PDA

View Full Version : Official: Relieve Burden (314)

Elvenlady
04-27-2010, 07:07 PM
The recent campaign by the Cleric Guild to collect alms has been a success, but many Theologians and other clergy have reported the tremendous burden that is placed upon them for carrying such large amounts of silver. It hampers their daily tasks and makes travel more difficult. To remedy the situation, the Cleric Guild has researched a method to reduce the encumbrance of silver through the aid of magic. All clerics may now cast Relieve Burden (314). And while the overall goal for the necessary funds to pay for the Chronomage service tomorrow is near, clerics are still encouraged to continue collecting alms until then.

314 - Relieve Burden [RELIEVE]
Duration: 900 seconds + 30 seconds for every Cleric spell rank known; cumulative
Type: Utility

Clerics often collect offerings of alms for the poor. This spell will negate the encumbrance associated with loose silvers (not in boxes, just what the target carries in his or her pockets). The number of silvers that can be held without burden is 10,000 silvers + 2000 * Seed 5 ranks in Spiritual Lore - Blessings. Only silvers in excess of the spell's ability will apply to encumbrance. For example, if a cleric can negate 12000 silvers and is carrying 14000 silvers, only 2000 apply to encumbrance.

With the increased bonus, the mana cost increases. The base is 14 mana, + 1 for every 4000 silvers negated beyond the base amount.

When cast upon others, the duration is 2 minutes and the target is relieved of only the base 10,000 silvers burden.

Relieve Burden will replace Interdiction (314) in the Cleric base spell list. Interdiction has been moved to the creature-only spell list. Credit to former GameMaster Warden for the design and to GameMaster Oscuro for the coding.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

StrayRogue
04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
How...underwhelming.

Nilandia
04-27-2010, 07:15 PM
It's actually quite nice to have on in the Rift with climbing threads. I know I need to leave a bunch of coins behind on almost every hunt.

Now I just need to find a cleric to hunt with.

Gretchen

StrayRogue
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I'd rather have phase/disk.

nub
04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I'd rather have phase/disk.

But isn't that like saying I'd rather have guards than brights? Or is this not able to go with phase and disk.

StrayRogue
04-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Okay I'll be more clear. For a level 14 cleric spell this is decidedly dull, weak, and underpowered.

Bobmuhthol
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Carrying silver is super inefficient in terms of value per pound so it's pretty cool to have.

nub
04-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Okay I'll be more clear. For a level 14 cleric spell this is decidedly dull, weak, and underpowered.

Meh whatever, what was there before? I know I never used 314, and if everyone says its underwhelming, then maybe something good will come about.

Plus people will be looking for clerics to cast that on them, I know my rogue will have it on him at all times, unless he's in a spell burst area of course. Then again, I reactivated my account and only got on 2 times for the free gift box so maybe I won't have it on.

Kitsun
04-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Well I've already used Relieve Burden more than I ever used Interdiction. This is a win in my book.

B2
04-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Plus people will be looking for clerics to cast that on them, I know my rogue will have it on him at all times, unless he's in a spell burst area of course.

Good luck, with the 2 minute duration when the spell is cast on others.

nub
04-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Good luck, with the 2 minute duration when the spell is cast on others.

That's what I get for reading!

nub
04-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Official: Relieve... 04-27-2010 07:55 PM So you're going to ask a cleric to cast it on you EVERY TWO MINUTES? Wow, you must really think it's great! Retard.

What got your feelings so hurt?

Swami71
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Works well for me. My sorcerer holds the boxes and my cleric holds the coin. Self cast is over 20 minutes.

Fallen
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Can someone ask if it will be available on scrolls and magical items?

Lumi
04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
As an outside observer, I have to say I'm underwhelmed in a big way. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a more vocal backlash.

I guess when you compare it to Interdiction, it's an improvement, but I think if 314 had been a blank slot and this was what was come up with, there'd be a lot more unhappy clerical feedback.

Skeeter
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
It's not monks, but at least it's useful.

B2
04-27-2010, 10:22 PM
>>Can Relieve Burden be found on scrolls or magic items?

Yes. And all those Interdiction scrolls you were hoarding before have switched over.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Rogue Team
Cleric/Empath Team

Fallen
04-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Sweet.

Alarke
04-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Pretty sad little spell for 14th level main sphere... I'd expect all encumberance reduced at least a minimal amount.

Archigeek
04-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I actually think it's pretty great, but again that's coming from the rift perspective. You can get out of the rift with 10k in coins and a Eye-of-Koar emerald, and almost no one picks up coins in there, so you find them laying everywhere. Heck, on the sands there are fairly often piles of coins because no one wants to carry coins in there due to encumberance and that you can't otherwise leave with 10k anyway. Koar takes a tribute if you try.

