PDA

View Full Version : The Last Exorcism

iJin
06-20-2010, 03:11 PM
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1866/exorcism.jpg

Oh goodie, do I love exorcism type movies!

There’s no such thing as demonic possession, and Reverend Marcus Cotton should know. Over the years, he’s performed countless sham “exorcisms,” using sleight-of-hand magic tricks, smoke bombs, and iPods to convince frightened believers that he could beat the devil. Now, seeking absolution for years of deceit, Cotton has invited a documentary film crew to follow him on his last case—a young farm girl plagued by bloody nightmares—and reveal the truth behind the lies. What they discover, however, proves far more dangerous and terrifying than they ever could have imagined.

Patience is not usually a quality one looks for in a horror movie, but in this white-knuckle nightmare, directed by Daniel Stamm from a script by Huck Botko and Andrew Gurland, patience is key. By taking the time to not only establish his characters, but also to tease us with elements that may—or may not—explain the unsettling events occurring at the remote farm, Stamm slowly layers on the chills and expertly builds the anticipation for the horrors sure to come.

Trailer here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9hY16Yg9M)

This Thursday, June 24th, is the red carpet world premiere at the Ford Amphitheater in Los Angeles for the movie. Eli Roth and Daniel Stamm are going to be in attendance (this means I get to raped Roth). If any of you are in LA and want to attend, you can purchase tickets here (http://www.lafilmfest.com/tixSYS/2010/xslguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=4520&notepg=)! Otherwise the movie comes out nationwide in August.

Already got my tickets. I'ma meet my baby daddy, and I'm excited. :D

Rucca
06-20-2010, 03:33 PM
OMG Jin, that looks AWESOME! I will definitely see that one.

B4Hand
06-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Ditto! Yay on going to the Premier!

iJin
06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
So, I saw this last night at the movie premiere. I seriously wasn't expecting it to be this good. It's like The Blair Witch Project meets The Exorcist. It was very fun, and had it's own style of evil. I'm definitely going to watch it again when it comes out.

Got to meet Eli Roth as well. He is by far the most nicest person ever! All the new actors did an awesome job too.

I enjoyed it very much. :)

iJin
08-04-2010, 12:02 AM
The Last Exorcism is coming out soon. I saw the trailer play when I went to go see Salt with Ash and Pat, and we loved seeing the reactions of the people. Some gasped, others were like "wtf", and then after that we heard many, "I'm so going to see that."

Yes, yes you will.

iJin
08-20-2010, 12:16 PM
So it seems for a marketing tactic, they decided to "punk" some guys on Chat Roulette. This video is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNSaurw6E_Q

P.S Comes out next Friday! Yay.

Cephalopod
08-20-2010, 12:23 PM
That's pretty awesome.

I want to see this in the theater, but I don't have anyone who isn't a pussy to go with me.

EDIT: What's with all the PG-13 horror movies the last few years? The Grudge, The Ring, etc. I don't know if I agree with this 'less is more' approach to terrorizing people.

Enitocin
08-20-2010, 08:53 PM
...I hope it's actually good. All of the recent horror movies have been really really REALLY lacking.
And I don't know if Splice was considered horror or whatever.. But fuck that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Even worse than The Room. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw)

Ryvicke
09-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Saw it. It was... surprisingly understated? Totally liked it. If it would have ended thirty seconds earlier it would have had a near masterful closing shot.

Michaelous
09-05-2010, 04:51 AM
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1866/exorcism.jpg

Oh goodie, do I love exorcism type movies!

did you know your name means demon in arabic?

Showal
09-05-2010, 09:17 AM
did you know your name means demon in arabic?

You're so so so bright.

Enitocin
09-05-2010, 10:25 PM
You're so so so bright.
i leik u

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I thought the movie sucked ass. The ending was just kind of slammed into place in the last 5 minutes. Up until the ending, I liked it.

CrystalTears
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I thought the movie sucked ass. The ending was just kind of slammed into place in the last 5 minutes. Up until the ending, I liked it.
So it sucked ass because of the last 5 minutes?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

CrystalTears
09-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't think I would discredit an entire movie for 5 minutes, even if it's the last 5. It had to have been truly detestable of an ending that the rest of it wasn't worth mentioning.

I love horror movies, but I'm rather particular about it. I've been spoiled by Japanese/Korean horror movies. I'm looking to get more feedback on this before I see it.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Hard to discuss it without spoiling it... To me, the last five minutes were only vaguely related to the entire movie. They introduced a bunch of unrelated shit that pushed it beyond the realm of "reasonable" for me. The movie and the way they depicted the possession were all realistic and well played right up until the totally unbelievable ending, which ruined it for me. They could have very easily left out a couple of things and it have ended awesomely.

Ryvicke
09-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think I would discredit an entire movie for 5 minutes, even if it's the last 5. It had to have been truly detestable of an ending that the rest of it wasn't worth mentioning.

I love horror movies, but I'm rather particular about it. I've been spoiled by Japanese/Korean horror movies. I'm looking to get more feedback on this before I see it.

The movie as a whole isn't going to blow your mind, but in the genre of the recent "Exorcism" remakes it was a pretty gigantic surprise. It treats its characters with realistic levels of respect, the acting by the two "leads" is incredibly solid, it uses docu-cam without being unbearable and it generally tells a pretty nifty little story that feels a lot of the time very outside of the "horror genre" (there are actually quite a few funny moments that aren't mean-spirited or laughing at a child dying or anything). Oh yeah also--this is PG-13.

I disagree with SHM about the ending--which I don't really think should be talked about in this context (of being surprising or unreailstic) because of how insanely tame it is in the context of other modern horror movies. The ending (the part SHM is talking about) is fucking awesome and totally needed. To reiterate though, the final 30 seconds is a waste of a powerful closing shot that ties together a really nice character arc and is the only real "setpiece" in what was probably an insanely cheap movie to make.

iJin
09-07-2010, 10:57 PM
SPOILER:

I could of sworn that baby looked like a goddamn dragon. It still boggles the mind.

Showal
09-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I just love the drawings she does.

Seran
09-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Someone mentioned the movie is a cross between Blair Witch and the Exorcist.

Does that mean the damn camera flip flops all over the fucking place until you get motion sick?

Showal
09-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Someone mentioned the movie is a cross between Blair Witch and the Exorcist.

Does that mean the damn camera flip flops all over the fucking place until you get motion sick?

During one scene, but otherwise, I thought the camera work was pretty good.

Ryvicke
09-08-2010, 08:58 AM
SPOILER:

lolwut?? I didn't think you could even see it and kind of like the rest of the movie you just imagined it--YOU apparently imagine dragon demons coming out of little girls.

That kinda makes sense maybe.

Showal
09-08-2010, 09:02 AM
lolwut?? I didn't think you could even see it and kind of like the rest of the movie you just imagined it--YOU apparently imagine dragon demons coming out of little girls.

That kinda makes sense maybe.

I saw it. She's right. It did look like a mini dragon demon.

Ryvicke
09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Fine, I'm going to download a cammed version (of this cammed movie! double-cam!) and check out this dragon demon thing.

I thought I was a good movie watcher...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/nobody_boy/snoopywalk.gif