PDA

View Full Version : So, what inspires you?

Delias
07-17-2010, 06:04 AM
I assume genitals of the opposite sex or the same sex if you are feeling rather adventurous, plus boobs and money. I was curious what you draw real inspiration from, though...

For instance, when I write, if I begin to lose momentum it usually just takes the right music to get me back on track. Sometimes it requires very specific songs depending on what I'm writing. (Right now, it's Everclear)

Also, I am bored as fuck and stuck at work for three more hours... which is when most of my posting seems to get done, go figure.

iJin
07-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Inspiration for..what exactly? Writing?

Movie scores. Awesome movie scores.

Delias
07-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Inspires you to anything... if you want to say the Rocky training montage inspires you to kick ass and take names, that's cool.

LMingrone
07-17-2010, 06:50 AM
I think I'm the same as you. I love my artwork, and I'm writing a novel at the moment. Without music, I couldn't do it. At the moment it's: Tool, Damien Rice, and the new Wu-Tang. A weird mix of music, I know, but I need different music for my different moods.

Delias
07-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Hey, yesterday I required two songs off of a fucking shrek soundtrack... so I can understand the diversity.

WRoss
07-17-2010, 08:12 AM
For me, writing and music. To inspire is to share your experiences with those around you. To be inspired, one must regard something as that which they would care to share with those around them.

IorakeWarhammer
07-17-2010, 08:24 AM
a blue sky with shimmering white clouds, tall tulip poplar trees creating a symphony with their branches in the breeze, and the humid, sweet smell of the forest..

Gan
07-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Music

Boobs

Silky skin

The smell of ivory soap fresh out of the shower, wet long hair, boobs, silky skin and music.

rawr

Self sacrifice also inspires me, just not with the combination above.

Buckwheet
07-17-2010, 10:01 AM
My Grandfather. Served in WWII in the 6th Marine Division partnered up with JASCO in the Pacific. I can only pretend to be 1/4 of the man he is.

Kitsun
07-17-2010, 10:41 AM
I get my more creative ideas while on the pooper...

kookiegod
07-17-2010, 10:50 AM
music, my gf, and phone calls booking my new biz before it opens....

Asha
07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Bad times genuinely leave me feeling like I have to either distract myself with creating art or music or just completely fills me with potential and genuine ideas to do so.

Caiylania
07-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Music inspires me to be creative.

Reading about people who saved lives or put it all on the line to help others. It is inspiring to know that there are people out there who balance the bad guys and make me hope that if that moment happens to me, I am strong enough to do it to.

Most of all... my children. They make me want to be a better person.

Gnome Rage
07-17-2010, 12:59 PM
When I was still in highschool I took a jewelery class which was originally titled metal smithing. But it was still fun, I made some beautiful pieces and I drew my inspiration from family mostly. For instance...

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/53/l_36dc81fffb0d40ec8cb05b4fcf74a820.jpg

This was a cuff that I made for my brother, though he will never wear it he still keeps it on display. At first my idea was to look up the sheet music for Sugar Magnolia and solder music notes to the raised bar of music. It eventually ended up as this simple piece because the semester was ending. I think I like this better anyways.

But I drew the inspiration for the piece from my brother and music...

When it comes to writing, especially papers I turn to music, specifically Wagner, it keeps the creative juices flowing with the different crescendo and whatnot.

As far as emotional inspiration, as in what picks me up when I'm down... I think of how long my mother lived with cancer, and how she battled it to give me the best life I could get. Its hard to be angry or upset with yourself when you know that someone struggled so long to take care of you, rather than giving in to pain.

I think that about covers all the bases here. haha

Caiylania
07-17-2010, 01:17 PM
That is awesome. I really like the idea.

LMingrone
07-17-2010, 01:38 PM
It kind of looks like a slinky, and that's in no way an insult. I really like it.

Ribbons
07-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Games inspire me to draw. Or other people's drawings. In high school I had a friend who would draw, show them to me, then challenge me to do better. It was absolutely amazing some of the stuff she drew.

