PDA

View Full Version : Social Interaction with Colleagues.

TheEschaton
03-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Alright, here's the thing.

I put in 4 weeks notice about....4 weeks ago....and Friday is my last day. My colleagues want to throw me a going-away party, but I'm not really the type to really enjoy these sorta things. I want to just tell them, just forget about it. However, these people are pushy, and all about office camraderie, even though my work takes me out of the office constantly, and I'll have to cancel appointments just to show up at my own "sending off party".

How do you tell your colleagues, "Hey, I like you guys...but yanno, I don't really want to hang out with you"?

-TheE-

Galleazzo
03-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Make some excuse? Tell them your mother needs you, so sorry, and you'll be real sure to call them first thing to set something up.

I hear you, guy. I hate things like that myself. Short of the Navy, I pick my friends outside of work, and office parties suck wet toad rim.

HarmNone
03-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Why not tell them the truth. If you prefer not to mix business and pleasure, there is nothing wrong with that. Just tell them you are happy to be their coworker, but that you do not socialize with coworkers outside work. Works for me. :shrug:

HarmNone

Artha
03-24-2004, 05:23 PM
You're probably not going to see them for a long time, if ever.

Tell them they suck at life and you don't want to be there with them.

TheEschaton
03-24-2004, 05:26 PM
It's not even outside of work, HN. They want to do it at the end of the workday, which would mean I'd have to cancel appointments to be there.

Maybe it's my fault for having appointments on my last day...<g>

-TheE-

Soulpieced
03-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Tell them they suck at life AND Gemstone, that should get the point through.

DeV
03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Why dont you just leave right after you get off. You are never going back there after all.

I hate those types of things also... I prefer to just slip into the shadows and never look back.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Why burn bridges, just tell them the truth that you desire not to have a going away party, and it impacts your ability to do your job on the last day.

Meos
03-24-2004, 05:33 PM
If there's gonna be drinks, Cancel the appointments.

If it's cakes and party hats, tell them to get some booze and you'll come. That's what I'd do anyway.

HarmNone
03-24-2004, 05:47 PM
If you have appointments, to cancel them would be irresponsible, in my opinion. That is exactly what I would tell the party-prone coworkers. I would have no problem telling them the truth. :)

HarmNone

Drew2
03-24-2004, 06:15 PM
From my 19 year old perspective, I say party. From my ability to think beyond my age occasionally, I say listen to HarmNone.

Soulpieced
03-24-2004, 06:38 PM
I'd definitely say that you have appointments that are more important than a "going away party". And that you can't cancel them.

HarmNone
03-24-2004, 06:42 PM
::gasp:: Tayre told someone to listen to MEeeee!:O

Somebody roll that fainting couch over here. I think I am going to need it!

HarmNone, a study in disbelief

Latrinsorm
03-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Set fire to the building.

Ravenstorm
03-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Suggest that it start an hour or so earlier than planned as you have appointments scheduled for after work that you are unable to break. And if it can't be during work hours, well. It's not your fault then. If it can be, you can just suck it up and be nice to them for an hour. You know, the whole compassion and love thy fellow man thing.

Raven

Anebriated
03-24-2004, 07:28 PM
At the end of the day go into your bosses office, grab the stapler and run.

on a serious note id say use the appointments as your excuse not to party with them. Youd be doing the responsible thing by keeping them and you dont have to face your coworkers.

DeV
03-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Elrodin
Office Space!

Atlanteax
03-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold

Originally posted by Elrodin
Office Space!

Possibly one of the greatest movies of this day and age... especially if you've been part of that culture. :D

Mint
03-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Kindness to others is never misplaced. Allowing others to feel good about themselves is a kindness and making them feel badly about wanting to throw a party in your honor is unkind in my opinion. It also seems a bit petty really. So what Raven said...suck it up and paste a smile on.

Warriorbird
03-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Say that your family wants to see a lot of you before you leave.

Drew2
03-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
::gasp:: Tayre told someone to listen to MEeeee!:O

Somebody roll that fainting couch over here. I think I am going to need it!

HarmNone, a study in disbelief

Do you think I think you're stupid or something? Or do you think that just because I act a fool 95% of the time it means I can't recognize wisdom and experience when I see it?

Either way, whatever.

[lolz i can't type]

[Edited on 3-27-2004 by Tayre]

HarmNone
03-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Silly Tayre! I was teasing you, ya doofus! :lol:

HarmNone thanks you for the compliment, Tayre, and sends you bunches of smooches

03-27-2004, 09:30 AM
will going to this going away part give you a better chance to do the hot girl in the office TheE?

TheEschaton
03-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah, it definately would.

The problem is, the hot girl in the office is 25.....and has a 10 year old son.

Like I said, I work on the East Side.

-TheE-

03-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Yes BUT you said your going into the peace corps right?

GSLeloo
03-27-2004, 10:52 AM
I have so much fun with my colleagues... maybe that's cause we're all between 16-25 (except for Ken whose fun in a boring nerd way and a really sweet guy). We go out to movies and dinner and basketball games. It's pretty fun. I never really found anything bad about them and the people who are pushy or weird or smelly we exclude. In fact, Thanae and Lisa (also my classmates) make names for everyone.. which has been anything from Fungus, Frodo, Fugly, and Godfather.

TheEschaton
03-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Exactly, in 2 and a half months, which is the excuse I used for not going after her 4 months ago. ;)

-TheE-

03-27-2004, 11:12 AM
So hit it until you leave, or wait a month.