PDA

View Full Version : What new musical release has caught your ear?

Skirmisher
04-03-2004, 09:02 AM
I missed their first cd, but I really like the most recent Hoobastank single. A nice voice and kind of smooth overall sound makes it a song I am listening to repeatedly at the moment.

The Lyrics are nice as well.

The Reason:

I'm not a perfect person
There's many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know

I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
and the reason is you

I'm sorry that I hurt you
It's something I must live with everyday
And all the pain I put you through
I wish that I could take it all away
And be the one who catches all your tears
Thats why i need you to hear

I've found a resaon for me
and the reason is You [x4]

I'm not a perfect person
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know

I've found a reason for me
and the reason is you

I've found a reason to show
A side of me you didn't know
A reason for all that I do
And the reason is you

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by Skirmisher]

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by Skirmisher]

Miss X
04-03-2004, 10:21 AM
I really love the new Rasmus single, in the shadows. The lyrics touch me in a way;

No sleep No sleep until I´m done with finding the answer
Won´t stop Won´t stop before I find the cure for this cancer
Sometimes I feel like I´m going down and so disconnected
Somehow I know that I´m haunted to be wanted

I´ve been watching I've been waiting
In the shadows For my time
I' ve been searching I´ve been living
For tomorrows All my life

In the shadows

They say That I must learn to kill before I can feel safe
But I, I´d rather kill myself Than turn into their slave

Sometimes I feel like I should go and play with the thunder
Somehow I just dont want to stay and wait for the wonder

I´ve been searching I´ve been living

Baby I´ve been
Walking Walking in circles
Watching Waiting for something
Feel me Touch me Heal me Come take me higher

I´ve been searching I´ve been living

TheEschaton
04-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Have you seen the video for the Hoobastank song "The Reason"? Very cool.

I actually love that song. I also loved Switchfoot's "Meant for More", recently.

-TheE-

ThisOtherKingdom
04-03-2004, 10:57 AM
The latest album "Nude" released in February by V.A.S.T.(Visual Audio Sensory Theater (http://www.realvast.com)) Good stuff.

Hips
04-03-2004, 11:42 AM
It's not new at all, but... I've been listening to Jamie Vannah and Glue by Mappari pretty much non-stop. They played in a tiny venue my hometown a year or two ago, it was so great... we sat in front and sang along with all their songs, I think they were surprised that they had a "following," heheh.

Anyway, yeah, Mappari rocks, but since they're not "big" yet they really haven't had a real release. :(

Ilvane
04-03-2004, 12:11 PM
I love that Hoobastank song, but what the heck is up with that name??

I've actually just bought a CD, the single that is out now is "Devils and Angels", by Toby Lightman.

-A

TheEschaton
04-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Have you listened to the title track off that, Ilvane? It's good stuff.

-TheE-

Blazing247
04-03-2004, 12:27 PM
For me it's gotta be Linkin Park if I need to vent, or Coldplay when I'm feeling...emotional. Not that I have emotions other than angry and indifferent, though.

peam
04-03-2004, 12:36 PM
It's not really new, but The Mars Volta's "Deloused in the Comatorium" is amazing. "Son Et Lumiere" and "Inertiatic Esp" are the two opening trakcs on the album, and they rule hard.

The Get Up Kids' "Guilt Show" is a pretty solid release too. Their last album was total crap, and they've redeemed themselves with this puppy.

ThisOtherKingdom
04-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by peam
It's not really new, but The Mars Volta's "Deloused in the Comatorium" is amazing. "Son Et Lumiere" and "Inertiatic Esp" are the two opening trakcs on the album, and they rule hard.

Yeah, that's so 2003, peam.

peam
04-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, when you find something good, you have to keep rallying for it. Some people need all the help they can get.

Skirmisher
04-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by TheEschaton
Have you seen the video for the Hoobastank song "The Reason"? Very cool.
I actually love that song.
-TheE-

Yes, I saw the video first and it captured my interest immediately. Quite well done and Doug Robb ? the lead singer is quite cute which didn't hurt.:smilegrin:

Latrinsorm
04-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Ilvane
I love that Hoobastank song, but what the heck is up with that name??It's the middle name of the drummer or something. They're from one of those Scandanavian countries, aren't they? I got soured on their Hoobastank when I had to hear "Crawling in the Dark" about a million times in about a week span. Not that good a song, folks. I suppose I can give them another chance, though, that was like a year ago.

Satira
04-03-2004, 06:17 PM
The Sounds are pretty girlrockalicious. Check out the song Fire.

TOK and I are seeing The Mars Volta in a couple weeks... hehe yay.

Back
04-03-2004, 09:59 PM
I've got four...

Jet - Get Born

Awesome old school rock n' roll. The CD is all hits. Saw them play in DC. Met the band. The lead singer is shorter than me and I'm no giant. Of all the bands that played that night Jet were the rockstars.

Air - Talkie Walkie

French electronica duo. If you know them you'll love this CD. Surfing on a Rocket.

Lamb - Between Darkness & Wonder

Another duo, musician and singer. So positive they will make you tear for joy. Best tracks? Sugar 5 and Angelica.

Stereolab - Margerine Eclipse

Yeah, it sounds like all their other CDs, but who can resist that trendy euro-lounge sound. You can hear some at thier website. (http://www.stereolab.co.uk/)

Satira
04-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Jet sucks. They should learn how to write their own guitar riffs.

Back
04-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Like The Mars Volta? Yeah, real original.

Satira
04-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Sounds perty good to me.

Better than ripping off Lust For Life.

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Lady Satira]

Back
04-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Sorry, I dont have time to respond to your negative bullshit. I'm going to go watch SNL.

