PDA

View Full Version : Killing other players issue

Pages : [1] 2

Khariz
06-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Okay, I'm going to post my response to a conversation I'm having with Durfin privately. I'm not going to make any of his words public, but he can do so if he wishes.

Basically, he's telling me how disappointed in me he is because he thought I was a better person. This is my response to that:

This is A FUCKING PVP SERVER. I'm not a fluffy bunny like I was in prime. This is a NO RULES ATMOSPHERE where people can do WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT.

I'm ALLOWED TO KILL PEOPLE. Why do you expect me to act civil and happy go lucky in Shattered? I honestly don't understand that. I seriously don't.

I don't have to act the same way in Shattered as I did in prime. Why do you expect me to? I'm playing a different character here. Perhaps I should have chosen a different name so that people don't think I'm acting the same way, but it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that you are taking this personally and holding this against me in real life.

Seriously, think about it. Who is the one with the problem here? The character in the roleplaying game who kills other characters to extort money out of them in a server where that is allowed, or the person, who in real life, gets mad at another person in real life for playing that way.

I mean what I say here. I honestly need to know the following things:

1. Why is my character expected to behave the same way in Shattered as he did in Prime?

2. Why do I, as a player, have to play my character the same way as I did in Prime?

3. Why, in a server where there are no rules, am I not allowed to kill people?

4. Why, when I'm staying in character and killing people to extort money from them (which Cthulu may not be doing, but I am), do people take the killings so personally in real life? (Note: I cannot tell if you are AFK or not when I'm waiting for you to walk in and out of town. I'm going to kill you and attempt to extort you either way).

I'm not being facetious. I really don't understand why I have to be a behaved fluffy bunny in the Shattered server. I was the nicest guy in the world in Prime for many years, because that's how I chose to evolve my character. I don't have to play the same way in Shattered.

You ever played Shadowbane, WoW, or any other game that allowed PvP? Dying in your hunting ground, or merely walking around, is part of the game in servers where that is allowed, and arguably the point.

You may not play Shattered to PvP and to be PvP'ed. That doesn't mean I don't. It doesn't mean you get to tell me to "leave you alone" if you don't like it. You can fight back, or you can quit, and go play Disneyfied GS in Prime again.

This server isn't for everyone. People who get mad in real life because someone killed them probably shouldn't play Shattered. It's unhealthy.

Deathravin
06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Things are going to get crazy quick when people start capping.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
These people DO enjoy killing, Khariz. They just need a crux to blame because they are too cowardly to be overt killers.

And that's really the gist of it. They wouldn't BE on shattered if they didn't want to butt heads. The people need an enemy - and hell if I'm not going to be it.

Liberi Fatali
06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I suppose it all depends on how many times people are getting slaughtered. If you got killed so many times that your death's sting is at maximum, it makes the game thoroughly annoying, and not the least bit entertaining. However, everyone clicked the "I accept" these terms, so there should be no real issue with this type of scenario. Again, though, with the terrible EXP penalties, it makes the game a lot less fun.

What if you were in his shoes, though? What if I brought in Jenovadeath and imploded you over 20 times in a week, cursed your weapon/shield, imploded them as well, and continued to do this for a month straight? Would you log back on?

I can see why people getting killed are mad, but it's part of this game. I know I would be pissed if someone killed me for no reason (especially repeatedly). I don't know what else to say, though -- it's just to be expected.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Things are going to get crazy quick when people start capping.

I agree. I fully expect retribution. I accept that, and I'm not going to get mad IRL about it.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 01:52 PM
These people DO enjoy killing, Khariz. They just need a crux to blame because they are too cowardly to be overt killers.

And that's really the gist of it. They wouldn't BE on shattered if they didn't want to butt heads. The people need an enemy - and hell if I'm not going to be it.

Yeah, I'm fine with being the enemy too. I just wish people would let me, instead of getting huffy about it in real life. I'm just playing a game here.

g++
06-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Okay, I'm going to post my response to a conversation I'm having with Durfin privately. I'm not going to make any of his words public, but he can do so if he wishes.

Basically, he's telling me how disappointed in me he is because he thought I was a better person. This is my response to that:

I mean what I say here. I honestly need to know the following things:

1. Why is my character expected to behave the same way in Shattered as he did in Prime?

2. Why do I, as a player, have to play my character the same way as I did in Prime?

3. Why, in a server where there are no rules, am I not allowed to kill people?

4. Why, when I'm staying in character and killing people to extort money from them (which Cthulu may not be doing, but I am), do people take the killings so personally in real life? (Note: I cannot tell if you are AFK or not when I'm waiting for you to walk in and out of town. I'm going to kill you and attempt to extort you either way).

I'm not being facetious. I really don't understand why I have to be a behaved fluffy bunny in the Shattered server. I was the nicest guy in the world in Prime for many years, because that's how I chose to evolve my character. I don't have to play the same way in Shattered.

You ever played Shadowbane, WoW, or any other game that allowed PvP? Dying in your hunting ground, or merely walking around, is part of the game in servers where that is allowed, and arguably the point.

You may not play Shattered to PvP and to be PvP'ed. That doesn't mean I don't. It doesn't mean you get to tell me to "leave you alone" if you don't like it. You can fight back, or you can quit, and go play Disneyfied GS in Prime again.

This server isn't for everyone. People who get mad in real life because someone killed them probably shouldn't play Shattered. It's unhealthy.

I have experience with this sort of thing from WoW. Next time replace the well thought out articulate reasoning for your behavior with "lolumad lolubad later brah"

Ashliana
06-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I suppose it just boils down to what type of person you are, what type of person you want to roleplay, or not, for whatever reason.

For some people, Shattered is simply about being free to exert your influence in the world as it "should" be felt. Not like in Prime where someone acts like an asshole, only to turn around and use WARN when they're about to get what's coming to them, which makes no sense from any sort of roleplaying perspective. "Yes, I killed your in-game daughter. Oh, no. No retaliation. Warn!"

For others, like Mordechai's group, it's about being the hugest douche you can possibly be, and trying to upset the player behind the character, completely irrespective of the roleplaying. Or, seems to be, at any rate.

For others, it's simply to enjoy the mechanics of the game, as a game, and not a means to roleplay. They want to level. Shattered isn't dedicated to one type above the others, but the griefing PKers are definitely in the minority.

You're going to get shit, for intentionally being an asshole. How is this news to you? People are going to think poorly of someone who goes out of their way to piss off other people. Shocker.

AnticorRifling
You ragin? U Mad?

NERD RAGE

Also Khariz you're gonna need some bigger pants, seems Cthulu wants to swing from them nuts.

Cthulu
I have experience with this sort of thing from WoW. Next time replace the well thought out articulate reasoning for your behavior with "lolumad lolubad later brah"

lol

Fallen
06-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I think it all boils down to whether or not you care about ruining other people's enjoyment of the game. I've always tried to hold that condition as important when playing any multi-player game, especially gemstone. If you stop caring about whether or not you're ruining other people's experience, or can only have fun BY ruining other people's experience, don't be surprised when people view you as a shitbird.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Ding ding ding. I think the draw for shattered for most was the chance to finish conflicts without having to resort to warns and reports, not OH HAI I R DOUCHE BAG GRIEFIN CAUSE I HAS 4 ACCOUNTS KK

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I suppose it just boils down to what type of person you are, what type of person you want to roleplay, or not, for whatever reason.

For some people, Shattered is simply about being free to exert your influence in the world as it "should" be felt. Not like in Prime where someone acts like an asshole, only to turn around and use WARN when they're about to get what's coming to them, which makes no sense from any sort of roleplaying perspective. "Yes, I killed your in-game daughter. Oh, no. No retaliation. Warn!"

For others, like Mordechai's group, it's about being the hugest douche you can possibly be, and trying to upset the player behind the character, completely irrespective of the roleplaying. Or, seems to be, at any rate.

For others, it's simply to enjoy the mechanics of the game, as a game, and not a means to roleplay. They want to level. Shattered isn't dedicated to one type above the others, but the griefing PKers are definitely in the minority.

You're going to get shit, for intentionally being an asshole. How is this news to you? People are going to think poorly of someone who goes out of their way to piss off other people. Shocker.

There's certainly some merit to your response, though I contend being the bad guy is every bit as legit as playing the game mechanic loving gamebody. The problem with your logic, as *I* see it, is that there arlready exists an entire server dedicated to the one - why begrudge the other for taking advantage of the same thing?

The server was designed for strife. And that's really all there is to it.

We'll be your Dark Knight, baby.

Drisco
06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I think what you are doing is great Khariz. I do hope that you are a little bit thoughtful when killing someone. If you are camping a character to the point where they are like eff this I would rather not play anymore and log out, that is a bit much. But going around killing everyone a couple of times a day I don't think so wrong. Then again I'm not playing and I'm not the frustrated ones. Then again I like to be nice all the time and wait for people to piss me off and then I have at them.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I think it all boils down to whether or not you care about ruining other people's enjoyment of the game. I've always tried to hold that condition as important when playing any multi-player game, especially gemstone. If you stop caring about whether or not you're ruining other people's experience, or can only have fun BY ruining other people's experience, don't be surprised when people view you as a shitbird.

That's not what I'm doing though. I don't stand there all day long and kill everyone for the fuck of it.

Once per night, I go out on an extortion raid. We kill as many people as we can, tell them they won't be killed again if they pay up. We collect millions of silvers per night doing this.

People can pay to be protected, left alone, or they can join the group! It's not just griefing. I have no idea of some of the members of the group just grief with no other intent, but I don't. I'm making tons of silvers and having a blast doing it. It's basically a little GS extortion ring that really works so far. Our list of protectees is pretty large.

I would say at least 50% of the people we kill play along, maybe 20% pay up, and the rest get pissed. I'm not just doing it to piss people off. If they don't pay up though, they can expect to be killed again the following evening, or 5 minutes later if we are still in the middle of the same extortion raid.

We don't do it all day every day though. I'm not trying to hinder people's progess for more than 10 mins out of the day, in the hopes that they pay up. It's not that big of a deal.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Use moar feras it's what pro pvp is all about!!!

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
That's not what I'm doing though. I don't stand there all day long and kill everyone for the fuck of it.

Once per night, I go out on an extortion raid. We kill as many people as we can, tell them they won't be killed again if they pay up. We collect millions of silvers per night doing this.

People can pay to be protected, left alone, or they can join the group! It's not just griefing. I have no idea of some of the members of the group just grief with no other intent, but I don't. I'm making tons of silvers and having a blast doing it. It's basically a little GS extortion ring that really works so far. Our list of protectees is pretty large.

I would say at least 50% of the people we kill play along, maybe 20% pay up, and the rest get pissed. I'm not just doing it to piss people off. If they don't pay up though, they can expect to be killed again the following evening, or 5 minutes later if we are still in the middle of the same extortion raid.

We don't do it all day every day though. I'm not trying to hinder people's progess for more than 10 mins out of the day, in the hopes that they pay up. It's not that big of a deal.

So which is it, is it I or is it we? You make the English teachers cry man!

g++
06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Thats actually pretty awsome. What does the money go toward? Is this a ring or just you?

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
I think what you are doing is great Khariz. I do hope that you are a little bit thoughtful when killing someone. If you are camping a character to the point where they are like eff this I would rather not play anymore and log out, that is a bit much. But going around killing everyone a couple of times a day I don't think so wrong. Then again I'm not playing and I'm not the frustrated ones. Then again I like to be nice all the time and wait for people to piss me off and then I have at them.

NONE of us are doing that. I'm rather indiscriminate in my murdering - but I truly don't want to cause *ANYONE* to quit - not even those on our permanent DNK lists. That's not good for the server, and everyone in the marlu clan has invested some time into this and enjoys the concept of this server.

I have never corpse camped, nor will I ever unless it's to relay a message.

Deathravin
06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
To be fair, I'm only playing Shattered because there's no scripting rules. I could give 2 shits about the pvp or lack of GMs.

Personally I think GMs can give quite a bit of fun to the atmosphere of the game. I, however, don't feel they could be at all as active as they are on pvp in prime.

Basically GMs should make the game fun, but not chastise me for how I play it.

Some Rogue
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. That's really not a valid excuse.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Thats actually pretty awsome. What does the money go toward? Is this a ring or just you?

It's a ring. This is Mordechai's group not mine. We split the profits after each raid.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. That's really not a valid excuse.

Thank you internet moral compass.