Mathari
04-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Just to go head and say it, we realize this isn't the most useful spell. It will be situational. But we do believe it's better than the previous Interdiction.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Heh.

Fallen
04-27-2010, 11:20 PM
I think it is a fucking awesome spell, but that's coming from a scroll infusion standpoint. If I WAS a cleric, I might be pissed, but what I would do is try to keep access to the spell in other ways. Clerics should be asking for the creation of a new magical item which contains the spell, and uses Clerical CS. That way, you can keep access to the spell in CvC, which seems to be its main use, AND have this spell. Or, have it be an alchemy recipe. Bottom line, if you can make it so you have access to Interdiction in any way, shape, or form, this is a net gain. Get to work, guys.

Davenshire
04-27-2010, 11:22 PM
The spell kicks a lot of ass. How many times has encumberence kicked your ass through getting maneuvered, using maneuvers, etc... You can't even quantify how kick ass this spell is because you never see all the behind the scenes rolls for manuever penalties etc from carrying to much crap.

That is a LOT of silver. it kicks ass in the rift, and anywhere else. Gnomes and halflings rejoice, and heck giants, you get to carry all yer crap, and a ton more silver. I don't think any of us expected even this, and it is SO much more useful then interdiction.

Are any of you naysayers not going to use this spell? When was the last time you used interdiction? heck I have used meteor storm on my mage more then I have ever used interdiction!

BigWorm
04-27-2010, 11:28 PM
I think the main complaint is that it is in the 14th level spot instead of like the 5th. However, I know Oscuro and Estild have talked about moving some cleric spells around. I thought it was mostly higher level spells (e.g. 319), but maybe they could find a way to move this down. Looking at the 300 list, I don't really see how they could swap it with anything lower than 307 (Benediction).

Fallen
04-27-2010, 11:32 PM
10,000 silvers + 2000 * Seed 5 ranks in Spiritual Lore - Blessings.

So...

At 56 Blessings ranks you have a 7 bonus, which is 24,000 silver negation (roughly .5x)
At 99 Blessings ranks you would have a 11 bonus, which is 32,000 silver negation (roughly 1x)
At 161 Blessing ranks you would have a 14 bonus, which is 38,000 silver negation (roughly 1.5x)
At 200 Blessing ranks you would have a 16 bonus, which is 42,000 silver negation (Roughly 2x)
At 244 Blessing ranks you would have a 18 bonus, which is 46,000 silver negation (Max enhancive seed obtainable)

Davenshire
04-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Forest gnome, weak as spit....

>enc
You adjust your gear comfortably and feel satisfied that you are not encumbered enough to notice.
>withdraw 15000 silver
The teller carefully records the transaction, and then hands you 15000 silvers.
>out
>enc
It is difficult to move quickly at all, and your legs are strained with the effort of carrying all that stuff. You can probably manage to trudge around town, but hunting would be treacherous.
>incant 314
You raise your hand while murmuring a soft orison, focusing on the Relieve Burden spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
A glittering golden collection bowl materializes above you. It slowly tips upside down, causing a shower of silver sparks to rain down upon your body, then vanishes.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>enc
You adjust your gear comfortably and feel satisfied that you are not encumbered enough to notice.

NICE!

can you imagine finding this on scrolls/ alchemy recipes?

Fallen
04-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Bottom line is, with any Blessing lore, you're basically immune from encumbrance due to picking up silver. Who picks up more than 10k coins in a hunt other than a large MA group? So in exchange for your 14th level spell slot, you can now completely negate the penalty from picking up coins during a hunt.

I think that's ..unworthy of a 14th level profession circle slot, but you could do much worse.

Davenshire
04-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Forest gnome, weak as spit....
Strength (STR): 90 (10) ... 90 (10)
Constitution (CON): 87 (28) ... 87 (28)
You carefully examine your physique and figure you weigh about 132 pounds.

>enc
>withdraw 15000 silver
The teller carefully records the transaction, and then hands you 15000 silvers.
>out
>enc
It is difficult to move quickly at all, and your legs are strained with the effort of carrying all that stuff. You can probably manage to trudge around town, but hunting would be treacherous.
>incant 314
You raise your hand while murmuring a soft orison, focusing on the Relieve Burden spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
A glittering golden collection bowl materializes above you. It slowly tips upside down, causing a shower of silver sparks to rain down upon your body, then vanishes.
>enc

NICE!

can you imagine finding this on scrolls/ alchemy recipes?

Fallen
04-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Don't you guys feel this belongs more as an Arcane circle spell rather than a Cleric circle spell?

