PDA

View Full Version : Ground Zero Mosque Set To Open On 9/11/11

Methais
05-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Mosque madness at Ground Zero

A mosque rises over Ground Zero. And fed-up New Yorkers are crying, "No!"

A chorus of critics -- from neighbors to those who lost loved ones on 9/11 to me -- feel as if they've received a swift kick in the teeth.

Plans are under way for a Muslim house of worship, topped by a 13-story cultural center with a swimming pool, in a building damaged by the fuselage of a jet flown by extremists into the World Trade Center.

The opening date shall live in infamy: Sept. 11, 2011. The 10th anniversary of the day a hole was punched in the city's heart.
AP

How the devil did this happen?

Plans to bring what one critic calls a "monster mosque" to the site of the old Burlington Coat Factory building, at a cost expected to top $100 million, moved along for months without a peep. All of a sudden, even members of the community board that stupidly green-lighted the mosque this month are tearing their hair out.

Paul Sipos, member of Community Board 1, said a mosque is a fine idea -- someplace else.

"If the Japanese decided to open a cultural center across from Pearl Harbor, that would be insensitive," Sipos told me. "If the Germans opened a Bach choral society across from Auschwitz, even after all these years, that would be an insensitive setting. I have absolutely nothing against Islam. I just think: Why there?"

Why, indeed.

A rally against the mosque is planned for June 6, D-Day, by the human-rights group Stop Islamicization of America. Executive director Pamela Geller said, "What could be more insulting and humiliating than a monster mosque in the shadow of the World Trade Center buildings that were brought down by an Islamic jihad attack? Any decent American, Muslim or otherwise, wouldn't dream of such an insult. It's a stab in the eye of America."

Called Cordoba House, the mosque and center is the brainchild of the American Society for Muslim Advancement. Executive director Daisy Khan insists it's staying put.

"For us, it's a symbol, a platform that will give voice to the silent majority of Muslims who suffer at the hands of extremists. A center will show that Muslims will be part of rebuilding lower Manhattan," said Khan, adding that Cordoba will be open to everyone.

"We were pleased to see that the community welcomed us as an asset to lower Manhattan," she added. "The community board approved it."

Not so fast.

The Financial District Committee of Community Board 1 seems to have gotten ensnared in a public-relations ploy by mosque-makers. At a May 5 meeting, the committee gave the project an enthusiastic thumbs-up. But boards have zero say over religious institutions.

Board chair Julie Menin, blind-sided by the move, predicts "this will be overturned by the full board" later this month.

But the damage is done.

Wounds that have yet to heal are now opening, as mosque opponents are branded, unfairly, as bigots.

"The worst tendency is the knee-jerk, emotional, angry, hateful response to acts of violence and war," said Donna Marsh O'Connor, who lost daughter Vanessa on 9/11 and supports the mosque. "I think it's racist tendencies."

Many more feel like Bill Doyle -- doubly maimed as he's forced to defend himself against charges of prejudice.
AP

"I'm not a bigot. What I'm frightful about is, it's almost going to be another protest zone. A meeting place for radicals," said Doyle, whose son, Joseph, was murdered on 9/11.

"It's a slap in our face!" said Nelly Braginsky, who lost son Alexander.

Unclear is how the mosque will raise the $100 million-plus it needs.

"We would be seeking funding from anyone who would help," Khan told me. "Seeking maybe some bonds or something like that." At the May 5 community board meeting, she displayed a sign with names like "Rockefeller Brothers Fund" and "Ford Foundation," which observers believed meant money is coming from those organizations. But Khan says those groups merely gave money in the past, and no funding is yet in place.

There are many questions about the Ground Zero mosque. But just one answer.

Move it away.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/mosque_madness_at_ground_zero_OQ34EB0MWS0lXuAnQau5 uL?sms_ss=facebook

Haven't heard of the opening on 9/11/11 part til today.

I'm sure the opening date is just a total coincidence though.

Back
05-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I also heard they were going to plaster the side of the building with a sign that says “PWND!!!11ONE!!!”

AnticorRifling
05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I didn't realize it was Muslims that were behind 9/11.....

Methais
05-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I also heard they were going to plaster the side of the building with a sign that says “PWND!!!11ONE!!!”

Nope, it's gonna be this:

http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/1255192911688.jpg

TheEschaton
05-17-2010, 03:00 PM
When you're posting the same thing as ClydeR, you know you fail, Methais.

RichardCranium
05-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I think this is just an update to say that it's supposed to be opened on 9/11.

Methais
05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
When you're posting the same thing as ClydeR, you know you fail, Methais.

I think this is just an update to say that it's supposed to be opened on 9/11.

^

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/9/26/128669369425327629.jpg

TheEschaton
05-17-2010, 03:41 PM
So you couldn't post that in the other thread about this exact topic?

RichardCranium
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
In regards to the mosque opening on 9/11 it is clearly either a tribute, a coincidence, or both.

