PDA

View Full Version : Computer Audio cable question

Fallen
05-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a set of M-Audio AV 40 speakers. While reading the reviews I noted that some people mentioned using USB cables to hook up the speakers. I did a (very) small amount of digging, and didn't see anything specific as to how this is done. Do you need a very high end sound card? I recently bought a pretty high end card and saw nothing about hooking up speakers via USB. The cables the computer came with are your standard Red/White into the speakers, with a single cable running into the sound card. What, if any upgrades are there in terms of cables and sound? This is my older computer, so the sound card isn't insanely new.

Edited: This computer has a Soundblaster Audigy card, though I don't even think it's working at the moment. I believe I am using a stock mobo SC (C-Media Wave Device)

Sean of the Thread
05-02-2010, 12:09 PM
This will tell you what you're using to begin with since you only "believe" your running the mobo sc.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Celephais
05-02-2010, 12:12 PM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/86/02/7b3c619009a0ad6468e35110.L.jpg
From the look of it, it doesn't seem like you really have another option with these speakers. Especially since the left talking to the right is via standard speaker wire.

I wouldn't worry about it, wherever you saw someone saying they were hooking it up via USB, they were probably talking about a different model.

radamanthys
05-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Those are closer to a near-field monitor than the type of bookshelf speaker that you're used to. You'll want to be close to really enjoy them. As computer speakers, they'll no doubt work well, though. You'll have to break them in a little before you really enjoy them.

Manual: http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/061110_AV40_UG_EN02.pdf

Cables you'll need for your setup? Stereo 1/8" to dual mono 1/4". OR stereo 1/8 to dual RCA. OR you can hookup 1/8 to 1/8 to the front aux input. The speakers connect to each other with regular speaker wire using the clips.

Fallen
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
After much fiddling I was able to get the Audigy Sound card working again. I took your advice, rada, and moved them much closer to me as well. They seem to be working much better now. I am a bit apprehensive in using a sound matrix to alter their playback (like an equalizer). Whenever I mess with SB's software, that is when my computer asplodes.

radamanthys
05-02-2010, 02:05 PM
After much fiddling I was able to get the Audigy Sound card working again. I took your advice, rada, and moved them much closer to me as well. They seem to be working much better now. I am a bit apprehensive in using a sound matrix to alter their playback (like an equalizer). Whenever I mess with SB's software, that is when my computer asplodes.

Creative's drivers are notoriously bad. I've had a hojillion problems with SBs over the years.

Whoever told you to connect with USB was functionally retarded.

kookiegod
05-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Speaking of speakers, my center channel speaker on a Dell set I got one computer ago seems to be fritzing. Any ideas if I can repair/replace it?

And if not, whats a good brand of 5.1 speakers, got the audology extreme gamer card in my new rig.

~Paul

radamanthys
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Speaking of speakers, my center channel speaker on a Dell set I got one computer ago seems to be fritzing. Any ideas if I can repair/replace it?

And if not, whats a good brand of 5.1 speakers, got the audology extreme gamer card in my new rig.

~Paul

Sure it's the speaker and not some other issue? Try plugging the center into one of the other ports- that should tell you. Sometimes it's just drivers or obscure settings.

As to 5.1s, I love my logitech z5500s. I haven't shopped for 5.1s in forever, but it seems these are still highly regarded.

yesicj
05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Ditto on the 5500s. They're a little old, but they're still phenomenal. And Logitech's support on them is incredible. I had one of the original sets (cables were hardwired) and the sound kept cutting out on the center channel. I called them, the rep asked if I'd tried connecting the speakers to other sources (I had), then asked me for my address to send a replacement. I asked how to send mine back and he said not to bother. For an entire year, I was the only kid I knew in college who basically had 5.1 surround in his living room and bedroom (I kept the fritzy ones in there).

I ended up giving the hardwired ones away when I moved and kept the new ones, which you can connect with standard speaker wire. The ones they come with are good, but I used my own because I needed longer ones (and the ones they come with are plenty long) at my new place. Right now, I connect my Xbox and PS3 to it via Optical, so I can watch and play stuff in Dolby Digital or DTS, depending on the media. They're also THX certified, to the extent that means anything to you. Caveat: the sub can really bring the boom. I haven't had it at the default setting since I moved in. Bitchy neighbors say I keep it lower than that, and even then it gives the apartment a good rumble.

TL;DR version: I'd highly recommend them though, inexplicably, they cost more now than they did when I bought mine. Great bang for your buck regardless.

radamanthys
05-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Ditto on the 5500s. They're a little old, but they're still phenomenal. And Logitech's support on them is incredible. I had one of the original sets (cables were hardwired) and the sound kept cutting out on the center channel. I called them, the rep asked if I'd tried connecting the speakers to other sources (I had), then asked me for my address to send a replacement. I asked how to send mine back and he said not to bother. For an entire year, I was the only kid I knew in college who basically had 5.1 surround in his living room and bedroom (I kept the fritzy ones in there).

I ended up giving the hardwired ones away when I moved and kept the new ones, which you can connect with standard speaker wire. The ones they come with are good, but I used my own because I needed longer ones (and the ones they come with are plenty long) at my new place. Right now, I connect my Xbox and PS3 to it via Optical, so I can watch and play stuff in Dolby Digital or DTS, depending on the media. They're also THX certified, to the extent that means anything to you. Caveat: the sub can really bring the boom. I haven't had it at the default setting since I moved in. Bitchy neighbors say I keep it lower than that, and even then it gives the apartment a good rumble.

TL;DR version: I'd highly recommend them though, inexplicably, they cost more now than they did when I bought mine. Great bang for your buck regardless.

Haha, yea- they do cost more now. I have the hardwired ones, as well- didn't even realize they had another version out.

kookiegod
05-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Sure it's the speaker and not some other issue? Try plugging the center into one of the other ports- that should tell you. Sometimes it's just drivers or obscure settings.

As to 5.1s, I love my logitech z5500s. I haven't shopped for 5.1s in forever, but it seems these are still highly regarded.

Good idea. I took everything out, cleaned all the connections, downloaded the latest patches and set everything to factory and i got it working right.

Somehow, my center channel was coming out as left rear and the left rear came out the bass, as well as the bass.

Sounds like a million bucks now, even though I still gotta play with all the settings to make it perfect for the room

~Paul

radamanthys
05-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Good idea. I took everything out, cleaned all the connections, downloaded the latest patches and set everything to factory and i got it working right.

Somehow, my center channel was coming out as left rear and the left rear came out the bass, as well as the bass.

Sounds like a million bucks now, even though I still gotta play with all the settings to make it perfect for the room

~Paul

Good show, glad to be of help.