PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral Weddings

ElanthianSiren
03-28-2004, 02:35 PM
Today, I was designing wedding items for two sets of my character's friends who decided that they were going to splurge OOC and have a cathedral wedding. Designing items led me to SIMU's site on cathedral weddings, and I grew more and more interested as I went along. For your 1 million in game silvers and 180.00 USD, the features of a cathedral wedding include:

1). Pick from one of five special wedding theme areas: the Temple of Liabo, the Temple of Lornon, the Beach, the Ice Caverns, or the Forest Glade.

Allright, so being told WHERE you're going to marry isn't that horrible I suppose, but if I were to buy one, I really would like the Shrine of Ronan. I like the Ice Caves, but my character's first, non-cathedral wedding was there, and I'd hate to repeat the past....

The bride and groom will be given invitations for those they wish to invite. On the day of the wedding, magical portals will appear in The Landing, Icemule, and Teras Isle .... No more worrying about boat schedules or dangerous treks through the mountains!

I truly hope there's one from the Elven Nations, or this statement is fairly silly. In view of scripts for both levelling and smartscript travel, even the Icemule Trek is scantly dangerous anymore.

Waiting for the boat? Is it so difficult the night before to get on the boat? -And if you're having your wedding in an exclusive area like Teras, does it really bother your elitist self if a few people don't show? That withstanding, when the boat docks on Teras, you're in a safe area anyway. The elven nations is the only trek that I can really think of with much peril for adventurers, and it's not mentioned in the advertisement.

As an added bonus to this wedding package, the happy couple will gain the ability to use more intimate command messaging in some of the common commands such as HUG and LEAN. Over 20 commands will have special messaging that only couples choosing this type of wedding will be able to use.

Hello...act command. I know I stand the risk of flames here, but I love the act command. If SIMU is going to advertise special verbage... they should do SPECIAL verbage, designed by the couple. With the advent of demeanor's new verbage, this seems all the more pertinent to making that wedding worth 180.00 USD.

We will also create 18 items for the wedding party which could include clothing, flowers, and customized, "verbed" wedding rings.

You should send in the descriptions of the items you want made for your wedding within one week after signing up for your Cathedral wedding. Please send your list to gs4weddings@simutronics.com.

I work on another mud as the events coordinator (I won't say which one). Let me tell you... if you want 18 items with shows and longs, I can QC and turn them out for you in 20 minutes if you submit your own ideas like GS expects. ZZZZIP.

When you want 18 items with 10-15 scripted/verbed actions a piece, that's where I take time studying you and trying to fit them best to your general personality. That takes time (generally about an hour to an hour and a half per item), but I the scripts aren't personalized for the wedding rings either as per this statement from The Wedding Site:

The script doesn't change, it is the same for all couples.

Make sure to specify which two items will be pocketed -- Note: We don't make pocketed jewelry. Remember, only two pieces of jewelry OR two ceremonial items are allowed per couple (the wedding bands are not included here), so please, revise your list before sending it in.

Simu Wedding Items Guideline (https://www.play.net/gs4/weddings/theweddingsite/guideline.asp)

I pondered citing all my criticisms of how they will and will not alter for you for your wedding, but let me just say that it's somewhat sad. The person paid their 180.00 and their 1 million coins, so why not just let them have the metals that they want? Seems silly.

Last but not least, a specially trained member of our wedding team will be with you during the entire ceremony to add those special touches that only we can add.

What they mean here is to say that someone on staff is going to sit invisible (or visible maybe at your request) doing echo and echoe tos in the room.

Echo (this command) -- whole room sees whatever you wanted to happen.

A floppy-eared pink bunny bounces by while six wolves howl at the moon.

You get the point.

Echoto (player) -- singular player feels all warm and fuzzy by whatever message you just sent them.

So back to my original point. Why do we need cathedral weddings if the items are substandard to general alterations and the "personalized touch" of your wedding isn't really "personalized" by the same script that everyone else is getting? As far as I remember, before limitations were put on items/pocketting items/detailing metals etc, AND the price was raised, the wedding package was pretty cool. Come on Simu. Give me something I can sink my teeth into.

What would be very cool, would be if all wedding customers got to design a 3-5 room home for themselves (even if not premium).