ThadJarvis
06-28-2010, 02:08 PM

I can see some of those people who do get upset with you coming back later once they've stopped scripting to camp your corpse. There are still people sitting quietly in the corner leveling up.

As for me, I'm not bothered by it much. The one time I did pass through one of your "extortion raids," you did manage to kill me, which is fine. I simply improved my scripts and lost about 720 exp. Life goes on.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't know the levels or how many in the group but I'm hoping the people you extort get together and camp your shit until you can't do anything. Organized crime is always great until pressed.

This does look like potential for fun though. It's the same when we go lock down an alliance town for a few hours.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't know the levels or how many in the group but I'm hoping the people you extort get together and camp your shit until you can't do anything. Organized crime is always great until pressed.

This does look like potential for fun though. It's the same when we go lock down an alliance town for a few hours.

Truly, hope for this as well. I want to see someone do something about it. it will be more entertaining for us as well, if people will put up a fight against the extortion.

In real life we have Police when the mafia extorts. Where are the good guys in Gemstone? Have at us!

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
From the logs they posted, and I could be wrong, it looks like you guys just walk into an area and start blasting away.

So do you instead try and get the person to pay your ransom or do you just kill them first? Especially if you have never met the character before, what do you do?

Also from the logs, and I might have to go dig, but I believe there was one area where people were resting and a healer was healing or something and everyone just got blasted, and they had a good chuckle about it.

Have things changed since then?

Also, if you are so into killing people, why do you have to do it in a group? Where is the uniqueness in that? Is making a few million silvers worth being a sheep?

If you were doing what you say you are doing solo more often then in a band, actually fighting with people it probably wouldn't be such a big deal to some.

g++
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Yah I think it will be fun until someone like Deathravin caps and gets bored and figures out he can make money easily destroying the level 50 characters that spent their time making gangs instead of scripting.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM

That's sort of the point. If we didn't want enemies, we wouldn't be playing the bad guys. Come at us.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
From the logs they posted, and I could be wrong, it looks like you guys just walk into an area and start blasting away.

So do you instead try and get the person to pay your ransom or do you just kill them first? Especially if you have never met the character before, what do you do?

Also from the logs, and I might have to go dig, but I believe there was one area where people were resting and a healer was healing or something and everyone just got blasted, and they had a good chuckle about it.

Also, if you are so into killing people, why do you have to do it in a group? Where is the uniqueness in that? Is making a few million silvers worth being a sheep?

If you were doing what you say you are doing solo more often then in a band, actually fighting with people it probably wouldn't be such a big deal to some.

I'm not doubting this has happened. All I can say is, I've been a member of the group for like 4 days or something, and I've never done anything but kill someone and ask them to pay up. Many people log out before they can be extorted, either because they are manually or script slamming. I can't very well extort them when they do.

We kill first. Out gimmick is "if you would have paid protection, this wouldn't have happened". You'd be surprised how often the response is "cool, how much is it?" We drag them, raise them, let them pay up, and add them to our universal safe list.

It's pretty neat actually.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 02:14 PM

We kill first, inform about the payments for protection, and then collect.

Slapping people with a white glove and then engaging in duels of honor sounds like total fun too, maybe we'll reform.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Naw, you're just ethuggin in a group. You'll have your fun now and then folks are capped you'll be behind and they'll shut down your growth....or I would if I was playing. I'd just take down names, take my licks, and keep on truckin. Few months from now if you're still around it's days of camping til you log.

Liagala
06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Naw, you're just ethuggin in a group. You'll have your fun now and then folks are capped you'll be behind and they'll shut down your growth....or I would if I was playing. I'd just take down names, take my licks, and keep on truckin. Few months from now if you're still around it's days of camping til you log.
^^

Khariz
Yah I think it will be fun until someone like Deathravin caps and gets bored and figures out he can make money easily destroying the level 50 characters that spent their time making gangs instead of scripting.

I don't sacrifice my progess to do this. We start the raid on a full head for the most part, and I personally will take breaks from the raid to hunt if they last that long. I've maybe raided a cumulative total of 15 mins while belled.

The rest of the 23 hours a day I'm not raiding, my character is script hunting. I'm not losing out on much by doing this, and I'm making some bank.

I"m sure we'll suffer some brutal retaliation in the future, and that's only expected. I can't wait!

g++

I dont think it will ever end really because the capped players will get bored. When they stop making money protecting people from the gang they just join the gang and get protection money that way.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 02:18 PM
If I was doing it, I would act more like the bandits for tasks.

Walk in, kill their shit, while someone disables them. And then try and extort them. You still are going to kill plenty of afk scripters who won't check their logs and pay you ransom as you would if you just blasted them.

If that person runs or what not, I guess they would know they are then on your insta gib list. Nobody said anything about duels of honor.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I haven't interacted with you in-game, Khariz, and despite the fact that I think some of your justifications are ridiculous, you may be doing things right. I support the idea of a group of well role-played bad guys because it would enhance the game experience, but this Marlu group has a long way to go if it wants to reach that level. That means having characters you develop and actually roleplay, separating forum conversations from the game, and above all respecting others roleplaying experience. It's not *what* you're doing; it's how you're doing it. Right now, you're a bunch of juvenile, narcissistic, masturbatory toads. No one is ever going to respect you this way.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
I dont think it will ever end really because the capped players will get bored. When they stop making money protecting people from the gang they just join the gang and get protection money that way.

Correct. There is no such thing as a person who doesn't like killing. Anti's kill the killers, realize blood is delicious, join the killers.

We're just honest.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
I haven't interacted with you in-game, Khariz, and despite the fact that I think some of your justifications are ridiculous, you may be doing things right. I support the idea of a group of well role-played bad guys because it would enhance the game experience, but this Marlu group has a long way to go if it wants to reach that level. That means having characters you develop and actually roleplay, separating forum conversations from the game, and above all respecting others roleplaying experience. It's not *what* you're doing; it's how you're doing it. Right now, you're a bunch of juvenile, narcissistic, masturbatory toads. No one is ever going to respect you this way.

I say that you can call some of them that, but not others. There's multiple people like me, who are leaving the board arguments out of it, and just playing the game in the game.

I think Mordechai and Cthulu chide you guys here because of the response they get. It's back to me thinking its silly for people to be getting mad about this in real life.

It's tempting to tease people who get mad about it. I'm trying hard not to though, as I don't think it helps anything, which is why I started this thread. I wanted to have a serious conversation about it, instead of just calling people names and telling everyone to fuck off.

Just letting everyone know that I may kill you, but that there's a reason for it. It's okay to think I'm being juvenile or masturbatory, but I assure you that I *personally* am generally not acting like that, despite what anyone may choose to believe.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Correct. There is no such thing as a person who doesn't like killing. Anti's kill the killers, realize blood is delicious, join the killers.

We're just honest.

I loved killing in GemStone. I was good at it. I picked my own battles and did it alone. I also didn't stroke my epenis with a crowd, pretend I was a bad guy (then it's ok guys look I'm a bad guy I said so hahahaha pwn oh shit need my group brb), etc.

I only ever turned on my camping/griefing to shut down a griefer.

Liagala
06-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I say that you can call some of them that, but not others. There's multiple people like me, who are leaving the board arguments out of it, and just playing the game in the game.

I think Mordechai and Cthulu chide you guys here because of the response they get. It's back to me thinking its silly for people to be getting mad about this in real life.

It's tempting to tease people who get mad about it. I'm trying hard not to though, as I don't think it helps anything, which is why I started this thread. I wanted to have a serious conversation about it, instead of just calling people names and telling everyone to fuck off.

Just letting everyone know that I may kill you, but that there's a reason for it. It's okay to think I'm being juvenile or masturbatory, but I assure you that I *personally* am generally not acting like that, despite what anyone may choose to believe.

You'd be a lot better off starting your own group, if that's your true intention. Allying with the existing one makes you look like a liar - coming here and preaching all this honor and RP stuff, then running around with people who do exactly the opposite.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 02:31 PM

There's a reason for it? What's the reason? You joined a group of fucktards and you're baa baa baaing right behind?

Mord, cthulu, and co love the attention, it's filling some hole. So of course they're going to goad people on.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
There's a reason for it? What's the reason? You joined a group of fucktards and you're baa baa baaing right behind?

Mord, cthulu, and co love the attention, it's filling some hole. So of course they're going to goad people on.

Cuts me to the core.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
1/10 fail troll. I'd say you can do better, but I'm not really sure.

Liagala
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
1/10 fail troll. I'd say you can do better, but I'm not really sure.
No, he's really pretty bad at trolling. It works on Briar and IW, because they're already pretty upset at the situation, but he's got nothing on the people who hang out in the Socializing folders.

Fortybox
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM

Well at least he will be communicating with the rest of the server. I think the only person that is really active at all that is high level is Bud/Tool. The rest are zombie scripters that do not provide any value to the shattered community imo.

Whatever, to each his own.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
No, he's really pretty bad at trolling. It works on Briar and IW, because they're already pretty upset at the situation, but he's got nothing on the people who hang out in the Socializing folders.

I agree. I'm sitting here trying so hard and you guys are TOTALLY not even talking about me.

g++
06-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Well at least he will be communicating with the rest of the server. I think the only person that is really active at all that is high level is Bud/Tool. The rest are zombie scripters that do not provide any value to the shattered community imo.

Whatever, to each his own.

I was not trying to come across as saying "someone like that asshole Deathravin". I just meant anyone who was high level and bored and used him because I thought he was the highest level person in the game on multiple characters.

Fortybox
06-28-2010, 03:06 PM
The problem with coming after these guys is that there is no support on the opposite end. Most people want to script and level up instead of taking the time to attack.

Even if people got together to police the Marlu clan it would be a large waste of time because they are known to log out or run to the table when bad things happen.

Furthermore, a lot of them are insomniacs and do a lot of griefing in the middle of the night. I had to stay up one night to finish a paper for my class and Mordechai is blabbering over LNET. I'm like it's 3 AM :wtf: .

Personally I am not for a justice system but I think it would help to lower the fines on killings so that people can defend themselves more.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
The problem with coming after these guys is that there is no support on the opposite end. Most people want to script and level up instead of taking the time to attack.

Even if people got together to police the Marlu clan it would be a large waste of time because they are known to log out or run to the table when bad things happen.

Furthermore, a lot of them are insomniacs and do a lot of griefing in the middle of the night. I had to stay up one night to finish a paper for my class and Mordechai is blabbering over LNET. I'm like it's 3 AM :wtf: .

Personally I am not for a justice system but I think it would help to lower the fines on killings so that people can defend themselves more.

I agree.

Fortybox
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I was not trying to come across as saying "someone like that asshole Deathravin". I just meant anyone who was high level and bored and used him because I thought he was the highest level person in the game on multiple characters.

He is. But to tell you the truth, I do enjoy having Mordechai et al in the game because it actually makes the community interesting. If it was just a bunch of people scripting all day I wouldn't be playing anymore. This is the last chance that I have given Simutronics (and I'm not one of those who keeps coming back--I haven't played since 1999).

Vindicate
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Have they talked about removing the Sting from PVP deaths?

Drunken Durfin
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Your inability to see anything from another person's perspective demonstrates your lack of mental capacity. I'm not in Shattered to butt heads with anyone. I actually came over to Shattered because I was tired of butting heads with asshole GMs that had nothing better to do than to enforce stupid anti-scripting policy for things like the forge.

I have never been attacked by any of you while I was actually at my keyboard. What you are doing is not PvP, it is just randomly killing players as if they were NPCs. Yeah, my script logs me out before I drop below 25% health, so I am not "giving you a chance to extort" me, but guess what...I would not pay you in the first place.

If the only way you can entertain yourselves is to try and make things a pain in the ass for other people who are doing nothing more than walking past you minding their own damn business then perhaps you should seek counseling or a new RL job where people are not shitting on you all day.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Your inability to see anything from another person's perspective demonstrates your lack of mental capacity. I'm not in Shattered to butt heads with anyone. I actually came over to Shattered because I was tired of butting heads with asshole GMs that had nothing better to do than to enforce stupid anti-scripting policy for things like the forge.

I have never been attacked by any of you while I was actually at my keyboard. What you are doing is not PvP, it is just randomly killing players as if they were NPCs. Yeah, my script logs me out before I drop below 25% health, so I am not "giving you a chance to extort" me, but guess what...I would not pay you in the first place.