Methais
05-17-2010, 04:00 PM
So you couldn't post that in the other thread about this exact topic?

Dear sir,

I wish to extend my deepest and most sincere apologies for causing such an overwhelming inconvenience in your busy daily schedule, as I'm aware that you're such an important person.

The fact that I so carelessly posted something without first searching the forums to verify that it hadn't been posted yet is a clear act of selfishness on my part, as I was not considering the consequences that would take place as a result of you clicking on a new thread instead of an existing thread. I was clearly only thinking of myself, and not your busy important schedule. Once again, I tremendously apologize.

However, in such a catastrophic case of inconvenience such as this, a simple apology is just not enough. That is why I have arranged an all expense paid romantic weekend getaway to the Bahamas for you and your mother. I do hope this helps to ease the insufferable pain you've experienced on this Internet message board today as a result of my gross carelessness, but due to the scale of what has taken place, I will completely understand if you are unable to find it in your bleeding heart to forgive me.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-17-2010, 04:08 PM
I don't take issue with the mosque existing so close to ground zero, at all. But, even if the date is just a coincidence, I don't think it's appropriate at all regardless.

Latrinsorm
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Why on 9/11? Executive director Khan:

"For us, it's a symbol, a platform that will give voice to the silent majority of Muslims who suffer at the hands of extremists. A center will show that Muslims will be part of rebuilding lower Manhattan," said Khan, adding that Cordoba will be open to everyone.

All you had to was ask! :)

AnticorRifling
05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Makes sense to me 9/11 the day being brown became a crime. We all know that only white people died and or suffered as a result of the bombing. Much like the black population's stance on the N word (You can't use that word that's our word) we white folk say "You can't use 9/11 that's our date".

On a related note Mt Dew for breakfast. Fuck yeah.

Parkbandit
05-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I don't take issue with the mosque existing so close to ground zero, at all. But, even if the date is just a coincidence, I don't think it's appropriate at all regardless.

Same.

And it's not a coincidence.. it was purposely selected. It's not like someone would point it out and they would say "Oh yea, I forgot that happened on that date..."

AnticorRifling
05-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Would you be cool with a church of another religion opening on the same day as homage to the fallen? Or is it just Muslims that get the no no for such an act?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-18-2010, 11:21 AM
There is a lot of pent up emotion still regarding 9/11 - I know I still have issues about it. That said I don't think any place of worship, be it Catholic, Baptist, Muslim, etc is an insult. If every Muslim felt the same as the terrorists, well we'd be in deep shit considering there are 1.5 BILLION of them according to wiki.

If said place of worship was to celebrate 9/11 as a victory against the infidels, that's another thing - but this isn't the case.

In the infamous words of Rodney King, "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out."

Asha
05-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Why do they have to build a fucking 100million dollar mosque? Why don't they settle for a meek, humble little one, like a gesture of peace.

Not an all enveloping, monster mosque which reeks of evangelism.

How many 100 million dollar churches are there?
I don't like it.

Sean
05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm just curious are we pretending like no muslim americans died in the 9-11 attacks?

AnticorRifling
05-18-2010, 12:16 PM
What is this we stuff racist?

RichardCranium
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm just curious are we pretending like no muslim americans died in the 9-11 attacks?

What's a muslim american? That's an oxymoron.

Cephalopod
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
American Muslin.
http://www.pelennapatchworks.co.uk/ekmps/shops/pelenna/images/108-white-american-muslin-calico-per-1-2-metre--499-p.jpg

Asha
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
What's a muslim american? That's an oxymoron.

Needs italics or someone might think that's a serious comment. :)

RichardCranium
05-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Needs italics or someone might think that's a serious comment. :)

That's half the fun.

TheEschaton
05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I met an Iranian girl the other night, if she's Muslim American I'm all about it.

AnticorRifling
05-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I met an Iranian girl the other night, if she's Muslim American I'm all about it.

See if she's down for some burkakake(tm).

Atlanteax
05-18-2010, 12:44 PM
It'll get burnt down, or construction materials will "mysteriously disappear" ... problem solved. =/

Asha
05-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Anticor's on fire with the spunky quips today!

RichardCranium
05-18-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0I6TlPSH20

TheEschaton
05-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Why the FUCK would I blow up Chik-fil-A? That shit is delicious!

Asha
05-18-2010, 01:44 PM
rofl
My dick is BROWN you dumb mother fucker!

4a6c1
05-18-2010, 02:11 PM

I was going to post in this thread and then I had an epiphany. Here I will share so you dont waste any more of your precious posting time either.

We. Will. Not. Be. Allowed. To. Go. Inside.

Muslim. Mosque. Allergic. To. Whorish. American. Females.

or

wwnbatgi mmatwaf

RichardCranium
05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
I was going to post in this thread and then I had an epiphany. Here I will share so you dont waste any more of your precious posting time either.

or

wwnbatgi mmatwaf

You can come in my mosque anytime.

