PDA

View Full Version : Worth a chuckle

Hulkein
04-02-2004, 02:22 AM
>l
[Raging Thrak Inn, Front Desk]
A polished wooden desk sits to the side of the staircase, and bears the placard of the Thrak's proprietor. At the top of the creaky wooden stairs are the establishment's guest rooms. You also see a freshly-painted sign and a handpainted placard.
Also here: Mentor Adyr, Lady Firena, Tarthos, Lord Zarvon who is lying down
Obvious exits: north

Adyr clearly says, "Hello tarthos,im mentor adyr,here to welcome you yo elanthia."
>
Zarvon says, "Hi."
>
You say, "Learn how to speak common before you help anyone else."
>chuck
You chuckle.
>

Adyr clearly says, "If you ever need help tarthos,feel free to go to,silverwood manor,and ring the bell."
>
* Smoothnatty just bit the dust!
>
Adyr bows to Tarthos.
>
Adyr waves.
>
Adyr just went north.

-----------

For some reason you can't post with errant spaces in between sentences, but the guy had a habit of hitting the space bar about 4 times between certain words, and then no space bar for others.

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Hulkein]

Anebriated
04-02-2004, 03:48 AM
Other than a few misspellings and the lack of spaces after comma's i dont see whats wrong with it...

Nakiro
04-02-2004, 03:50 AM
I respect him for not being sidetracked by your comment, and not being blantly retarded (other than the typing thing, which for some people just can't be helped) like Deeevewraereeeeeeawereeeeereeee.

Vesi
04-02-2004, 03:50 AM
Maybe he was nervous.

Vesi

FinisWolf
04-02-2004, 04:01 AM
Naw, Adyr is a good mentor and fellow collegue in the mentor world. Dun care for him out of the mentor society, but hey, he does good work, and as far as his ignoring you, its exactly what we are taught to do as mentors..., ignore smart asses. LOL Personally, I macro'd those welcomes, and spell checked. :grin:

Finiswolf

Souzy
04-02-2004, 04:23 AM
My mentor rawked. I rung the bell like 4 million times and got one Mentor that zipped me right through everything, pretty funny. Wish I remembered his name though. But, Lilsmith is the coolest one evar! What's that thing that they give you, where you can call them from anywhere and they pop up?

Miss X
04-02-2004, 05:00 AM
Some people will just pick on anyone for anything. Maybe his keyboard is dodgy or something, he didnt actually do anything wrong. Kudos to him for ignoring your smart ass comment.

FinisWolf
04-02-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Lalana
My mentor rawked. I rung the bell like 4 million times and got one Mentor that zipped me right through everything, pretty funny. Wish I remembered his name though. But, Lilsmith is the coolest one evar! What's that thing that they give you, where you can call them from anywhere and they pop up?

It's mentor bond...

Finiswolf

TheEschaton
04-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Hulkein is an ass. Adyr is a good guy. No more details are required.

-TheE-

Wezas
04-02-2004, 09:16 AM
I've spoken with Adyr quite a few times, he seemed to be just fine. My guess is it's either the keyboard issue or the fact that he was nervous.

Alcohol/Drugs are also always a possibility.

TheEschaton
04-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Or it could be none of those things.

-TheE-

Parkbandit
04-02-2004, 10:09 AM
God.. I hate to agree with Hulkein.. but I think he's right.

Mentors are supposed to set the example for the new players of the game. That means using proper grammar in sentances... which should be pretty simple.

Adyr clearly says, "Hello tarthos,im mentor adyr,here to welcome you yo elanthia."

Adyr clearly says, "If you ever need help tarthos,feel free to go to,silverwood manor,and ring the bell."

Adyr may be a great guy and overall stud with the ladies.. but in the Mentor role, he is an 'employee' of Simutronics and as such should be held to a higher standard then those two 'Welcome' sentances. If I were the new player, I would be thinking "Damn, is this guy still in the 3rd grade?"

While I wouldn't have said anything to him as Hulkein did... I would be a little put off that this person is welcoming new players to a text game where everything is based on how you type.

Hulkein
04-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah, that's what I was getting at Park, new members should be encouraged to try and type as coherently as possible.

Not a big deal, I wasn't berating him, I just found it funny. There was nothing for him to respond to, I didn't ask him a question, was just making light of his obvious keyboard problem or whatever it was. So yeah... kudos.

Skirmisher
04-02-2004, 01:03 PM
I have no problem with letting him know it would be best to use more care when welcoming a newly arrived player, simply do it with a whisper next time.

FinisWolf
04-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
God.. I hate to agree with Hulkein.. but I think he's right.

Mentors are supposed to set the example for the new players of the game. That means using proper grammar in sentances... which should be pretty simple.

Adyr may be a great guy and overall stud with the ladies.. but in the Mentor role, he is an 'employee' of Simutronics and as such should be held to a higher standard then those two 'Welcome' sentances. If I were the new player, I would be thinking "Damn, is this guy still in the 3rd grade?"

While I wouldn't have said anything to him as Hulkein did... I would be a little put off that this person is welcoming new players to a text game where everything is based on how you type.

