PDA

View Full Version : What about MYCHAR?

HarmNone
08-30-2003, 08:01 PM
I understand MYCHAR is a method by which your emote is "heard" behind the scenes, by the staff. I would love to know how it works, and how many actually use it.

HarmNone

Vesi
08-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
I understand MYCHAR is a method by which your emote is "heard" behind the scenes, by the staff. I would love to know how it works, and how many actually use it.

HarmNone

I use it at times. Sometimes I'm alone, sometimes with a bunch of people. I don't really know how it works as far as GMs go. It just makes more sense for my characters to use it when alone instead of talking outloud. (like when they are upset or something) I normally type mychar thinks <whatever>.

If I am performing a ritual alone, I do talk outloud however.

I use it more as a personal roleplay tool than anything.

Vesi

Weedmage Princess
08-31-2003, 08:49 AM
Learn something new everyday. I never heard of the MYCHAR thing.

I normally talk outloud to myself, or sometimes ACT. Even when I am alone...

Both in Gem and IRL. Is that bad? *stare*

StrayRogue
08-31-2003, 09:47 AM
MYCHARA, yes, is used for behind the scenes use in a GM event.

Like when you are slaying the dwarven merchant for no apparent reason you could:
MYCHARA does not like Dwarf characters; they raped my mom when I was three.
Only the GM would see it. Of course their character could not react with that knowledge.

The other variation is MYCHARA thinks. This replicates thinking:
>MYCHARA thinks Maimara stinks.
You think to yourself, "Maimara stinks".

Both are excellent tools (the first being more specific). Being a loner character who doesn't speak much, my think is a great way of verbalizing for you the player, just exactly how you are feeling etc. I use it quite a lot.

HarmNone
08-31-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
Learn something new everyday. I never heard of the MYCHAR thing.

I normally talk outloud to myself, or sometimes ACT. Even when I am alone...

Both in Gem and IRL. Is that bad? *stare*

If it is, you have a great deal of company in whatever trouble it brings. ;)

HarmNone babbles to herself

HarmNone
08-31-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
MYCHARA, yes, is used for behind the scenes use in a GM event.

Like when you are slaying the dwarven merchant for no apparent reason you could:
MYCHARA does not like Dwarf characters; they raped my mom when I was three.
Only the GM would see it. Of course their character could not react with that knowledge.

The other variation is MYCHARA thinks. This replicates thinking:
>MYCHARA thinks Maimara stinks.
You think to yourself, "Maimara stinks".

Both are excellent tools (the first being more specific). Being a loner character who doesn't speak much, my think is a great way of verbalizing for you the player, just exactly how you are feeling etc. I use it quite a lot.

I think I would like MYCHARA thinks. It would lend itself well to my roleplaying style. Not sure what good the other one might be. Perhaps, it would help shy players get noticed more.

HarmNone

Tsa`ah
08-31-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm on the fence over this verb.

On one hand I think it can be a very useful tool for GMs. During quests events (small groups) it can be used by players to help direct the events taking place smoothly.

On the other hand I see it in the same light as "Warn". I have been to very few merchant events over the past year or so, but you can almost sense the frustration of GMs behind NPCs.

Imagine a room full of people that normally don't RP suddenly trying to RP and spamming the GM with MYCHAR every few seconds.

I think it has the potential to be a great RP tool. Unfortunately for any GM, it's mainly utilized (I would guess) by the attention addicted.

Betheny
08-31-2003, 05:15 PM
I use it constantly.

I'd post logs but I'm sure they'd be boring and Klaive would cream over the wraith.

CrystalTears
08-31-2003, 05:31 PM
I still don't and can't understand a good use for it. <shrugs>

I guess if you must enter your feelings just to see them on the screen instead of just keeping them in your head like you would with your own life, and then were noted somewhere for you to access like a diary, that would be one thing. But I still don't like it being used for a GM to use as information to involve the character in something.

The way I see it, if you can't say it or act it out, it wasn't meant to be seen or heard, therefore no one would ever know what you were thinking. No one ever hears what you are thinking, why is it alright because a GM can use it? I find it all very OOC.

