PDA

View Full Version : About this demeanor thang...

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 07:06 PM
From logs I have seen, it appears that many players have no idea how demeanor is to be used. To warmly say: "I shall kill you now." is, I am sure, not what was intended.

Do you find that the demeanor verb is helpful or harmful to your roleplaying efforts? I do not think I would use it at all, but I am interested to hear what the majority feels concerning this verb.

HarmNone, the ever-questioning

StrayRogue
08-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Don't you mean the Tone verb?

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Don't you mean the Tone verb?

Oh, is that what they call it? I guess that is, in fact, what I mean. :D

HarmNone

StrayRogue
08-29-2003, 07:13 PM
*Nod* Tone is your voice dynamic:
Stay says evily, "Will you marry me?"
Stay says pedantically, "I told you that was the wrong hole".

Demeanor is the Cold, Reserved, Neutral, Warm, Friendly setting.

But I agree, Tone is mis-used so badly (though can be used incredibly well).

Guy says mysteriously, "how old are kobolds?"

StrayRogue
08-29-2003, 07:13 PM
*Nod* Tone is your voice dynamic:
Stay says evily, "Will you marry me?"
Stay says pedantically, "I told you that was the wrong hole".

Demeanor is the Cold, Reserved, Neutral, Warm, Friendly setting.

But I agree, Tone is mis-used so badly (though can be used incredibly well).

Guy says mysteriously, "how old are kobolds?"

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 07:22 PM
I can see how it could be used well, depending on how many variations are allowed. However, from what I have seen in logs, it is rarely used correctly. Perhaps it is just the logs I have seen that make it seem such.

Personally, I cannot see what was wrong with the old "act" verb, or the proper additions made to "smile". Those allowed a great deal of latitude to the player, I felt.

HarmNone

StrayRogue
08-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Well, I am of the inclination, any RP tool/verb is a good thing, even if some idjits can't use it right.

Weedmage Princess
08-29-2003, 07:31 PM
I love TONE. I think it is a wonderful addition...kudos to whoever had the idea to implement it. I use it frequently, to add a little spice to whatever conversation I'm engaging in. I guess it just sometimes seems like a "not so good" idea because there are so many people who don't know how to use it properly...which I don't understand. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can't have a heated argument in a "sweet" or "warm" tone. It just takes a little common sense. But then, there are more than a few in the game who have no concept of better reasoning or common sense.

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
I love TONE. I think it is a wonderful addition...kudos to whoever had the idea to implement it. I use it frequently, to add a little spice to whatever conversation I'm engaging in. I guess it just sometimes seems like a "not so good" idea because there are so many people who don't know how to use it properly...which I don't understand. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can't have a heated argument in a "sweet" or "warm" tone. It just takes a little common sense. But then, there are more than a few in the game who have no concept of better reasoning or common sense.

Perhaps those who misuse it are just too lazy to bother to change their tone to convey the emotion of the moment. That is a shame, as it could be a good tool, I suppose. I'm sure it is not difficult to change from one tone to another, or am I misguessing?

HarmNone

StrayRogue
08-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, its a laziness similar to people not capitalizing and not punctuating.

Bobmuhthol
08-29-2003, 07:42 PM
<<Well, its a laziness similar to people not capitalizing and not punctuating.>>

And thus began the quest to GemStone IV, only to find that sentences are automatically capitalized and punctuated. Best feature in GSIV hands down.

I use the mocking tone a lot. Clearly, stupidly, and mockingly are really the only ones I use because they're the only ones I need.

Weedmage Princess
08-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Nope HarmNone, it's very easy to change your tone. You'd just type tone <whatever> to modify it. Tone sad, tone happy, tone angry, etc. Or if you want to remove a tone, just type tone none and you no longer have any special tone.

People just abuse it.

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Nope HarmNone, it's very easy to change your tone. You'd just type tone <whatever> to modify it. Tone sad, tone happy, tone angry, etc. Or if you want to remove a tone, just type tone none and you no longer have any special tone.

People just abuse it.

That is really quite sad to hear. It looks as though the GMs were trying to give people a roleplaying tool. Of course, to many, roleplaying was never the issue. I guess that has not changed. ::sigh::

HarmNone

StrayRogue
08-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Tone list gives you a...um, list of all the tones too.

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Tone list gives you a...um, list of all the tones too.

Sounds like they did their best to make it easy. Too bad some will simply refuse to use it. Alas. Thus has it been for quite awhile now.

HarmNone

Adhara
08-30-2003, 11:40 AM
There is another way to use tone for only one line. I believe you can find the details under 'say.'

From memory, it's something like this:

say :<tone> <message>

You have to use say though and not the apostrophe. But it's still less typing than typing:

tone <new tone>
(message)
tone <old tone>

Bobmuhthol
08-30-2003, 11:41 AM
No, you can use " with the tone changes.

":mocking Adhara sure is wrong.

Adhara
08-30-2003, 11:43 AM
For example:

>say :weary I am so tired.
You wearily say, "I am so tired."

Then if you do not specify a tone for your next one you default to no tone or to the tone last set with the tone verb:

Your tone is now weary.
>say :grave I speak gravely
You gravely say, "I speak gravely"
>'or wearily
You wearily say, "or wearily"

StrayRogue
08-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Well the tone list gives corresponding numbers to their tones. For example:

>tone 20
Your tone is now confused.

You confusidely ask, "Wtf".

>tone 1
Your tone is now normal speech.

Bobby
08-30-2003, 11:55 AM

People just abuse it.

I wouldn't call it abuse. I think what you have are immature players that get their player's emotions caught up in the PvP/CvC moment.

Abuse? Nah.
Stupidity? Good possibility.

I agree with most that its a great tool. Any RP tool is a great one as someone said earlier.

Just need to get your head out of your character long enough to fix the tone.

:cool2:

Parkbandit
08-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Bobmuhthol stupidly says, "I know the answer"

Parkbandit
08-30-2003, 12:04 PM
I have no trouble with people using some tones all the time...like quietly, softly, etc... Those I can see a character using all the time.

It's the ones that use Happily, Somberly, mysteriously, etc that should be killed, gutted and cured.

09-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Deadlysorcie darkly exclaims, "give me huggles you lil elfie puff!!!"

Weedmage Princess
09-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Wasn't that one of your other characters, Klaive?

09-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Wasn't that one of your other characters, Klaive?

Nope!