If the only way you can entertain yourselves is to try and make things a pain in the ass for other people who are doing nothing more than walking past you minding their own damn business then perhaps you should seek counseling or a new RL job where people are not shitting on you all day.

It's your choice not to pay. It's also your choice to keep dying because of your stubbornness. This is how our little mob works. Pay and be safe. Don't...and don't.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Aha so you admit it. You are a douche.

Drunken Durfin
06-28-2010, 03:21 PM
It's your choice not to pay. It's also your choice to keep dying because of your stubbornness. This is how our little mob works. Pay and be safe. Don't...and don't.

None of you have killed me yet. Your little mob fails.

Fortybox
06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I think people need to realize is that there are no boundaries here. AFK, non-AFK does not matter.

It is anarchy at its best.

Liagala
06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I think you missed the part where he's not dying.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Generally it's the ones that want the free reign mob mentality as an excuse to be a douche that are the first to cry to mom when it gets turned around and their shit gets punched in. I'm looking forward to those logs. When you can't do shit because the scripts have been changed so that so and so is insta hunted and killed.

Fortybox
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Generally it's the ones that want the free reign mob mentality as an excuse to be a douche that are the first to cry to mom when it gets turned around and their shit gets punched in. I'm looking forward to those logs. When you can't do shit because the scripts have been changed so that so and so is insta hunted and killed.

That's what happened when I killed Kaseopea (for her big anus mouth over LNET) and Katze for killing me. Nerd rage!

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Hating us for actions you assume we'll do in the future! That movie would have been better without Tom Cruise.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
I think you missed the part where he's not dying.

My bad. I should have said "your script can keep slamming you":

[mlock]>stance offensive
[mlock]>wt feint Ifor
[Roll result: 126 (open d100: 11)]
Mordechai feints high, Ifor buys the ruse and twists awkwardly to block the blow that never came!
J>
[mlock]>stance offensive
[mlock]>wt feint Ifor
You are now in an offensive stance.
J>
[Roll result: 135 (open d100: 19) Bonus: 6]
You feint low, but Ifor isn't fooled for a second.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
...wait 3 seconds.
...wait 3 seconds.
JR>
You feel fully energetic again.
JR>
Cthulu swings a dark vultite maul at Ifor!
At the last moment, Ifor parries the blow with his lance!
JR>
Mordechai thrusts with a brass vultite lance at Ifor!
AS: +238 vs DS: +192 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +90 = +169
... and hits for 49 points of damage!
Well aimed shot, punctures upper arm!
He is stunned!
J>at
You swing a birch-hafted vultite war mattock at Ifor!
AS: +273 vs DS: +166 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +64 = +209
... and hit for 68 points of damage!
Right kneecap smashed into pulp.
He is knocked to the ground!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
JR>
Ifor just left.

Cause he wouldn't have died if the script didn't slam. Nope, no sir. His script will always slam him because its impossible to get a crit. He can play while slammed.

My point stands. Pay the toll, or don't.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
You wrote that novel at the beginning (which was TLDNR, btw) and your whole point is "pay the toll, or don't"?

Somehow I don't think that is the case.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 03:51 PM
3 of you and still failed to kill him outright. Pretty pro. Actually it was just 2 of you since Cthulu is just your nut warmer in that log as he didn't even connect.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n177/anticor/Misc/Spikechester1.jpg

You guys are a pack of Billy Bad Asses alright....

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
3 of you and still failed to kill him outright. Pretty pro. Actually it was just 2 of you since Cthulu is just your nut warmer in that log as he didn't even connect.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n177/anticor/Misc/Spikechester1.jpg

You guys are a pack of Billy Bad Asses alright....

Well shit, he's got ME figured out :(

Drunken Durfin
06-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Don't hold your breath.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I'll chime in.

I dont get the 'Oh your cool with what your doing Khariz, but those Marlu folk are total horrible people!'

He's doing what we do?

A few points.

1: We kill people first, as a) it really lets us relax and take the time to have a nice little chat with them without them running and b) it kinda brings home the seriousness of the bandit problem on the road.

2: We only corpse camp people who've got on our Rape List. Which is about 10 characters. If you arent on that list, you can get a drag, its fine. We'll even sometimes go out of our way to rescue you if we like the cut of your jib.

3: Dont assume that, simply because you just want to afk script, that we will let you be. You do not get to tell us how we should play, or who we can or cannot kill. We don't tell you how to play, please dont think you have some moral high ground telling US how to play. "ooooo you big bad meanies! you shouldn't kill others unless x y and z!"

4: We don't purposefully target people who are AFK. Sure, we dont CHECK beforehand but...thats been discussed as to why.

5: We are really nice people. None of this is Personal in any way :)

Gnomon
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM

I so read that as "Pay the troll".

http://i46.tinypic.com/kumc7.jpg

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
1) Oh as long as you're relaxing then it's cool, fuck everyone else.

3) Don't tell us how to play. But we're going to kill you so we're telling you how to play....hypocrit check

5) None of this is personal, but we've got a rape list....hypocrit check

I like how the post is all we we we, you guys hide behind that we blanket at all times so that's nice.

Cheesus
06-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I so read that as "Pay the troll".

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae315/cargal/ots_alwayssunny011.jpg

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 04:10 PM
What is the average level of the crew? Some of the logs are showing minor changes in attack strength.

Fortybox
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
What is the average level of the crew? Some of the logs are showing minor changes in attack strength.

Around 20-25ish

Liagala
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
I like how the post is all we we we, you guys hide behind that we blanket at all times so that's nice.
In his defense, he's been a pussy that way since day 1. http://www.forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=1116859&postcount=180

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
1) Oh as long as you're relaxing then it's cool, fuck everyone else.

3) Don't tell us how to play. But we're going to kill you so we're telling you how to play....hypocrit check

5) None of this is personal, but we've got a rape list....hypocrit check

1. Pretty much?

2. We're going to kill you even if you dont. The only thing that differs between those who get killed and those who dont is who has paid and who has not.

3. Even some of our rape list folk we joke back and forth with. Its not personal. Just because you cant seperate fantasy from reality doesnt mean the rest of us can. Oh dammit, Im egging on again. Disregard this point.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
In his defense, he's been a pussy that way since day 1. http://www.forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=1116859&postcount=180

Until I read that I was actually thinking of taking my team out tonight to look for them. But finding out they are 25 or so and then your link just tells me its not worth my time.

AnticorRifling
06-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Maybe you can get one of them alone? HAHAHAHAHA no they are attached at the balls. When you can't be your own man there's always WE!

Liagala
06-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Until I read that I was actually thinking of taking my team out tonight to look for them. But finding out they are 25 or so and then your link just tells me its not worth my time.
See this post (http://www.forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=1125496&postcount=32)

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
See this post (http://www.forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=1125496&postcount=32)

Yeah pretty much sums it up.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
People are only 25? Seems really low for as long as the game has been up. Or maybe I'm not remembering what a boring ass grind it is to level in Gemstone.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Some people are closer to 40 if not 40. This particular group of people, are being reported as around 25.

Drevihyin
06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/riverduck/Shattered-Dreams1.jpg

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Some people are closer to 40 if not 40. This particular group of people, are being reported as around 25.

I think Mordechai is their highest, at around 28-29. Khariz's character, from his AS, is probably in his high 20s, too.

Fortybox
06-28-2010, 04:24 PM
People are only 25? Seems really low for as long as the game has been up. Or maybe I'm not remembering what a boring ass grind it is to level in Gemstone.

No they are around level 25. Some people are approaching 40.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
I think Mordechai is their highest, at around 28-29. Khariz's character, from his AS, is probably in his high 20s, too.

Yeah. I was interested for a brief moment to see if I could test some of my cross character trigger scripts and go look for them.

But as previously mentioned. It does not appear to even be worth the beta test. Probably would see 5-6 hamstrings with Feras and thats it.

Liagala
06-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Maybe you can get one of them alone? HAHAHAHAHA no they are attached at the balls. When you can't be your own man there's always WE!

http://i.imgur.com/xQFs6.jpg

Tordane
06-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Some people are approaching 40.

Over-estimating just a bit.

ThadJarvis
06-28-2010, 04:41 PM

^^

Fortybox

No I'm not. People were level 36 around midweek last week. It's possible to be around 38 right now which is approaching 40.

BriarFox

Nah, there were people at 35 a few days back.

Deathravin
06-28-2010, 04:43 PM

38 and some change.
And I'm sure a table empath glitcher is higher than me by now.

Loyrl
06-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Only thing I dislike is the instant feints from scripts.

walk in
.1 second later get feinted
3 seconds after that, death.

/shrug oh well.

SneakyHobbitses
06-28-2010, 04:56 PM

They aren't. Calidus and Cthulu script and hang out in town square central. They go out alone, but they've got characters on other accounts on standby if they're attacked, so you'd better one or twoshot them.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Only thing I dislike is the instant feints from scripts.

walk in
.1 second later get feinted
3 seconds after that, death.

/shrug oh well.

There's a lot of mechanics in game that are unbalanced in certain situations. Seeing as this is simu - we can reasonably expect them to never GET fixed.

Latrinsorm
06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Basically, he's telling me how disappointed in me he is because he thought I was a better person. ... This is a NO RULES ATMOSPHERE where people can do WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT.Your statements imply that to some degree you always wanted to behave nefariously, and that only the threat of punishment kept you from doing so in Prime. It is reasonable to conclude from Durfin's reaction that he believed you behaved properly because you wanted to.

Characters aren't people, but characters are always played by people, and people merit consideration. I'm confident you agree when you state "It's not that big of a deal.": your position is not that character actions don't matter (or that it's "just a game"), your position is that they don't matter that much. Given how seriously you take the game, I would say it's a bit unsporting for you to try and poo-poo the magnitude of other peoples' reactions.
This server isn't for everyone. People who get mad in real life because someone killed them probably shouldn't play Shattered. It's unhealthy.Similarly, people who use Shattered as an avenue to express previously repressed desires are probably not engaging in healthy behavior.
We're just honest.I can't remember where, but I recall reading a comment about Lucy and the football - did she ever believe what she was saying?

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Your statements imply that to some degree you always wanted to behave nefariously, and that only the threat of punishment kept you from doing so in Prime. It is reasonable to conclude from Durfin's reaction that he believed you behaved properly because you wanted to.

Characters aren't people, but characters are always played by people, and people merit consideration. I'm confident you agree when you state "It's not that big of a deal.": your position is not that character actions don't matter (or that it's "just a game"), your position is that they don't matter that much. Given how seriously you take the game, I would say it's a bit unsporting for you to try and poo-poo the magnitude of other peoples' reactions.Similarly, people who use Shattered as an avenue to express previously repressed desires are probably not engaging in healthy behavior.I can't remember where, but I recall reading a comment about Lucy and the football - did she ever believe what she was saying?

And this is why there's so few famous female psychologists.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Characters aren't people, but characters are always played by people, and people merit consideration. I'm confident you agree when you state "It's not that big of a deal.": your position is not that character actions don't matter (or that it's "just a game"), your position is that they don't matter that much. Given how seriously you take the game, I would say it's a bit unsporting for you to try and poo-poo the magnitude of other peoples' reactions.Similarly, people who use Shattered as an avenue to express previously repressed desires are probably not engaging in healthy behavior.

But these are people playing characters that chose, willingly, to come into an environment where there would be PvP and Griefing and such. They KNEW this. They EXPECTED this (or should have).

Once again, I'm going to use the water park analogy.

Its like going to a water-park and expecting not to get wet. Its not rational, and you don't get to complain when someone splashes you. Well I guess you could complain, but no one would take you seriously.

Also, I dont get why its ok to try to limit our behavior, but we cannot try to limit yours (General You and Our here). You can tell us not to attack you and we should listen, but we can't tell you to pay or be killed because thats total douchery?

In both cases, the parties are trying to limit and influence the others behavior.

Khariz makes his points much clearer and more concise than I have, and they hold up under scrutiny. You may not agree with his actions, but that doesn't make him a bad person for engaging in them.

Gnomon
06-28-2010, 05:25 PM

We are past the 30 day point, and I thought that 40 the place to aim for then if you really wanted to show off how good your levelling script was. I am expecting someone to claim the first level 40 any time now.

Krienna
06-28-2010, 05:29 PM
And this is why there's so few famous female psychologists.

I think it could ultimately be summed up as: It's perfectly alright to play a character that is a complete douchebag and takes pride in fucking up the lives of others in the game. However, it's important to keep in mind that there is a player behind every character. I've played in Dark RP environments before where that was important to keep in mind, especially when dealing with some, umm, heavy types of RP. Interaction is so much more fun if both players are on the same page.

