PDA

View Full Version : Death's Sting

IorakeWarhammer
06-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Anyone having issues with death's sting?

Wanted to open a thoughtful thread about this issue because I think in Shattered it's a lot different from prime.

I think they should make a change so the higher the death's sting, the more effective the potion is if purchased for the same price if it is consumed within 30 seconds. That way people won't wake up at the altar after scripting and notice they've been killed 10 times and have piercing death's sting won't be totally crippled if they have no silvers.

I mean, at piercing death's sting, wouldn't it take like 100 hours of straight powerhunting to get back to normal? It's pretty hardcore.

Sam
06-13-2010, 02:47 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2135/12119137/22200636/367734564.jpg

AMUSED1
06-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Don't do stupid shit to get you killed. Or make enemies with people that will kill you. If you want to play in Shattered you have to handle the consequences of what death's sting can do to you. I really hope Shattered doesn't get disneyfied and sting become less of an issue there.

Shattered is good because there can be consequences in any action you take. If you feel you can't handle the chance of waking up the next morning and coming back to the computer with a lot of death's sting then guess what: DON'T AFK SCRIPT!

It's as simple as that.

Some Rogue
06-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I hate to agree but I do think something should be done with death's sting in Shattered. It's stupid that one person can basically ruin the game for you for that long. I'm all for keeping the slow recovery rate or even seeing it increased, but the xp loss for that amount of time kinda sucks.

Some Rogue
06-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Don't do stupid shit to get you killed. Or make enemies with people that will kill you .

Sometimes people do it just to be assholes. You can be minding your own business and some drunk asshole behind a computer feels like ruining your game for the next 3 weeks.

Death's sting is retarded enough in prime, but in Shattered there's no reason for it.

Sam
06-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Death's Sting is considerably better than the old straight EXP loss... just pay the damn priestess. This game is too easy already.

AMUSED1
06-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Sometimes people do it just to be assholes. You can be minding your own business and some drunk asshole behind a computer feels like ruining your game for the next 3 weeks.

Death's sting is retarded enough in prime, but in Shattered there's no reason for it.

And yet you should have known the consequences of playing Shattered before you signed up. It's like driving in a destruction derby and expecting to not get hit too badly.

There have been, and probably always will be, assholes in GS. Shattered is the best place for them. If you can't handle playing in an instance where they have no rules then don't play in that instance. Simple as that.

On the other hand, I'm not one of the ones constantly killing people there either. Nor have I been killed there except for the one time someone did it and actually asked my permission beforehand. There are definite ways around not being man-handled there. You just have to live and learn how to get around.

Methais
06-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I always thought the exp penalty was gay in Prime, since you already have to sit around waiting for stats to recover, but it's still better than the old 10k exp loss. In Shattered though, it makes sense.

I don't think Death's Sting will really be a problem once more clerics reach level 18 and can raise anyway.

Unless you're such a huge dickbag that letting you decay > raise exp, which goes back to choices having consequences in Shattered.

So if you're a huge dickbag and people are killing you and clerics refuse to raise you and you end up decaying and have max death's sting, whose fault is that?

radamanthys
06-13-2010, 03:20 PM
The altar should be sancted.

AMUSED1
06-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Then roll up a bard or cleric to go in and sanct it yourself.

Methais
06-13-2010, 03:33 PM

This I agree with. Until people started getting killed there in Shattered, I always assumed it was sancted since it's Lorminstra's temple and all, but then that would make sense.

I do think throwaway characters rolled up specifically for the purpose of griefing with no possible consequences is pretty gay though, but I don't know what could/should be done about it.

SanGreal
06-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Why do you have no silvers? I went through a bad stretch and spent almost a mil on potions before fixing my skills. No big deal

Some Rogue
06-13-2010, 03:51 PM
And yet you should have known the consequences of playing Shattered before you signed up. It's like driving in a destruction derby and expecting to not get hit too badly.

No, it's not like that at all. And like I said, I thought it was fucking gay in prime and it's even worse here. There's no fucking point to it.

It just takes a game that is already a thousand times worse time sink than most other games out there and makes it worse. I swear I think most of the people who play GS anymore are masochists who love getting bent over and ass raped by something that is supposed to be fun.

AMUSED1
06-13-2010, 03:56 PM
You get to script all you want for experience in Shattered to make up for not having to waste time hunting yourself AND YET YOU STILL COMPLAIN.