You can't even say they are interior monologues because the only one who hears them is you and the GM. I consider Gemstone a book that everyone contributes to and reads to stay involved. If you can't share them or do them outloud then what's the point of doing it?

I'm really not mocking anyone that uses it, I just don't understand the point in a multiplayr roleplaying game.

Adhara
08-31-2003, 07:09 PM
I have known about it and have never used it because I don't feel the need to type what my characters think. I also think it should be modified so that GMs cannot see those messagings. Not remove it altogether as I can see some characters wanting it for their RP but just to remove the abused side of it. I do know quite a few people who use ONLY in front of GMs to say stuff they wouldn't say out loud.

Bestatte
09-02-2003, 07:49 AM
I think it's pretty funny that so many people here are saying that they don't see the point in typing what their characters are thinking.

You all -have- read the documentation on the "think" command, haven't you? You are thinking thoughts..which are being picked up by others. This was originally intended to be a roleplaying tool..and I have actually used it as such on occasion. And got blasted for it.

think Dangit all..this man is such a bore.

And everyone and their brother would get all over my case for "thinking senseless thoughts."

Well..guess what folks, sometimes thoughts are senseless.

I applaud the "mychar" command because it finally allows people who DO want to fully explore their character's personality to do so.

Just because no one else can see it...doesn't mean it's unneccesary. Unless the ONLY reason you're playing is to thrust yourself into the forefront and get noticed.

Some people like to just step into their character's lives and think their thoughts and do their activities and interact - or not - with whoever. Being able to "think" without the whole telepathy thing kicking in is a great idea.

In another game there is actually a risk to this - that a certain skill-set of a very rare quality of roleplayer can read those thoughts. It adds a lot of drama to the game when you can "think you're thinking" to yourself, only to find out a month later that the reason your character died was because someone with that other skill picked up your thought about killing the noble or whatever..and had you whacked before you could complete the task.

I LOVE the idea of mychar, and would wish others would take time to consider the significance of it, for the sake of their own roleplay and not for any other reason.

CrystalTears
09-02-2003, 08:12 AM
I would probably accept it more if it wasn't used by GMs AT ALL.

Tsa`ah
09-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Just because no one else can see it...doesn't mean it's unneccesary. Unless the ONLY reason you're playing is to thrust yourself into the forefront and get noticed.

And that is why I dis-like it so much.

The attention addicted. Those people who will never use it unless they are sure a GM is looking. Or those that use it so constantly in hopes a GM will see it.

I can see a Witchhaven or a Vif constantly using it. Lump those people in with merchant whores who only role-play in front of a merchant in hopes that they will get thrown a bone, and bam, you have one severely useless or crippled tool that the rest of the population will never use.

It has great potential, but it's rather like serving a good cognac at a tailgate party.

HarmNone
09-02-2003, 05:35 PM
There are certainly pros and cons to this command, as there are to almost any command. It seems a shame that those who might really make good use of this tool are crippled by those who must misuse *any* tool.

To use MYCHAR in "think" mode is a matter of preference, I think. Some people become so immersed in the character they are playing that they would enjoy being able to think as that character might think. As long as the "thought" is visible only to the player who "thinks" it, I see no problem with that one. It is a matter of personal preference only.

For a shy person, or someone playing a very quiet, introverted character, MYCHAR could open an avenue through which to communicate this character's motivations to those behind the scenes. I can see the value of that from both perspectives.

HarmNone, interested

[Edited on 9-2-2003 by HarmNone]

Taernath
09-02-2003, 05:49 PM
I don't use it because if a GM can't pick up from my words, actions or ACT commands how I'm portraying my character, then using MYCHAR THINKS feels somewhat OOC.

Vesi
09-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Bestatte
In another game there is actually a risk to this - that a certain skill-set of a very rare quality of roleplayer can read those thoughts. It adds a lot of drama to the game when you can "think you're thinking" to yourself, only to find out a month later that the reason your character died was because someone with that other skill picked up your thought about killing the noble or whatever..and had you whacked before you could complete the task.

I LOVE the idea of mychar, and would wish others would take time to consider the significance of it, for the sake of their own roleplay and not for any other reason.

Would be neat if the new Savant profession had a spell that interacted with mychar.

Vesi