Suffice to say, I won't be having a cathedral wedding, though I felt the idea was good at the onstart. I also don't want to make my friends who are paying for them feel like jackasses, but I honestly do feel that they're getting ripped off. Push the limits always especially when the limits are this pathetic. Sometimes to make progress, you need to point out the flaws in the current system.

-Melissa

Warriorbird
03-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Some people enjoy it. It'd have to be massively overhauled before I'd ever consider doing it.

Nakiro
03-28-2004, 08:12 PM
I'd rather eat my 180 dollars.

Yes, its retarded. Welcome to Simutronics.

Drew2
03-28-2004, 10:43 PM
I paid for a Cathedral wedding and never had it. I win.

Galleazzo
03-29-2004, 03:06 AM
Taylir paid for one too and had the guy jilt her big time a few weeks before.

It's JUST A FRIGGING GAME. 180 bucks is a lot of jack so that ... uh ... you can get altered stuff? Who doesn't have altered stuff? So that you can snog your sweetie? You can do that anyway. So that you can have a wedding with friends there? Grab a cleric, tell your friends. So that there's food at the reception? Big fucking deal, raid Hearthstone, raid your House bars.

Fuck that with a capital "F"

Caramia
03-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
Today, I was designing wedding items for two sets of my character's friends who decided that they were going to splurge OOC and have a cathedral wedding. Designing items led me to SIMU's site on cathedral weddings, and I grew more and more interested as I went along. For your 1 million in game silvers and 180.00 USD, the features of a cathedral wedding include:

1). Pick from one of five special wedding theme areas: the Temple of Liabo, the Temple of Lornon, the Beach, the Ice Caverns, or the Forest Glade.

Allright, so being told WHERE you're going to marry isn't that horrible I suppose, but if I were to buy one, I really would like the Shrine of Ronan. I like the Ice Caves, but my character's first, non-cathedral wedding was there, and I'd hate to repeat the past....

The ice cave is special for cathedral weddings only. It's impossible that you had a non-cathedral wedding there, since you need special tents to get there that only appear on the wedding day, and invitations to get into them.

The bride and groom will be given invitations for those they wish to invite. On the day of the wedding, magical portals will appear in The Landing, Icemule, and Teras Isle .... No more worrying about boat schedules or dangerous treks through the mountains!

I truly hope there's one from the Elven Nations, or this statement is fairly silly. In view of scripts for both levelling and smartscript travel, even the Icemule Trek is scantly dangerous anymore.

Waiting for the boat? Is it so difficult the night before to get on the boat? -And if you're having your wedding in an exclusive area like Teras, does it really bother your elitist self if a few people don't show? That withstanding, when the boat docks on Teras, you're in a safe area anyway. The elven nations is the only trek that I can really think of with much peril for adventurers, and it's not mentioned in the advertisement.

The Web site hasn't changed to update with GS4 apparently. There are wedding tents in EN, and there have been for almost a year or so now.

As an added bonus to this wedding package, the happy couple will gain the ability to use more intimate command messaging in some of the common commands such as HUG and LEAN. Over 20 commands will have special messaging that only couples choosing this type of wedding will be able to use.

Hello...act command. I know I stand the risk of flames here, but I love the act command. If SIMU is going to advertise special verbage... they should do SPECIAL verbage, designed by the couple. With the advent of demeanor's new verbage, this seems all the more pertinent to making that wedding worth 180.00 USD.

It is special verbage, unique to each married couple. You switch a flag to activate them. That seems to be something that is more global, not something that just gets "attached" to the individual character.

At the recent faire they auctioned and raffled for unique messaging for one verb. That indicates to me that making a unique message for 20 verbs takes a time and coding. Then there is testing, and QC. Do you think wedding stuff should be more important than bug fixes, system changes, or completing spell lists? Because they would need to dedicate staff to do nothing but weddings or it could be several months before your wedding was ready.

We will also create 18 items for the wedding party which could include clothing, flowers, and customized, "verbed" wedding rings.

You should send in the descriptions of the items you want made for your wedding within one week after signing up for your Cathedral wedding. Please send your list to gs4weddings@simutronics.com.