Who the hell ever told you that mentors are "employees" of Simu? Whoever did is way off base. Mentors are volunteers. Simu gives mentors crap-o-la.

Finiswolf

Hulkein
04-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Ok, he represents Simutronics. That better?

DeV
04-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Though he needs to definitely fix the "keyboard" problem, maybe thats the way he likes to type and arrange his sentences. I think if I hung around him alot and he typed like that it woud get annoying after a while.
A whisper would have been more tactful, and less confrontational.

FinisWolf
04-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
Ok, he represents Simutronics. That better?

To be utterly honest, and even more correct, he represents the player base, and can possibly be used as a go between with a GH/GM, though 9 times out of 10 the GH/GM's won't even hold up their half of aiding the mentors.

Either way, I do agree that if he was having typing problems, he shouldn't been there, which also may be why he cut and run so fast, we usually go through some long ass BS for newbies...., well, unless he is only trying to say he answered a ton of doorbells...., nevermind... getting to deep in thought over something this ....

Finiswolf

Mint
04-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I have a friend that types that way when he is drunk. Only worse.

Killer Kitten
04-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Two years ago Adyr's player suffered a massive grand mal seizure and went into a week long coma. He had an abscess in his brain and nearly died. He has undergone numerous brain surgeries and still suffers some aftereffects from his illness. He is still unable to return to work and requires daily medication and frequent doctor visits. He will probably require more surgery in the future.

Despite this he manages to always have a kind word, a sunny smile and a cheerful 'hello' for friend and stranger alike. Adyr's player likes being a mentor because he likes to help other people. He does this in the virtual world because at this point in time he is physically unable to do so in the real world. He's a very fine person and deserves a thread praising his kindness and courage, rather than mocking him for his handicaps.

Kimm/Tilone

TheEschaton
04-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Friends, Adyr is not the problem. He's trying his best, believe me. It can be dropped.

-TheE-

Mint
04-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten
He's a very fine person and deserves a thread praising his kindness and courage, rather than mocking him for his handicaps.

More people in this thread were defending him than not. Pay attention. And props to him btw.

Hulkein
04-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Well, that'd explain it. Thanks. Yeah, so this thread's done. No chuckling coming from me.

Sorry if he was offended Kitten... didn't even cross my mind that it would be something like that.

<<More people in this thread were defending him than not. Pay attention. And props to him btw.>>

That makes it seem like I was making fun of him. I put this here because it was odd that a mentor would be typing like that... Obviously my assumption was correct seeing as he has a brain injury. My comment to him was in a joking manner, I figured he was having a keyboard problem or was drunk etc. I didn't say anything after his second sentence, or even attempt to.

Ambrosia
04-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten
Two years ago Adyr's player suffered a massive grand mal seizure and went into a week long coma. He had an abscess in his brain and nearly died. He has undergone numerous brain surgeries and still suffers some aftereffects from his illness. He is still unable to return to work and requires daily medication and frequent doctor visits. He will probably require more surgery in the future.

Despite this he manages to always have a kind word, a sunny smile and a cheerful 'hello' for friend and stranger alike. Adyr's player likes being a mentor because he likes to help other people. He does this in the virtual world because at this point in time he is physically unable to do so in the real world. He's a very fine person and deserves a thread praising his kindness and courage, rather than mocking him for his handicaps.

Kimm/Tilone

No one was mocking and it's really great that he likes to be helpful, however, if I came into a text based game and someone welcomed me with that typing, I would be semi-put off from playing. The lack of capitalization, the way words are run together would make me wonder how old the player base is and what type of game this is.

Adyr may be a great person inside and out, but new people in Gemstone cannot see that and will not know that through a computer. It would make a decision to stay and try out Gemstone difficult for a lot of people.

DeV
04-02-2004, 04:09 PM
So Ambrosia, are you saying that you have to type perfectly in order to be a benefit to new players in Gemstone?

Mint
04-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

<<More people in this thread were defending him than not. Pay attention. And props to him btw.>>

That makes it seem like I was making fun of him. I put this here because it was odd that a mentor would be typing like that... Obviously my assumption was correct seeing as he has a brain injury. My comment to him was in a joking manner, I figured he was having a keyboard problem or was drunk etc. I didn't say anything after his second sentence, or even attempt to.

My comment was aimed more at KK's generalities about the responses to your initial post. Wasn't intended as a criticism of you Hulkein.

TheEschaton
04-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Believe me, Ambrosia, more new players type like Adyr than not.

Adyr gets nothing but great reports from novices.

-TheE-

Killer Kitten
04-02-2004, 04:26 PM

My attention span is in fine working order. I was (rather obviously I thought) addressing my post to those who were commenting negatively. I find it disheartening how quick people are sometimes in jumping on a bandwagon to criticize a person they don't even know because they read a post or log that doesn't show them at their best.

I just figured that if people knew Adyr's players story they might realize what an admirable person he is. I also hoped that perhaps they would keep his story in mind and the next time give somebody the benefit of the doubt.

Kimm/Tilone