PDA

View Full Version : GM Solomon

Deadelf
07-21-2010, 12:55 AM
I see that Solomon hasn't changed his practices of being a pouty, never wrong sort who won't allow anyone to talk about anything on their bbs that isn't "rah rah". lol. A thread about twitter totally got derailed by him tonight and he went on a post pulling spree.

I had the bad timing of reading through the thread and as I was going back and forth reading posts I noted posts being removed. So I posted a new thread saying that basically I thought it wrong to shut down a thread just because the players were in a heated discussion. There was no flaming any person that I could see, just a heated talk about a topic.

Solomon has never been able to handle such things, and by doing what I saw him doing tonight, he pulled basically what he always pulls on the DR side of the SIMU pond. I thought he had been keeping a hands off sort of policy in regards to GS since he obviously doesn't like the game, the players or staff by and large from what I can tell.

Anyhow I just had to chuckle that nothing really changes with him.

Ryvicke
07-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I see that Solomon hasn't changed his practices of being a pouty, never wrong sort who won't allow anyone to talk about anything on their bbs that isn't "rah rah". lol. A thread about twitter totally got derailed by him tonight and he went on a post pulling spree.

I had the bad timing of reading through the thread and as I was going back and forth reading posts I noted posts being removed. So I posted a new thread saying that basically I thought it wrong to shut down a thread just because the players were in a heated discussion. There was no flaming any person that I could see, just a heated talk about a topic.

Solomon has never been able to handle such things, and by doing what I saw him doing tonight, he pulled basically what he always pulls on the DR side of the SIMU pond. I thought he had been keeping a hands off sort of policy in regards to GS since he obviously doesn't like the game, the players or staff by and large from what I can tell.

Anyhow I just had to chuckle that nothing really changes with him.

Except that people whining about a company using twitter and facebook to connect with their subscribers is dumb to the extreme. I didn't read any of the posts he pulled (I think) and usually thinks it's poor form but I agree with his exasperation that people were complaining about something making their lives easier.

Deadelf
07-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Go back and read all the missing numbers. :) I tend to wonder at times if Whately understands just how badly Solomon alienates people. Personally I don't care about twitter, facebook or what have you. I dont use them myself and as I said in a post, though I dont begrudge others using them, as long as they aren't the only form of notification.

Anyhow I really truly was amused that he never changes. The DR bbs have always been like that. You can't ever really be critical of any subject in regards to the game. You can flame players though as I've pointed out to Paul and others when I used to link threads to him and others.

It is good feed back to allow players to post that they don't like something and why. As long as they give constructive feedback for why, instead of saying something lame like, "I dont like! Because!". So Solomon as per norm for him though shuts down that avenue of information/feedback.

Tea & Strumpets
07-21-2010, 01:17 AM
You guys should just consider yourselves lucky that I and most other people on these boards also occasionally argue about stupid Gemstone stuff, or you would be in for much worse abuse than you are likely to receive for your silly gripes.

P.S. - Facebook and Twitter are for nerds.

Mogonis
07-21-2010, 01:23 AM
No. facebook used to be for .edu email addresses only. But facebook just had to go and want more money and let everything in existence register an account.

Archigeek
07-21-2010, 01:38 AM
You vill have a fair trial after vich, you will be shot!

phantasm
07-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Hello, my name is Chad, I have been abused, exploited, and silenced by simutronics staff for most of my life. Nice to meet you.

Gnomad
07-21-2010, 08:45 AM
those were really shitty posts. most of them deserved to be pulled.

Drew
07-21-2010, 09:37 AM
That really was a dumb thread. I don't really like the official moderation policy but the people complaining about them using twitter instead of building a custom first party front end are retarded (and also the reason the BBS sucks so much).

Deathravin
07-21-2010, 09:43 AM
BTW... How does twitter work?

How do it get it to send me an e-mail or text or something anytime the twitter account is updated?
How do I get it to only send me an e-mail or text or something when the account is updated with a message for Shattered?
Why did I sign up for something so gay?

Drew
07-21-2010, 09:44 AM
BTW... How does twitter work?

How do it get it to send me an e-mail or text or something anytime the twitter account is updated?
How do I get it to only send me an e-mail or text or something when the account is updated with a message for Shattered?
Why did I sign up for something so gay?

They are looking into splitting the GS Prime plat and shattered feeds but right now I think they are all one. You basically just need to tell twitter your cell phone number and then go follow Gemstone IV and on that page tell twitter to send their updates to your phone.

Tordane
07-21-2010, 10:13 AM
They are looking into splitting the GS Prime plat and shattered feeds but right now I think they are all one. You basically just need to tell twitter your cell phone number and then go follow Gemstone IV and on that page tell twitter to send their updates to your phone.

Or.....

just text follow gemstoneiv to 40404

Easier than signing up for bullshit twitter. Make sure you have a text message plan. I know its new, but the updates have been plentiful. Personally, I LOVE it. I can't be glued to my computer 24/7, and getting quick updates is awesome for me personally.