I work on another mud as the events coordinator (I won't say which one). Let me tell you... if you want 18 items with shows and longs, I can QC and turn them out for you in 20 minutes if you submit your own ideas like GS expects. ZZZZIP.

So you're fast. You probably don't have similar genre, guidelines, or procedures to follow, or a process that the staff has been told to use. Having helped a lot of people with their alteration ideas for weddings, too, just like you, I've seen my ideas get turned around in a week or less. I'm good and fast also, but I know how to work the guidelines to get what my friends want and make them unique to the couple isn't of repeating trite, cookie-cutter designs.

When you want 18 items with 10-15 scripted/verbed actions a piece, that's where I take time studying you and trying to fit them best to your general personality. That takes time (generally about an hour to an hour and a half per item), but I the scripts aren't personalized for the wedding rings either as per this statement from The Wedding Site:

The script doesn't change, it is the same for all couples.

They have people that spend time getting to know you and make suggestions, too. You can't really compare skill though. Well, you can try to, but you would be making an assumption, and we all know what that means. ::wink::

Make sure to specify which two items will be pocketed -- Note: We don't make pocketed jewelry. Remember, only two pieces of jewelry OR two ceremonial items are allowed per couple (the wedding bands are not included here), so please, revise your list before sending it in.

Simu Wedding Items Guideline (https://www.play.net/gs4/weddings/theweddingsite/guideline.asp)

I pondered citing all my criticisms of how they will and will not alter for you for your wedding, but let me just say that it's somewhat sad. The person paid their 180.00 and their 1 million coins, so why not just let them have the metals that they want? Seems silly.

Silly to you, but rules are often made because people abuse things. Some guidelines have to exist to keep people from just making off the wall requests to get what normal merchants turn down.

I know several people who have told me they just want to get married to get the alterations, and had horrid lists that looked like a shopping spree or an order form for 20 different people. That's fine, if that's what you're going to do, but then, don't bitch about it when you're using the wedding system to get silvers.

As I recall, you once posted here, saying you were quite excited about your upcoming wedding and all you needed to do was set the date! That means you'd been through the process and you were satisfied with your final list, since all my consulting couples told me they couldn't register for a date until their lists were done.

And if you already had one character get married in the ice caves, which means you had a cathedral plan wedding, then the one you posted about last year would have been your second cathedral wedding?

I had two friends decide to get married and they created identical items. That's what they wanted. They were plenty pleased about their 20 items that didn't need to glow, pulse, and have actions. Honestly, I think they wanted to sell them as a complete set, so they could get a higher price, because the didn't even look like wedding outfits. Some people want unique, some people don't. Don't blame Simu for a lack of creativity proposed by players.

Last but not least, a specially trained member of our wedding team will be with you during the entire ceremony to add those special touches that only we can add.

What they mean here is to say that someone on staff is going to sit invisible (or visible maybe at your request) doing echo and echoe tos in the room.

Echo (this command) -- whole room sees whatever you wanted to happen.

A floppy-eared pink bunny bounces by while six wolves howl at the moon.

You get the point.

Echoto (player) -- singular player feels all warm and fuzzy by whatever message you just sent them.

To each their own. I've liked the special effects I see at weddings! The Hosts seem to put time and effort into making them personal and special, and it doesn't look as cheesy as ACTS do, with the parenthesis.

So back to my original point. Why do we need cathedral weddings if the items are substandard to general alterations and the "personalized touch" of your wedding isn't really "personalized" by the same script that everyone else is getting? As far as I remember, before limitations were put on items/pocketting items/detailing metals etc, AND the price was raised, the wedding package was pretty cool. Come on Simu. Give me something I can sink my teeth into.

What would be very cool, would be if all wedding customers got to design a 3-5 room home for themselves (even if not premium).

Because people apparently want them and enjoy them. You've bragged you can do all the above in another forum in 20 minutes. I know Roberta used to gloat that she could also do this easily when she was a GM in Inferno. Well you know, Inferno was capped at 200 players last time I played, not thousands. It didn't need systems to run weddings, premium houses, or marriage-scripted verbs. There's the difference.

Suffice to say, I won't be having a cathedral wedding, though I felt the idea was good at the onstart. I also don't want to make my friends who are paying for them feel like jackasses, but I honestly do feel that they're getting ripped off. Push the limits always especially when the limits are this pathetic. Sometimes to make progress, you need to point out the flaws in the current system.

