PDA

View Full Version : is there such thing as a swinging cleric anymore?

SourD
03-18-2010, 11:57 PM
is there such thing as a swinging cleric anymore?
and if so you think a two handed one ? any idea how the most benificial to train would be?

Clipt
03-19-2010, 12:36 AM
My cleric swings a sancted claidhmore and it's fun. He' 20 at the moment, not sure how reliable it will be at the later trains.

As far as training...

(at level 20), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 96 22
Combat Maneuvers...................| 96 22
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 96 22
Physical Fitness...................| 90 20
Arcane Symbols.....................| 90 20
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 96 22
Spirit Mana Control................| 96 22
Survival...........................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 90 20
Climbing...........................| 35 7
Swimming...........................| 35 7

Spell Lists
Major Spirit.......................| 17

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 4

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 20

That's the training I am using and it's working for me. I'm sure there are alot of better builds around.

You swing a pale white steel claidhmore at a zombie!
AS: +230 vs DS: +112 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +11 = +157
... and hit for 89 points of damage!
Incredible smash to what used to be a stomach!
The zombie falls to the ground, a lifeless lump of flesh.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

You swing a pale white steel claidhmore at a zombie!
AS: +230 vs DS: +121 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +35 = +172
... and hit for 76 points of damage!
Neck removed, head falls to the ground.
The zombie falls to the ground, a lifeless lump of flesh.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Grab 215 as soon as possible if you do go the swinging route.

Jace Solo
03-21-2010, 12:48 PM
I know one that has been swinging into her mid 50's. Haven't been on in two months but I'll bet she's near 60 now.

TheEschaton
03-21-2010, 01:52 PM
I've heard of some swinging clerics, but their preferences run towards boys, not the wives of their friends.

WRoss
03-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Swinging as a cleric really isn't an option as a main hunting style much past 60. The DS of critters just outpaces the AS you can generate. I believe, at cap, a giantman cleric without enhancives can only generate a 430 AS with strength. That isn't very high.

Jace Solo
03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
How much AS lower is a swinging clerics that say...a swinging Empath?

I know I've seen your numbers before but I didn't log them so....

WRoss
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
+55 AS/DS from 1130

Edit: If I cap out blessing lore I'll be at about 506 self spelled AS with 6x.

Asrial
03-21-2010, 02:37 PM
By the time you reach a point where swinging will be unviable.. you'll have a fixskills to change your training.

Warriorbird
03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Apparently there is such a thing as a swinging cleric.

http://www.churchtimes.co.uk/content.asp?id=66176

Loyrl
03-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Can only remember one swinging cleric and that was from GS3, Jabee. I don't know how high he got but I remember him in Bonespear. And yeah that 430AS isn't very high at cap. It's to bad, a swinging cleric would be fun IMO.

nub
03-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I made my giantman cleric when repelling was still around, so I could swing and repell pretty well. Then they neutrered repell, then they neutered swinging clerics (for god knows why). They made sure that there was one path that outshined every other path for the cleric.

StrayRogue
03-21-2010, 06:25 PM
A lot of GS3 Clerics also went the hide/ambush route (when you only needed 40 ranks of Ambush). 430 AS is low at cap. At 66 my rogue generates more AS.

Ryvicke
03-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Guennhafyr (or one of the seventy retarded spellings of that name in game) is a swinging cleric in her 80s or 90s? She posts on the officials as THROGG. Read the cleric boards, she posts her stats/tactics a ton. She also occasionally just throws out random nuggets about her in-game lesbianism.

Kitsun
03-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Melée clerics changed professions into paladins. No reason to struggle with a mutant build unless you enjoy sucking. Throgg is a moron.

Kuyuk
03-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Now that Clerics sucks at swinging, they should nerf every other profession to bring their AS in line with clerics at cap...

WRoss
03-21-2010, 07:37 PM
201 from weapon style
50 from CMAN training
40 from str bonus, giantman
30 from heroism (going to assume that a cleric has 50 blessing)
15 from benediction
15 from bravery
15 from strength
20 from 4x weapon
35 from COL

total 421 AS at 100

There ya go. I think that my 500 AS is too low at times. I can only imagine how bad this would suck.

Kitsun
03-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Society bonus

WRoss
03-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Society bonus

Fixed.

Also, it is incredibly unfair that clerics get the cheapest CMAN and armor use out of any of the pures, but they are the worst swingers.

Asrial
03-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Can only remember one swinging cleric and that was from GS3, Jabee.Back in the day when there was an undead gap, repel undead only worked on undead, and ambush only required a minimum of 40 ranks to be effective.. swinging clerics were the hotness 70+. This was also before paladins and the highest creature was 155ish or something.

Asrial
03-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Guenhafyr is capped (average speed) and claims that two-handed weapon use is what got her there.

Also, Kitsun is a member of the "fuck the roses.. 100 here I come!" club.

Unless you severely nerf yourself.. any hunting path will work until ~70 (particularly because 2x spell training is fine until then).

My advice? Focus more on what will make your character enjoyable to play and less on 'are you doing it right' until you get closer to cap. By the time you reach that point, you'll have a fixskills to re-evaluate with.

Kitsun
03-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Meh. I am only sorta in that club. If you want to be a holy fighter, I envision a paladin. If you want to be different and it fits your RP, I say, "GO FOR EET!" But Throgg presents his style of play like it is the ultimate training path when he admittedly uses spells as a primary and all those TPs goes into the finishing blow.

