PDA

View Full Version : Fame List Changes

CrystalTears
07-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Do you like the new changes that have been implemented of only first name fame is listed rather than last name? Do you currently have your characters on the fame list and/or have fame available?

Incidentally, Soulpieced, how come you aren't listed on the fame list but we can see your fame? Have you not checked into the inn since the change? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Soulpieced
07-26-2003, 09:49 AM
No, I merely turned my fame off because I don't care to be associated with the bards. If your fame is off and you check in, you will be taken off the list. You could then turn your fame on and have it visible, but not be on the list. For the record, I would be 15 with 108350240.

I personally don't really care for the change. However, it was necessary as Tarakan was at, and some others were approaching the 2.147 billion magic number. Which for those who don't know is 2 to the 31st power, and the max number of bits that can be held. So the numbers were changed for coding reasons, not shits and giggles.

Soulpieced
07-26-2003, 09:51 AM
Also, the only thing I like about the name thing is now I can distinguish between new and old peons (whether they have a last name). My only peeve is that my warrior lost approximately 400 million fame, and some others who rerolled and had a bit of history behind them (Blueland/Greentide) are also no longer known.

CrystalTears
07-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
No, I merely turned my fame off because I don't care to be associated with the bards. If your fame is off and you check in, you will be taken off the list. You could then turn your fame on and have it visible, but not be on the list. For the record, I would be 15 with 108350240.

Heh, that's what I figured you did. Thanks. :)

Soulpieced
07-26-2003, 09:54 AM
And I would have been halfway to 154 by now if this stupid war nonsense hadn't disgustingly impeeded my picking business.

Askip
07-26-2003, 10:05 AM
I'm not listed because I turn fame off before I check in. I just do not feel I should be more 'famous' than many of the mages who are below me on the list. With 50+ million fame, there are many names that I rank above who are deservedly more reknown. All I did was to often underhunt or hunt fried.

However, I do turn fame on again after I leave the mangler. For one I find it useful when I am buying high-end gear. Folks can be more willing to trust someone who has been around for a while, and I often want them to pass me the item for testing before I will give them a note.

:D

Soulpieced
07-26-2003, 10:22 AM
In regards to Askip talking about merchanting. It still boggles my mind why idiots buy mystery notes from people nobody has ever heard of who have their fame disabled. It just doesn't make sense.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Because idiots will buy mysteries. That is all.

Bobmuhthol
07-26-2003, 12:52 PM
<<Also, the only thing I like about the name thing is now I can distinguish between new and old peons (whether they have a last name).>>

Am I the only person who hides their last name? I cringe whenever I see Lord Idiot REALLYSTUPIDNAME. You'd think if they have the worst name in the world they'd turn it off, but my arrival window says otherwise.

imported_Kranar
07-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Now that I can finally hide my levels to everyone, I keep my fame off. I think it's still a great system, but I'd rather no one knows what level I am so I disabled it.

Scott
07-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Kranar
Now that I can finally hide my levels to everyone, I keep my fame off. I think it's still a great system, but I'd rather no one knows what level I am so I disabled it.

It'd be nice if they took the levels off the list and just kept your name/fame/prof/race/class. I think levels being on the list is why so many people have their fame off.

imported_Kranar
07-26-2003, 01:06 PM
You can usually guess someone's level by their fame.

Scott
07-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Some you can, some you can't. Some of my characters aren't anywhere near some of the characters levels around them on the fame list. (Some less, some more) But I guess I see your point.....

Chyrain
07-26-2003, 03:25 PM
sheesh...my empath is about 30 trains over my ranger, yet only has a mil more fame. I'd hope that people don't judge her ability to buy high end gear or kick their asses by her relatively low fame.

it's not my fault I can train without hunting.

Edaarin
07-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Heh. Edarin and Edaarin are both the same level, but Edarin has about 4.5m more fame. But that's just because I don't care to hunt Edaarin past the point of having a full mind just for fame.

And I really don't care who can see what level I am, doesn't make too much difference.

StrayRogue
07-27-2003, 12:48 AM
Its useful for looking at common Profession/Race combinations, its also a good way of identifying, as SP said, older people. I like the system, though I wouldn't scream and cry if it was taken away.