-Melissa

I guess that means you won't be having the wedding you said you were excited about after all, even though you'd already paid for it? At some point it seems you thought it was worth it. As for limits, what you're talking about in resource commitment for the staff would mean several GMs would need to be solely dedicated to weddings, some would need to know how to code, and then weddings would take months to get done, instead of weeks, creating a massive backlog of work. You have nice dreams but they're a tad unrealistic.

I met with the wedding person with a couple of my friends, and she was very nice, began with a B I think. She explained how everything worked and I asked her if weddings were her main thing. She also was in charge of the boards too. From what I can gather, Simu's GMs have one main thing they work on, but they're expected to work on other things to please the players too, like faires, invasions, quests, merchants.

Considering all that, I think the fact they offer special weddings at all is amazing. They could have just stuck with what GM Wolv used to do. Make you items and send you off to do your own thing. They didn't have to create cathedral weddings.

ElanthianSiren
03-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Caramia
[quote]The ice cave is special for cathedral weddings only. It's impossible that you had a non-cathedral wedding there, since you need special tents to get there that only appear on the wedding day, and invitations to get into them.

My mistake then. I thought they were referring to the ice shrine on the glacier in wehnimers. That is where Kiera's wedding was held, and no, it was not premium. We just had TONS of people there and it was well done with a bardess performing two songs, a hand-fasting, storytelling, and food afterward :)

[quote]It is special verbage, unique to each married couple. You switch a flag to activate them. That seems to be something that is more global, not something that just gets "attached" to the individual character.

Is it? From what my friends who have had the weddings have said the verbage is VERY similar to what you're afforded with the new demeanor scripted verbs for WARM. So and so leans softly I have seen in action. Tickles mischievously I have seen in action.

[quote]Do you think wedding stuff should be more important than bug fixes, system changes, or completing spell lists?

I think something that costs 180.00 should be done quickly and in a seamless fashion.

So you're fast. You probably don't have similar genre, guidelines, or procedures to follow, or a process that the staff has been told to use.

Game is set pre-1400s strictly. The altering guidelines are actually stricter than Gemstone's. You'd never get away with making corsets, however I am good and fast and as the head of interactions, it would be like working with the head of a department in GS I suppose. I just like working with my players on a one on one basis in general.

They have people that spend time getting to know you and make suggestions, too. You can't really compare skill though. Well, you can try to, but you would be making an assumption, and we all know what that means. ::wink::

I can because I have sat through the design processes of three weddings in GS the finished beyond item creation. My PC was the matron of honor in one (her daughter's wedding), I was forwarded all emails, and basically worked with the GS GMs (this first one was back when Wolv did weddings).

Silly to you, but rules are often made because people abuse things. Some guidelines have to exist to keep people from just making off the wall requests to get what normal merchants turn down.

So we should assume (wrongly) that every person who wants a wedding is out to abuse the system? I'd rather think that for that amount of money, staff would be willing to read through the requests and work on what was outrageous and allow the mundane instead of putting a cap on everything you could possibly use.

As I recall, you once posted here, saying you were quite excited about your upcoming wedding and all you needed to do was set the date! That means you'd been through the process and you were satisfied with your final list, since all my consulting couples told me they couldn't register for a date until their lists were done.

??? I think you have the wrong person. My PC has been married once -- in 1997 before GM weddings even were I believe.

And if you already had one character get married in the ice caves, which means you had a cathedral plan wedding, then the one you posted about last year would have been your second cathedral wedding?

see above.

Some people want unique, some people don't. Don't blame Simu for a lack of creativity proposed by players.

That was reference to the scripts and the fact that every wedding couple's scripts are exactly the same with regard to what other player's see. But maybe you're right. Maybe people don't really want personalized things... in which case, SIMU could just scrap the cathedral wedding plans in general... since the advertisement is for a truly unique experience.

[i]To each their own. I've liked the special effects I see at weddings! The Hosts seem to put time and effort into making them personal and special, and it doesn't look as cheesy as ACTS do, with the parenthesis.

Clever RP'ers get around those cheesy parenthesis... at least they managed to at my PC's wedding... or you do as I do... and make ( ) the same color as your background. Haven't had a roleplay continuancy problem in GS since I did that.