In Prime you might spend 4 hours a day hunting. In Shattered you could AFK script for 16 hours a day and then actually play for 4 hours.

Yet you still complain that it isn't enough? I really think you just need to find a new game and stop feeling like you're ass-raped. There's no making you happy at all from the looks of it.

thecapm
06-13-2010, 04:07 PM
In Shattered you could AFK script for 24 hours a day and then actually play for 0 hours.

Fixed that for you.

If anything, getting rid of Death's Sting in Shattered would provide an environment more conducive to random killing sprees, something I think we all could enjoy.

Some Rogue
06-13-2010, 05:00 PM
You get to script all you want for experience in Shattered to make up for not having to waste time hunting yourself AND YET YOU STILL COMPLAIN.

In Prime you might spend 4 hours a day hunting. In Shattered you could AFK script for 16 hours a day and then actually play for 4 hours.

Yet you still complain that it isn't enough? I really think you just need to find a new game and stop feeling like you're ass-raped. There's no making you happy at all from the looks of it.

I have a new game. I just came back to this one for a break. I see why I left it in the first place. Enjoy your dwindling population though. The business model that Simu uses is proving really successful. :jerkit:

HJFudge
06-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya?

Seriously though...if you don't enjoy it, leave? There are plenty of care-bear no penalty games out there for you to choose from.

faloon
06-13-2010, 05:33 PM
How can anyone in shattered be broke over level 10.. I have over 3m on each of my two guys.

IorakeWarhammer
06-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I got killed by a level 3 player over 5 times when I was AFK at the altar.

I blame myself, but really.. no sanct at the altar? wtf?

Tisket
06-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya?

Seriously though...if you don't enjoy it, leave?

And that's exactly what he did (if your comment was directed at SR that is). But whether or not someone chooses to stay or to leave has nothing to do with their ability to recognize and comment on the issues that drove them to do so though.

nub
06-13-2010, 07:24 PM

So why during the times that you actually "play" should it be boring and tedious from death's sting? It's the time sink that is stupid, it has nothing to do with easy/hard. It has to do with time which not everyone has so much of. That's why they (well some) are in shattered so they can be a high level or at the same high level as those who don't have jobs.

IorakeWarhammer
06-13-2010, 07:32 PM
i think they should just cap death's sting at sharp in Shattered. little compromise. who has fucking 100 hours to play to get rid of it?

Stunseed
06-13-2010, 07:43 PM
You can script 100 hours of experience in 100 hours.

Unless you're a douchebag in the instance and get ganked constantly.

Murkshev
06-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Interesting, maybe someone in Prime is trying to learn how the story of death's sting works so they can use it in Shattered. Guess now I have to keep my mouth shut about how to get the free flasks from the priestess'.

Fallen
06-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Just go back to hunting, and use your loot to buy potions. It isn't like you don't learn at all, you just learn at a slower pace. At this low level, the potions should cost very little. Fuck, go skin rats and buy potions every now and then. Shouldn't take but an hour or so to make enough silver doing any number of tasks to work off DS.

Ryvicke
06-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Interesting, maybe someone in Prime is trying to learn how the story of death's sting works so they can use it in Shattered. Guess now I have to keep my mouth shut about how to get the free flasks from the priestess'.

If you have a way to do this that doesn't involve the joint effort of 5 characters of differing races and a hell of a lot of work then that would be really interesting. As it is the potion puzzle is (semi-) solved and immensely painful.

BriarFox
06-13-2010, 08:04 PM
The thing is, Stun, that some griefers act without rhyme or reason. They might kill some random guy afk-scripting 15 or 20 times. There's no karmic standard in Shattered.

Stunseed
06-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Someone signed the "No tampon" clause when they got into Shattered, while I like the thought of the concept, I'll be keeping to Plat/Prime. :)

Makkah
06-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Yea... um... not that big of a deal.

http://www.mularos.com/deathsting.html

BriarFox
06-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Yeah - just a pain in the ass. Worth it if you've got horrible sting, though.

Ryvicke
06-13-2010, 08:33 PM

I may have exaggerated. I did it a few years back with pretty bad sting. There's a reason people buy the potions. It's not a walk in the park.

Makkah
06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
The only pain in the ass is finding the residue on the mounds after you blast the beam. If it's on the OTHER side of the Dragonspine, forget about it. Just run it again.