Drew2
04-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Hoobastank song "The Reason"

:thumbsup:

I actually love that song. I also loved Switchfoot's "Meant for More", recently.

-TheE-
:thumbsup:

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Tayre]

Lord Deprav
04-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Lost Prophets Last train home

Hoobastank The Reason

Switchfoot Meant to Live

Story of the Year Until the day I die

BigWorm
04-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Backlash, I almost skipped over your post when I saw Jet at the top, but I agree whole-heartedly with the rest of your picks. My thing against Jet is how ripped-off their sound is. I'm not the only one who thinks "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" sound an awful lot like Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life", while their new single "Cold-Hearted Bitch" would be right at home in the catalog of their countrymates AC/DC. Despite the fact that their sound is taken from things we've heard before, they do it well enough that the it's still a sound that is catchy and infectious. The way they do this reminds me of Ryan Adams, but I think he does a much more honestly artistic job of it.

Peam, I like the Mars Volta, but I think that the Get-Up Kids disappointed this time. Although I haven't heard a lot of it, I enjoy their only stuff, especially Four Minute Mile. "I'm a Loner Dottie, A Rebel..." is a song I've liked a lot for a while now.

On the topic of what I've been listening to, for the last month I haven't been able to hit stop on The Grey Album by DJ Danger Mouse (Yeah, that name is ridiculus, but the music isn't). He took an acapella version of Jay-Z's Black Album and put it on samples from The Beatles' White Album. Sounds like it wouldn't work, but it really, really does.

Some of the other things I've been listening to lately:

Gomez - In Our Gun
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
Sparta - Wiretap Scars
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk
Evevything by Elliot Smith, especially Either\Or
Bright Eyes - Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil...

BigWorm

peam
04-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Backlash
Like The Mars Volta? Yeah, real original.

At The Drive-In and the bands that rose from its ashes, Sparta and The Mars Volta, are two of the most original and progressive bands in music today.

Jet plays trendy rock revival that was hip about two years ago.

Meos
04-04-2004, 10:33 AM
I hate to say it, but that d12 song is catchy as hell. Eminem is alright in my book I guess.

TheEschaton
04-04-2004, 11:48 AM
All the D-12 songs are frickin' hilarious. First, purple pills, now the one about the band.

And BW, do you have the Grey Album? I've been trying to find it, but I can't.

-TheE-

DeV
04-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Sorry to tell yall, but the only good thing about D12 is Enimen. The others cant rap for shit in my book.

Oh, the new release I'm compeltely feeling, everyday is the new Usher album. <--- He really did it this time. Ladies, check it out if you havent yet, if your into r&b, its worth a listen.
Its straight from the heart.

TheEschaton
04-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Ah yes, straight from the heart. "We want a lady on the street, but a freak in the bed." Ha.

And some of D-12 is talented. Konartist, and Swifty McVey are pretty good.

-TheE-

peam
04-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Bizarre Kid is the best rapper in D12.

DeV
04-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Ah yes, straight from the heart. "We want a lady on the street, but a freak in the bed." Ha.

And some of D-12 is talented. Konartist, and Swifty McVey are pretty good.

-TheE- Peam your kidding, Bizarre is the joke of the hip hop world. Really he is.Its all about personal opinion though. And yes, if you dont know the story behind the Usher CD, dont comment. I dont mean all the songs of course, but a huge majority were written for his ex-girlfriend from TLC.

TheEschaton
04-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Chili? There's clips of her all up in that video from 8701.

-TheE-

DeV
04-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Dude.. TheE----like I said, you obviously don't know the complete story behind the album. Its not that serious though, why dont you read up on it and perhaps you will be more enlightened.

Hulkein
04-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Why don't you enlighten us about the secret meaning of the shitty album. :O

DeV
04-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Naaa.. enlighten your own self. :thumbsdown:

peam
04-04-2004, 02:21 PM
My statement stands. He's like a rapping Wesley Willis.

I, personally, can't stand rap in the styles of D12. How many drugs someone's done, how much precious metals someone owns, and how badly one can treat women are of no concern to me.

Edit - Usher, and R&B as a whole, are awful.

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by peam]

DeV
04-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by peam
R&B as a whole, are awful.

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by peam] You suck.

Notice: I said Usher album, for WOMEN/Ladies. Not many guys I know like him at all.. lol. So, thats nothing new.

Im cool with being the only r&b lover.. :saint:

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by DarkelfVold]

Skirmisher
04-04-2004, 04:05 PM
I have always disliked Usher and so it pained me greatly to like his newest effort, but I do. :grr:

Its got a nice sound and nice mix.

Oh and while I'm at it, I also like the new Mario Winans Song "Don't Wanna Know".

Tijay loves it too.

Lord Deprav
04-04-2004, 11:40 PM
I for one really appreciate listening to a rap countinously rap about politics and peoples problems with shitty rhymes and profanity. Really makes me feel good about the world.

Deprav
who listens to music for pleasure.

Sean
04-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Skirmisher
Oh and while I'm at it, I also like the new Mario Winans Song "Don't Wanna Know".

Tijay hates it too.

I really do hate that song.

Skirmisher
04-05-2004, 01:33 AM
Don't hate!

Where is the :heart:?

Meos
04-05-2004, 01:35 AM
Gangstar is good rap. :offtopic:

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Meos]

Miss X
04-05-2004, 06:26 AM
omg :heart: DarkElfVold. The new usher album has been on repeat on my cd player since the day it came out. Its great, and I dont usually get into that type of music! I love track 3 and 5!

Latrinsorm
04-05-2004, 10:22 AM
I forgot before, but Norah Jones' new album is excellent. Although I recently found out the version I have of "What Am I To You" is different from the album version, and infinitely better. It's all acousticky and yummy. :yes: So don't listen to the album version, it's cheesy.