Well you know, Inferno was capped at 200 players last time I played, not thousands. It didn't need systems to run weddings, premium houses, or marriage-scripted verbs. There's the difference.

There is? So GM weddings work with more than one customer at a time? The GMs who do GM weddings make items from scratch with no imput from players? I don't think so. I'm used to working under conditions of no feedback. I simply said that under the condition of actually having feedback from players/ideas and only needing to do nips and tucks to them, the only thing left to do is QC.

I guess that means you won't be having the wedding you said you were excited about after all, even though you'd already paid for it? At some point it seems you thought it was worth it.

I'm still lost as to what you're alluding to here. Again, my PC's been married once herself in 1997, and it was not a cathedral wedding.

As for limits, what you're talking about in resource commitment for the staff would mean several GMs would need to be solely dedicated to weddings, some would need to know how to code, and then weddings would take months to get done, instead of weeks, creating a massive backlog of work.

If that's going to cause such hardship, the price could always be knocked down to what it was before -- standard 100.00. I didn't find that insane for inferior items, just more than I was willing to spend, and it did not make me feel guilty designing things for friends nor did it make me want to whisper, "hey...you know you're getting ripped off here" as the 180.00 price tag does.

From what I can gather, Simu's GMs have one main thing they work on, but they're expected to work on other things to please the players too, like faires, invasions, quests, merchants.

All mud staff has auxillary projects that they work on. I'm basically a liason between code and paint since I can code in c-base. I do some CS on the side, moderate a few threads on the mud board, guru two professions, and I'm head of interactions. Those are my duties.

My opinion stands:
lower the price of the weddings or do more for the weddings.

--Melissa

Sweets
03-29-2004, 05:59 AM
The first time I saw the price for a cathedral wedding in gemstone, I laughed outloud. Then I read the list of things you get with the money you just shelled out and laughed again. If you have that much money to burn on a text wedding, have at it. I would rather go buy some real life clothes, hey nearly enough for a PS2, my sweetie has always wanted a tool box on casters, Justin needs an exersaucer...he's bored, that could go towards my new dining room set, payment on the car, license for a real wedding, get a night out pubbing.....

You get my point.

Caramia
03-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren

My mistake then. I thought they were referring to the ice shrine on the glacier in wehnimers. That is where Kiera's wedding was held, and no, it was not premium. We just had TONS of people there and it was well done with a bardess performing two songs, a hand-fasting, storytelling, and food afterward :)

I agree that you can have a very nice wedding by yourselves. My PC has been married twice and both were beautiful ceremonies held in special places with special friends around them. Not having 20 alterations or verbs didn't detract from their wedding.

Is it? From what my friends who have had the weddings have said the verbage is VERY similar to what you're afforded with the new demeanor scripted verbs for WARM. So and so leans softly I have seen in action. Tickles mischievously I have seen in action.

There's no doubt that demeanor got a lot of their ideas from the wedding verbs, which existed years before. It's a shame a greater effort wasn't made to keep demeanor different. Promises have been made to revise the verbs to make them more unique again. We'll see.

I think something that costs 180.00 should be done quickly and in a seamless fashion.[quote]

Like I said, the consulting and designing work I've done with people has resulted in fast action. If it takes other people longer to get results, then my only guess would either be delay on the couple's end to get their items in, make sure they follow standard alteration guidelines to begin with, and spend too much time arguing why they can't have things clearly outside the guidelines, just because they are paying real dollars. The notion that paying money gets you anything you want, and screw the guidelines, is amusing.

[quoteGame is set pre-1400s strictly. The altering guidelines are actually stricter than Gemstone's. You'd never get away with making corsets, however I am good and fast and as the head of interactions, it would be like working with the head of a department in GS I suppose. I just like working with my players on a one on one basis in general.

You're out of date on this. Gemstone is medieval mixed with fantasy. I've been told designing stuff from the 1600s is fine. I've seen plenty of things made that are more modern than that, but aren't so obvious. Polyester would never be allowed, probably. Corsets have been made as recently as this past Ebon Gate. Take a look at the new ALTER verb next time you're in the game. And their staff does work one-on-one with the wedding couple -- how else could they get lists reviewed, adjusted, and approved?

