PDA

View Full Version : Empath in FGB at 40..

sfogarty
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
So my empath just got a set of FGB, and I'm throwing him into it. His eventual training plan is:

1x Polearms
1x CM
2x PT (now only 1x)
1x Harness
2x Spell Aim
10 SMC
2x spells (currently 30/25/30)
1x lores (15 blessing, rest summoning).

However, I don't get the TP's for all of this till something like level 80. So something has to go... mostly CM. The question is: what should be put off to catch up on CM quicker. Options are pretty much:

Spells: I could just 1x empath, instead of pushing it to level. This lets me catch up real quick.
Lores: Summoning lore and fire spirit are neat, but fire spirit spams the room regardless.

Opinions?

Kithor
06-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Drop the spell aiming altogether, 1x Blessing Lore. Blessing adds to AS (+1/10 ranks from Heroism) and if you go GoS the extra stamina from 1107 can be turned into mana. I'd also recommend 0.5-1x SMC as it determines how fast Troll's Blood ticks. (every 25 skill, so 5/10/17/24/33/50/75/100 ranks are the cutoff points)

sfogarty
06-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Ah yes, I should have commented :) I am keeping my precious precious spell aiming. I know it's expensive. But I love fire spirit, I adore fire spirit in warcamps, and it's my PPRREECCIOUS!!!

Er. Right.

sfogarty
06-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Perhaps I should rephrase. By my calculations, per level:

Skill | Cost | Benefit
CM | 32 MTP | 0.5AS, Manuever Defense, and ~0.05 DS through cmovement.
MnS | 16 MTP | 0.5 DS and CS on Web.
MjS | 16 MTP | .33 DS and CS on Bind. I prefer Web.
Empath | 16 MTP | 1.33 DS, 0.5 AS, 0.33 TD per level, and CS on Sympathy. (1109, 1119, 1130)
Summoning | 6 MTP | +fire spirit DF and splashing. Useful, but fire spirit splashes like crazy anyway.
Blessing | 6 MTP | gets me 0.1AS per level, and some amount of stamina regeneration from 1107.
PT | 8 MTP | Unknown stamina and a bit of maneuver defense.

From where I am standing, empath circle provide the best deal. Blessing lore is 0.016 AS per MTP, and empath is 0.03125 AS for MTP.

In fact, I'm only 30 in empath. Empath ranks seem to be so valuable that I should drop CM to go above 2x spells: since I'm converting MTP's to PTP's, the cost is the same. On the down-side, that would /tank/ my already pathetic cman defense. Perhaps this could be mitigated by putting the PTP's (if I drop insane amounts of CM) into PT, which is supposedly the prime stat for maneuver defense?

Am I missing anything?

WRoss
06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Drop pole arm and go THW. You'll want those extra TPs when you get a few extra trains. Yes, 1x empath and get blessing when you can. If you are going to swing, you shouldn't try and bolt, so pick one.

sfogarty
06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Drop pole arm and go THW. You'll want those extra TPs when you get a few extra trains. Yes, 1x empath and get blessing when you can. If you are going to swing, you shouldn't try and bolt, so pick one.

As mentioned, eventually I can afford /everything/. Pre-cap (around 80 or so). Blessing, at 0.1AS per level, hardly seems worth it past 10 or 20. I am not hurting for AS by any measure.

Besides, Lances blow Mauls out of the water.

Drew
06-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Perhaps I should rephrase. By my calculations, per level:

Skill | Cost | Benefit

PT | 8 MTP | Unknown stamina and a bit of maneuver defense.

You say it later, but PT is the primary SMR maneuver defense. Well worth it to train 2x IMO if possible.

sfogarty
06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah, it seems to me that I'll be taking 2x PT and 1x Empath (ends up being 2.3 spells) before CM.

And, of course, eventually it doesn't matter, I get enough TP's to get it all. It's just what I take now and what I catch up on later.

Drew
06-02-2010, 05:27 PM
When do you really start facing critters that maneuver you a ton? Other than arch wights and tree spirits using boil earth on me I pretty much avoided them until illoke. Personally I might consider CM for the extra AS when you are young and PT for when you start hitting the big boys in end game.

sfogarty
06-03-2010, 04:11 AM
When do you really start facing critters that maneuver you a ton? Other than arch wights and tree spirits using boil earth on me I pretty much avoided them until illoke. Personally I might consider CM for the extra AS when you are young and PT for when you start hitting the big boys in end game.

Warcamps and bandits.

WRoss
06-03-2010, 07:32 AM
As mentioned, eventually I can afford /everything/. Pre-cap (around 80 or so). Blessing, at 0.1AS per level, hardly seems worth it past 10 or 20. I am not hurting for AS by any measure.

Besides, Lances blow Mauls out of the water.

Sounds to me like you want everyone to just say you're right, instead of listening to a person who has actually done an empath like this to cap.

sfogarty
06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Sounds to me like you want everyone to just say you're right, instead of listening to a person who has actually done an empath like this to cap.

Nooo, I want advice on optimizing my problem withing the constraints given. I'm not asking for what I should do with polearms, spell aiming, fogging, or armor use. I know it is sub-optimal (at least spell-aiming and fogging/brig this early), but it is more fun. Yes, I'd be a stronger swinger if I dropped MjS to bravery and pumped the rest into empath spells. I don't care.

I am asking what I should with CM, PT, lores, and spells, for now, until I have enough PT's to get all of them.

From the answers I've gotten, PT and empath spells (even above 2x spell training) are more important than CM, which is more important than lores.

If I start having problems with my AS, I promise you I will consider dropping constraints.

And who knows, perhaps with my improved PT I'll be able to pump out Sigils of Distraction and Intimidation.