Cephalopod
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hJJDS.jpg

4a6c1
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
You can come in my mosque anytime.

I will too. Goatse style. Turn it inside out and spin it right round. Right round like a record. Right round.

lolwtf Nachos

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-18-2010, 02:39 PM

or

wwnbatgi mmatwaf
Let's sneak in like Ninjas!

RichardCranium
05-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Let's sneak in like Ninjas!

Bleh, I don't want to play anymore. I shouldn't have looked up 1priest1nun earlier.

ElvenFury
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Bleh, I don't want to play anymore. I shouldn't have looked up 1priest1nun earlier.
PWNED!

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Don't look up 1Pope12Choirboys then.

AnticorRifling
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm afraid...and yet I probably will have to look up 1priest1nun damnit. The pope one PB sends me weekly I refuse to open it.

Cephalopod
05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm afraid...and yet I probably will have to look up 1priest1nun damnit. The pope one PB sends me weekly I refuse to open it.

You'll be disappointed. I looked it up. It's not a real priest or a real nun.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Would you be cool with a church of another religion opening on the same day as homage to the fallen? Or is it just Muslims that get the no no for such an act?

I guess I should rephrase.

Personally, my mind doesn't really go straight to 'omg they're evil!' BUT, I meant on a PR level they have to know how it will look to some people. Even with the best intentions people can and will interpret it to be something sinister and that ultimately is hurting the cause of trying to foster relations. So when I say I don't think it's a good idea/appropriate, that's why. Even though I think their intent is awesome and pretty noble (to extend the olive branch/try to breach some gaps) the reality is I think it'll do more harm than good.

Latrinsorm
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
I guess I should rephrase.

Personally, my mind doesn't really go straight to 'omg they're evil!' BUT, I meant on a PR level they have to know how it will look to some people. Even with the best intentions people can and will interpret it to be something sinister and that ultimately is hurting the cause of trying to foster relations. So when I say I don't think it's a good idea/appropriate, that's why. Even though I think their intent is awesome and pretty noble (to extend the olive branch/try to breach some gaps) the reality is I think it'll do more harm than good.If you will, suppose I am a Muslim. What would you recommend I do about the bolded people, if not engage them about their ridiculous and dangerous views?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
If you will, suppose I am a Muslim. What would you recommend I do about the bolded people, if not engage them about their ridiculous and dangerous views?

I think they should be engaged about their views, but I would recommend you choose a time and a place that is a lot harder to twist and misinterpret to mean something bad. One step at a time, and all that.

Cephalopod
05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Like when they had those pro-gun and anti-government rallies on the anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing...

Drew
05-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Like when they had those pro-gun and anti-government rallies on the anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing...

Yes that was in bad taste too. So your argument is that someone else already did something in bad taste so it is fine to do it in the future?

Parkbandit
05-18-2010, 03:51 PM
If you will, suppose I am a Muslim. What would you recommend I do about the bolded people, if not engage them about their ridiculous and dangerous views?

I think you should put on a fake black beard and mustache, put on a white and black keffiyeh and long white robes... make a fake bomb vest with plenty of long red tubes with wires all over it.. then start running towards a bunch of cops in Alabama, screaming (in a man's voice) "Allahu Akbar!"

Cephalopod
05-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes that was in bad taste too. So your argument is that someone else already did something in bad taste so it is fine to do it in the future?

Huh? I wasn't making any particular argument.

I feel the gun rallies on April 19th were in bad taste. I recognize that dedicating this mosque on the anniversary of 9/11 could be considered in bad taste, no matter what the intention. I have no issue with the mosque or its placement, and think it's ridiculous that anyone would. I do see how the date chosen could be considered inflammatory, and because of that I believe they should have picked a different date. While 'engaging people' about their dangerous views is helpful, you'd be silly not to realize this date could be a sore point and to plan around it, while using community outreach to help clarify people's thoughts on the matter.

Unless it's a fire house or police department opening on 9/11 in NYC, I'd consider the timing to be potentially inflammatory to someone.

Sean
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I think it's an incredibly smart date for them to choose to open.

Methais
05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
See if she's down for some burkakake(tm).

I couldn't find anything close to burka bukkake, so I offer this instead:

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0808/mens-freestyle-team-bukkake-olympic-humor-bukkake-sex-demotivational-poster-1219556325.jpg

AnticorRifling
05-19-2010, 08:20 AM
I couldn't find anything close to burka bukkake...

To all who shall see these presents, greetings: Know ye that on this the 18th day of May 2010 that Methais' google image search skills did fail him and he was demoted to the rank of n00b interweb user. This n00b will therefore carefully and diligently discharge the duties of the office to which appointed by doing and performing all manner of things thereunto belonging.

Parkbandit
05-19-2010, 08:44 AM
According to Google, the only reference to "burkakake" is the one you posted yesterday. You should so TM that... then everytime someone uses it, they have to cite YOU!!!

AnticorRifling
05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
My legacy I coined the phrase burkakake.