I can because I have sat through the design processes of three weddings in GS the finished beyond item creation. My PC was the matron of honor in one (her daughter's wedding), I was forwarded all emails, and basically worked with the GS GMs (this first one was back when Wolv did weddings).

GM Wolv hasn't handled weddings in years. A whole new wedding system has been created since then and other people work it now.

So we should assume (wrongly) that every person who wants a wedding is out to abuse the system? I'd rather think that for that amount of money, staff would be willing to read through the requests and work on what was outrageous and allow the mundane instead of putting a cap on everything you could possibly use.

You miss my point. The reasons for the guidelines are probably the result of the abuses of the past, just like alteration guidelines. They're exactly the same set of guidelines used for standard alterations. Weddings aren't substandard alterations or have different guidelines applied, from my experience designing for people. Wedding emails received by my wedding couples states this fact. A list is sent in and reviewed by a wedding staff person. Each item is taken at its own merit. If a merchant wouldn't make it, weddings won't either. One rule for them all.

??? I think you have the wrong person. My PC has been married once -- in 1997 before GM weddings even were I believe.

GM Wedding have existed for more than a decade in GS, but have taken on several forms. My PC was "married" by GMs Miriani and Wolv, so that has to be 1996. I collected gems and clothing items, and they altered them. A couple of years later, friends of mine got more items than I did (10), including special rings. And then a year or so after that, Cathedral weddings were announced. Oh, guess I could have confused you with someone else, sorry about that.

That was reference to the scripts and the fact that every wedding couple's scripts are exactly the same with regard to what other player's see. But maybe you're right. Maybe people don't really want personalized things... in which case, SIMU could just scrap the cathedral wedding plans in general... since the advertisement is for a truly unique experience.

Oh but it is a truly unique experience, no false advertising there! The alterations are unique, the food is often unique, the messaging is unique. So you're saying that if 6 couples have gotten married in the ice caves of the special wedding areas, that more than one use (and less than hundreds) is no longer unique?

And that sharing the same script on a ring, with less than a couple of dozen active people in the game, is not considered unique?

You and I have differing opinions of what unique means, because unique doesn't always mean one-of-a-kind.

Clever RP'ers get around those cheesy parenthesis... at least they managed to at my PC's wedding... or you do as I do... and make ( ) the same color as your background. Haven't had a roleplay continuancy problem in GS since I did that.

Ah, you mean by using/abusing the smile command. ::chuckle:: Yes, I love seeing So and so smiles and does blah blah blah for each "action". Whatever. That's fine. I've seen some pretty talented (and unique!) messaging at weddings.

There is? So GM weddings work with more than one customer at a time? The GMs who do GM weddings make items from scratch with no imput from players? I don't think so. I'm used to working under conditions of no feedback. I simply said that under the condition of actually having feedback from players/ideas and only needing to do nips and tucks to them, the only thing left to do is QC.

Maybe you haven't gotten any feedback, but the couples I design for have gotten plenty of it. It's a purely give-and-take work between the wedding staff and the couple to make the items be both unique and hold up to GS standards/guidelines. How else would they get their unique items then? I would guess that if you are designing for people, you've seen them get what they asked for, for the most part. I'm not getting why you keep saying they aren't unique or there is no personal service, when there is.

If that's going to cause such hardship, the price could always be knocked down to what it was before -- standard 100.00. I didn't find that insane for inferior items, just more than I was willing to spend, and it did not make me feel guilty designing things for friends nor did it make me want to whisper, "hey...you know you're getting ripped off here" as the 180.00 price tag does.

Read my post again, I said a backlog would occur if each item had to be scripted and if each couple had to get unique-to-them scripted verbs because of the amount of work it would take to do them and because every GM has more than one task they perform. This isn't new news, they've posted several times on the official boards that in addition to having one area of focus, they do other things as well. I also said that you would need to dedicate staff solely to weddings, at the exclusion of having several GMs work on systems, events, quests, merchants, etc.

The items are hardly inferior. You can't fault the GMs for the lack of creativity of the players, just because someone wants a mundane or pedestrian long description on an item, or a tacky show. In many instances, the wedding people my couples have worked with have improved upon their suggestions, a step I really don't think is guaranteed, but is a nice bonus.