I guess it's the intentions of the player that matters. On one hand, someone could be playing the gang member that takes pride in extorting money from his or her prey. On the other hand, someone could simply be griefing and doing what they can to make the gaming experience of others more difficult. The victim could perceive both actions in either light, but the "offender" can also help alleviate any misunderstanding by simply explaining their OOC intentions for their IC actions.

As I'm not in the game and witnessing this stuff firsthand, I can't really speculate on it. Although, I've played the villain in RP environments before (never GS) and caught similar shit on forums for it. I guess some people perceive in-game actions as being a douchebag out of the game as well. Again, this is just me rambling with no knowledge of what is going on beyond logs here and there.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I think it could ultimately be summed up as: It's perfectly alright to play a character that is a complete douchebag and takes pride in fucking up the lives of others in the game. However, it's important to keep in mind that there is a player behind every character. I've played in Dark RP environments before where that was important to keep in mind, especially when dealing with some, umm, heavy types of RP. Interaction is so much more fun if both players are on the same page.

I guess it's the intentions of the player that matters. On one hand, someone could be playing the gang member that takes pride in extorting money from his or her prey. On the other hand, someone could simply be griefing and doing what they can to make the gaming experience of others more difficult. The victim could perceive both actions in either light, but the "offender" can also help alleviate any misunderstanding by simply explaining their OOC intentions for their IC actions.

As I'm not in the game and witnessing this stuff firsthand, I can't really speculate on it. Although, I've played the villain in RP environments before (never GS) and caught similar shit on forums for it. I guess some people perceive in-game actions as being a douchebag out of the game as well. Again, this is just me rambling with no knowledge of what is going on beyond logs here and there.

You mean like how I apparently am pre-pubescent and live in my moms basement?

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 05:39 PM

Wait...Cthulu...you mean your not? Damn. I was really hoping to get a whole basement gang going!

We must have a long, hard talk about your credentials...SIR!

Tea & Strumpets
06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Ding ding ding. I think the draw for shattered for most was the chance to finish conflicts without having to resort to warns and reports, not OH HAI I R DOUCHE BAG GRIEFIN CAUSE I HAS 4 ACCOUNTS KK

I equate it to when they had the test servers open during the switch to GS4. It was pretty fun running around with vorpal swords and a 10x dull butter knife for a little while, but it got boring after a bit.

I think I ran onto Methais on that test server, and I'd already been bumped up to level 200 or something. As I went to type "hello", the fucker rapid fired lightning at me and killed me. I was frantically trying to type HEALME so I could get resurrected and kill the fucker, but he lightning bolted himself in the face before I could get the command entered.

What a dick.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Wait...Cthulu...you mean your not? Damn. I was really hoping to get a whole basement gang going!

We must have a long, hard talk about your credentials...SIR!

I live in my dad's basement, and I am fat, mid-forties, unemployed, and have severe existentialist crises every time I stare too long at a nature-based T-shirt.

ALLY OOOP!

Krienna
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM

I suppose. The biggest problem with a completely freeform roleplaying environment that has little to no GM intervention and no rules is that some people expect everyone to behave like they normally would out in society. It's no different than a Horde or Alliance player getting killed over and over by the opposite faction before creating a character on that faction and chewing the other player out with a few choice words.

The biggest difference here is we can communicate with each other and have that nifty little OOC whisper function in addition to both the officials and the Player's Corner. Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see how people not behaving to the expectations of others means anything in a environment that specifically states there are no rules except blatant exploits of game mechanics.

Being a douchebag in a game doesn't necessarily mean that player is a douchebag in real life. Although, it's the hardest thing to get past when the rules (or lack of) allow such douchebaggery. Some people like playing the bad guys that everyone hates. It ultimately depends on what your intentions are. Are you there to grief? Or are you there to promote hatred and murderous intent toward your character?

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
I suppose. The biggest problem with a completely freeform roleplaying environment that has little to no GM intervention and no rules is that some people expect everyone to behave like they normally would out in society. It's no different than a Horde or Alliance player getting killed over and over by the opposite faction before creating a character on that faction and chewing the other player out with a few choice words.

The biggest difference here is we can communicate with each other and have that nifty little OOC whisper function in addition to both the officials and the Player's Corner. Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see how people not behaving to the expectations of others means anything in a environment that specifically states there are no rules except blatant exploits of game mechanics.

Being a douchebag in a game doesn't necessarily mean that player is a douchebag in real life. Although, it's the hardest thing to get past when the rules (or lack of) allow such douchebaggery. Some people like playing the bad guys that everyone hates.

I like your style Krienna. Good attitude! We should be friends.

Drevihyin
06-28-2010, 05:46 PM
After you pay the fee!

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
After you pay the fee!

Well, we can be friends even if she doesnt. But it'll be friends who kill each other!

Krienna
06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, we can be friends even if she doesnt. But it'll be friends who kill each other!

Hah. I do enjoy playing a villain in a roleplaying environment, but I get rather paranoid as a player while doing so. The last thing I want to do is piss off another player. I'd relish the moment they roleplay back while consumed with hatred prior to getting a lynch mob to seek revenge. That definitely makes it worthwhile. :p I have a bad habit of whispering OOCly that I couldn't hurt a fly or be mean if I wanted to out of the game. It's all in good fun.

If I do decide to turn on Shattered, then I guess I'll get welcomed to the madness properly.

Oh, anyone in this thread know if having a character in Shattered uses your character slot? Or, does the $5.00 add a second slot to the account?

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Being a douchebag in a game doesn't necessarily mean that player is a douchebag in real life. Although, it's the hardest thing to get past when the rules (or lack of) allow such douchebaggery. Some people like playing the bad guys that everyone hates. It ultimately depends on what your intentions are. Are you there to grief? Or are you there to promote hatred and murderous intent toward your character?

I feel we've all been clear about it. We want to be hated. We don't expect anything less, but find it fun when we make new friends - be they enemies or allies. Playing this game without enemies though? Fuck it, I'd quit within a week, personally.

And despite what they say - they enjoy having an enemy, too.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Hah. I do enjoy playing a villain in a roleplaying environment, but I get rather paranoid as a player while doing so. The last thing I want to do is piss off another player. I'd relish the moment they roleplay back while consumed with hatred prior to getting a lynch mob to seek revenge. That definitely makes it worthwhile. :p I have a bad habit of whispering OOCly that I couldn't hurt a fly or be mean if I wanted to out of the game. It's all in good fun.

If I do decide to turn on Shattered, then I guess I'll get welcomed to the madness properly.

Oh, anyone in this thread know if having a character in Shattered uses your character slot? Or, does the $5.00 add a second slot to the account?

It's another slot, like logging into plat

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
You get 1 character in Shattered and 1 in Prime for the basic fee, and after that, it's $2.50 per character per instance.

As to playing a bad guy in Shattered, please do. Just don't be an asshat. It's not that these guys with their mob ideas have a bad idea; it's that they're almost invariably assholes both in game and on the forums, and they don't separate the two.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 05:57 PM
You get 1 character in Shattered and 1 in Prime for the basic fee, and after that, it's $2.50 per character per instance.

As to playing a bad guy in Shattered, please do. Just don't be an asshat. It's not that these guys with their mob ideas have a bad idea; it's that they're almost invariably assholes both in game and on the forums, and they don't separate the two.

That hurts my feelings briar. I thought we were friends?

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 05:57 PM
That hurts my feelings briar. I thought we were friends?

We could be, if you'd stop trolling and take some of the suggestions I've made for improving your roleplay.

Some Rogue
06-28-2010, 05:58 PM
When you get killed by my main, then going after my alt from info you got from the boards because he's lower level and then coming after my main too really pokes holes in your "this is all roleplay" excuse.

Krienna
06-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I feel we've all been clear about it. We want to be hated. We don't expect anything less, but find it fun when we make new friends - be they enemies or allies. Playing this game without enemies though? Fuck it, I'd quit within a week, personally.

And despite what they say - they enjoy having an enemy, too.

Sometimes the best friends out of character make the best enemies in-character. It's fun to duke it out in the game while kicking back and laughing about the drama afterwards with each other outside of it. It's great when that happens since there's very little drama between players based on a conflict in the game. :) I understand completely.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 06:01 PM
We could be, if you'd stop trolling and take some of the suggestions I've made for improving your roleplay.

Hunh, any chance I could get you to compile a list of notes on how you want me to play and act in game and on the forums?

I'm eager to please!

Krienna
06-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Must...resist...temptation! I may just give it a month to see how I like it. As far as playing a villain, I really am tempted. No worries about being an asshat though. I don't think I could be mean outside of my character if I tried. I do have some ideas I'm playing around with in my head though!

When you get killed by my main, then going after my alt from info you got from the boards because he's lower level and then coming after my main too really pokes holes in your "this is all roleplay" excuse.

Yeah, that's what roleplay 101 calls metagaming. Well, sort of metagaming. I don't know what to call that, heh.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Hunh, any chance I could get you to compile a list of notes on how you want me to play and act in game and on the forums?

I'm eager to please!

Sigh. Sure, you can start with not trying to piss off players.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Yeah, that's what roleplay 101 calls metagaming. Well, sort of metagaming. I don't know what to call that, heh.

Sorta Metagaming is a good term.

We just RP it that, having connections around town, our informants told us that the two hung out together. So, typical mafia style, "I want him dead! I want his wife dead! I want his whole frackin family DEAD!" (imagine mafia accent here) type deal occurred.

Once again. Roleplay-Light.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Sigh. Sure, you can start with not trying to piss off players.

Too complicated. I don't think this friendship is going to work.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Too complicated. I don't think this friendship is going to work.

C'est la vie.

Krienna
06-28-2010, 06:07 PM

We just RP it that, having connections around town, our informants told us that the two hung out together. So, typical mafia style, "I want him dead! I want his wife dead! I want his whole frackin family DEAD!" type deal occurred.

I see. So, Platinum is Budweiser Select, Prime is regular Budweiser, and Shattered is Bud Light? :p

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
I see. So, Platinum is Budweiser Select, Prime is regular Budweiser, and Shattered is Bud Light? :p

Shattered is more like jungle juice, or Jonestown Kool-Aid.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Shattered is more like jungle juice, or Jonestown Kool-Aid.

I was gonna suggest Steel Reserve.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Heh. Not even that. Check out this thread (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=53030) for some examples of their "roleplaying." Post 28 is particularly choice. Though, make sure you read the next page or two as well.

Celephais
06-28-2010, 06:23 PM

We just RP it that, having connections around town, our informants told us that the two hung out together. So, typical mafia style, "I want him dead! I want his wife dead! I want his whole frackin family DEAD!" (imagine mafia accent here) type deal occurred.

You can say fuck on these forums.

And if it were an alt on the same account, they never once would have "hung out together". Just say you want to grief the player of the character, you're not fooling anyone, and you come off looking like a douchebag when you attempt to.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 06:26 PM

And if it were an alt on the same account, they never once would have "hung out together". Just say you want to grief the player of the character, you're not fooling anyone, and you come off looking like a douchebag when you attempt to.

'Fuck' is such a droll word, outside of the bed.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Oh because one of the characters MYSTERIOUSLY VANISHES when the other comes around.

Its...Roleplay. When a character is 'offline' they are assumed to be, well, whatever we want to assume really. No guidance is given. SO we assumed they were hanging out :)

Celephais
06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
'Fuck' is such a droll word, outside of the bed.

It's still preferable to "frackin" in the context of a terrible "mafia accent" (which is a facepalmable enough of a term), which just conjures up images of some neutered crime movie aimed at kids where ballshot jokes are the high end of the comedic spectrum.

Celephais
06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh because one of the characters MYSTERIOUSLY VANISHES when the other comes around.

Its...Roleplay. When a character is 'offline' they are assumed to be, well, whatever we want to assume really. No guidance is given. SO we assumed they were hanging out :)

I'd have a bit more respect for you if you just actually said you wanted to grief the player, at least then you're saying it's a means to an end. This grasping at straws justification is pretty sad.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I'd have a bit more respect for you if you just actually said you wanted to grief the player, at least then you're saying it's a means to an end. This grasping at straws justification is pretty sad.

Saying how Im 'justifying' and 'wrong' over and over doesnt make it actually true.

I think this is something you guys just dont understand.

