PDA

View Full Version : It's back?!

Enitocin
04-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I just checked out the psinet homepage and it's back up. I haven't played it in game yet.. Is it connecting?

Nilandia
04-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Psinet appears to be back, yes. I was able to link up just now.

Gretchen

Fallen
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Groovy.

Allereli
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
LICH SUCKS AGAIN

Fallen
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Why would PSInet crash like that? Is Jamus the only one who is able to have it actively running? I thought there were multiple people who could pull it off.

Enitocin
04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm just gonna use both. I like lich, but I like Psinet also.
What does that make me?

Fallen
04-08-2010, 05:46 PM
A walrus lover.

Enitocin
04-08-2010, 06:06 PM
....How'd you know?

Liberi Fatali
04-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm just gonna use both. I like lich, but I like Psinet also.
What does that make me?

It's possible to install both at the same time?

Bobmuhthol
04-08-2010, 07:22 PM
It's a pain in the ass and all I really got out of it was PsiNet chat which was not worth the trouble.

Liberi Fatali
04-08-2010, 07:24 PM
It's a pain in the ass and all I really got out of it was PsiNet chat which was not worth the trouble.

Oh... see I'm on the opposite side, though. I've never used Lich, and I've only had PSInet.

Can you tell me what's good about Lich? I have no knowledge of scripting, and that, to me, is all it seems like -- a scripting program.

Can you elaborate why you think it's better?

Enitocin
04-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Lich is actually really simple once you get going. It's like psinet, except more stuff.

It's easy to install psinet with lich.

Liberi Fatali
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Lich is actually really simple once you get going. It's like psinet, except more stuff.

It's easy to install psinet with lich.

This is what I want to find out -- what's "more stuff"? Explain to me the features.

And can you point me to directions on how to have both at the same time? That is, how to install Lich if I already have PSInet?

Eoghain
04-08-2010, 08:29 PM
instructions are available on the lich homepage at lichproject.org. It has scripts already written and built in, you just download them and activate them to use them. Kewl ones I've found in the last week of using Lich:

Wander - walks around an area looking for a specific critter, then you kill it
go2 - same as goto.
waggle - same as spellup auto
empheal - heals down your empath. there's also a healbot

there's like 2 pages of scripts listed. install lich and check it out for yourself.

phantasm
04-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I'd switch to lich if it wouldn't be so tempting to waste a bunch of time writing scripts for it.

Drevihyin
04-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I doubt you would face that temptation from the looks of the scripts in the repo its been done. Some probabaly get the itch to make a script perform better or tailor it to a certain character.

Tillmen
04-08-2010, 10:59 PM
go2 - same as goto.

I died a little inside when I read this...

go2 currently has 18,112 rooms in its database, with 39,555 simple directions and 1,491 mini-scripts connecting those rooms. It can take you from the Marsh Keep in River's Rest to the Scatter in the Rift and back, buying your ticket for the cutter if you don't already have one. It can take you from Vaalor to the Bowels and back, taking the Vaalor shortcut or the ferry, whichever you tell it to. It empties your hands when you need to climb, wears your sonic shield and resings your sonic weapon. It stands up when you fall. It doesn't slip on ice, unless it can cast haste for you or you have enough surivial ranks that it's faster to fall a couple times than waiting at every ice patch. It uses as many typeahead lines as you tell it to. It can use the portal system if you're on Plat. It has no problem with the minotaur mazes. And you don't have to memorize room numbers. The map database is updated.. a lot. It is not the same as goto.

Cephalopod
04-08-2010, 11:07 PM
For some reason, I thought this thread was about Ashliana.

SpiffyJr
04-09-2010, 09:15 AM
The differences between Lich and Psinet:

Psinet has a library.
Lich has everything else Psinet has, doubled, and with the kitchen sink.

Ryvicke
04-09-2010, 09:28 AM
I died a little inside when I read this...

go2 currently has 18,112 rooms in its database, with 39,555 simple directions and 1,491 mini-scripts connecting those rooms. It can take you from the Marsh Keep in River's Rest to the Scatter in the Rift and back, buying your ticket for the cutter if you don't already have one. It can take you from Vaalor to the Bowels and back, taking the Vaalor shortcut or the ferry, whichever you tell it to. It empties your hands when you need to climb, wears your sonic shield and resings your sonic weapon. It stands up when you fall. It doesn't slip on ice, unless it can cast haste for you or you have enough surivial ranks that it's faster to fall a couple times than waiting at every ice patch. It uses as many typeahead lines as you tell it to. It can use the portal system if you're on Plat. It has no problem with the minotaur mazes. And you don't have to memorize room numbers. The map database is updated.. a lot. It is not the same as goto.

If ;go2 existed in corporeal form :bananahit:

Vindicate
04-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Installed Lich two days ago. There is a learning curve but it is short.
With utility scripts like ;go2 and ;narost - it makes everyone of my travel scripts completely obsolete.

Downloading Lich for just travel alone is worth the curve.

As a side note to the curve;
Be careful where you test ;wander out. I quickly ended up face to face with a lich.

pabstblueribbon
04-09-2010, 10:34 AM
;wander help

Set up boundries.

caelric
04-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh, and with ;go2, you also have ;narost which shows the map (using Tsoran's maps, mostly) and shows where you are. Click on where you want to go, and it takes you there.

The only problem with advertising lich to Psinet folks is that the install is complicated by the fact that Psinet is already installed, and this leads to install difficulties because Psinet is such a PITA to uninstall completely.

Ryvicke
04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Oh, and with ;go2, you also have ;narost which shows the map (using Tsoran's maps, mostly) and shows where you are. Click on where you want to go, and it takes you there.

