PDA

View Full Version : What books make you laugh?

Myshel
03-28-2004, 09:53 AM
What book have you read that makes you laugh out loud. Cleaning out my bookcase the other day I came across,
Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love.
Definately a woman's book but it was so funny.

Edaarin
03-28-2004, 10:03 AM
When I was younger, most Roald Dahl books.
When I was in high school, The Men's Manifesto, it gave me a lot of jokes to break out around the feminazi's in my history class.
Most recently, Charles Barkley's latest 'autobiography'.

Skirmisher
03-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" series.

Simply hysterical characters surrounding a fun mystery in each book. Actually makes me laugh out loud almost every few minutes while reading them.

This one of the few authors on my automatic BUY list. Anything she writes I'll buy without needing to know anythng more than that she wrote it.

Extra fun if you are from Jersey as all the action takes place in the lovely and aromatic Garden State.

Working-class Jersey girl and former lingerie buyer STEPHANIE PLUM is a bond bailsma-er-bailsperson, working out of the blue collar "burg" in Trenton, New Jersey, where "houses and minds are proud to be narrow". And family ties tend to strangle. Rather than move in with her parents (and Grandma), she goes to work for her cousin Vinnie, the bail bondsman. And let's get it straight--Stephanie isn't exactly the toughest thing on earth, or even New Jersey. As she puts it, "I don't look at all like George Foreman. I'm more like Wonder Woman with a B-cup."

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/plum.html

GSLeloo
03-28-2004, 11:58 AM
The Pern Series by Anne McCaffrey. I guess it's just like you get so into the entire thing that you laugh and cry and everything so easily.

Plus this one is a definite for cat lovers, The Keeper Series by Tanya Huff. Trust me, you'll laugh your ass off at the cats in this series.

Silverona
03-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gallaxy of course, and Heinlin's books usually make me laugh, he's a great author. Hope I've spelled it right ;)

Sean
03-28-2004, 12:28 PM
The Leuchter Report. I havn't started it yet but it promises to make me laugh.

Latrinsorm
03-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Robert Crais. They're funny, and then the guy kicks the hell out of a bunch of people. What more could you ask for?

ElanthianSiren
03-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Pretty much any of the Dragonlance books made me laugh. They probably still would if I picked them up.

I also have a few books of poetry and period insults that make me laugh, partially becase the material therein is sooo catty/in your face with regard to whoever/whatever, or specifically with regard to the period insults, I wonder the looks you'd actually get using them in modern day america.

-Melissa

ThisOtherKingdom
03-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Brain Droppings, by George Carlin.

Sean
03-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ThisOtherKingdom
Brain Droppings, by George Carlin.

Great book. We keep it in our bathroom its the best for just random thoughts.

ThisOtherKingdom
03-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah, Tijay, I wish I could find my copy. It's here somewhere, broken binding and all.

Satira
03-28-2004, 11:26 PM
God Bless You Mr. Rosewater and Sirens of Titan. In particular the first. Kurt Vonnegut has such a way with satire. I love it.

Drew2
03-28-2004, 11:29 PM
The Bible.

Satira
03-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Hahahaha! Read a Scientology pamphlet.

peam
03-29-2004, 01:09 AM
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

Sweets
03-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Douglas Adam books-

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe, and Everything.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Mint
03-29-2004, 03:34 PM
If you like fishing/hunting/camping (or hate these activities come to think of it) anything by Patrick McManus is hilarious. I especially laughed at "I Fish Therefore I Am", "Never Sniff A Gift Fish" and "Rubber Legs and White Tail Hairs". Good stuff.

Fengus
03-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Dave Berry, all pretty funny some more than others.

Skirmisher
04-02-2004, 06:56 AM
I paid my toll and inched forward, sucking in a stew of diesel exhaust and other secret ingredients that caught me in the back of the throat. I adjusted to the pollution in less than a quarter of a mile and felt just fine when i reached Mo's sister's house on Crane Street. Adaptation is one of the great advantages of being born and bred in Jersey. We're simply not bested by bad air or tainted water. We're like that catfish with lungs. Take us out of our environment and we can grow whatever body parts we need to survive. After Jersey, the rest of the contry's a piece of cake. You want to send someone into a fallout zone? Get him from Jersey. He'll be fine. Janet Evanovich-"Three To Get Deadly"