Celephais
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Saying how Im 'justifying' and 'wrong' over and over doesnt make it actually true.

I think this is something you guys just dont understand.

Sort of like how your saying that you're roleplaying over and over doesn't make it actually true. I don't care if you don't roleplay, it's shattered, I wouldn't expect much roleplaying at all. But attempting to justify killing an alt as being within this roleplay of yours is pretty stupid. You're extorting people, and since it's difficult to influence people properly in the confines of the virtual world you have to use player/pc knowledge to allow your threats to have any weight against the typist. It's sort of like how cutting out their tongue just gives them what they want.

Sure, kill his alt, whatever, but don't act like it's anything less than it is, you're griefing him to get what you want out of his player character.

nub
06-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Will read the rest of the thread later but.... if your'e going to grief people, don't expect them to like you. You will be called an asshole because you are one. If it hurts your feelings that people are upset that you're killing them then maybe umm... stop?

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Will read the rest of the thread later but.... if your'e going to grief people, don't expect them to like you. You will be called an asshole because you are one. If it hurts your feelings that people are upset that you're killing them then maybe umm... stop?

No, my feelings arent hurt. Its just internet people being internet people. Believe as you wish! The truth remains the truth.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
No, my feelings arent hurt. Its just internet people being internet people. Believe as you wish! The truth remains the truth.

I think hes responding to the OP, whom does not grief.

Drisco
06-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Check your PM Celephais!

nub
06-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Yeah, talking to the OP, I didn't see a post of yours till the 5th page so, I already know you don't care. I know people like that.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I think hes responding to the OP, whom does not grief.

Doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm not the one upset. The people I'm killing are. This thread is to tell them that I find it silly they are taking it personally. I'm not emotionally invested in it. I'm playing a game. Everyone else should be too.

nub
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm not the one upset. The people I'm killing are. This thread is to tell them that I find it silly they are taking it personally. I'm not emotionally invested in it. I'm playing a game. Everyone else should be too.

So what is the point of your OP? You're trying to convince people that you aren't an asshole in the same breath you are convincing them you are one. If you don't care, (your feelings), then this was pointless.

If you're arguing, you care because you want to make sure people see things your way.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 07:18 PM
So what is the point of your OP? You're trying to convince people that you aren't an asshole in the same breath you are convincing them you are one. If you don't care, (your feelings), then this was pointless.

If you're arguing, you care because you want to make sure people see things your way.

I think it was more he kept getting the same question from multiple people, and instead of answering 20 different PM's, he decided to post his reasons. Now, if asked, he can simply refer to the post as to why.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM

No. Don't make assumptions. I asked QUESTIONS in the post. I'm trying to make the point that it's silly to expect me to be nice in a server where PVP is allowed.

I don't have any "feelings" about it. I have a point to make. My point is that it's stupid to be IN REAL LIFE emotionally invested in being killed in a game. Trust me, it doesn't make any difference to me whether people agree with me. I'm doing to do what I do regardless. I just wanted to point out to everyone how silly they are acting, getting mad over expected behavior in a game.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:21 PM
I think it was more he kept getting the same question from multiple people, and instead of answering 20 different PM's, he decided to post his reasons. Now, if asked, he can simply refer to the post as to why.

yes. that's pretty much it. I was a broken record there for a while.

nub
06-28-2010, 07:26 PM
No. Don't make assumptions. I asked QUESTIONS in the post. I'm trying to make the point that it's silly to expect me to be nice in a server where PVP is allowed.

I don't have any "feelings" about it. I have a point to make. My point is that it's stupid to be IN REAL LIFE emotionally invested in what happens in a game. Trust me, it doesn't make any difference to me whether people agree with me. I'm doing to do what I do regardless. I just wanted to point out to everyone how silly they are acting, getting mad over expected behavior in a game.

So why do you care if its STUPID in real life if people are emotionally invested? Why do you want people to not be upset with you? You are trying to tell people that they shouldn't be upset if they are griefed or if they have to spend more time getting exp because you killed them?

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Why would anyone choose to play an online game if they aren't invested in it somehow?

That doesn't make any sense.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Why would anyone choose to play an online game if they aren't invested in it somehow?

That doesn't make any sense.

I'm not saying I'm not invested in the game at all. I'm saying I don't get mad when something that is part of the game happens to me. That's it.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Okay so you do understand how asinine it sounds that you tell someone you can't be emotionally invested in an online game,yet you yourself are invested, just don't get pissed at me when I take it upon myself to make my enjoyment purposefully infringe on yours?

I mean, how naive do you want people to think you really are?

Monotonous
06-28-2010, 07:34 PM
There will be level 40s in the next day or two.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Fight fire with fire. If you want them to stop, group up and make them stop. You won't win this fight with words and will probably just make it worse.

nub
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm not saying I'm not invested in the game at all. I'm saying I don't get mad when something that is part of the game happens to me. That's it.

I only get mad when the game enjoyment is hampered because of something another individual is chosing to do (not the game mechanics). Why not just bother the people that want to be bothered? Why not just grief people who enjoy being griefed as much as you like griefing?

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:36 PM
So why do you care if its STUPID in real life if people are emotionally invested? Why do you want people to not be upset with you? You are trying to tell people that they shouldn't be upset if they are griefed or if they have to spend more time getting exp because you killed them?

No. I'm saying they aren't being griefed (in my opinion). They are playing a roleplaying game that involves what other players decide to roleplay as well. We are roleplaying a band of extortionists. Pay up, or die.

Pretty simple concept, really.

Look, I'll give you this: The concept may have originally arose as an excuse to grief players, I have no idea. I've only been in the group for three days, maybe four, and the whole time, I've experienced doing nothing other than the stated mission. There's no killing without trying to extort (unless the person slams or is AFK, which we don't know until they are dead).

So whereas this may be a "front" for certain players, I'm in it earnestly because it's fun for me RP-wise right now. That's my "emotional investment" if you will. I understand if my "fun" contradicts yours. Back to my statement that Shattered isn't for everyone. If you can't put up with how I choose to play in a game server where I'm abiding by the current server's rules, go play one where the rules are more akin to your playstyle.

Edit: Again, my point is: You are wasting your energy getting mad about something that is a logical part of a game server with no rules.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
No. I'm saying they aren't being griefed (in my opinion). They are playing a roleplaying game that involves what other players decide to roleplay as well. We are roleplaying a band of extortionists. Pay up, or die.

Pretty simple concept, really.

Look, I'll give you this: The concept may have originally arose as an excuse to grief players, I have no idea. I've only been in the group for three days, maybe four, and the whole time, I've experienced doing nothing other than the stated mission. There's no killing without trying to extort (unless the person slams or is AFK, which we don't know until they are dead).

So whereas this may be a "front" for certain players, I'm in it earnestly because it's fun for me RP-wise right now. That's my "emotional investment" if you will. I understand if my "fun" contradicts yours. Back to my statement that Shattered isn't for everyone. If you can't put up with how I choose to play in a game server where I'm abiding by the current server's rules, go play one where the rules are more akin to your playstyle.

Edit: Again, my point is: You are wasting your energy getting mad about something that is a logical part of a game server with no rules.

Your comments boil down to: "Fuck you, I'm having fun, and I don't care if you're not." Yet, you seem to feel the need to justify yourself to people who are understandably upset. You can be both an evil character and a well-liked player, but not by these methods. With what you're doing, you can't have it both ways.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Your comments boil down to: "Fuck you, I'm having fun, and I don't care if you're not." Yet, you seem to feel the need to justify yourself to people who are understandably upset. You can be both an evil character and a well-liked player, but not by these methods. With what you're doing, you can't have it both ways.

No. That might be how you are taking it, but that's not how it's meant.

I'm saying it's genuinely retarded to be mad about someone killing you in a PVP server.

If you disagree with that premise, you are too forgone for me to even proceed in the conversation with you. Anyone who doesn't agree with that premise has no business playing on the Shattered server, and I will ruin your fun, not because I intend to grief you, but because you are illogically unreasonable.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Man you remind me of the recent story where a group of kids decided to wear American flag t-shirts to school on Cinco de Mayo.

Did they have every right to wear said shirts on that day? Yes.

Were they doing it deliberately to be inflammatory and cause controversy? Yes.

Did a bunch of people who knew what they were really doing think it was fun(ny)? Yes.

Did a bunch of other people think they were dicks for doing it? Yes.

I don't think too many people would have cared if those kids got the shit kicked out of them for doing it. If thats where you want to head, thats your call I guess.

Good luck with your "fun" for however long it lasts.

I'm saying it's genuinely retarded to be mad about someone killing you in a PVP server.

If you disagree with that premise, you are too forgone for me to even proceed in the conversation with you. Anyone who doesn't agree with that premise has no business playing on the Shattered server, and I will ruin your fun, not because I intend to grief you, but because you are illogically unreasonable.

Nowhere when I signed up did it say: This is a PVP Server. It said, no rules, and listed several things you are "Allowed" to do. So you are choosing to make it some PVP server ruleset.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Man you remind me of the recent story where a group of kids decided to wear American flag t-shirts to school on Cinco de Mayo.

Did they have every right to wear said shirts on that day? Yes.

Were they doing it deliberately to be inflammatory and cause controversy? Yes.

Did a bunch of people who knew what they were really doing think it was fun(ny)? Yes.

Did a bunch of other people think they were dicks for doing it? Yes.

I don't think too many people would have cared if those kids got the shit kicked out of them for doing it. If thats where you want to head, thats your call I guess.

Good luck with your "fun" for however long it lasts.

Thanks. Looking forward to the shit kicking.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM

1) Shattered is not a "PvP server," even if PvP is allowed. That's a big difference.
2) PvP is disruptive to others' enjoyment. CvC is not. There's a clear difference, and if you don't want to piss off players, then stick to CvC.

When your definition of what Shattered is conflicts with others' definitions, then there are obviously problems.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks. Looking forward to the shit kicking and the complete alienation of people who aren't like minded in playing an online game.

Fixed that for you, just so you know where you appear to be standing.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 07:53 PM
The difference is once again this:

It's ok when YOU folks try to tell people how to play.

But when we disagree?

We are horrible people.

If you dont wanna be friends with someone just because they dont agree with you, that makes you not a friend anyone would want to have.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 07:53 PM
by not allowing him to kill you, you infringe on his enjoyment

Actually, I have no issue with him killing me. I would love if right in the middle of a fight one of them ambushed the thing I was killing, while another hamstrings me, legs me, binds me, webs me, stuns me whatever.

And then demands payment, which if I am afk script guess what? I guess I am dead.

If I am there however, it gives me an opportunity to interact, even if they still kill me. Someone walking in and using a feras dagger to hamstring me to make sure they get the gayest type of kill in the game just to demand payment?

Lame attempt at "roleplay".

But when we disagree?

We are horrible people.

If you dont wanna be friends with someone just because they dont agree with you, that makes you not a friend anyone would want to have.

I am not telling you HOW to play. I am telling you how I would like to interact with you in a roleplay sense in the game. Its your choice if you want to take advantage of this or not. I am also being honest with you in regards to the consequences if you choose to continue down the road you are going.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 07:54 PM

But when we disagree?

We are horrible people.

The fact that you can't see the qualitative differences in the situations speaks volumes.

Monotonous
06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
I think he's honestly justified his actions here. We obviously aren't going to like it, but that doesn't make his points any less valid. He's roleplaying a lot more than most Shattered players, and not doing anything which wasn't intended to happen on that server.

The argument is that if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

That should be the start and stop of it. Trying to make him feel guilty outside of the game is.. well.. a transparent manipulation to try to make conditions more favorable for you in-game.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Fixed that for you, just so you know where you appear to be standing.

Ahh see, this post reminds me of where I AM emotionally invested, and why I started this post in the first place.

What pisses me off (so to speak) is that all these people that I've known and RPed with for years in Prime that know who I am and how I play there, and accepted my RP there, are suddenly going the fuck off on me in PMs because they don't like how I've chose to play ON THIS SERVER.

I'm a different character with a different playstyle here. I've chosen to kill other people because I chose to join an extortion gang. I FULLY EXPECT to suffer in game repercussions from my actions IN GAME. But the PLAYERS of the characters hating me on this board for it is what I find retarded.

I think there's some kind of vocabularly problem. This isn't the officials. When I say PvP, I'm talking about my character killing yours in game, for my in game reason. I haven't done anything other than that. I'm not taking board shit to the game. I don't use the silly official boards PvP vs CvC thing. It's all PvP and you all are proving it by proving that you can't seperate being killed in game from the guy the posts on this forum.

