PDA

View Full Version : Vornavis Spring Awards to be Held in Solhaven

MokiePrime
03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
A clipping from the Vornavis Gazette reads:

By decree of Baron Dunrith Malwind, this year's Spring Awards Ceremony will depart from its traditional location in the Grand Hall of Vornavis Keep and instead be held in Solhaven near the Beacon Monument.

A member of the Baron's inner circle stated, "Baron Malwind believes that the citizenry of Solhaven must be honored for their defense of Vornavian and Imperial interests, even when it meant great cost to their lives and livelihoods." The Baron himself has declined to comment on a motivation for the surprising move.

Superstition still keeps some Vornavian nobles and commoners from visiting the city of Solhaven, which was miraculously reconstructed by visiting members of the Hall of Mages after the town was destroyed by a freak tidal wave. Sir Vectrus Kestrel Ranheles, the Knight of the Empire known in some circles as the Mage Knight, has taken up permanent residence in Vornavis since the incident and continues to serve as the Baron's chief magical advisor. Months of earthquakes had plagued the frequently-beleaguered city, blamed by its rural inhabitants upon water demons from a parallel valence.

Rumors have begun to abound that Lord Paidreg Venquinor may seek permission from the Baron to attend to the ceremony. The reclusive provost of Solhaven's alleged deathwort-inflicted destruction and revival have sparked major religious debates. Still in joint custody of the Church of Koar and the Vornavian Guard, Venquinor has been the subject of a drawn-out hearing whose intent is determining whether he is a living being or a new form of undead abomination. His duties as provost have been suspended until the matter is decided, though advocates on both sides of the issue warned that its resolution would not be swift.

The awards ceremony for the Solhaven Cataclysm storyline will be held on Saturday, March 27th, at 8:00 PM Eastern Time. All players are welcome. The following honorees have been announced:

Aydan
Belnia
Bristenn
Droit
Earthdiver
Evelith
Guarrin
Kateerina
Kilthal
Kyaloria
Metadi
Meureii
Misun
Nilandia
Raelee
Sereh
Shannivar
Tebon
Tillmen
Vender
Yukito

Auchand

Said the road to the frog.

Askip
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Gratz folks, well played.

:D

Drew
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I notice my name is conspicuously lacking from that list!

Fallen
03-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I notice my name is conspicuously lacking from that list!

What, did you shout words of encouragement from Icemule?

WRoss
03-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I'm really pissed. I lived in Solhaven for that invasion and helped out constantly. WTF?

audioserf
03-18-2010, 06:41 AM
I wasn't playing when all of that stuff was going down, but since I'm living in Solhaven currently, I'll swing by to check out the ceremony if I'm in game at the time.

Congrats to all involved.

WRoss: is it possible that you slacked on sucking Auchand off on the officials? That could explain it.

Sweets
03-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I'm really pissed. I lived in Solhaven for that invasion and helped out constantly. WTF?

Are you a citizen of Solhaven? If not, that may explain why you're not getting an award.

audioserf
03-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Are you a citizen of Solhaven? If not, that may explain why you're not getting an award.

Oh, that. That's a lot less cynical than my theory but you're probably right if he's not a citizen.

WRoss
03-18-2010, 07:26 AM
There are quite a few people on that list that aren't citizens.

Ker_Thwap
03-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Did you hang around for the RP bits as well, or just slay critters? Not that I imagine a few others on that list actually RPed at all.

My contribution to the scenario was to call out Padreig on the Gnome unfriendly environment IC and Auchand on the young player unfriendliness of the scenario OOC. (Both of those points were actually addressed)

I also bitched about how he relegated the paying customers to mere spectators at the end to watching the gods play, despite numerous clues that the gods would not be helping us out of the situation.

All in all a really long drawn out attention deficit driven scenario that ended stupidly. Like 90% of scenarios in all text based games, the GM character does the trite martyr routine. It started out well, but lacked consistency, lacked focus, and turned into garbage.