Wish I kept in contact with her.

Gnome Rage
07-17-2010, 02:06 PM
I love that cuff. I kind of wish I didn't give it to him. haha. I really wish I had a photo of the married metal ring that I made. It was so fucking sick, I wear it all the time even though it weighs like a freakin pound... okay thats a hyperbole but w/e.

Delias
07-17-2010, 07:56 PM
When I was still in highschool I took a jewelery class which was originally titled metal smithing. But it was still fun, I made some beautiful pieces and I drew my inspiration from family mostly. For instance...

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/53/l_36dc81fffb0d40ec8cb05b4fcf74a820.jpg

This was a cuff that I made for my brother, though he will never wear it he still keeps it on display. At first my idea was to look up the sheet music for Sugar Magnolia and solder music notes to the raised bar of music. It eventually ended up as this simple piece because the semester was ending. I think I like this better anyways.

But I drew the inspiration for the piece from my brother and music...

When it comes to writing, especially papers I turn to music, specifically Wagner, it keeps the creative juices flowing with the different crescendo and whatnot.

As far as emotional inspiration, as in what picks me up when I'm down... I think of how long my mother lived with cancer, and how she battled it to give me the best life I could get. Its hard to be angry or upset with yourself when you know that someone struggled so long to take care of you, rather than giving in to pain.

I think that about covers all the bases here. haha

So...can I get a jar of your creative juices, then?

See what I did there? Brilliant!

Anyway... I find inspiration in a lot of places, but to really keep me on track I need the right beat.

Buckwheat, I know how you feel. My grandfather and his brother are also men who's boots I will never fill.

Gnome Rage
07-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes, let me just pour the juices out of my BRAIN and mail them to you.

Delias
07-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Yes, let me just pour the juices out of my BRAIN and mail them to you.

You're a pretty girl, you shouldn't be bothering with all that thinking anyway. It can only make you unhappy.

iJin
07-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Music. Everything that I do has some form of tie to music. Also, alot of my inspiration in college comes from all the amazing teachers I'd had growing up. Having a teacher who completely inspires you and makes you fall in love with the subject are hard to come by, and it's always what I think about when I remember that I'll be teaching soon.

Stanley Burrell
07-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Double rainbows.

Killer Kitten
07-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Our shelter volunteers, they are just amazing.

And our handicapped kittens. They're missing eyes and limbs and other things and they have no idea, they just act like kittens. Makes me wanna be a kitten. Something shiny... yay!!

Ribbons
07-17-2010, 09:54 PM
And our handicapped kittens. They're missing eyes and limbs and other things and they have no idea, they just act like kittens. Makes me wanna be a kitten. Something shiny... yay!!

That...is seriously amazing. No joke, tug at my heart strings just then.

TheLastShamurai
07-17-2010, 10:08 PM
I draw my inspiration from my desire to master the things I enjoy. I love to learn, and I try to apply all the knowledge I gain {despite the source or topic} to the other aspects of my life and work.

Kuyuk
07-17-2010, 10:29 PM
My son. Hoping to live up to whatever expectations he has of me. Hoping to teach him the good, and to try and teach him to fix the bad.

http://images.swaptree.com/images/Books/24/0763630624.jpg

This is our book of rules to go by.

Shari
07-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Other people's art. Which - seems strange to me when I think about it, but it just works.

We just spent half the day at the Children's Art Museum in Phoenix and they have this 3 story climber (a kind of jungle gym) big enough for even adults to go through. Thing is made out of steel, fiberglass, wood and found objects. WAS AMAZING. So we're going to make a mini version in Riley's room. CAN'T WAIT.

Delias
07-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Oh, I forgot: Redheads.

Seriously, Kuyuk, I feel you on the son thing. I worry that the only thing my son will learn from me is how to pick everything apart. Sure, it's important to know the Why's of things, but it is also important just to experience and enjoy them...which is where I have trouble.

