS): 73 (6) ... 73 (6)
Aura (AUR): 49 (0) ... 49 (0)
Logic (LOG): 24 (-13) ... 24 (-13)
Intuition (INT): 41 (-4) ... 41 (-4)
Wisdom (WIS): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Influence (INF): 75 (17) ... 75 (17)

I'm level 2 so far and I'm a half-elf. I swing a battle axe pretty decently, I think. Might be swinging a little higher with spells and no Spirit Barrier spell. Anyways, tweaks, suggestions?

WRoss
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm level 2

STR 100
LOG 90
DEX 90
AGI 90

no Spirit Barrier spell

This

I swing a battle axe pretty decently

Get a claidhmore until you can swing a 4x maul

That should get you going. You can fixskill as much as you want in the first 30 days as well as fixstating 5 times for free. I'd use those to your advantage.

Ribbons
07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
So, cap my strength, 90 log, dex, agi. What about the rest of the skills?

Beguiler
07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Ouch, going to want to up that logic or your learning will be painful. If you're going to tank something, tank intuition..

Tordane
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
So, cap my strength, 90 log, dex, agi. What about the rest of the skills?

For the 30 day period, yes. Don't worry with them really until after 30 days. So you have plenty of time to work out a good plan. I would listen to Wross's previous advice that can probably be searched out in forum.

Ribbons
07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Stats as of now:

Strength (STR): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Constitution (CON): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Dexterity (DEX): 90 (25) ... 90 (25)
Agility (AGL): 90 (30) ... 90 (30)
Discipline (DIS): 51 (-5) ... 51 (-5)
Aura (AUR): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Logic (LOG): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Intuition (INT): 22 (-14) ... 22 (-14)
Wisdom (WIS): 52 (1) ... 52 (1)
Influence (INF): 52 (6) ... 52 (6)

Level 3

Delias
07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
My empath was swinging a katana and you know, the crit weighting really helped. That and a backup maul are my only real pieces of advice.

Ribbons
07-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I got a claid, I don't think I need a secondary this early.

Here's my skills at level 4.

Armor Use..........................| 25 5 5
Combat Maneuvers...................| 25 5 5
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 25 5 5
Physical Fitness...................| 30 6 6
Harness Power......................| 25 5 5
Perception.........................| 15 3 3
First Aid..........................| 35 7 7

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 4 4

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 6 6

Fatsix
07-22-2010, 10:33 AM
get 202

WRoss
07-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Caels’ Grotto

Warpath Guide

By Lord Caels Onae'Rae

Alright, let's see if I can make this guide worth reading shall we?

Hmm... First of all, this is going to be short and sweet, I'm going to assume that you have some knowledge of game mechanics and such since I am no mechanics guru myself. Keep in mind that this is only my personal opinion on how to bring up a warpath, and not solid fact, and not necessarily the best way.

My name is Caels Onae'Rae, and I am a half-elven warpath. A warpath is an empath who prefers hunting over the boredom of sitting in some room healing endlessly. Although I enjoy healing others from time to time, hunting just holds more excitement for me. Besides, I can heal people on the battlefield without fear of getting myself killed too easily.

For starters, I am gonna go ahead and tell you what method of training has worked best for me in my three years of hunting/healing.

Stats:

In my experience, the best way to place your statistics as a warpath is in the following order:

ST, RE, WI, AU, LO, IN, DI, CO, DE, CH

Make sure to keep your wisdom (WI) and aura (AU) pretty high, since these will affect your mana in the game. Some people prefer to have their discipline (DI) stat in the top four as well since it helps determine training points. I place the logic (LO) and intelligence (IN) stats higher simply so that I can hold a little more field experience, and it absorb it a little bit faster, which of course, leads to training a little faster. Whichever you choose to do is fine of course.

Skills:

There are thousands of different ways you could train a warpath in skills and still be quite effective, so I'll make this simple and tell you how I train in mine.

Armor once every two or three levels until you can safely wear brig, though I personally prefer a good set of double leathers.

Shield and Weapon once every level until the day you quit.

Spells twice every level (see plan below).

Mana Share twice every level until you bonus reaches 110, afterwards train this as you desire.

Physical Training twice every level until you reach your max health possible, I have heard that training beyond that allows you to recover health quicker, but that is unknown to me.

First Aid twice every level, not only does this help you tend to wounds, but it also helps with skinning, and rumor has it that it affects recovery time from potions and spells, not sure though.

Do what you want with any left over points. I save up for Combat Manuevers, which is quite expensive for an empath, but much needed in the later years. A few good side things to train in are Perception, Stalking & Hiding, Ambushing, Spell Aiming (for the few spells we have that use AS instead of CS), Scroll Reading, and Magic Item Use. Don't forget to toss in a few Climbing and Swimming every so often, you won't need many.

Spells:

Below is a list of how I recommend training your spells from 0 trains to 29 trains.

