PDA

View Full Version : Skinning Knives

LordSjoldamm
03-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Now that we finally have an understanding as to which skills effect skinning, and how much, does anyone know how much of an effect the skinning tool has? I know that most "skinning knives" are just fancy daggers, but a few of the early skinning knives did give a bonus to your skinning ability. Does anybody know which knives these were? Also, does the knives' material matter at all? It steel any better or worse than, for example, ruby or alexandrite?

Latrinsorm
03-27-2004, 06:18 PM
From what I heard, the early skinning knives were a hoax perpetrated by the GM merchant. The sign said "these help skinning lolz" but they really didn't. Juspera's site (I think) has a good list of what helps/hinders skinning.

LordSagan
03-27-2004, 06:21 PM
before GS4...Skinning Knives did nothing at all. Now, I don't know. They may have implemented skinning tools into the code now.

03-27-2004, 09:33 PM
The weapon you use to skin makes a big diffrence, in both the value and the chance of skinning

Speaker
03-27-2004, 10:21 PM
There are only a handful of actual skinning knives which are all quite expensive. I know there are a few which help you skin, but not perfectly, and then there are a few others which skin flawlessly.

-Speaker

Fengus
03-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Most of my evidence is anecdotal but I'm pretty sure the weapon does matter, wether a skinning knife is any better than a dagger I couldn't say but a dagger is way better than a falchion.

Celexei
03-27-2004, 10:33 PM
so there ARE skinning knives out there that actually do aid to your skinning abilities?

03-27-2004, 10:36 PM
The size of the weapon is what is important you use a dagger bassed item and you will be able to skin well etc.
For example in Stone Mastiffs you need a blunt to skin well

Celexei
03-27-2004, 10:38 PM
serious? you can skin with a blunt? quite strange although i do know i have skinned with a runestaff before which threw me off

03-27-2004, 10:40 PM
depends on the critter, your better off skinning stone things with a blunt object for example.

Celexei
03-27-2004, 10:43 PM
okay here, i'll pose another question....if your not trained in the blunt for stone things do you still skin with it? or does it not matter your weapon training for skinning?

03-27-2004, 10:46 PM
no only first aid and survival matter
both an equal amount

Celexei
03-27-2004, 10:49 PM
so i'll remember that when my ranger's huntin mastiffs someday....carry a blunt!

Speaker
03-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Celexei
so there ARE skinning knives out there that actually do aid to your skinning abilities?

Yep!

-Speaker

Sirinna
03-28-2004, 12:18 AM
I think some critter can only be skinned by blunt weapons; while some can only be skinned by a drake dagger or dagger with fire flares (trollking?)

There are a few skinning knifes out there that's were sold for over 25 million silvers, which makes you skin like the best pro with zero skinning related skills (Pre GS3 testing), dunno how those are affected in GS4. These skinning knifes were god auctioned in one of the paid event big auctions years back I believe. Do correct me if I am wrong coz memory getting sketchy... :D

LordSagan
03-28-2004, 01:13 AM
There are specially coded skinning knives, such as the ones which skin 100% of the time. Your basic vendor sold "skinning knife" is nothing more than a dagger. It doesn't help you skin better whatsoever.

This is what I meant in my previous post.

The type of weapon you are using has been a factor for a very long time now, and many creatures are coded to look for a specific type of weapon or type to allow you to skin them or to have any sort of luick whatsover. Troll Kings, for example.

If you see someone selling just a plain old "skinning knife", it is just as good as the "a dagger" you buy from the weapon shop in town.

Fengus
03-28-2004, 01:58 AM
So could I skin stone mastiffs with my fists?

03-28-2004, 02:01 AM
yes I can, but the quality of the skin will be lower so it will be worth less

AnticorRifling
03-28-2004, 08:39 AM
I know back when Insomniac played his character had one of the 25mil skinning knives. Not sure if he sold it before he left or not.

AnticorRifling
03-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Personally I'd rather have the gloves that have the self mana ranger spell skinning in them though.