View Full Version : StormFront Maps

CrystalTears
03-26-2004, 05:43 PM
MARCH OF RHYMES: STORMFRONT MAPS · on 3/26/2004 12:38:52 PM 573

Dateline 3/26/2004: MARCH OF RHYMES: STORMFRONT MAPS

Maps of treasure, maps of trails,
Maps of seas on which to sail.
Maps all battered, torn and tattered,
Maps of lands where towns and treasure are scattered.
Roll it up and guard it well,
Maps are your friend when all else fails helping you find your way through darkness, rain and the light of day.

The time has come for the release of maps for Stormfront users. Currently maps have been published for the areas surrounding Ta'Vaalor.

The first step in the process is to ensure that you're using the right client, which would be Stormfront v1.0.1.17. If you are not already using it and are a PC user you can download it at http://software.play.net.

Once you're all setup with the proper client (and have done a clean restart in all game instances) head on over to Ta'Vaalor. Upon login you'll see a resident link in the Windows window called "Maps". It is the master map dialog box. If it's not already open, click on it to bring it forward.

"Travel Map" will display the map of the area you're currently located in, if one is present. Click on "Travel Map" and bring it to the front. You'll notice this slick little map created by one of the onsite artists. The room you're residing in will be represented by an icon on the map.

Right clicking on the open Travel Map Window will bring up a context menu with two choices, Configure and Close Window. Choosing Configure will spawn a new configuration DB (Dialog Box) with several configuration options. The configuration DB will allow you to set some preferences if you don't care for the default values. Zoom, Auto Centering, Cursor Drag and Icons are all fidgetable options. Auto Centering will center the map in the open Travel Map window when you move around the area. This is especially handy if you're viewing a large map in a very small DB. Cursor Drag allows you to Click & Drag (C&D) on the map image and move it around the DB, provided the image is larger then the DB. Currently there are five icons to choose from. Also note that users with a wheel mouse can use it to control the size of the image in the DB.

The "Maps" DB is the master list of maps we've published. Currently there are 20. Titles of these areas are: Barefoot Hill, Barley Field, Briar Thicket, Fearling Pass, Fethayl Bog, Foothills, Glaise Cnoc, Hilltop, Lunule Weald, Neartofar, Plains of Bone, Rambling Meadows, Silverwood Manor, Ta'Vaalor, Ta'Vaalor Catacombs, Toadwort, Vineyard, Yander Farm, Yander Turnip, Yander Wheat.

Clicking on the eye icon to the left of the map label will toggle visibility of that map in a static and unique secondary DB. Keep in mind that preferences are global and can't currently be set for each individual map.

The maps support ALT tags on the mouseover event (ie. if you put your mouse pointer over a room box it'll show some neato text). The currently published maps offer an abundance of info such as room name and a bulleted list of important items in the room. In the case of portals it also includes the go phrase of that portal.

Movement with maps is painfully simple. Simply click on a room that you'd like to move to, or click on a portal that you'd like to move through.

Please report any irregularities in game with the BUG tool.

Thanks,
Brauden

This message was originally posted in Front Ends, Forums and Computer Help, StormFront: Map System. To discuss the above follow the link below.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=3&topic=16&message =24

Bobmuhthol
03-26-2004, 05:45 PM
What a waste of good coding.

..assuming it works.

Artha
03-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Sounds pretty handy. Of course, they did the Vaalor areas first, which is kind of wierd.

TheEschaton
03-26-2004, 05:56 PM
It does work. :) It's still a little buggy, but it works. Brauden worked out most of the major ones.

I told him my zMUD maps were gonna pwn his, and tried to convince him to give me the database of locations to the game, but to no avail. He's a tough cookie to crack.

-TheE-

Latrinsorm
03-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Artha
Sounds pretty handy. Of course, they did the Vaalor areas first, which is kind of wierd. No more weird than how everyone who doesn't fork over cash starts in Ta'Vaalor. They just don't seem to get that the town sux and nobody wants to live there.

CrystalTears
03-26-2004, 06:21 PM
If nobody likes going there, then they're obviously going to find ways to lure people to go there. Making maps that will help guide you is a step in the right direction.

Heck even I was encouraged to restart my warrior in Ta'Vaalor now because of the map. Familiarity is what keeps me in the landing.

TheEschaton
03-26-2004, 06:22 PM
I love Vaalor, and the EN. I like the fact that I never have to go west of Ta'Illistim ever....in my life....if I didn't want to.

-TheE-