PDA

View Full Version : Brewster's Scripters

Deathravin
07-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Let me tell ya a little story, Player. When I was seven years old, my daddy caught me smoking a cigar. Locked me in a broom closet for two days and two nights with nothing more than a box of cigars and a book of matches. No food, Player. No water, just those god damn cigars. Wouldn't let me out till I finished every last one of them. Taught me one HELL of a lesson! I'm gonna do to you what my daddy did to me. I'm gonna teach you to HATE AFK scripting. I'm gonna make you so sick of writing and maintaining scripts that the mere sight of a FE will make you wanna throw up!

So, here's my proposition: you have a new server on which to script your heart out.

Anybody getting a tad bored/annoyed/frustrated with scripting?

HJFudge
07-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Scripting is pretty boring. I do it when Im AFK only as to not be 'wasting time'.

Hence why Im doing what Im doing. Its at least exciting!

Monotonous
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm absolutely loving it. I love to program and tackle logic puzzles, and scripting Gemstone presents almost endless possibilities in that respect.

I would imagine people would get frustrated/bored if they're just running Bigshot and not much else. They aren't really scripting anything themselves -- just running someone's program that dumbs down Gemstoen for them.

Deathravin
07-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Well I made all my own stuff and it's passably working right now. I can make vast improvements but even with making something that works 100% perfectly will only improve my performance by maybe 4-5%.

There's certainly more facets to what I can do and things I should write. But in general I don't really think I'm "Bored" But i HAVE done this all before. And I have another few weeks before I catch up to my plat guys. I dunno. I have no reason to not keep going... I am really very curious how capping is going to be. I have a feeling it's going to be an all-out brawl on the few capped areas. (well that, and that I've never had a character above level 60)

Monotonous
07-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Well I made all my own stuff and it's passably working right now. I can make vast improvements but even with making something that works 100% perfectly will only improve my performance by maybe 4-5%.

There's certainly more facets to what I can do and things I should write. But in general I don't really think I'm "Bored" But i HAVE done this all before. And I have another few weeks before I catch up to my plat guys. I dunno. I have no reason to not keep going... I am really very curious how capping is going to be. I have a feeling it's going to be an all-out brawl on the few capped areas. (well that, and that I've never had a character above level 60)
I've been playing since December 1995 and never had a character over 45 if you can believe it. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the end-game stuff. There's no way it would ever happen without AFK scripting.

I think the PvP will keep it interesting at cap.

Cthulu
07-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I've been playing since December 1995 and never had a character over 45 if you can believe it. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the end-game stuff. There's no way it would ever happen without AFK scripting.

I think the PvP will keep it interesting at cap.

I dont have the patience. I need strife while I level, or I'll lose interest. Enemies make this game so much better.

Methais
07-03-2010, 08:43 PM

The key is to do it while you're afk.

Ribbons
07-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Nope, didn't 'fix' it. Carry on folks. Ignore me.

Drunken Durfin
07-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Writing scripts to overcome problems would be the only real reason I play anymore...keeps my programming sharp for when I have to deal with work-related issues.