PDA

View Full Version : Starter Golf Clubs

peam
04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
What would you guys recommend for someone just starting out on a golf course?

I'm totally fresh to the game - never played a hole in my life. I'd like to keep the price under $300 if possible.

Has anyone ever had luck scavenging clubs from yard sales or thrift stores or are those clubs as bad as they often look?

RichardCranium
04-03-2010, 09:30 PM
What would you guys recommend for someone just starting out on a golf course?

I'm totally fresh to the game - never played a hole in my life. I'd like to keep the price under $300 if possible.

Has anyone ever had luck scavenging clubs from yard sales or thrift stores or are those clubs as bad as they often look?

You can get a decent starter set for about $200 at any Academy or any other sporting goods store. Name brand doesn't matter at this point.

Do you still have the conductor's hat? That's a good look for the golf course.

Asrial
04-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Go hit up the sales staff at a major golf location (Golfsmith is the place I go to) to help stay within your budget.

I'd recommend getting...

Driver, Hybrid, 6 iron, 9 iron, pitching wedge, and a putter.

For a BEGINNER'S SET that'll cover the bases.

WRoss
04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd agree with Asrial, except I'd take the driver out. Everyone wants to go the distance, but the driver creates the most problems. Start out teeing off with a 2-3 iron. It'll get you distance, but it is easier to keep it straight and stay out of any hazards.

Marl
04-03-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3498838&cp=2367438.2367822.2273502.2273503

not a bad set to learn on really...

kgolfer
04-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Echo what everyone else said except 3 wood instead of driver. Hybrids are taking over (even the pros) bags to replace 2 irons. Tiger is one of the last ones to use a 2 iron and he uses a hybrid on some courses.

Asrial
04-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I'd agree with Asrial, except I'd take the driver out. Everyone wants to go the distance, but the driver creates the most problems. Start out teeing off with a 2-3 iron. It'll get you distance, but it is easier to keep it straight and stay out of any hazards.True.

What I like about my driver is the feeling I get when I get a solid swing and really hammer the ball :D

I'm still a beginner but I've seen tremendous progress over the years. I look for the little things to keep me playing :D

MotleyCrew
04-03-2010, 11:18 PM
http://thetoyzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/KnexToys_88CA/LittleTykesGolfSet_thumb.png

Gan
04-04-2010, 09:40 AM
LOL @ Motley's post.

First thing you want to do is make sure you get the right shaft length. It sucks setting your swing on short clubs and then having to relearn on proper length clubs.

1. Go steel regular flex shafts. Later when your swing gets consistent you can play around with graphite.

2. Measuring: I picked this chart up off a Golfsmith site.

HOW TO DETERMINE LENGTH: To determine the length of your club, stand at attention and have someone measure from the crease where your wrist and hand meet to the floor. Do this with both hands and take an average.
If you measure:
• 29 to 32 inches, your irons should be based on a 5-iron of 37 inches
• 33-34 inches, your irons should be based on a 5-iron of 37 1/2 inches
• 35-36 inches, your irons should be based on a 5-iron of 38 inches
• 37-38 inches, your irons should be based on a 5-iron of 38 1/2 inches
• 39-40 inches, your irons should be based on a 5-iron of 39 inches
• 41 or more inches, your irons should be based on a 5-iron of 39 1/2 inches.

3. You'll want to find a large cavity back club head style - something thats easily forgiving and has large sweet spots. That keeps you from getting frustrated at toed shots and throwing your new clubs into the water hazards.

4. Find a set of clubs with a set of standard sized grips that fit well with your hands. This will be fairly standard.

5. Go to Academy or a Golfsmith store and pick up a cheap set with the right length. If you go to a Golfsmith store - one of the store pros can help you. I recommend getting a driver, 3 - 9, wedge and a putter. You might as well start learning now how to use all of your irons. A universal wedge will work close up and in sand. Play around with the putters on the test green (Golfsmith) and find out which one feels right for you. There are many types - stick with a simple version for now.

6. Pick up a set of FootJoy or Nike soft cleated shoe. Something that will keep your feet dry and comfortable for 18 holes (4 to 5 hours).

7. Spend time at the driving range to get the feel of your clubs and then hit the munie courses to have fun without breaking the bank or the course. I'd even recommend hitting the 9 hole par 3 courses - they even have lighted ones so you can play at twilight or dark.

PS. Load your bag with cheap balls. You're going to run through a lot of them. Wal-Mart has boxes usually on sale for around 5 bucks for 12 to 15 balls (Top Flight, etc.). You can also pick up long tees and club brushes as well as other golf care supplies there.

Enjoy! My only regret is that I did not take up golf earlier in life (I started in College). I'm going to be teaching my son how to play this summer (he's 7).

Asrial
04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
PS. Load your bag with cheap balls. You're going to run through a lot of them. Wal-Mart has boxes usually on sale for around 5 bucks for 12 to 15 balls (Top Flight, etc.).What I do is get a bucket of range balls each session and use those.

When I'm good enough that the quality of ball makes a difference.. I'll also be good enough to prevent them getting lost.

Gan
04-04-2010, 02:43 PM
What I do is get a bucket of range balls each session and use those.

When I'm good enough that the quality of ball makes a difference.. I'll also be good enough to prevent them getting lost.

So you plan on using ranged balls forever?

:whistle:

All of the courses I've played on will not allow you to use range balls outside of the range.

When I started out I usually used markouts. With the deals you can find nowdays - you can pick up a box of 18 cheap Top Flights on sale for about the same price as a bag of markouts.

You'll want to match balls to your hitting style. I have a very hard swing (lifetime of baseball) so I prefer soft Balata covers at 90 compression (climate is also a factor in compression consideration). Soft covers means I go through a lot of balls from tearing them up and of course not avoiding water hazards... (tin cup syndrome)

Keller
04-04-2010, 04:09 PM
First thing you want to do is make sure you get the right shaft length.

That's what she said.

RichardCranium
04-04-2010, 05:08 PM
That's what she said.

My condolences.

Gan
04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Guess I should have mentioned nice thick shafts as well... you know, for durability. This goes along with some moderate flex.

:whistle:

(Yes, you should have known the potential for this thread to tank this fast.)