Gnome Rage
07-18-2010, 01:21 AM
You're a pretty girl, you shouldn't be bothering with all that thinking anyway. It can only make you unhappy.

lolol. I wasn't always a pretty girl! You gotta grow a brain sometime.

Gnome Rage
07-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Other people's art. Which - seems strange to me when I think about it, but it just works.

We just spent half the day at the Children's Art Museum in Phoenix and they have this 3 story climber (a kind of jungle gym) big enough for even adults to go through. Thing is made out of steel, fiberglass, wood and found objects. WAS AMAZING. So we're going to make a mini version in Riley's room. CAN'T WAIT.

Even more than other people's art, children's art is inspiring. Have you ever seen a child who hasn't yet mastered their motor skills start erasing because they didn't like it? I personally haven't, not that young at least. That is inspiring!

Shari
07-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Excellent point. This museum was more of a hands-on place where they could run around and climb on things and build things. My favorite was they put a big sheet of steel on one wall. And then had all these magnetized pieces of pvc pipe and bendy vacuum-like tubes that you could arrange however you want and drop golf balls through. I could have played with that thing ALL DAY LONG. I'll post pics once I stop being so lazy about uploading my camera's photo program on my computer.

Gnome Rage
07-18-2010, 02:58 AM
I feel like I've seen that on a TV show... I'm not sure.

The children's museum thing just got me on the idea of that inspiration haha. But that sounds really fun. In CT we have the discovery museum sorta near me. I used to look forward to that fieldtrip for daysss.

LMingrone
07-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Hah, I used to take feild trips there when I was young. I just took my brothers to the Peabody, and they loved it.

Funny thing is, I'd rather look at their stick figure drawings and messy paintings than a Monet or Michalangelo. And I can stare at their stuff for hours over a Mona Lisa. Art is all about emotion I guess.

Enitocin
07-18-2010, 08:45 AM
My dad.

Gnome Rage
07-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Funny thing is, I'd rather look at their stick figure drawings and messy paintings than a Monet or Michalangelo. And I can stare at their stuff for hours over a Mona Lisa. Art is all about emotion I guess.

Agreed. Though let me tell you. I cried at the MET when I stood in front of this painting.

http://robertarood.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/ingres_princess_albert_de_broglie.jpg

I know its kind of large but damnit look at that detail! No one can paint like the old masters, no one.

Edit: Seriously, look at the skirt. Even through the computer (which doesn't give it really the justice it deserves) you feel like you can touch her dress.

Drevihyin
07-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I would have to disagree.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/riverduck/r41148_104701.jpg

Gnome Rage
07-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I would have to disagree.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/riverduck/r41148_104701.jpg

/Slaps you upside the head

I slap you, I slap you. I slap slap slap you. :wtf:

Caiylania
07-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Agreed. Though let me tell you. I cried at the MET when I stood in front of this painting.

I know its kind of large but damnit look at that detail! No one can paint like the old masters, no one.

Edit: Seriously, look at the skirt. Even through the computer (which doesn't give it really the justice it deserves) you feel like you can touch her dress.

I can't go to museums with other people. They get to annoyed when I stand in front of a painting just studying the details and waiting for the people in them to start talking, because yes, painters who can capture life and substance like that are they themselves immortal.

Gnome Rage
07-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I can't go to museums with other people. They get to annoyed when I stand in front of a painting just studying the details and waiting for the people in them to start talking, because yes, painters who can capture life and substance like that are they themselves immortal.

<3 I love you. Lets go to a Museum together.

I also cried in the middle of my art history class because my teacher put The Birth of Venus on the projector and asked us all to write down what we thought her eyes were thinking, supporting it using the different principles that we learned earlier in the semester.

I wrote like a page, then I started to cry because I felt so awful for her.

Sean of the Thread
07-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I bet you cry when there is a penis in your ass too.

Bobmuhthol
07-18-2010, 11:53 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobmuhthol
07-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Double rainbows.

This. And while nothing inspires me, a great man was once inspired:

I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. "Hey, Mitch, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?" "Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!"

