PDA

View Full Version : Bonded weapon return on disarm?

lordsmo
05-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Does this always work? What if the critter picks up the weapon after he disarms me, or what if I die without the weapon in my hand? Will it still come back to me? This seems like something I'd rather learn about by asking rather than field-testing....

Basically, I'm wondering if I should be using my bonded weapon against critters that disarm, or if I should be using a cheaper back-up weapon.

Mogonis
05-25-2010, 03:22 AM
The weapon will fly out of the jerk's hand.

The only risk is being killed while the weapon is out of your possession. That and someone picking it up and stashing it before it flies back to you. I'm not aware of their ability to fly out of containers.

Sylvan Dreams
05-25-2010, 12:53 PM
As long as the creature or you do not leave the room, if you are disarmed or hurl the weapon, it will return. If you GIVE, drop, or otherwise voluntarily release the weapon (except for hurling), it will NOT return. If you are disarmed and someone else picks up the weapon and stashes it before it returns, it will not fly out of the container.

Also, keep in mind that a paladin-bonded weapon is usable only by that paladin until s/he makes a new bond with a different weapon.

Back
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I believe bonding will NOT stop a creature from taking your weapon from your corpse... someone please confirm or deny.

TheLastShamurai
05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
I believe bonding will NOT stop a creature from taking your weapon from your corpse... someone please confirm or deny.

It won't.

Sylvan Dreams
05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
It will not.
I've not seen a bonded weapon return to a corpse, either.

TheLastShamurai
05-25-2010, 01:01 PM
It will not.
I've not seen a bonded weapon return to a corpse, either.

I won't do that either.

Although I think it would be sexy if the bond extended into death.

Sylvan Dreams
05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I won't do that either.

Although I think it would be sexy if the bond extended into death.

It should, since it's a spiritual bond, and not a physical one. But GS policy is that cool things or things that make sense are strictly forbidden.

Sam
05-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I actually just recently had my +17 bonded claidhmore disarmed while sprinting through the labyrinth... Didn't realize until I was back on the Plateau...

When I went back in and found the warrior who took it, I assumed it was too late for it to come back to me, and didn't want to risk a beatdown, so i had a backup weapon in my right hand..

I'm curious as to if it would have come back had my right hand been empty.

Fallen
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
It would be cool if the sword just flew back at the Paladin after death and stuck into them.

lordsmo
05-25-2010, 10:20 PM
So are you guys using your (presumably expensive) bonded weapon against creatures that regularly disarm and just hoping you don't die while the weapon's on the ground? Or are you using a cheaper backup in those areas?

My only experience with disarm was a while ago, before I had 1625. An arachne acolyte disarmed my 5x eonake mattock and immediately picked it up and ran away. I didn't carry a secondary weapon back then, so I had to chase him down weaponless and kill him with 1615.

Mogonis
05-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I hunt Nelemar with my primary weapon. I'm a warrior though. I don't know what it's like as a paladin. Being a Disarm master really helps. I hate undead, and I'm not in Voln, so I avoid the defenders. The combatants can only disarm me with a lucky open roll.

Sam
05-25-2010, 11:21 PM
So are you guys using your (presumably expensive) bonded weapon against creatures that regularly disarm and just hoping you don't die while the weapon's on the ground? Or are you using a cheaper backup in those areas?

I've never really thought twice about hunting with my expensive bonded weapon, though moving up and on to less frequented hunting grounds makes it a little scary. I've never been killed while disarmed... It's a really small window (like 5 seconds) before the weapon flies back to your hand.

In the rare even that I do get disarmed and killed in the future, I'm pretty confident that I could call in some emergency support from friends to get my stuff back.

Anebriated
05-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I lost my bonded lance a few weeks back running back to town after a critter cursed me.

TheLastShamurai
05-25-2010, 11:34 PM
My weapon is nice, but can be replicated, so I don't worry about it.

Back
05-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I use a perfect 4x handaxe so yeah it can be replaced for around 2m. Not bad really.

Geshron
05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
It should, since it's a spiritual bond, and not a physical one. But GS policy is that cool things or things that make sense are strictly forbidden.

haha, so very right you are

LizardClan1
05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I bonded to a 4x superior maul (not perfect), so I'm not worried about losing it. ::knocks on wood:: I like that my bonded weapon doesn't have "superior" (or any of its variants) in its name.

Sylvan Dreams
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM

I hunt with my expensive bonded weapon, and I don't worry about losing it. When I am not using my bonded weapon, I'm using another high quality weapon, and honestly, I don't worry about losing one of them either.

Most of the people are pretty good about returning weapons. There are a few exceptions, and when you start hunting those areas, you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

lordsmo
05-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Sounds good, thanks guys.