You are mortally offended and ANGRY at ME, KHARIZ, and not Madmountan for killing you.

That's what is rediculous. This isn't personal. Madmountan is extorting you in the game.

nub
06-28-2010, 07:57 PM

But when we disagree?

We are horrible people.

But that's not anyone here, people who don't want to be friends with you don't want to be friends with you because you are griefing people.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 07:58 PM
::undulates::

Khariz
06-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I think he's honestly justified his actions here. We obviously aren't going to like it, but that doesn't make his points any less valid. He's roleplaying a lot more than most Shattered players, and not doing anything which wasn't intended to happen on that server.

That should be the start and stop of it. Trying to make him feel guilty outside of the game is.. well.. a transparent manipulation to try to make conditions more favorable for you in-game.

Thank you.

RichardCranium
06-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Ahh see, this post reminds me of where I AM emotionally invested, and why I started this post in the first place.

What pisses me off (so to speak) is that all these people that I've known and RPed with for years in Prime that know who I am and how I play there, and accepted my RP there, are suddenly going the fuck off on me in PMs because they don't like how I've chose to play ON THIS SERVER.

I'm a different character with a different playstyle here. I've chosen to kill other people because I chose to join an extortion gang. I FULLY EXPECT to suffer in game repercussions from my actions IN GAME. But the PLAYERS of the characters hating me on this board for it is what I find retarded.

I think there's some kind of vocabularly problem. This isn't the officials. When I say PvP, I'm talking about my character killing yours in game, for my in game reason. I haven't done anything other than that. I'm not taking board shit to the game. I don't use the silly official boards PvP vs CvC thing. It's all PvP and you all are proving it by proving that you can't seperate being killed in game from the guy the posts on this forum.

You are mortally offended and ANGRY at ME, KHARIZ, and not Madmountan for killing you.

That's what is rediculous. This isn't personal. Madmountan is extorting you in the game.

The problem is you've associated yourself with a group of taintsticks who's sole purpose is to lessen other's enjoyment of the game. You're guilty by association.

nub
06-28-2010, 08:01 PM

I'll use your logic then to help you out: If you don't like people being upset at YOU the player behind Madmountan, then change your tactics.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
The problem is you've associated yourself with a group of taintsticks who's sole purpose is to lessen other's enjoyment of the game. You're guilty by association.

Ok. I accept that. That's at least a logical answer.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I'll use your logic then to help you out: If you don't like people being upset at YOU the player behind Madmountan, then change your tactics.

No. I shouldn't have to. I'm not the one being unreasonable. Players should not hate other players for their characters behaving within the boundaries of the rules. If they do...they are being petty at best.

Inspire
06-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Damn, I'm missing all the fun.

Krienna
06-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Heh. Not even that. Check out this thread (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=53030) for some examples of their "roleplaying." Post 28 is particularly choice. Though, make sure you read the next page or two as well.

Holy godmodding (I roleplay too much, I know). Not only did they do actions with the ACT verb without giving you a chance to react, but apparently they can play gods and have the nearby ogres do the same. Meh, I'm not a fan of close-ended "RP" like that. It's only fun for the person doing the ACT and doesn't give you a chance to respond as well. Roleplay is a collaborative effort.

Basically. Take Lensmoor, for example. It's a MUD that has been around for some time and has some very cruel villains in it. These villains also happen to be extremely loved by the playerbase even though their characters hate them. Playing a villain doesn't mean being an ass. Being an ass doesn't take much effort at all. The true villains gain a fearful respect of others and do it in a way where it's not antagonistic to the players of the characters around them. There's a rather distinctive line between being an evil person in a roleplaying game and getting a rise by griefing others.

This "debate" from all parties involved is problem never going to end. It's really not a hard concept to grasp that there can be good characters and bad characters while still maintaining respect between players. People have been doing it since roleplaying came about. Yet, some people on both sides of the spectrum still fail at it.

BriarFox

No, his argument is "I'm allowed to do this, so why are you mad at me?" He is allowed to do it, but it's not going to make him any friends, especially if he does it in a manner that mixes OOG and IG worlds. Any guilt he feels is due to his misunderstanding of how other people conceive of Shattered and his actions.

Buckwheet
Do you really want us to believe that the two are separate? I mean was the player of Tsin treated any differently when he did business in game versus people calling him, the player, a douchebag?

Just like most online role playing games after you play with people for a long period of time you come to know them both in the game and possibly outside through IM/PM/Forums. This usually is know as an online friend or acquaintance.

Just because some new server roles out nobody expects the person behind the character to show vindictive tendencies towards characters who clearly have been identified as being played by your previously mentioned friends/acquaintances.

Usually that is worked out beforehand. Props to you if you can deal with it unlike most human beings. So that people who are your RL friend or online friend know you are just fucking with them. Before it escalates to some retarded place you find yourself now.

I think your expectations are founded in some horrible misconception of online role players whose characters are usually an extension of themselves.

I don't expect any change to occur, simply because I am not asking for it.

You have already stated you are going to play as you want, and I guess you will have to deal with the apparent alienation you will or are facing right now.

You the player that is, not your character.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 08:08 PM
On a related note, if you want examples of awesome evil characters who didn't piss off players, Mekthros and Evarin are both excellent ones. My main in Prime is not terribly fond of Evarin, though they tolerate each other, but Evarin cracks me, the player, up, and impresses the heck out of me to boot.

Krienna
06-28-2010, 08:09 PM
No, his argument is "I'm allowed to do this, so why are you mad at me?" He is allowed to do it, but it's not going to make him any friends, especially if he does it in a manner that mixes OOG and IG worlds. Any guilt he feels is due to his misunderstanding of how other people conceive of Shattered and his actions.

I tend to agree with BriarFox on this. It's perfectly alright to be the biggest ass in town IG. However, it's also important to leave OOG things (like this message board) out of the equation. Killing someone based on comments or knowledge obtained on a message board is just low. That's not RP. That's pulling something that isn't even in the game into the equation. Might as well just be playing Quake at that point.

Villains rock and definitely contribute a lot to a gaming environment. You all (extortion squad) have the right idea! It's an amazing concept and I love the thought behind it. However, don't let your characters bleed into your OOG discussions.

Instead of "Just deal with it, we're evil", why not ask questions to the other players what they do or do not like about your RP? Cooperation between players can really make such a thing thrive, especially when there's no drama surrounding it. Of course, these are just my opinions on this clusterfuck of differing viewpoints.

Monotonous
06-28-2010, 08:14 PM

His argument is, "I'm allowed to do this. Don't hate the player, hate the game."

I'm not seeing why that's invalid. Why are people playing Shattered when it results in them getting angry and having to post rants here on a daily basis?

If it isn't fun, it isn't fun. There are other flavors of Gemstone to enjoy.

Monotonous
06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Instead of "Just deal with it, we're evil", why not ask questions to the other players what they do or do not like about your RP? Cooperation between players can really make such a thing thrive, especially when there's no drama surrounding it. Of course, these are just my opinions on this clusterfuck of differing viewpoints.

Because when you get down to it they are doing something people just aren't going to enjoy, no matter how delightful their roleplay. They can't extort from people if they have to worry about not hurting their feelings -- nobody wants to have their character killed.

On the flip side, the ones getting killed could be bigger people about it and stop dragging the fight to the forums. It goes both ways.

RichardCranium
06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Because when you get down to it they are doing something people just aren't going to enjoy, no matter how delightful their roleplay. They can't extort from people if they have to worry about not hurting their feelings -- nobody wants to have their character killed.

On the flip side, the ones getting killed could be bigger people about it and stop dragging the fight to the forums. It goes both ways.

What you and they don't seem to understand about this is that calling them douchebags for being douchebags does not equate to ranting, crying, whining, or anything else. It's calling a fuckstain a fuckstain. They don't have to play like everyone else, we don't have to like it. The end.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Not sure why its a bad thing to bring a discussion to the forum, every one of them has a chance to turn into a "fight". Not to mention the OP brought this "fight" up himself.

Khariz
06-28-2010, 08:21 PM
On a related note, if you want examples of awesome evil characters who didn't piss off players, Mekthros and Evarin are both excellent ones. My main in Prime is not terribly fond of Evarin, though they tolerate each other, but Evarin cracks me, the player, up, and impresses the heck out of me to boot.

Right, and he has been a long time aim buddy of mine. I had characters in prime that hated him with a passion and would have practically killed him on sight, and yet I had another that was his apprentice/slave in the whole dhe'nar deal.

I am perfectly capable of roleplaying more than one type of character, regardless of whether you like my rp or even believe me that I am rping.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
So in the original context of the post, did you tell your "friends" you were going to be ganking them in shattered for extortion beforehand in IM to setup the RP?

Monotonous
06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
What you and they don't seem to understand about this is that calling them douchebags for being douchebags does not equate to ranting, crying, whining, or anything else. It's calling a fuckstain a fuckstain. They don't have to play like everyone else, we don't have to like it. The end.
I totally agree. They're being assholes (and readily admit to it). People don't like it. The end. Yet we keep getting 30-page threads with the same stale discussion.

Options:
A) Deal with it.
B) Quit.

Not sure why its a bad thing to bring a discussion to the forum, every one of them has a chance to turn into a "fight". Not to mention the OP brought this "fight" up himself.

Option C, which is "Argue on the forums" has been done to death. It just functions as advertisement for Marlu cult. You're still playing their game even when you think you're railing against it.

Krienna
06-28-2010, 08:26 PM

I understand both sides. Honestly, it baffles me why players can't just communicate and work together for roleplay or whatever. Character death really isn't a big deal in Gemstone, and can enhance the roleplay when it comes to revenge and the such.

It does go both ways, especially in an environment such as Shattered with little to no rules. I'm seriously contemplating jumping into the fray, but I'm expecting it to be insane and frustrating at times. So is trying to level up on a PvP server in WoW while playing a faction that is the underdog on a particular server. Such is life. Part of the thrill is the lawlessness (outside of town, of course).

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Here I thought it was a member of the community just confused by people's reactions to the role play they are interested in, in shattered.

I assumed that his question was legit. Apparently you knew more than you were letting on.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
So in the original context of the post, did you tell your "friends" you were going to be ganking them in shattered for extortion beforehand in IM to setup the RP?

Thats...thats a silly thing to require of someone or expect someone to do.

Guys, he just posted his reasons because people kept asking.

He wasnt looking to start a 'fight' or to argue. Simply to express his reasons, and if anyone asks in the future, he can point to this post.

I also find it amusing the people saying 'Lets keep the IG and the OOG seperate' are the ones dragging things to the forum.

Not just sometimes. BUT CONSTANTLY.

Now, partially my bad, as in I like to egg folks on, especially folks who clearly are elitist assholes....so I take partial blame for the 100+ post threads. But, as I said, we arent the ones dragging things OOG, or getting upset OOG at IG actions.

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I also find it amusing the people saying 'Lets keep the IG and the OOG seperate' are the ones dragging things to the forum.

Not just sometimes. BUT CONSTANTLY.

Now, partially my bad, as in I like to egg folks on, especially folks who clearly are elitist assholes....so I take partial blame for the 100+ post threads. But, as I said, we arent the ones dragging things OOG, or getting upset OOG at IG actions.

Heh. You constantly boast about your kills and your superiority on the forums. The hypocrisy is rich.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Heh. You constantly boast about your kills and your superiority on the forums. The hypocrisy is rich.

I havent posted kill logs since people stopped asking.

And...I JUST SAID I liked to egg things on. I mean...I...Just said it. In the post JUST ABOVE.

Its times like this I think yer being dense on purpose.

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Learn some fucking reading comprehension please.

I never said it was expected or should be some requirement. It was a pretty straight forward question.

The question stands for exactly what I asked.

Its times like this I think yer being dense on purpose.

Drink your own poison jackass.

Oops, I think I just fed the troll some more. Oh well. Obvious troll and all...

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Option C, which is "Argue on the forums" has been done to death. It just functions as advertisement for Marlu cult. You're still playing their game even when you think you're railing against it.

The forum posts HAVE been a good source of advertisement! Has gotten us 4 members and promises of help from various sources!

Keep up the good work guys!

Buckwheet
06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
The forum posts HAVE been a good source of advertisement! Has gotten us 4 members and promises of help from various sources!

Keep up the good work guys!