Gnome Rage
07-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I bet you cry when there is a penis in your ass too.

I'm pretty sure if I were taking a dick up the ass, I'd be crying. but so would you.

Drevihyin
07-18-2010, 12:57 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/riverduck/Picture31.png

Perhaps no Picasso but still a master artist at work.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/riverduck/piglet-384_686721a.jpg

Inspired by Da Vinci no doubt.

Gnome Rage
07-18-2010, 12:58 PM
I love that pig picture. I've seen it before. I want a pig sooo badly.

Delias
07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm pretty sure if I were taking a dick up the ass, I'd be crying. but so would you.

I disagree. Once they thought I had appendicitis and shoved a giant cock up my ass and pumped my colon full of some sort of imaging fluid. The longest 10 seconds of my life was when they said "now squeeze your cheeks and hold the fluid in". I still didn't cry.

In all fairness, once this giant monstrosity finally exited my ass, the relief was so great that I almost did get an erection. I'm sure that probably says all sorts of things about me that I wish it didn't... but here we are, I guess.

WRoss
07-18-2010, 05:29 PM
I disagree. Once they thought I had appendicitis and shoved a giant cock up my ass and pumped my colon full of some sort of imaging fluid. The longest 10 seconds of my life was when they said "now squeeze your cheeks and hold the fluid in". I still didn't cry.

In all fairness, once this giant monstrosity finally exited my ass, the relief was so great that I almost did get an erection. I'm sure that probably says all sorts of things about me that I wish it didn't... but here we are, I guess.

Quote saved.

Sean of the Thread
07-18-2010, 05:30 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/riverduck/Picture31.png

Perhaps no Picasso but still a master artist at work.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/riverduck/piglet-384_686721a.jpg

Inspired by Da Vinci no doubt.

I've seen a dolphin paint a shit fuck of pictures in Clearwater Florida and they're surprisingly awesome.

It was inspired by getting fish in return however.

I doubt any dolphin would pick up paint and a brush otherwise.

Showal
07-18-2010, 05:40 PM
http://www.alaskatravelgram.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/MtMcKinley.jpg

This mountain (Denali), in particular, inspires me - inspires me to work, inspires me to go to the gym, and gives me some focus. Yeah there are thousands of other mountains out there, but this is the only one I have an emotional attachment to. It's the reason I got in to climbing to begin with.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-18-2010, 05:43 PM
C-c-c-c-c-cocaine.

Sean of the Thread
07-18-2010, 05:47 PM
L S D

Delias
07-18-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.alaskatravelgram.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/MtMcKinley.jpg

This mountain (Denali), in particular, inspires me - inspires me to work, inspires me to go to the gym, and gives me some focus. Yeah there are thousands of other mountains out there, but this is the only one I have an emotional attachment to. It's the reason I got in to climbing to begin with.

I spent several summers in the mat-su valley, and I still didn't make it to denali. Mat-su glacier was amazing, as were the chugach and the talkeetnas. Hope I spelled those right. Absolutely beautiful country up there.

radamanthys
07-18-2010, 06:43 PM
What motivates me? Laziness. It inspires me to greater levels of laziness.

iJin
07-18-2010, 06:44 PM
C-c-c-c-c-cocaine.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk134/tucksman/DrRockso.jpg

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Hahaha yes. I love Dr Rockso.

Celephais
07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Depends on what I'm being inspired for. When it comes to programming a lot of my creative programming inspiration comes from this community.

When it comes to things a bit more tangible, I usually draw inspiration from the outdoors, the woods, fields, rivers, I like green.

And cocaine.

Delias
07-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Depends on what I'm being inspired for. When it comes to programming a lot of my creative programming inspiration comes from this community.

When it comes to things a bit more tangible, I usually draw inspiration from the outdoors, the woods, fields, rivers, I like green.

And cocaine.

Well, I mean, of course cocaine. I just assumed everyone would take that as a given.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm sort of like Cel. When I'm not taking inspiration from my homie snowflake, I tend to look to nature.