Otherwise, just do the puzzle then run a script that checks all the mounds on the westside of the mountains. 2 in Icemule (I think, if I remember), 2 or 3 in SH, then 3 in Landing.

Cephalopod
06-13-2010, 09:22 PM
The fun part is knowing when people are doing it and stealing the residue before they get to it.

Ryvicke
06-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Didn't someone say they figured out how to aim it? Also this is worthless to anyone outside of the landing/sol/mule area. That's my problem with it.

Makkah
06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Nobody knows how to aim it.

Ryvicke
06-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Nobody knows how to aim it.

Jesus let's fucking figure it out!

Bhaalizmo
06-13-2010, 11:10 PM
I personally don't feel they should change death's sting. I do agree that wherever you wind up after a decay should be sancted tho.

Methais
06-14-2010, 12:17 AM
How much are the exp penalties for the different levels of Death's Sting anyway? I never really learned much about it other than it pwns your exp gain.

radamanthys
06-14-2010, 12:25 AM
How much are the exp penalties for the different levels of Death's Sting anyway? I never really learned much about it other than it pwns your exp gain.

Death with Deeds and Resurrection carries 1 Constitution Reducer per recent death with no Experience Absorption Efficiency.

Death with Resurrection and No Deeds carries a greater Constitution Reduction plus reduced health, stamina, spirit, and mana recovery rate for next 2000 experience. The next 500 points of experience will be absorbed very slowly.

Decay with Deeds is similar to the above with a slightly greater reduction in recovery. The next 1000 points of experience will be absorbed very slowly.

Decay without Deeds, or DEPART/Spirit Death with Deeds is the same as above with the recovery rate inhibited for 5000 experience points. The next 2000 points of experience will be absorbed very slowly.

DEPART/Spirit Death without Deeds is the same as above with the recovery rate inhibited for 10000 experience points. The next 4000 points of experience will be absorbed very slowly.

The modifier for recent deaths will be capped at 5; even if a character has a chronic death problem, the character will not lose more than 5 Constitution for a normal death with resurrection. The cumulative maximum reduction will be capped at 25. These points will be recouped at a rate of 1 point per 2000 exp gained. The Cleric spell, Holy Receptacle 325 - Chrism, may mitigate this temporary Constitution loss, reducing it by up to 2 points. Characters under level 10 will not lose Constitution for recent deaths.

Makkah
06-14-2010, 01:02 AM

God fucking damn it noob. Please quit.

Monotonous
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Of course there is a point to Death's Sting.

The point is DON'T FUCKING DIE.

How hard is that to understand? It's the primary motivator for you not to do stupid shit or piss people off, which most of you seem to be uncontrollably compelled to do.

Don't whine. Don't cry. Don't try to change a fundamental mechanic of the game. Just shut the fuck up, stop annoying people, stop being an asshole, and stop doing stupid shit.

If you died a lot while AFK, you're a moron for letting your character remain in the game while dead.

If someone killed you a lot, you're a moron for antagonizing them.

Every major PKer in the game leaves me alone because I made friends with them and don't act like a self-righteous fuckwad.

They killed me once. I killed them back. We joked around. End of story.

Thread.new{ wait_until{ percenthealth <= 20}; fput "exit"; exit; }

Put that at the top of your bad hunting script.

I just solved all your problems. You're welcome. End of thread.

AnticorRifling
06-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Man not hitting 25 first made you bitter.

Monotonous
06-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Man not hitting 25 first made you bitter.

No, I'm fine now. I got help.

http://www.hdforindies.com/uploaded_images/fc_bob-701605.jpg

AnticorRifling
06-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Those are incredible moobs, measts, mits? Let's go with mits.

Anebriated
06-14-2010, 12:55 PM
looks like its a bit chilly in there.

Deathravin
06-14-2010, 01:08 PM
The point is DON'T FUCKING DIE.
Don't die, or make enough silver between deaths to afford the flasks.

Celephais
06-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Those are incredible moobs, measts, mits? Let's go with mits.

They're in their own class, I just call them Robert Paulsons.

Methais
06-14-2010, 03:35 PM
God fucking damn it noob. Please quit.

If you weren't such a noob you wouldn't be dying. I don't know the numbers because unlike you, I'm l33t and don't get pwned.

Deathravin
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Moobies!