PDA

View Full Version : Yankee down

Parkbandit
07-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Reports of George Steinbrenner dying today in Tampa of a massive heart attack.

ElvenFury
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Most news sources are saying that his condition is unknown, but apparently ESPN is saying that he died at 6:30 this morning.

Rinualdo
07-13-2010, 10:06 AM
AP is saying he died.

Keller
07-13-2010, 10:13 AM
For as wealthy as he was, 2010 isn't a bad year to die.

Gan
07-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Imagine the estate taxes on that one...

*2011 estate taxes will be worse from what I'm reading. (echoing Keller's sentiment)

TheEschaton
07-13-2010, 10:28 AM
There are no estate taxes this year. His heirs are cackling in glee.

Atlanteax
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Looks like he dodged a posthumous bullet there!

Showal
07-13-2010, 11:14 AM
I think David Ortiz winning the home run derby put him over the edge.

peam
07-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Hope they serve calzones in Hell, George.

Parkbandit
07-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Hope they serve calzones in Hell, George.

Why.. because he spent excessively on making the Yankees a championship team? If there really was a God, I'm not sure he would consider that a sin that is deserving of eternal suffering. In fact, Steinbrenner was a pretty big philanthropist in the Tampa area:

TAMPA - Nationally, many people believed that long-time owner of the New York Yankees lived in the Big Apple, but he lived right here.

The son of a long time shipping magnate, George M. Steinbrenner first came to Tampa in the early 1970s in pursuit of expanding the family maritime business.

He had come from his home state of Ohio to take a look at local ship builder, bought the place, and chose to stay.

"Tampa is a great city" said Steinbrenner in a 2005 interview with Tampa Bay Metro Magazine. "The people make it great. New York’s my home away from home, but I love Tampa, my wife loves Tampa."

And Tampa loved 'The Boss.'

While Steinbrenner is known the world over for stirring things up with his New York Yankees, the Tampa area knows his heart is among the biggest in that world.

George Steinbrenner and his family have been one of Tampa’s biggest philanthropic forces, donating resources to literally hundreds of charitable ventures and there are likely countless examples of support that have never been revealed.

It was well known that Steinbrenner loved to help disadvantaged children, athletes, coaches, musicians, law enforcement, firefighters, and members of the armed forces.

Steinbrenner underwrote the Gold Shield Foundation, which helps families of slain local law enforcement officers. He started the Silver Shield Foundation which does the same in New York.

He donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to area schools. He has provided a quarter million dollars to Tampa Catholic to upgrade their football facility. He donated enough to the Academy of Holy Names to build an aquatic center. He paid for several high school bands to travel to various events - Gaither High School once got $25,000 for a trip to Washington for a presidential inauguration. He hosted an annual banquet to recognize high school coaches. He sponsored an annual high school football tournament at Raymond James Stadium.

He and his family help support the Boys & Girls Clubs, The Salvation Army, the Warrior Foundation and Feeding America. For years he sponsored a children's holiday concert at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. He has sent Yankees players to a camp for terminally ill children. And the list goes on and on.

Many in and around the Tampa Bay area have honored him over the years. Steinbrenner was named the Civitan Club's "Outstanding Citizen" in 1993. In 1998, Tampa Law Enforcement called him the "Citizen of the Year."

In 2009, Hillsborough County opened George M. Steinbrenner High School. In 2008, the Yankees spring training home was renamed Steinbrenner Field. He helped build the emergency center at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital, and it bears his name, as does a Boys and Girls Club in Tampa.

Although the man with the great big heart has moved on, he will forever be a part of Tampa Bay.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/Steinbrenner-loved-Tampa,-and-the-feeling-is-mutual

Keller
07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
There are no estate taxes this year. His heirs are cackling in glee.

There is also no tax-free basis step-up.

So his heirs will end up paying the tax, they'll just have a couple decades of deferral.

Cephalopod
07-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Sad, although he definitely had a good, long run.

Whether you like him or not, he sure as shit changed the game.

Cephalopod
07-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Also, obligatory:
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/4/112/n53200773574_6667.jpg

peam
07-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Why.. because he spent excessively on making the Yankees a championship team? If there really was a God, I'm not sure he would consider that a sin that is deserving of eternal suffering.

Because "Hope they serve calzones in Heaven, George" doesn't sound nearly as snappy, you elderly douche.

Stunseed
07-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Isn't that what he sent George after in that episode of Seinfeld?

