PDA

View Full Version : ;Wander in the abandoned sewer

Drew
05-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Any thoughts on why wander walks by a ton of giant rats with nothing else in the room but occasionally stops for some? I'm in wizard if it matters.

Sam
05-27-2010, 06:13 AM
I've noticed the same thing in DS Harbingers and the Labyrinth.

crb
05-27-2010, 07:55 AM
gotta be weird XML or something.

census works in there though so...

Ryvicke
05-27-2010, 09:05 AM
It has a problem with rooms with the same descriptions, and from what I was told, an even bigger problem in areas where there are 6/8 rooms with the same description. It doesn't work in Oteska's Haven in RR or either of the RR forest mazes and I think Tillmen kind of said that it never might.

SpiffyJr
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
There's no way to tell unique rooms in the map database if the room description is the same.

Drunken Durfin
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Any thoughts on why wander walks by a ton of giant rats with nothing else in the room but occasionally stops for some? I'm in wizard if it matters.

I used the same basic hunting script for all my areas and that is the only place that it walks past critters.

Tillmen
05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
99% of movements in the map database move you one room. If the room you're in has another room with the same title, description, and paths, it can't easily know which direction to move you. The catacombs has a good dozen or more identical rooms. To make go2 work in the catacombs when starting it in one of the duplicate rooms, the database just starts moving you in one direction until it figures out where you are, at which point it may have to turn around and go back in the other direction. During all these moves, wander does not have control and can not check for critters or stop moving.

While this works well enough for go2, it causes the problems you're seeing with wander. On the other hand, if not for the workaround, wander would get stuck and not move at all. I don't believe it's possible to fix this while still using the map database for movements. However, the purpose of wander using the map database is to be able to go through gates, paths, climb things, etc. It's not needed for the catacombs at all, and most other places where this is a problem. walk.lic does just about the same thing as wander, but only uses cardinal directions.

Drew
05-27-2010, 07:53 PM
99% of movements in the map database move you one room. If the room you're in has another room with the same title, description, and paths, it can't easily know which direction to move you. The catacombs has a good dozen or more identical rooms. To make go2 work in the catacombs when starting it in one of the duplicate rooms, the database just starts moving you in one direction until it figures out where you are, at which point it may have to turn around and go back in the other direction. During all these moves, wander does not have control and can not check for critters or stop moving.

While this works well enough for go2, it causes the problems you're seeing with wander. On the other hand, if not for the workaround, wander would get stuck and not move at all. I don't believe it's possible to fix this while still using the map database for movements. However, the purpose of wander using the map database is to be able to go through gates, paths, climb things, etc. It's not needed for the catacombs at all, and most other places where this is a problem. walk.lic does just about the same thing as wander, but only uses cardinal directions.

Yep in minotaurs I use ;walk. The downside is that bigshot uses wander. The upside is that there a brazillion other areas to hunt in.