PDA

View Full Version : Rift steps

DoctorUnne
05-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Can anyone help me with some language for scripting the way to the rift? Specifically the part that has me stumped is the room in the shrine with four identical staircases:

[Stairs of Ice]
The stairs grow more pitched and hazardous with each step. To each side, sheer walls rise up toward the arched ceiling, their surfaces covered with archaic sigils punctuated with pictographs. Many of these portray drakes, in a multitude of postures. You also see a flight of descending steps curving along the western wall, a flight of ascending steps leading straight through the northern wall, a flight of descending steps curving along the eastern wall and a flight of descending steps leading straight through the southern wall.
Obvious exits: none

As far as I know there's no description that specifically picks out the steps leading through the northern wall. You can do first steps, second steps etc. but the problem is Stormfront randomly rearranges the order of the steps so the northern wall ones don't always appear in the same spot in the order. It used to be either first or last in the order, so I added language to my script to make it work regardless. However, now for the first time after months those steps are showing up second in the order and again my script doesn't work. I'm sure I could figure out another complex workaround but I was hoping someone better than me at scripting could think of a simple way to get this right.

Thanks in advance.

Archigeek
05-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I noticed this change too. While I don't do the travel with a script, I was surprised to note that it had changed from either first or last to be the second. So far, since the change it has always been the second, so maybe you're lucky, but I'd wager it just somehow became more randomized than it was. Note that years ago the step order never changed. I don't know anything about scripting, but there must be something in the room where the pool is that you can key in on, and if nothing else you could write the script to go first/second/third/fourth step.... until it keys in on the right room description. Good luck.

SanGreal
05-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I assume since ;go2 already handles this that this is a SF script and you're not open to using a lich script? If you are, I could help but I don't know anything about SF scripting

Tillmen
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
The northern steps always leads to the same room. Likewise, the eastern/southern/western steps always lead to the same room. The problem is you can't address the steps with "northern steps". However, if the northern steps are the ones you want, and they appear third in the room description, "climb third steps" will work. That's how Lich does it. It checks the room description when it gets there, and figures out what to do. I'm sure you could set up some matches, do a look, and climb the correct steps. If you want a script to get you from the birthing sands to the Scatter and back... just use Lich. I don't think Stormfront is cut out for that.

DoctorUnne
05-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah unfortunately I don't have lich and don't really have the time to learn it. That's exactly what I'm looking for though, the matching, do a look and climb the correct steps. I just don't know how to do it in Stormfront. Hopefully Kerl you're right and if it stays like this it's an easy fix obviously.

The rest of my script works fine, it's just this part.

Flessen
05-05-2010, 10:11 AM
You don't have to learn how to code with lich. There are many scripts you can use right off the bat. Lich has ;go2 which is a script that can take you from one end of the game to the other. It is very smart.

DoctorUnne
05-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I meant I don't have the time to learn how to download, install and use lich. Unless someone tells me in takes 5 minutes or something.

Still looking for an answer to this if someone would be so kind. The right stairs are now third in the order so I definitely need some different language.

Mogonis
05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
You download Ruby and Lich. You install Ruby. You unzip the Lich folder and place it in My Documents. Double-click Lich.rbw. Sign in to Gemstone.

DoctorUnne
05-09-2010, 11:19 PM
And how long does using it take to learn?

100K if someone can give me some script language for stormfront that gets through this room.

Silvanostar
05-09-2010, 11:26 PM
using lich is pretty easy. learning ruby depends on you i guess

phantasm
05-09-2010, 11:31 PM
No, you should download ruby and lich and spend 2 months learning the scripting language, then you won't have to worry about spending 5 seconds reading the room description.

DoctorUnne
05-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Got one, thanks