The price tag you put on your enjoyment of the game is going to be different than it is for others. Folks that can't find hours upon hours to sit and wait in merchant tents, to get the one item of their dreams, think paying $180 for a one-shot, get 20 items of my choice, as a deal!

My opinion stands:
lower the price of the weddings or do more for the weddings.

--Melissa

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I think one-on-one working with the couple on a list of 20 items, spending time making these unique items and QCing them, and working one-on-one with a someone on your special messaging and wedding day events is priced out cheaply! Considering most of the items get sold on eBay anyways and bring in a tidy sum, I'm sure they can recoup the $180 pretty quickly.

[Edited on 3/29/2004 by Caramia to fix some typos, though probably not all.]

[Edited on 3/29/2004 by Caramia]

Betheny
03-29-2004, 04:53 PM
If I had 180 dollars, I'd buy shoes. Not text in a game.

Caramia
03-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
If I had 180 dollars, I'd buy shoes. Not text in a game.

I've made this argument before, too, Maimara, and I got slammed for saying that I thought spending real money for 0s and 1s was foolish. Yelled at for daring to suggest that spending money for game items wasn't an appropriate thing to do, also.

It's wonderfully hypocritical to watch some of those same people (not likely Maimara however) that slammed me then, now turn around and say spending $$ on in-game items is foolish.

SpunGirl
03-29-2004, 05:05 PM
I had a cathedral wedding (kind of) and I enjoyed it. I didn't spend $180.00 on it, either, I split the cost with the other person.

I think that if you don't think it's worth it, you shouldn't do it. And of course, making suggestions to MAKE it worth it also makes sense. But just saying it's stupid serves no real purpose.

I wonder what it would be like, being the lone GM that has to review goodness only knows how many wedding lists each week that have items on them like "a stunning ruby-encrusted toe ring with the inscription, 'sexy toes' festooned with dangling silver hearts," having to make a useful suggestion for an item like that (hah!) and THEN having to argue it back and forth in email with the person who thinks this item is just grand.

There's a lot more to it, but it would be useless for me to blather on about it here.

-K

Galleazzo
03-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Well, I ain't one of them, Caramia. I get that you're really invested in defending the system you work for, but it's still pretty dumb. Same kind of dumb as spending $$ for a character or a sword or anything like that.

A'course, maybe that's just God's way of telling folks they got too much jack.

DeV
03-29-2004, 05:45 PM
I can't wait till Vold and Shilara tie the knot in game. Were splitting the cost. I think its worth it if thats something you want to do. If not, go by some new shoes! :smug:

Caramia
03-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
I think that if you don't think it's worth it, you shouldn't do it.

We agree there, not like anyone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to get a cathedral wedding! Not like it's the only recognized marriage in Elanthia either.

I like helping folks, think I design nice things, and I like seeing my stuff out there or knowing someone treasures an item I helped them with. If I wanted to be a GM, I would apply, but then like Spun said:

I wonder what it would be like, being the lone GM that has to review goodness only knows how many wedding lists each week that have items on them like "a stunning ruby-encrusted toe ring with the inscription, 'sexy toes' festooned with dangling silver hearts," having to make a useful suggestion for an item like that (hah!) and THEN having to argue it back and forth in email with the person who thinks this item is just grand.

Sounds like fun, heh! I'm perfectly happy sitting in the background, helping Spun's gal and other folks.

[Edited on 3/30/2004 by Caramia]

AnticorRifling
03-29-2004, 09:24 PM
I wonder what the price hike will be on this little treat.....

ElanthianSiren
03-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
I wonder what the price hike will be on this little treat.....

I think it goes something like the general mentality of late:

Get less... pay more. Maybe the 18 items will come out of the equation all together and you'll just get the special messaging.

It might be worth it to some who haven't figured how to manipulate smile, say, and other verbage while also using acts.

-Melissa

SpunGirl
03-30-2004, 05:30 AM
Heh, Cara is awesome at helping with item design, if anyone needs it.

A former GH can't be all bad at knowing the ins and outs of what will be rejected and what won't:P

-K

Galleazzo
03-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Lord lifting Jesus, yeah -- bet the price on Cathedral goes up to $250.