Way to go! (http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0903/success-success-retard-demotivational-poster-1237012680.jpg)

Fortybox
06-28-2010, 08:48 PM
I totally agree. They're being assholes (and readily admit to it). People don't like it. The end. Yet we keep getting 30-page threads with the same stale discussion.

Options:
A) Deal with it.
B) Quit.

Eh, I enjoy reading the boards during the day. Please keep up the drama for me.

:thanx:

Spooky
06-28-2010, 08:51 PM
jesus this thread grew fast

Drevihyin
06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Just for reference who actually belongs to the Apple Dumpling Gang?

BriarFox
06-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Mordechai
Flamer
Cthulu
Calidus
Madmountan
Cervina
Bleeder
Lightning
Triumph
Caramon
Sanity

Possibly Oblivion, too. Some of those are alts or helper bots.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Ifor, Jaedan, Roflcopter.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Mordechai
Flamer
Cthulu
Calidus
Madmountan
Cervina
Bleeder
Lightning
Triumph
Caramon
Sanity

Possibly Oblivion, too. Some of those are alts or helper bots.

You missed
Clank
Epicbeardmon
and Fragz

Drunken Durfin
06-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Ifor, Jaedan, Roflcopter.

Cute.

For those of you who missed it, I am Ifor and most certainly not part of this stupidity.

Edit:
IroakeWarhammer is doing a pretty good job of keeping an updated list:

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=53398

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Cute.

For those of you who missed it, I am Ifor and most certainly not part of this stupidity.

Which stupidity ARE you a part of?

IorakeWarhammer
06-28-2010, 09:39 PM
You should have picked a diff name. Then it's an easier transition. :)

Khariz
06-28-2010, 09:41 PM
You should have picked a diff name. Then it's an easier transition. :)

I know, right?

Drunken Durfin
06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
re-roll

Latrinsorm
06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
But these are people playing characters that chose, willingly, to come into an environment where there would be PvP and Griefing and such. They KNEW this. They EXPECTED this (or should have).Why should they have? You decided Shattered ought to be a PvP water park, what if someone else decided Shattered ought to be a study in perfectly isolated scripting? Why shouldn't your expectations have been the ones thrown out?
Also, I dont get why its ok to try to limit our behavior, but we cannot try to limit yours (General You and Our here). You can tell us not to attack you and we should listen, but we can't tell you to pay or be killed because thats total douchery?To borrow your phrasing, yes, being a douche is tantamount to total douchery. Telling a douche not to be a douche isn't being a douche, it's being a grown-up.
Players should not hate other players for their characters behaving within the boundaries of the rules. If they do...they are being petty at best.Again, your character is not some foreign entity unlinked from and unlinkable to you. You are behaving in a way that people find unpalatable. That your behavior is by proxy is no excuse.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Why should they have? You decided Shattered ought to be a PvP water park, what if someone else decided Shattered ought to be a study in perfectly isolated scripting? Why shouldn't your expectations have been the ones thrown out?

Well if they did, then our ideas have come into conflict. Guess which thought process is winning.

Look. Shattered is what we, the players, make it. So, we are shaping it how we like it to be.

Scripters can script, no one is telling them not to.

But they have to realize that sometimes, they will be killed. For any reason the killer likes. Why? Because this is Shattered, and it allows for anyone to do anything they like in it. Thus, it's a place where there is a Water Park.

Go in that place, and you will get wet. Even if you just wanna flirt with the lifeguards and not ride any rides.

Sylvan Dreams
06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I could be off base, but I thought the issue was that Khariz-shattered is not acting the same way as does Khariz-prime and he (the player) was being hollered at for it.

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I could be off base, but I thought the issue was that Khariz-shattered is not acting the same way as does Khariz-prime and he (the player) was being hollered at for it.

It was the original issue yes. But like all threads, its spun wildly off course.

Sylvan Dreams
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Well if they did, then our ideas have come into conflict. Guess which thought process is winning.

Look. Shattered is what we, the players, make it. So, we are shaping it how we like it to be.

But they have to realize that sometimes, they will be killed. For any reason the killer likes. Why? Because this is Shattered, and it allows for anyone to do anything they like in it. Thus, it's a place where there is a Water Park.

Go in that place, and you will get wet. Even if you just wanna flirt with the lifeguards and not ride any rides.

Not quite. It's not like players are entering some specific part of Shattered set aside for PVP and can opt out at will while remaining in the game. A player doesn't have any means of saying "no thanks" to anything other players or even GM's do without logging off.

Cthulu
06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
It was the original issue yes. But like all threads, its spun wildly off course.

http://staticmotor.com/alanwuorinen/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/movie_bg.jpg

HJFudge
06-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Not quite. It's not like players are entering some specific part of Shattered set aside for PVP and can opt out at will while remaining in the game. A player doesn't have any means of saying "no thanks" to anything other players or even GM's do without logging off.

They can opt out. Just pay our fees. Its one of the options they have.

SpiffyJr
06-28-2010, 10:30 PM
They can opt out. Just pay our fees. Its one of the options they have.

I can't help but think about the amount of pole you suck every time I look at your avatar.

Drunken Durfin
06-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Now that things are off on a nice tangent, this is what started it all...

Ifor is me in Shattered.

Leave me the fuck alone.

~Durfin

Look, I'm not specifically targeting you. The only way I cannot target you is if you (a) pay the protection money, or (b) join the group.

We have a script that updates members and Do No Kill (protectees). If you name isn't on that, my feints you and swings.

Just as you are script hunting, I am script killing.

This is a much different game than Prime. I was a nice guy there. Shattered...not so much. I really can't believe people expect everyone to be civil in shattered.

No rules and no laws make an interesting playground. I don't mean it personally.

We had about five PMs that went back and forth which have pretty much been hashed out here in the multitude of posts. Perhaps if I had been a bit nicer (not saying "leave me the fuck alone") things would have played out differently, but I was annoyed that my script that was supposed to be running all night long was cut short by him, Mord and Cthulu attempting to kill me.

My problem was with someone I knew as a nice guy throwing in with a bunch of ass hats.

:deadhorse:

Stanley Burrell
06-28-2010, 10:41 PM
My problem was with someone I knew as a nice guy throwing in with a bunch of ass hats.

I feel like, if you Shatter, verb, then if you're a nice guy, you get to have, uhm, maybe the opportunity to party with the asshats but then do something; like, say, I dunno, tell them, "YO, ASSHATS, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU. AND I'M'A LET YOU FINISH, BUT (lie) I NEED TO FAVOR HUNT."

And then you have to maintain some sort of time-frame, in order to maintain nice-guy status, where you remain on asshattery hiatus.

Make an inquiry on the Officials Shattered folder.

IorakeWarhammer
06-28-2010, 10:43 PM
I feel like, if you Shatter, verb, then if you're a nice guy, you get to have, uhm, maybe the opportunity to party with the asshats but then do something; like, say, I dunno, tell them, "YO, ASSHATS, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU. AND I'M'A LET YOU FINISH, BUT (lie) I NEED TO FAVOR HUNT."

And then you have to maintain some sort of time-frame, in order to maintain nice-guy status, where you remain on asshattery hiatus.

Make an inquiry on the Officials Shattered folder.

..what?

RichardCranium
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
..what?

Long story short, he's livin' astro.

Stanley Burrell
06-28-2010, 10:50 PM
..what?

TheE's sister looks pretty O.K. in your avatar.

I'm livin' astro.

RichardCranium
06-28-2010, 10:51 PM
The original black Elvis.

Stanley Burrell
06-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Earth people, New York and California.

Celephais
06-28-2010, 11:52 PM
TheE's sister looks pretty O.K. in your avatar.

I'm livin' astro.

You should get your "Senior Member" thing changed to just say "Livin' Astro".

nub
06-29-2010, 12:55 AM

You should stop with the waterpark analogy. It really doesn't work. People didn't go to shattered to get killed, they went KNOWING people might be fuckheads, but they did go TO get killed. When you go to a waterpark, you go TO get wet. Whatever, just stop using that analogy, you can find a better one.

Tolwynn
06-29-2010, 12:57 AM
The waterpark analogy holds up very well if you keep the one episode of Southpark in mind.

nub
06-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Oh and FYI Khariz, one of the things you didn't want to do, have people leave shattered, has happened because of people like you.

I know of at least 3 people who have left, which sucks, because of killing. Which yes they should have expected (people being dicks) but either way it had the cause of what you didn't want to happen, lessen the population. I have not been killed yet, so I have not been directly affected, just an observer.

Caiylania
06-29-2010, 01:11 AM
This is why I won't even consider Shattered. I don't mind bad guys (especially if RPed well) but the idea of being killed constantly by out of control idgits is NOT my idea of fun.

I get the whole "we are acting like mobsters" is your thing but from what I'm reading on these boards if it isn't your group it is a bunch of other idiots.

There are a lot of people like me who do not just power script or maybe only have a few hours to play and having to deal with this crap would become beyond tedious very quickly.

But I read the warning, realized it wasn't for me and moved on. There is a thin line between being in the spirit of Shattered as a server, and just being assholes.

I've seen GM's applaud a CvC murder in prime that was RP'ed well on both sides. Prime is not "Disneyland". I just like that people have boundries.

But a lot of people are playing Shattered to not have to stress over scripts or talking OOC. Just because they are there doesn't mean they want to be killed 20 times and that its ok for you to do it because of the warning.

Lumi
06-29-2010, 01:31 AM
I would have considered Shattered if the only difference had been "no RP required, no scripting limitations". The fact that they're letting people do whatever the fuck they want is just too good an opportunity for people to grief (and anyone claiming that this behavior is not, at it's root, good old-fashioned shadenfreude, is spewing bullshit) to be worth the aggravation.

Scripter haven? Awesome. Griefer haven? No thank you.

Liagala
06-29-2010, 01:39 AM
The difference Mordechai, Cthulu, Madmountan, etc - is that your chosen form of entertainment actively, and negatively, impacts our chosen form of entertainment. The converse is not true. My solo scripting in some quiet corner does not actively disrupt you. It does not prevent you from being a "mobster" in any way. Your "extortion ring" on the other hand, does prevent my quiet scripting. That's the root of the problem here. If I do my thing, you are perfectly able to do your thing as well. If you do yours, I am not able to do mine.

If you were to collect a group of like-minded individuals and stage a war amongst yourselves, no one would mind. I'd even bet that if you picked a town (other than Landing, which is and always has been the center of Gemstone) and "took it over" the way you're trying to do, people would be content to leave it that way. Some would come in and cause you trouble, giving you the conflict you're looking for, and others could go their way without your unwanted interruption. You could probably even continue the mobster thing, if you actually made somewhat fair rules, and stuck to them. We've made it pretty clear that we're okay with "honorable," RPd conflict. Hell, skip the RP if you must, but at least stick to your own rules. Don't change them every week because it gives you more freedom to piss people off.

You keep saying that we're trying to tell you how to play by asking you to stop - to some extent, we are. But we have the right to do so, when your chosen method of play prevents others, through no fault of their own, from indulging in their chosen method of play.

HJFudge
06-29-2010, 01:45 AM
You keep saying that we're trying to tell you how to play by asking you to stop - to some extent, we are. But we have the right to do so

I am going to specifically agree with this part.

You DO have the right to try and tell us how to play.

We have the right to disagree and play the way we want to anyway.

People have options to avoid us.

Pay, or go to EN. Its just they dont want to take those options.

They cant have their cake and eat it too. Us PvPers and Mafia folk need some fun.

Bill
06-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Or we could group up and smack payback. My character is too low in level, but eventually I will be able to paypack. I knew about the PvP, but am not here to PvP (or was not before being killed twice tonight by the Thugs). I'm here soley because scripting is legal here. I'll just move till I'm older, but honestly, the people that are whining about this COULD do something about it, but it involves organizing and fighting back. Most of us scripters are too busy wowing at our scripts instead of camping at the gate killing level 10s that walk past. I've played WoW (and on PvP servers), and the only way to get even is to get older and gang up.

Bill

Liagala
06-29-2010, 01:51 AM
People have options to avoid us.

Pay, or go to EN. Its just they dont want to take those options.

They cant have their cake and eat it too. Us PvPers and Mafia folk need some fun.
So is going to EN a permanant option to avoid you, or is it a "permanant until I change my mind" option? What about Teras? RR? How much of the world do you plan to "take over"?

Also... why can't I have my cake and eat it too? That's certainly what you're doing.