0 - Empath and Minor Spirit

1 - Minor Spirit and Major Spirit

2 - Empath and Major Spirit

3 - Empath and Minor Spirit

4 through 10 - Empath and Major Spirit

11 through 15 - Minor Spirit and Major Spirit

16 - Twice in Minor Spirit

17 - Minor Spirit and Major Spirit

18 - Twice in Major Spirit

19 through 20 - Minor Spirit and Major Spirit

21 through 27 - Empath and Minor Spirit

28 through 29 - Twice in Empath

This method brings some important spells at a relatively good time in the game. By level 10 you should be able to heal all wounds, and you will have the Living Spell (208) which allows you to steal a prepared spell from a target. By 20 you should have Bravery, Minor Sanctuary, and Heroism, also, Stun Relief, Unbalance (quite a fun spell), and Undisease. Beyond 29, you can train how you wish for the most part, by then you should have all the necessary spells to succeed as a warpath.

As I said, this guide was to be short and sweet, and thus concludes it. If you find you need more information, please check out some of my other guides, or visit any of the GemStone III based links in my Links section. You may also email me with questions regarding the empathic/warpathic life.

You are doing it wrong, you didn't place your stats for charisma!

Beguiler
07-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, was THAT a blast from the past!..

Gnomad
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Spell-wise, you generally want:

202 and 103 by level 3
215 by level 15
1130 by level 30

Allahinside
07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
As a swinging empath you shouldn't be over-training in Empath base. While you're going to use 1106 as a disabler, your CS with be fine keeping empath at 1x.

My advice would be, by level 3, to have 103, 202, and 1103. Like others said, go straight for 215 after that.

Then it's kind of up in the air. A lot of folks say get 120 next, my advice would probably be to get 219. You'll only be 4 spells away from it after you get 215, and you're going to need the bolt DS if you're swinging a 2 handed weapon. Then get 120. Then do whatever you want, keeping spells at 2x.

As far as stats go my only big piece of advice, which you seem to have covered, is make sure you get your agidex bonus up. I ended up gimping my previously swinging empath because of this little number .... all the better though, because I switched to pure casting and it's 100x more awesome.

If you aren't training in spell aiming you'll be able to pick up MOC soon when points start freeing up. Do this, it'll help.

Allahinside
07-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Also....double train in First Aid man....As an empath there really isn't any reason not to because it's so cheap. Being able to skin is awesome.

Drisco
07-26-2010, 02:36 PM
What are good hunting places for swinging empaths.

What should you do after Fire Guardians? I can't seem to find something around 18-24

WRoss
07-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Cyclops! They are slow and low ass DS.

Drisco
07-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Negatory they are to high for me.

Me:

CS: +121 - TD: +81 + CvA: +9 + d100: +42 == +91

AS: +202 vs DS: +189 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +93 = +141

Cyclops:

AS: +224 vs DS: +132 with AvD: +17 + d100 roll: +64 = +173

WRoss
07-26-2010, 09:18 PM
hahahaha, i don't know. I haven't played a char that train in ohh...4-5 years? Maybe try ogre warriors?

Earthlust
07-27-2010, 01:06 AM
My swinging empath is in the Vaalor area, so I can only tell you what I hunted at your level with my bolt then CS cleric. Hopefully you can find something good.

You can hunt large/forest ogres and wind witches/thunder trolls in Foggy Valley. I also started at the Lake (cautiously) at low 20s, just killing whatever is comfortable, starting with cougars, and avoiding the higher level stuff ('specially roa'ters/shan).

I also spent a ton of time at the wood wights and rotting woodsmen in the caravansary from like 18 - 25. The wights die extremely fast. Unfortunately, this seems a lil too dangerous for a swinging character due to hard RT + boil earth.

I'm guessing that wasn't all that helpful, though. >.>

audioserf
07-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Since Earthlust mentioned Solhaven, I'll mention my favorite hunting grounds there -- Fenghai in the Warren. They're level 23, I believe, and extremely squishy. A claidhmore will mince them up like none other. They were also fairly wealthy, too, when I hunted them earlier this year.

Drisco
07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Are these things undead? I hate the fact I can't hunt undead because I can't afk script 24/7 without needing a cleric. Plus there isn't a really high cleric to provide a lot of swings.

Killing using mana right now is still crap. I only have 98 mana which is only 16 casts. So probably without missing 5-6 kills.

audioserf
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Fenghai are living.

Earthlust
07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Fenghai are a good idea. They were pretty frustrating as a CS caster because they have that flaring CS boost shield, but for a swinging empath I bet they'd be cake. There are some at the Lake, too, but that's more dangerous.

Of all the stuff I listed, only the wood wights and rotting woodsmen are undead.

Allahinside
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Don't forget to skin the Fengahi too. Their fur is worth a good bit.

audioserf
07-30-2010, 07:06 AM
The Lake is a ton of fun, centaurs will be absolute cake for a swinging 'path, and their hides are worth a nice bit too if you can skin. Keep an eye out for the visiting roa'ter or Shan, though. I'll never forget the first time a Shan cleric fogged to me at the Lake.

Drisco
07-30-2010, 07:10 AM
I quit the swinging :(. I went to just doing the Healing/Sorc comp. Who doesn't love just sitting at the TSC Supernode with a full mind?