PDA

View Full Version : That whole oil leak thing... we're good now?

Celephais
07-16-2010, 04:21 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=19051

New containment cap stopped the leak, but the job isn't finished yet

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/15681_oil-leak-camera.jpg

Just five days shy of three months since the oil leak started in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, and 184 million gallons of oil spilled later, BP finally found a solution that successfully contained the oil.

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/15682_13397088_11n.jpg

The 75-ton containment cap placed over the damaged oil well earlier this week has undergone an extensive 48-hour testing period in hopes of a successful end result. Thankfully, this method worked. For the first time since the leak erupted 85 days ago, oil has finally stopped flowing to the surface of the Gulf.

But plugging the oil well is only the beginning of resolving this environmental disaster. Now that the containment cap is placed and doing its job, engineers will begin monitoring pressure gauges making sure that there are no leaks elsewhere. The worst case scenario right now is that pressure from the oil under the containment cap could damage the well further, which would lead to oil spilling out from other areas on the sea floor.

So the waiting game begins. Any signs of new leaks will means engineers will have to reopen the cap and let oil spill into the Gulf once again. The engineers are hoping that the well holds out for the next two days of close observation, but even if it does hold out, they have to conduct a seismic survey of the ocean floor to make sure oil isn't escaping from the well into the bedrock, and in order to conduct such a survey, engineers have to open the vents again, which releases more oil.

"For the people living on the Gulf, I'm certainly not going to guess their emotions," said Kent Wells, BP vice president. "I hope they're encouraged there's no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico. But we have to be careful. Depending on what the test shows us, we may need to open this well back up."

Those surrounding the Gulf like fisherman and restauranteurs, who have lost their jobs due to the oil leak, have shown mixed reviews on the new containment cap solution. Some are relieved while others don't trust BP enough to rest assure that this is a permanent solution.

Others, such as Alabama Gov. Bob Riley, showed a greater sense of relief that BP has closed off the well.

"That's great," said Riley. "I think a lot of prayers were answered today."

The video feed on BP's website showed the oil cloud, which has been gushing ever since the Deepwater Horizon exploded and sank, thin and eventually fade out at 2:25 pm CDT. The containment cap in place is designed to restrict oil from entering the ocean by restraining it inside the well and also allowing ships at the surface to siphon oil from inside of it.

The containment cap seems to be doing its job for the time being, but it is not a permanent solution to this catastrophe. BP is currently drilling two relief wells, due to be completed in mid August, which will pump cement and mud into the well with the idea of plugging it permanently. After this is accomplished, a mass clean-up, expected to take years, will take place in the Gulf.

Every little bit counts, and in this case, a huge weight has been lifted off of many shoulders today, even if it is temporary. Randall Luthi, president of the National Ocean Industries Association, which is a trade group representing the offshore oil industry, noted that "industry officials and their families are taking a big sigh," but to others, the damage has already been done and the last thing anyone should do is assume that this has been taken care of.

"I think it's a little premature to say it's definitely over," said Steve Shepard, Gulf Coast chairman of the Mississippi Chapter of the Sierra Club. "They've gotten our hopes up so many times before that in my mind I don't think it's going to be over until Christmas."

Anebriated
07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
The part that bothers me is that they basically waited until they found a cap that would seal it AND STILL ALLOW SHIPS TO SIPHON OUT OIL. This explains a lot of the wait time. Sad we allowed it.

Atlanteax
07-16-2010, 06:04 PM
The Oil Must Flow!

Anebriated
07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
$$ > environment

IorakeWarhammer
07-16-2010, 06:06 PM
the American people are completely powerless. even if BP said: "Fuck you, let it spill," what honestly could anyone do about it? corporate anarchy has no current cap and continues to spill unabated.

IorakeWarhammer
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
$$ > environment

population control > environment

because the whole oil spill fiasco, paired with the dispersants used, has entirely been for the sake of population control. it was engineered by the richest people in the world.

Anebriated
07-16-2010, 06:11 PM

because the whole oil spill fiasco, paired with the dispersants used, has entirely been for the sake of population control. it was engineered by the richest people in the world.

Just when we thought it wasnt possible you prove to us yet again that you are able to show an epic level of stupidity on a regular basis. Congrats on another notch in the achievement.

IorakeWarhammer
07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
tell me why they used the most toxic dispersant possible, which is literally akin to Agent Orange?

hundreds of others available. much less toxic.

Delias
07-16-2010, 06:22 PM
tell me why they used the most toxic dispersant possible, which is literally akin to Agent Orange?

hundreds of others available. much less toxic.

Effectiveness? Cost? Any number of reasons. Maybe they were aiming at you, specifically. I know I would be. I would kill off whole populations to rid the world of you.

TheWitch
07-16-2010, 06:22 PM
The siphoning capability of the new cap has less to do with leaving the option open to siphon for profit than it has to do with the ability to decrease the build up of pressure under the cap, if necessary, to avoid creating additional leaks below cap or worse, under the sea bed.

If there were to be additional leaks caused by increased pressure, they could open the siphons to decrease the pressure. Yes, they can still sell the oil they collect if they have to siphon, but I don't get the impression that's something they're all that eager to have to do.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38273995/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf/

IorakeWarhammer
07-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Effectiveness? Cost? Any number of reasons. Maybe they were aiming at you, specifically. I know I would be. I would kill off whole populations to rid the world of you.

And here we have it. This is exactly the attitude that prevails within the elite of the world today. This place is crowded and most people are fucking ignorant, so might as well kill 'em off. This intention gives you the modern war theaters, the diseases like AIDS, famine in the richest continent (Africa) in the world, and definitely this prolonged oil disaster.

Masking population control techniques behind layers of confusion, propganda, deception.. tons of ridicule of course, and always blaming human mistakes rather than the wider conspiracy.

Delias
07-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Well, if people had started taking their birth control pills we wouldn't need to try to lower the population would we? Resources are FINITE. Overpopulation is a mother fucker, and reality doesn't bow to your prayers for food to fall from the fucking sky.

Parkbandit
07-16-2010, 07:21 PM
The part that bothers me is that they basically waited until they found a cap that would seal it AND STILL ALLOW SHIPS TO SIPHON OUT OIL. This explains a lot of the wait time. Sad we allowed it.

The oil they captured would have been in the Gulf instead of an oil tanker.

I vote for it being in an oil tanker.

Anebriated
07-16-2010, 09:17 PM
The oil they captured would have been in the Gulf instead of an oil tanker.

I vote for it being in an oil tanker.

My point is could they have sealed it off earlier and saved say 100 million gallons from spilling into the gulf as opposed to engineering a way to recoup on their initial investment.

Gan
07-16-2010, 11:26 PM

Too bad your parents did not/do not practice your same philosophy.

population control > IorakeWarhammer