Deathravin
07-21-2010, 10:22 AM
See I tried both of those things, but I never got updates... I got an initial 'welcome for joining' text, then never another one.

I don't need to be glued to my computer, since I get my e-mail on my phone just fine. So is there no e-mail update option?

Rinualdo
07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
You can utilize an RSS feed.

Tordane
07-21-2010, 10:30 AM
See I tried both of those things, but I never got updates... I got an initial 'welcome for joining' text, then never another one.

I don't need to be glued to my computer, since I get my e-mail on my phone just fine. So is there no e-mail update option?

Sure, just have to sign up for twitter. Pretty sure they send e-mail updates. Not sure if they are sent out with every twit though, probably an aggregate.

Deathravin
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
I Think I figured it out... I don't think I had the little mobile buttony thing clicked next to them. SO we'll see next update.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the derail.

Stry
07-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Hello, my name is Chad, I have been abused, exploited, and silenced by simutronics staff for most of my life. Nice to meet you.

Did the bad man touch you? Can you show us on the dolly where the bad man touched you?

You were gagged too you say?...

:violin: :violin: :violin:

eulogia
07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
The whining about the GSIV Twitter account was childish and made no sense.

It's a new, optional way to alert GSIV players to happenings in the game. It will not replace traditional ways like the calendar or in-game announcements. There was nothing to complain about or discuss, and yet, said complaints continued.

Solomon was right to cut it off.

I love this Twitter feed. It's a fantastic breath of fresh air to the game.

Deathravin
07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
The whining about the GSIV Twitter account was childish and made no sense.

It's a new, optional way to alert GSIV players to happenings in the game. It will not replace traditional ways like the calendar or in-game announcements. There was nothing to complain about or discuss, and yet, said complaints continued.

Solomon was right to cut it off.

I love this Twitter feed. It's a fantastic breath of fresh air to the game.

To be fair though. I've yet to receive an in-game Announcement from any of the few Shattered things on Twitter.

Inspire
07-21-2010, 04:24 PM
To be fair though. I've yet to receive an in-game Announcement from any of the few Shattered things on Twitter.

I think the announcement is only sent out in the town they're in.

IE. Mostly the Landing.

Gnomad
07-21-2010, 11:30 PM
If you have lich, I wrote a script to keep you posted on the twitter stuff:

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=54190

Bobmuhthol
08-02-2010, 09:13 PM
If I was taking in tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars in monthly revenue for what is or should be no cost I would not dare say that I make "little money."

Deathravin
08-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd guess it's between 15 and 40k a month, but probably more around 20k.

Even at 40k a month, 480k/yr is hardly anything. What can you do with that? After server hosting, data services, hiring a couple of skilled people (coders, system admins), maybe one or two unskilled workers (facilities, HR, etc) and that's all you get.

Their money is coming from Hero Engine and Loans at the moment. Why spend it on a failing game that is hardly pulling its own weight?

Bobmuhthol
08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
<<I'd guess it's between 15 and 40k a month,>>

Really? They take in over $15k/mo just by having 1000 active standard accounts that do not pay for any events and have one character slot. I don't trust your estimates.

"Server hosting" and "data services" should be dirt fucking cheap after seeing the pictures of their "data center." Hiring people? It costs tens of thousands a month to hire a few people that don't make substantial salaries? Sorry, but I don't believe for a second that this is a low margin business.

Ryvicke
08-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, totally anecdotal here (extrapolated from total back of the envelope calculations a few months ago when Ildran or Naos posted the counts of how many major enchants were completed in a given month) but I think they're bringing in almost 30-40k from premium accounts alone.

I'm also aware of at least 3 friends that have had open premium accounts for about 2 years without ever logging into the game once (yes, they're not smart, no clue why they don't put them on hold). If I know three, I know there are more that just let the bill slide by every month and don't give a shit.

Mogonis
08-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Are they letting it slide, or not looking at their statements?

Ryvicke
08-02-2010, 10:49 PM
They know they're being charged, but I'm guessing there are some that don't look at their whole monthly statement. I don't even get a statement, it's all online. That's probably why I've been bankrolling Jose from El Salvador via Children's International for 3 years. That kid is probably knee-deep in blow.

Methais
08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
I'd guess it's between 15 and 40k a month, but probably more around 20k.

Even at 40k a month, 480k/yr is hardly anything. What can you do with that? After server hosting, data services, hiring a couple of skilled people (coders, system admins), maybe one or two unskilled workers (facilities, HR, etc) and that's all you get.

Their money is coming from Hero Engine and Loans at the moment. Why spend it on a failing game that is hardly pulling its own weight?

Pretty sure a lemonade stand costs more to operate than GS...proportionally speaking.

Drazaan
09-05-2010, 09:50 PM
They know they're being charged, but I'm guessing there are some that don't look at their whole monthly statement. I don't even get a statement, it's all online. That's probably why I've been bankrolling Jose from El Salvador via Children's International for 3 years. That kid is probably knee-deep in blow.

I considered including in a letter to Ifran from India that I never bother to buy his family new pots or send him a birthday gift. I'm a heartless bastard.