The only problem with advertising lich to Psinet folks is that the install is complicated by the fact that Psinet is already installed, and this leads to install difficulties because Psinet is such a PITA to uninstall completely.

I'd have agreed with you until I did it a few weeks ago and it took me about 15 minutes start to finish. And I'm not smart.

caelric
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Huh, well, I am just going by the posts I see on the board. I very well could be wrong.

Nilandia
04-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Huh, well, I am just going by the posts I see on the board. I very well could be wrong.
Since Lich introduced chat channels, I've successfully gotten several people in my circle of friends to migrate over from Psinet, where we had a chat channel, to Lich, where we had another channel. Of the people who mentioned whether it was easy or difficult to switch, all of them mentioned having issues. A good portion of them had to ask someone for help, and on a couple occasions they came to me with issues that I had no idea on so I had to ask Tillmen for help.

Still, all of the people who tried to make the switch were able to do so, and nearly all of the problems came from uninstalling Psinet rather than installing Lich. Almost all of them have said they're happy they did make the switch.

In other news, I've noticed that since the long downtime for Psinet, the numbers of people on Lich and Psinet have been pretty even, and the number on Lich has exceeded Psinet on a few occasions.

Gretchen

radamanthys
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Lich takes a while to set up. As was mentioned, it's more of a modular framework. You can go through its script repository to get scripts to add in to it. Each of the features mentioned needs to be downloaded separately from the repository. It's not a difficult process, but there are two pages of scripts to go through. There certainly is a learning curve, but its more of a time curve.

There are some very useful scripts, though. Uberbar is pretty keen, as is wander. I'm still trying to figure out what some of the shit does- the ;repo info often doesn't tell the story.

Geshron
04-09-2010, 10:07 PM

goto does the same exact thing, I don't get it.

Bobmuhthol
04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Goto definitely sucks compared to ;go2. There's no comparison.

Alorn15
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
goto does the same exact thing...

Im really happy for goto, and ima let you finish, but Tillmen wrote the best movement script OF ALL TIME.

Ryvicke
04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Im really happy for goto, and ima let you finish, but Tillmen wrote the best movement script OF ALL TIME.

:rofl: still funny

SpiffyJr
04-10-2010, 01:22 AM
goto does the same exact thing, I don't get it.

So, you're saying GOTO can take you from Sol Haven, two Icemule, back to Vaalor, through that new nifty pass they added, and back to Sol Haven without having any issues? Or, how about navigating the simple graveyard maze in the Landing?

Don't say goto does the same thing unless you've tried it. Comparing goto to go2 (say that 5 times fast) is like comparing a scooter to a Harley.

Latrinsorm
04-11-2010, 06:53 PM
A scooter that can't make left turns. A Zooöoter, if you will.

Khariz
05-15-2010, 12:11 AM
So...yeah. I downloaded and installed Lich for the first time today. The only reason I did so was a combination of fates that included me having just bought a brand new computer and Psinet being down.

HOLY SHIT!

I'm so pissed off that I brushed lich off before.

With only these things active:

>;list all
--- Lich: voodoo, psicont, activespells, sorter, infomon, uberbar, lnet.

...this thing is already better than Psinet, IMO.

I feel so damn stupid right now. ;go2 is amazing. I've been with people who had wander before, and I was a bit jealous. With voodoo and alias I've got everything working that I had set up in Psinet, and no need for it.

Shame I have to memorize new room numbers, but I'll get over it. Nah, I'll make aliases!

Tillmen
05-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Shame I have to memorize new room numbers, but I'll get over it. Nah, I'll make aliases!

You shouldn't have to memorize any room numbers. The only time you really need to give go2 a room number is when someone says "Come rescue me in room ####". Most of the places you want to go are already built-in targets. ;go2 bank, ;go2 gemshop, etc. See ;go2 targets for the full list. For uncommon targets like hunting areas, just go to the room you want and type:

;go2 save kobolds=current

then later you can just type:

;go2 kobolds

to go to the room.

Another way to avoid room numbers, is if you know part of the title or room description of the room you want to go to. For example:

;go2 birthing sands

is not a built-in target or saved alias or anything, but there's only one room with that title, and it'll take you to the rift. If there's more than one match, it'll give you a list to pick from.

Khariz
05-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks!

I've already built it out, hehe

>goto list
--- Lich: go2 active.
pinefar = 2777 [Pinefar Trading Post, Greatroom]
rr = 10861 [River's Rest, Town Commons]
pfpost = 2777 [Pinefar Trading Post, Greatroom]
icemule = 2300 [Icemule Trace, Town Center]
landing = 228 [Town Square Central]
zltc = 1005 [Zul Logoth, Crystalline Cavern]
solhaven = 1438 [Solhaven, North Market]
tsc = 228 [Town Square Central]
zullogoth = 1005 [Zul Logoth, Crystalline Cavern]
tvtc = 3521 [Ta'Vaalor, Victory Court]
vaalor = 3521 [Ta'Vaalor, Victory Court]
well = 8666 [Town Well]
teras = 1932 [Dragonspine and Krodera]
imtc = 2300 [Icemule Trace, Town Center]
illistim = 188 [Ta'Illistim, Hanging Gardens]
riversrest = 10861 [River's Rest, Town Commons]
tigarden = 188 [Ta'Illistim, Hanging Gardens]
nmarket = 1438 [Solhaven, North Market]
shnmarket = 1438 [Solhaven, North Market]
--- Lich: go2 has exited.

I'm sure I'll add thousands of these things as time goes on.

This is fun!

Khariz
05-15-2010, 12:32 AM
heh go2locate explains a lot...like Kaedra.

Tea & Strumpets
05-15-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't know what the shit anyone is talking about in this thread. FYI.