Fallen
04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
>>I think 314 should have replaced 309 instead, since there's already Remove Curse.

Good thought. That's the other mid-level spell that we're not very happy with in the 300s circle (the first one, of course, being Interdiction). However, since Relieve Burden is a pre-combat buff spell, the level (and, thus, mana cost) we give it is relatively arbitrary. We'd prefer to save the 9 mana spell slot for a combat spell if we ever choose to add one in the mid-levels.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Rogue Team
Cleric/Empath Team

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=25&topic=26&message=9091

Lumi
04-28-2010, 12:05 AM
That is a LOT of silver. it kicks ass in the rift, and anywhere else. Gnomes and halflings rejoice, and heck giants, you get to carry all yer crap, and a ton more silver. I don't think any of us expected even this, and it is SO much more useful then interdiction.

How often do you end up FINDING that much silver during the course of a hunt?

I think that's ..unworthy of a 14th level profession circle slot, but you could do much worse.

I agree more with the first half of this statement than the second, honestly.

Fallen
04-28-2010, 12:07 AM
How often do you end up FINDING that much silver during the course of a hunt?

I regularly find 4-6k on my hunts.

Mathari
04-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Turns out the spell is way more awesome than anyone might have originally thought. Someone in-game just discovered that it's buggy in a way that has allowed him or her to get 30408 mana.

Alarke
04-28-2010, 12:35 AM
That was fixed already....

Mathari
04-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Well, not at the time of my post. But yeah, it's fixed now.

Danical
04-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Turns out the spell is way more awesome than anyone might have originally thought. Someone in-game just discovered that it's buggy in a way that has allowed him or her to get 30408 mana.

It's been fixed already :(

Danical
04-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Also, anyone that plays a totally fucking retarded race like . . . say . . . fuckface gnomes - this spell would be insanely helpful when picking up over 8 silver puts you in the 'light' encumbrance level and every 12 silver beyond that will raise it to the next level.

Asrial
04-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Turns out the spell is way more awesome than anyone might have originally thought. Someone in-game just discovered that it's buggy in a way that has allowed him or her to get 30408 mana.Was it posted and if so do you have a link to it?

If not.. do you know how the bug was achieved?

Asha
04-28-2010, 06:20 AM
How does the eye of koar emerald help getting back to the sands with silvers?

Liberi Fatali
04-28-2010, 08:16 AM
How does the eye of koar emerald help getting back to the sands with silvers?

To use it, you MUST have at LEAST 10,000 silver coins ON YOU. Then you simply RAISE it while you're in the Rift and you get transported, as observed here:

>[The Rift]
Purple blood flows over the floor, making footing hazardous and slick. As it moves to the south, it slowly turns red, brought to life by the breeze flowing through. The walls squeeze in and out, forcing the blood to move south and east. The floor ripples beneath your feet as worms burrow through, tooth-filled maws breaking the surface violently then diving back below. You also see a scratched silver chest, the Jenovadeath disk and the blue Eiderfleur disk.
Also here: Eiderfleur
Obvious exits: northeast, southeast, west
>
weal
You have 10793 coins with you.
>
THA-THUMP.

>Eiderfleur fidgets.
>l
[The Rift]
Purple blood flows over the floor, making footing hazardous and slick. As it moves to the south, it slowly turns red, brought to life by the breeze flowing through. The walls squeeze in and out, forcing the blood to move south and east. The floor ripples beneath your feet as worms burrow through, tooth-filled maws breaking the surface violently then diving back below. You also see a scratched silver chest, the Jenovadeath disk and the blue Eiderfleur disk.
Obvious exits: northeast, southeast, west
>Eiderfleur picks up a scratched silver chest.
>A lost soul floats in!
>Eiderfleur laughs maniacally. Guess she really likes it here.
>
Eiderfleur exclaims, "'quick!"
>720 soul
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Implosion...
Your spell is ready.
>You gesture at a lost soul.
A void rips open in the area, directly above a lost soul!
Rather abrupt decompression causes a lost soul to explode!
Tiny soul particles disperse rapidly through the area!
Quite severely dead.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the lost soul's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
Everything in the room seemed to stay in place. The void disappears without further incident.
>raise my em
You close your eyes and concentrate as you raise your Eye-of-Koar emerald.
The emerald flickers brightly, and the natural navette shape of the gem makes it resemble the blinking eye of a great wyrm. Your skin begins to tingle as the eerie feeling of being watched steals over you.

You get the pleasant feeling that one of life's burdens has been lifted from you.