Not a big fan, but I faintly remember something to the extent.

peam
07-13-2010, 05:06 PM
http://www.neg9.com/debunk/thats_the_joke.jpg

Parkbandit
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Because "Hope they serve calzones in Heaven, George" doesn't sound nearly as snappy, you elderly douche.

Probably too soon... but then again, when you are barely 12 years old, you probably don't have a good filter for inappropriate things to write... do you kiddo?

When you hit puberty and your tiny little balls finally drop, you might understand this.

peam
07-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Probably too soon... but then again, when you are barely 12 years old, you probably don't have a good filter for inappropriate things to write... do you kiddo?

When you hit puberty and your tiny little balls finally drop, you might understand this.

Just to make things clear, your basic qualm with my original post originates with the fact that I posted something that may be perceived as insensitive or inflammatory on the internet?

Parkbandit
07-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Just to make things clear, your basic qualm with my original post originates with the fact that I posted something that may be perceived as insensitive or inflammatory on the internet?

Not really. I just enjoy pointing out the ignorance of stupid people.

Let me guess.. not a Yankees fan? Shock.

EasternBrand
07-13-2010, 07:35 PM

Wait, aren't you a Rays fan?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, I forgot they've played in Tampa in the spring longer than the Rays have been in existence. But still, same division, etc.

Ardwen
07-13-2010, 07:41 PM
As a diehard Red Sox fan, I'd have to say this is a loss for baseball, He helped usher in the modern era of baseball, an era in whcih the sox were able to finally break the curse. And as much as I thought he could be an ass, he was indeed one hell of a humanitarian.

Sean of the Thread
07-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I hate the spankees and most know that.

That being said George was an icon and a great philanthropist. He did TONS and TONS for the Tampa Bay area.

All the stankee shit aside he will be missed.

RIP George.

Keller
07-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Not really. I just enjoy pointing out the ignorance of stupid people.

How do you get off calling someone else ignorant when this entire pissing contest originated from you not being aware of the basis of peam's joke?

Parkbandit
07-13-2010, 08:18 PM
How do you get off calling someone else ignorant when this entire pissing contest originated from you not being aware of the basis of peam's joke?

Keller Stalker Alert level 6.

I was well aware of the Calzone connection.. I simply didn't believe that Steinbrenner was destined to Hell, given his contributions to society.

Sorry to confuse you so much. I'll attempt to dumb it down next time, just for you.

Keller
07-13-2010, 08:25 PM
I was well aware of the Calzone connection..

I believe you. Really, I do.

Parkbandit
07-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I believe you. Really, I do.

Like I could give two shits if you believe me or not? Come on, you know me better than that.

Let's just say I've watched every episode of Seinfeld multiple times. In that episode, it was raining out and Kramer used the pizza oven to attempt to dry his coat and it burned. He also attempted to purchase the calzones for George/George with coins.. which was refused.

Keller
07-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Like I could give two shits if you believe me or not? Come on, you know me better than that.

Let's just say I've watched every episode of Seinfeld multiple times. In that episode, it was raining out and Kramer used the pizza oven to attempt to dry his coat and it burned. He also attempted to purchase the calzones for George/George with coins.. which was refused.

Looks like you care enough to try to prove I am right.
:love:

Rinualdo
07-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Anyone see Rush Limbaugh's comments about Steinbrinner yesterday?

NEW YORK - Rush Limbaugh had his own view of George Steinbrenner.

"That cracker made a lot of African-American millionaires," the radio commentator said Tuesday on his show after the New York Yankees owner died at age 80. "He fired a bunch of white guys as managers left and right."

Rev. Al Sharpton called Limbaugh's statements "repugnant and offensive whether they were intended to be facetious or tongue and cheek."

"For the last 20-years I have known George Steinbrenner and we have quarreled over diversity and community programs but I always found him fair, direct, and genuinely prone to do what he felt was right," Sharpton said in a statement. "He generated a lot of money for a lot of players as well as for baseball as a whole. ... Mr. Limbaugh and his broadcasters owe his family an apology."

Staying classy!

Stanley Burrell
07-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Bob Sheppard (A.K.A. The Voice of the Yankees) died the day before :(

I am way more upset as a Yankee fan about Sheppard dying than Steiny Sr. :shrug:

peam
07-15-2010, 10:09 AM
http://jockpost.com/george-steinbrenner-new-team-new-hades-yankees/