Asha
03-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Fixed.

Also, it is incredibly unfair that clerics get the cheapest CMAN and armor use out of any of the pures, but they are the worst swingers.

No, it would be unfair if they had the highest cman and armour use costs.

audioserf
03-24-2010, 06:39 AM
So how did melee clerics get nerfed? In GS3 I ran a cleric fully singled in CM/Armor/OHE/shield/THW and it was insanely awesome... ran him up to the low 40s before quitting the game. From what I can tell, the only thing removed from Clerics was Zealot? And, in contrast, Empaths gained a ton of physical AS, which sort of nerfs melee clerics by association?

Bummer.

Asha
03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Creature DS went up quite a bit, I believe.

StrayRogue
03-24-2010, 01:52 PM
So how did melee clerics get nerfed? In GS3 I ran a cleric fully singled in CM/Armor/OHE/shield/THW and it was insanely awesome... ran him up to the low 40s before quitting the game. From what I can tell, the only thing removed from Clerics was Zealot? And, in contrast, Empaths gained a ton of physical AS, which sort of nerfs melee clerics by association?

Bummer.

You can get to low 40's with practically any build. The same was true of GS3 as well, if not more so.

These days you need to fully single Ambush for it to be in anyway effective, and CM doesn't add to DS like it used to.

audioserf
03-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Really? Shit I've been back for two months and I didn't know that about CM.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Guenhafyr is capped (average speed) and claims that two-handed weapon use is what got her there.

Also, Kitsun is a member of the "fuck the roses.. 100 here I come!" club.

Unless you severely nerf yourself.. any hunting path will work until ~70 (particularly because 2x spell training is fine until then).

My advice? Focus more on what will make your character enjoyable to play and less on 'are you doing it right' until you get closer to cap. By the time you reach that point, you'll have a fixskills to re-evaluate with.

This is my philosophy. I seriously doubt I'll even get to 70, though, since I do a lot of stuff besides hunting.

Arulisse is OHB, though I cast with her too.. it depends on what she's hunting (uphunting, in a group, is there a wizard with her, etc). I am yet to encounter any problems with my style of play, I just make sure to spell her up all the way, she has good armor and her weapon is a perfect morning star, so I give her advantages where I can. I figure if the time comes that she becomes difficult to hunt, I can use a fixskills and switch things around.

Elvenlady
03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Arulisse is OHB, though I cast with her too.. it depends on what she's hunting (uphunting, in a group, is there a wizard with her, etc). I am yet to encounter any problems with my style of play, I just make sure to spell her up all the way, she has good armor and her weapon is a perfect morning star, so I give her advantages where I can. I figure if the time comes that she becomes difficult to hunt, I can use a fixskills and switch things around.

That's pretty much what I did with Rohese. She used a 5x eonake falchion until I decided it was no longer viable for her (late 20s if I remember correctly when she joined Voln) then fixskilled her to brawling and shield. I'm sure it's possible to effectively take it to higher levels with the right spell up and gear. Definitely not an option in capped hunting grounds though since a nice weapon would soon be lost.

Fallen
03-24-2010, 03:17 PM
It depends on how you like to hunt. Extremely difficult hunting is available 1-100, especially if you hunt well over your level. Should you do that you need to worry about gear and optimization all the way up to cap.

droit
03-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Kaedra just picked up 1x OHB and some MoC for the purposes of whacking Vvrael destroyers (108th level) with a perfect morning star. I think the star is currently being enchanted, so she hasn't really tried it out yet. Her AS is pretty low (low 400s), but on destroyer hunts she'll probably be able to keep 117 up a lot of the time since she isn't using much mana.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
03-24-2010, 11:39 PM
That's pretty much what I did with Rohese. She used a 5x eonake falchion until I decided it was no longer viable for her (late 20s if I remember correctly when she joined Voln) then fixskilled her to brawling and shield. I'm sure it's possible to effectively take it to higher levels with the right spell up and gear. Definitely not an option in capped hunting grounds though since a nice weapon would soon be lost.
Aru is early 30's, no problem yet. I don't imagine I'll have much of an issue unless I get to a series of levels that requires pure casting.. I can handle pure casting hunts intermingled with my normal ones. Once I get her to a level where losing weapons, etc becomes more common (IF I get her to that level) I fully intend to fixskills her.

Honestly though there's something intensely satisfying about having a shy, sweet half-sylph who happens to also be proficient at bashing in the skull/face of various things.

TheEschaton
03-25-2010, 02:33 PM
(pos) is there such thing as... 03-24-2010 06:47 AM Zing! - K

I can't believe it took THREE DAYS to acknowledge how awesome my post was on this subject. WB was the only one to even begin to take the same tack as me.

Sean
03-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Kaedra just picked up 1x OHB and some MoC for the purposes of whacking Vvrael destroyers (108th level) with a perfect morning star. I think the star is currently being enchanted, so she hasn't really tried it out yet. Her AS is pretty low (low 400s), but on destroyer hunts she'll probably be able to keep 117 up a lot of the time since she isn't using much mana.

Is her DS good enough to leave off 102?

droit
03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Is her DS good enough to leave off 102?

Yeah, she has a better self-spelled offensive DS without 102 than I do--around 500 or so, if I remember correctly.