Khariz
06-29-2010, 01:53 AM
So is going to EN a permanant option to avoid you, or is it a "permanant until I change my mind" option? What about Teras? RR? How much of the world do you plan to "take over"?

Also... why can't I have my cake and eat it too? That's certainly what you're doing.

Teras and RR are probably "more safe".

Fortybox
06-29-2010, 01:53 AM

They won't be able to expand too much. RR, EN, Teras areas are all safe and even Icemule is relatively free from anything.

Liagala
06-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Teras and RR are probably "more safe".
That means "permanant until you change your mind" ... which is what I expected you (collectively) to say, unfortunately.

I do find it interesting that neither of you seems to feel any need to answer the main thrust of my post.

Omrii
06-29-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm not going to read twenty three pages of this thread. I am going to drop in my two cents though. This is human soceity to a large degree. The current world govenments create one of the few times in the history of the world where this does not happen. If there were a pandemic or global calamity, the human race would abandon much of mercy and joy they have now. The strong and those who can command resources would take power over those who are weak or needy.

This is a game, there is no doubt. It's a shitty game in fact that too many of us are attached to. In the absence of law, chaos will reign but order will surface. This cult, thier killing, and extortion is a form of that order. Many people throughout history have fled to other lands to avoid persecusion. If anyone has ever played EVE Online, it is very similar there. The only difference is that the center of the galaxy is safely run by NPC governments for the most part. All that said, the entire dynamic of this is one of the reasons I wanted to play Shattered. I'm not part of anyone's group, but I did choose to pay the toil.

--Omrii

Monotonous
06-29-2010, 02:00 AM
That means "permanant until you change your mind" ... which is what I expected you (collectively) to say, unfortunately.

I do find it interesting that neither of you seems to feel any need to answer the main thrust of my post.

The point, I think, is that they're doing exactly what they want. This also includes "changing the rules" as they go along. It's chaotic behavior. Trying to apply some kind of social/ethical structure to it is going to end in frustration for you and giggles for them.

Repetition... Your only options:

A) Deal with it.
B) Quit.

You won't be able to talk them out of this. You can, however, move to another city and hope they don't follow you.

HJFudge
06-29-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm not going to read twenty three pages of this thread. I am going to drop in my two cents though. This is human soceity to a large degree. The current world govenments create one of the few times in the history of the world where this does not happen. If there were a pandemic or global calamity, the human race would abandon much of mercy and joy they have now. The strong and those who can command resources would take power over those who are weak or needy.

This is a game, there is no doubt. It's a shitty game in fact that too many of us are attached to. In the absence of law, chaos will reign but order will surface. This cult, thier killing, and extortion is a form of that order. Many people throughout history have fled to other lands to avoid persecusion. If anyone has ever played EVE Online, it is very similar there. The only difference is that the center of the galaxy is safely run by NPC governments for the most part. All that said, the entire dynamic of this is one of the reasons I wanted to play Shattered. I'm not part of anyone's group, but I did choose to pay the toil.

--Omrii

Would it be correct to say that if we didnt exist, that you would be having less fun?

Damn it, or on second thought dont answer. The may just think yer 'one of us' and you will get screamed at for daring to disagree

Spooky
06-29-2010, 02:02 AM

--Omrii

Yep, your right. In fact, I was watching a program on TV several months ago and this very same thing happened. On what would happen if a very bad catastrophy happened. People go looting, out of control, killing each other for resources. Finding medicine, gold/silver instead of regular money, eventually starting their own currency system, their own law. I think the same will happen here. Shattered is relatively new, at first there will be chaos, but I'm sure eventually there will be a "good" clan that will fight and attempt to bring back peace.

Fortybox
06-29-2010, 02:03 AM

--Omrii

I'm inspired.

Khariz
06-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Lia,

I don't find your "thrust" valid, so I'm not addressing it.

Like I said, anyone who disagrees with my premise that it is silly for people to get mad (in real life, as it's fine for the character to get mad) when they are killed in a server where killing is allowed and expected (especially when they have a means to stop being killed), is someone who I cannot argue with.

You don't have to play the game they way I want you to, but don't expect me to play the game you want me to either. As long as my character's behavior is within the rules of the game, and I have a in-game reason for what I'm doing, you have no argument, in my opinion.

Fortybox
06-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Mordechai, Cthulu, Calidus, MadmountaIn, etc.

Please see my signature. Thx.

HJFudge
06-29-2010, 02:07 AM
When you first started doing this, you said you only killed each person once. But, you killed Ember twice, because someone had said someone to someone else, and without any proof whatsoever, you assumed it was her. So you lied. After you killed Ember the second time was the only time I have ever confronted you in the game. I have never given you any reason to hunt or kill my characters in game.

I did go to the EN to get away from you, but you logged in Flamer, killed her while she was afk, and then logged out, because I said on the forums that I was able to get away from you and ignore you. You even posted that that is exactly what you had done. So again, you are lying.

You have all these little rules and morals that are supposed to support your idea of "I am not a douche", but no, you are a douche. You change and bend and even break the rules as you see fit. And the thing is, all these posts and arguments and even pleas for fairness are pointless. You feel with complete sincerity that you are entitled to do whatever you want to do, no matter how it affects anyone else, simply because you can. We checked the check box when we signed up, therefore you have the right to make sure that we do not have fun in this game that we pay for just like you do.

Every person does NOT play Shattered because they want to be killed or engage in PvP. A lot want to just script, or start over from scratch, or whatever. When I go to a waterpark, I go because I want to get wet. Killing in Shattered does not make it a waterpark. I do not play Shattered because I want to get killed. If you want to use your waterpark analogy, then make it more realistic. When you go to a waterpark, you might wipe out on the surfing ride and bust your ass. That is a risk you take when you go on the surfing ride, but not everyone that goes to the waterpark wants to go on the surfing ride.

Like I said, this is all pointless. I fully expect you to break down this post, make an excuse for every point, and call me an idiot, a moron, and tell me I cannot comprehend something several times. It is kind of your MO. Maybe even hunt down one of my characters and kill her because I had the audacity to say anything negative abou you on PC.

Uh, yeah Flamer killed you?

You basically said "Nah nah nah boo boo you cant get me" so...we got you.

You're free to go back to prime! Or try and stop us!

Monotonous
06-29-2010, 02:10 AM
...So you lied...

...You even posted that that is exactly what you had done. So again, you are lying....

You have all these little rules and morals that are supposed to support your idea of "I am not a douche", but no, you are a douche. You change and bend and even break the rules as you see fit....

Every person does NOT play Shattered because they want to be killed or engage in PvP. A lot want to just script, or start over from scratch, or whatever.
You're allowing yourself to be manipulated. There's a saying about "Fool me Once, Fool me Twice"... You've been fooled a lot. Why keep taking the bait?

Liagala
06-29-2010, 02:15 AM
You don't have to play the game they way I want you to, but don't expect me to play the game you want me to either. As long as my character's behavior is within the rules of the game, and I have a in-game reason for what I'm doing, you have no argument, in my opinion.
That would be a legitimate argument, if the first paragraph of my earlier post wasn't true. If it was a "live and let live" type thing, then I wouldn't have any right to tell you how to play. That's not the case though. If I shut up and let you play however you want, then my (and others') play is actively disrupted. That's where you lose your moral "you can't tell me how to play" high ground. When your actions negatively affect me, then I most certainly can tell you how to play.

We all live in this world knowing that at any time, almost any person is physically capable of walking up and punching us in the face. If they do so however, we're not going to just say, "Oh, that's how you choose to live your life. Okay, no problem." It's the same thing here. You just see no police around to arrest you, so you're deciding to textually punch random people in the face.

Khariz
06-29-2010, 02:16 AM
That would be a legitimate argument, if the first paragraph of my earlier post wasn't true. If it was a "live and let live" type thing, then I wouldn't have any right to tell you how to play. That's not the case though. If I shut up and let you play however you want, then my (and others') play is actively disrupted. That's where you lose your moral "you can't tell me how to play" high ground. When your actions negatively affect me, then I most certainly can tell you how to play.

We all live in this world knowing that at any time, almost any person is physically capable of walking up and punching us in the face. If they do so however, we're not going to just say, "Oh, that's how you choose to live your life. Okay, no problem." It's the same thing here. You just see no police around to arrest you, so you're deciding to textually punch random people in the face.

Your retort changed nothing about what I said. You are hung up on an issue that I don't agree exists in a server where my behavior is allowed. Go play prime.

Omrii
06-29-2010, 02:21 AM
Doesn't this remind anyone of the invasions back in the day before fifty capped players would log on? When half the time we'd cower at a Thrak table waiting for the bad people to go away?

--Omrii

Cthulu
06-29-2010, 02:23 AM
All I'm sayin' is, I'm glad we're all having fun :)

kookiegod
06-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Interesting....

I think I'm glad I quit Shattered the first week. I find the premise awesome, the lack of genre and history horrorfying, but as many people have alluded too, what happens when the capped 'gangs' are ruling the roosts?

Who is actually gonna log in? I think the population gonna dwindle fairly quick, when you are getting accosted several times a day (or killed AFK scripting). Where are you going to get new blood from, most of the people playing Shattered are those one step away from quitting GS anyways, and there isn't exactly any advertising to get anyone to play any GS products, let alone Shattered.

I think Shattered added a few bucks to Simu coffers, and staved off issues of people ready to leave, but unless and until the game manages to get new blood regularly, and some updates and upgrades to prime/plat, both in mechanics and policies, the eventual decline will continue.

calidus
06-29-2010, 02:51 AM
All I'm sayin' is, I'm glad we're all having fun :)

Indeed. :)

Methais
06-29-2010, 03:07 AM

Never played Shadowbane, but in WoW, dying is literally nothing, even moreso in pvp since you don't get the 10% item degradation like you do from dying in pve. You click release, spend a few seconds running to your corpse, and click rez. In GS unless you're MA'ing with a cleric, you have to totally rely on other people to get rezzed, with the other option being decaying and suffering a really gay xp penalty. Worst case scenario in WoW, you spirit rez and get a 10 minute stat debuff, which is still faster than stat recovery in GS even when you get raised, at least without a chrism. I don't remember the numbers.

I could get pwned all day long in WoW, and I wouldn't care because there's no real downtime from it. When you die in GS, you have to either sit there unable to do nothing until someone else rezzes you, or suffer a gay xp penalty, which indirectly causes more downtime.

But regardless, everyone goes into Shattered knowing this, so there's really no room for QQ no matter what's happening. I signed up expecting to get killed, itchy cursed, disarmed, etc. pretty much 24/7. Not that it would happen 24/7, but I treat it like that anyway.

subzero
06-29-2010, 06:18 AM

How do you RP the logging out when you're getting whooped on? Killing people is fine and dandy... if you're not gonna be a pussy about it later.

Drevihyin
06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
I think Shattered added a few bucks to Simu coffers, and staved off issues of people ready to leave, but unless and until the game manages to get new blood regularly, and some updates and upgrades to prime/plat, both in mechanics and policies, the eventual decline will continue

If they want to add more money to their coffers I would pay for a portal to move my prime characters at will into the shattered area.

Deathravin
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
If they want to add more money to their coffers I would pay for a portal to move my prime characters at will into the shattered area.

I'd be okay with that after the game being live 1 year.

SpiffyJr
06-29-2010, 09:07 AM

Fuck no. If you want to play in Shattered then you have to go through the same restart as everyone else. This includes having no money, no uber gear, and dealing with lots of deaths on the way up.

JustDan
06-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Fuck no. If you want to play in Shattered then you have to go through the same restart as everyone else. This includes having no money, no uber gear, and dealing with lots of deaths on the way up.

:yeahthat:

People had different reasons for joining Shattered, but for a lot of us it was a chance to start fresh, without the "royalty" that exists on Prime. We don't need people showing up with 20m experience, and their vorpal swords of doom, and immediately "taking over" all the good hunting areas, flooding the market with their ridiculously out of place high-end gear, and in general turning it into the class system that exists on Prime.

Deathravin
06-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Ya, in shattered you'll have to wait 6 months for that...

Drevihyin
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM

Actually all one would have to do is purchase a shattered character/account. I was just stating that I would be willing to pay for that service, should it be offered is another question entirely.

SpiffyJr
06-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Actually all one would have to do is purchase a shattered character/account. I was just stating that I would be willing to pay for that service, should it be offered is another question entirely.

I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with bringing 2x/3x post-cap players in with trillions of silver and high-end gear to taint our market.