PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Paladin - Lore Training

JohnDoe
07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Been debating back and forth on how to approach my lore training with a paladin in Shattered. Most traditional plans outlined on these boards have people learning up to 1635, then 120, and getting 25 ranks of Blessing lore.

Switching it up a bit and stopping at 1625 and moving to the 100s so that I can get the extra DS/TD earlier - this has proved to be important as it's not as easy to get spelled up (unless you're MAing - which I'm not) and/or not a lot of nice items to assist with it. I'm doing a THW path, so I also don't see me using 1635 to hunt until I get into my 50-70s (not that much even then).

So, with all that said. Would you guys suggest continuing to train in Blessings to get added DS/TD benefits? Move to Summoning? Move to Religion to take advantage of the Zealot benefits? Stop training lores completely for a while?

Some info about my training plan: 2x THW, 2x armor, 1.5 PF, 1.2 CM, 1x dodge, just under 1x spells, 1x harness power, .75 lores.

TheLastShamurai
07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Most traditional plans outlined on these boards have people learning up to 1635, then 120, and getting 25 ranks of Blessing lore.

Most traditional plans outline getting 25 Religion Lore, so you get the full benefit to 1615 and 1630.

JohnDoe
07-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Oops, meant Religion lore. And 1630...not 1635. I obviously still have much to learn about paladins.

So, if 1615 and 1630 aren't going to be active parts of my hunting plan for months and I want to beef up my DS/TD as a 1st priority, do I:
1) Continue on with Blessing lore to take advantage of the DS/TD benefits of 1601, benefits to 1611, 1616, 1618, 107, and 115?
2) Move to Religion lore and take advantage of the extra DS it provides to 1610, benefits of Zealot, and prep for 1615 and 1630?
3) Move to Summoning lore to take advantage of the benefits to 1605 and 1630?

TheLastShamurai
07-14-2010, 01:31 PM
There is no quick way to boost TD via lores. And you shouldn't really be having a problem with it against creatures. PvP might be different. Either way, you're looking at a large TP investment for a small TD gain.

And if you're looking to amp up DS as your first priority, your best TP investment would be more Dodge, not Lores.

As far as Lore training overall as a THW user, 25 Religion is really the only major goal, IMO. I personally only have 25 Religion and 10 Summoning. Everything after that is just luxury.

Armor Use..........................| 302 202
Combat Maneuvers...................| 302 202
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 302 202
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 25 5
Physical Fitness...................| 302 202
Dodging............................| 302 202
Magic Item Use.....................| 120 30
Harness Power......................| 201 101
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 50 10
Perception.........................| 179 79
Climbing...........................| 186 86
Swimming...........................| 201 101

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 20

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 81

daeler33
07-14-2010, 02:41 PM
doesn't 1611 use blessings? I would think lore there would help with that.

speaking of...is the CM weapon specialization worth the points? I am 24 with 28 CM ranks I have feint lvl 3 and cmovement lvl 3 right now, cant hit crap with the feint yet altho it is getting better with 1611. but other than shield charge not sure what else to spend the points on. any help would be appreciated.

TheLastShamurai
07-14-2010, 03:04 PM
doesn't 1611 use blessings? I would think lore there would help with that.

Yes, it uses Blessing Lore, but I'm not sure where you're going with that. 1611 has nothing to do with DS/TD, which is what the OP was mostly asking about.

Blessing Lore has other benefits, obviously, but they're more useful to sword/board users. I would rock the shit out of some Blessing Lore if I were blunt/board.

daeler33
07-14-2010, 03:10 PM
yeah I suppose it was off, but I thought CM offered a little in the way of DS/AS boost per rank.

TheLastShamurai
07-14-2010, 03:13 PM
yeah I suppose it was off, but I thought CM offered a little in the way of DS/AS boost per rank.

It adds to AS, yes. It doesn't add to your DS, but does indirectly aid in your overall defense by making you more immune to CMANs.

JohnDoe
07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Huh, making me rethink doing lores at all until I'm ready to start using 1630 and 1615. To make it worth while, it needs to be able to integrate into afk scripts.

I think you hit the nail on the head (and not sure why it didn't occur to me), but lots of TPs for not a lot of benefit overall. In the end, 27 ranks of blessing lore gets me +6 to DS/TD from 1601, additional bonus of +5 to my CM rank, and +3 to DS from Guard the Meek. So +9 total DS, +6 total TD boost, and +5 to CM bonus. I'd also get some minor bonuses to % chance of warding with 107 and 115 - haven't looked at this too much, but the % increase seems low.

If I drop my lore completely I could either:
a) Go to 1.5x on dodge. That'd combine with 1.2x CM and 1.5 PF I'm currently training at. Or;
b) Go to just under 1.5x on CM, 1.2 Dodge, and 1.5 PF. Or;
b) Go to 1.2x dodge and stay at 1.2 CM and 1.5 PF, but gain access to spell 120 6 levels sooner.

Thinking I may do option C to get the benefits of 120 faster. Then, I could go back and beef up dodge and/or CM some more or start piling points into lores.

Anyone really beefed up in religion lore to try to get the most benefit out of Zealot?

thefarmer
07-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Switching it up a bit and stopping at 1625 and moving to the 100s so that I can get the extra DS/TD earlier - this has proved to be important as it's not as easy to get spelled up (unless you're MAing - which I'm not) and/or not a lot of nice items to assist with it. I'm doing a THW path, so I also don't see me using 1635 to hunt until I get into my 50-70s (not that much even then).

This plan is a mistake.

If you want the DS/TD from the 100's circle, pick up some ranks in scroll reading or MIU.

Some info about my training plan: 2x THW, 2x armor, 1.5 PF, 1.2 CM, 1x dodge, just under 1x spells, 1x harness power, .75 lores.

If you're not going to bother casting spells you need to be 3x armor, 2x THW, 2x PF, 2x CM to get redux and into fullplate faster.

Just know that you might as well play a warrior if you're not going to utilize DS/Judgement.

edit: To expand on the mistake part...

120 is a great spell... but you're going to severely fuck yourself up by not getting A) Beseech B) Bonding, C) Judgement and D) Getting ranks period in the Paladin circle.

A) Top 3 spells in the game; vital to every paladin
B) You're in shattered.... don't you want a self-returning, sanctified, (possibly flaring) weapon?
C) You have no Mstrike, and with no casting.. you have ZERO crowd control
D) You loose out on low critter TD, AS/DS/TD bonuses from the paladin spells that use spell ranks, not to mention A, B, and C.

JohnDoe
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
It's not that I don't think I'll be utilizing DS/Judgement at some point, it's the idea of working it in to my hunting routines being that it costs a decent amt of mana and I'm already using quite a bit on GoS. As I get more mana, this will be less of an issue - that's why I'm thinking I wouldn't start using it regularly until I'm in my 50s. If that ends up proving true, then I'd have switched back to the 1600s after I hit 43 and would have 1635 by level 53. I'd have little lore training at that point, but since I'd probably stop training in spells then, I could do lores 2x-4x per level in place of the spells to get any ranks I need fairly quickly.

thefarmer
07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I think you're overestimating the value of lores and the 100's, and underestimating the Paladin circle spells.

Sure anything is doable, but I think you're going to have a more difficult time than you need to, and with it being shattered, the weaker you are the less fun you could potentially have.