I'm a water person. Oceans, rivers, rainfall, thunderstorms, etc. Hell, even just swimming around in a pool for an hour can clear my head and make me feel inspired.

peam
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM

If the forum would allow it, I would give you 50000000000 positive reps.

Some shit about spreading it around happens though.

"Oh you just keep that cabbage comings daddy-o and Dr. Rockso's going to get what you want the way you want it. Now which one of you humps got a cigarette for Dr. Rockso."

Buckwheet
07-21-2010, 06:09 PM
My Grandfather. Served in WWII in the 6th Marine Division partnered up with JASCO in the Pacific. I can only pretend to be 1/4 of the man he is.

I don't really know why I feel compelled now of all days to share this on a public message board, I am going to claim pure pride I guess. I just really enjoy bragging about him right now, because unlike me, what he did matters.

Shortly after I posted this my Grandfather passed away, being a Marine, I can only assume Death took one hell of a beating before it happened.

He died on the 18th, and even though he and I were very close I am learning more about him as I page through his things.

I was not aware his unit was awarded a Presidential Citation for Heroism.

http://cmnservicesgroup.com/citationsletter02.jpg

I am not sure where I stand on religion right now, but if anyone who does read this feels the need to offer me condolences or say a prayer, I would just ask that you don't and instead reflect on everything all service members and their families do to keep us safe. Maybe even say Thanks to a service member when you see them next.

I am more proud of him than sad that he is gone, especially reading now about all the things he did to make sure I had what I have now.

Semper Fi's will also suffice.

To anyone who is or has been in the service, Thank You for all that you do.

Delias
07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't really know why I feel compelled now of all days to share this on a public message board, I am going to claim pure pride I guess. I just really enjoy bragging about him right now, because unlike me, what he did matters.

Shortly after I posted this my Grandfather passed away, being a Marine, I can only assume Death took one hell of a beating before it happened.

He died on the 18th, and even though he and I were very close I am learning more about him as I page through his things.

I was not aware his unit was awarded a Presidential Citation for Heroism.

http://cmnservicesgroup.com/citationsletter02.jpg

I am not sure where I stand on religion right now, but if anyone who does read this feels the need to offer me condolences or say a prayer, I would just ask that you don't and instead reflect on everything all service members and their families do to keep us safe. Maybe even say Thanks to a service member when you see them next.

I am more proud of him than sad that he is gone, especially reading now about all the things he did to make sure I had what I have now.

Semper Fi's will also suffice.

To anyone who is or has been in the service, Thank You for all that you do.

Sorry for your loss. I always respected my grandfather but we were never particularly close. He passed away a few years ago and I finally managed to round up all of the letters he sent home, as well as all the letters his brother sent home from the war. I scanned them and then was able to pass them around to the entire family as a way of preserving their memory. It's a real eye opener to see things they never spoke of. Heroes, all.

Edit: Grandfather was around Colmar when he was wounded, patched up and sent back out. His brother died near Foy, and when he found out...well, so far as I understand it, he went to AWOL and made his way to Foy. He ended up getting pulled off the lines, not sure how they classified it back then but he was, for want of a better term, out of his mind. Shock treatments on the way home and a condition that lasted the rest of his life. Whenever he would stop taking his medication, he would start re-living the war.

Stanley Burrell
07-21-2010, 08:58 PM
PCP, because how else am I supposed to lift up my house in the morning?

Delias
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
PCP, because how else am I supposed to lift up my house in the morning?

Slap some wheels on that bitch and roll on in to tornado alley.

Celephais
07-22-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm sort of like Cel. When I'm not taking inspiration from my homie snowflake, I tend to look to nature.

I'm a water person. Oceans, rivers, rainfall, thunderstorms, etc. Hell, even just swimming around in a pool for an hour can clear my head and make me feel inspired.

This is one of my favorite places to think:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/GuinnessKMF/FirePit.jpg