The surroundings ripple, tinted with a vibrant green light, and your vision begins to fade as you feel yourself being pulled away.
[Altar of the Elder]
The ledge is more generous than it appeared from the lower stone platform, which now looks extremely narrow and far below. The view from here of the monumental ice sculpture reveals its top to be as superbly detailed as its other aspects. Incongruously, a pool of clear, sapphire-colored water lies between the ledge and an immense statue of a sleeping drake, its recumbent body curled around a large throne on the pool's northern edge. You also see a flight of steps.
Obvious exits: up
The Eye-of-Koar emerald in your hand crumbles into fine, sparkling dust.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>Eiderfleur gasps.
>l
[Altar of the Elder]
The ledge is more generous than it appeared from the lower stone platform, which now looks extremely narrow and far below. The view from here of the monumental ice sculpture reveals its top to be as superbly detailed as its other aspects. Incongruously, a pool of clear, sapphire-colored water lies between the ledge and an immense statue of a sleeping drake, its recumbent body curled around a large throne on the pool's northern edge. You also see the blue Eiderfleur disk and a flight of steps.
Obvious exits: up

Others see:

Jenovadeath closes his eyes and furrows his brow as he raises his Eye-of-Koar emerald.
The emerald flickers brightly, and the natural navette shape of the gem makes it resemble the blinking eye of a great wyrm. Your skin begins to tingle as the eerie feeling of being watched steals over you.

The only drawback to this fog is that it TAKES 10,000 silvers away from you. Not too much of a loss, considering you can't exit the Rift with that much anyway. Only the person raising the emerald needs the 10k, the group members do not.

It has one other use -- and this one can be used OUTSIDE the Rift (unlike the fogging feature, which is just limited to inside the Rift). If you have 20,000 silvers or more on you and you RAISE it, you'll receive a deed. This is true for every member in your group that has 20,000 silvers or more on them as well. This is also true in the fogging scenario -- if you raise the emerald with 20k + you will fog AND receive a deed. 20k for a deed is rather costly, but again, if you're in the Rift coins are just a waste anyway.

Fallen
04-28-2010, 08:18 AM
I didn't know about the deed part. Nice work around, really.

Latrinsorm
04-28-2010, 02:58 PM
For reference, 46,000 coins weigh 287.5 pounds.

nub
04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by GM Oscuro

>>I think 314 should have replaced 309 instead, since there's already Remove Curse.

Good thought. That's the other mid-level spell that we're not very happy with in the 300s circle (the first one, of course, being Interdiction). However, since Relieve Burden is a pre-combat buff spell, the level (and, thus, mana cost) we give it is relatively arbitrary. We'd prefer to save the 9 mana spell slot for a combat spell if we ever choose to add one in the mid-levels.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Rogue Team
Cleric/Empath Team

I like that explanation.

Methais
04-29-2010, 03:41 PM
It's actually quite nice to have on in the Rift with climbing threads. I know I need to leave a bunch of coins behind on almost every hunt.

Now I just need to find a cleric to hunt with.

Gretchen

What's the point of even carrying coins in the rift when anything over 10k gets taken when you leave?

Davenshire
04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
What's the point of even carrying coins in the rift when anything over 10k gets taken when you leave?

When you go back to the sands with over 10k you lose it, but don't you get full mana? Kind of a nice perk if you're in the middle of a hunt, can go back, get topped off, and then sphere back in.

BigWorm
04-29-2010, 04:52 PM
When you go back to the sands with over 10k you lose it, but don't you get full mana? Kind of a nice perk if you're in the middle of a hunt, can go back, get topped off, and then sphere back in.

But all your spells drop,so you'd have to use at least a chunk of that mana to respell.

droit
04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
But all your spells drop,so you'd have to use at least a chunk of that mana to respell.

Nah, that only happens on the swim in. If you just leave the rift to the sands and go back in, your spells will all remain. The 10k coins for full mana is actually a nice use of the new spell for clerical rift hunters.

BigWorm
04-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Nah, that only happens on the swim in. If you just leave the rift to the sands and go back in, your spells will all remain. The 10k coins for full mana is actually a nice use of the new spell for clerical rift hunters.

Oh, I was thinking you lost coins on the way out, not when you just went back to the sands. Shows how often I have 10k in coins when I'm in the Rift.

Methais
04-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Relieve Burden in Shattered:

>prep 314
You do whatever as you prepare the Relieve Burden spell.

>cast
You gesture.
You find the nearest tree, drop your pants, and take the biggest dump in the history of Elanthia. You feel relieved.

Just imagine what Rapid Fire could do with this.

Danical
04-29-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm almost tempted to do the act except I might get another warning for my "/raging erection" comment on the officials.

Just thought I'd see how long that'd stay up there before being pulled.