At least I know why my character isn't on the list. :)

audioserf
03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
I haven't been in game/Solhaven long but Aydan is pretty awesome. When my character is around Aydan in game I really get the feeling that I'm watching a tactical/political mind drop knowledge. When I'm not at a table between hunts I hang at N. Market if he's around because I know there's a good chance things will get interesting.

Short version: two thumbs up for Aydan/his player.

Drew
03-18-2010, 01:45 PM
What, did you shout words of encouragement from Icemule?

How dare you sir. This quest was the location where I invented the Droit ballista.

MotleyCrew
03-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah, just what the game needs. To pat these backs...again.

DCSL
03-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah, just what the game needs. To pat these backs...again.

Heh! If it's not their first time then that means they are just more experienced at the quest thing.

MotleyCrew
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Heh! If it's not their first time then that means they are just more experienced at the quest thing.

Not what I ment. They have already been rewarded, had parties, celebrations, a couple of them we're even given special pre-titles.
It's been done.

DCSL
03-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Not what I ment. They have already been rewarded, had parties, celebrations, a couple of them we're even given special pre-titles.
It's been done.

I actually retyped that response a few times. The first time was more "quest whores are quest whores and always will be forever until the end of time" but then I realized that a few of the people on that list are people I like even if I haven't spoken to them in years so I tried to be nicer about it. But yeah. Seeing the same people over and over again IS annoying.

Latrinsorm
03-18-2010, 09:07 PM
What, did you shout words of encouragement from Icemule?This was a very funny comment. Solhaven sucks.

Asrial
03-18-2010, 10:34 PM
But yeah. Seeing the same people over and over again IS annoying.There are a couple of people on that list that DO deserve this recognition and I hope they (all) get something really special.

audioserf
03-19-2010, 06:31 AM
So that's how folks got 'Protector' prename titles. I saw those people and started combing the profession-specific title lists trying to figure it out.

Pretty cool. On one hand it's kind of frustrating if the same folks continue to get recognized, but really... nothing we can do about it if that's going to happen. If it leads to a fun time in-game, why not enjoy it?

Drew
03-19-2010, 08:26 AM
To be honest I had never heard of Aydan or Tillmen before this quest began (Auchand said the same thing about Aydan). Some people are just drawn to quests AND have a lot of free time. That's what it takes to get recognized and so you're going to have those people get recognized more often, but it's something anyone can do. You just have to be willing to put in time and effort.

Fallen
03-19-2010, 08:30 AM
To be honest I had never heard of Aydan or Tillmen before this quest began (Auchand said the same thing about Aydan). Some people are just drawn to quests AND have a lot of free time. That's what it takes to get recognized and so you're going to have those people get recognized more often, but it's something anyone can do. You just have to be willing to put in time and effort.

And be in Solhaven.

To be fair, Solhaven is the land of epic quests. Some people live there. Therefore, they participate in many a quest. I've never been fond of the area, as I don't like the town's layout or general description. The sad thing is, when GMs run quests in (some) other cities, they literally have to scream at the people in town to participate in any goings on.

Drew
03-19-2010, 08:33 AM
You know that is a good point. I'd like to see more quests in Icemule because people really do participate there, and obviously RR has a lot of storylines going on, but Solhaven people really do take to quests like a fish to water. I'd say all the other cities run the gamut from mild interest to apathy.

Fallen
03-19-2010, 08:43 AM
You know that is a good point. I'd like to see more quests in Icemule because people really do participate there, and obviously RR has a lot of storylines going on, but Solhaven people really do take to quests like a fish to water. I'd say all the other cities run the gamut from mild interest to apathy.

Agreed. Icemule, The Landing, and Solhaven can all support quests at pretty much any time of day or night. River's Rest, Teras, and Ta'Vaalor could likely support quests only at peak play times, and with continuous efforts by the GMs. Ta'Illistim HAS good roleplayers, like Rohese and Linsha, but 2 people does not a quest make. The other towns may as well not even exist.

Drew
03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
And isn't Rohese more of a Vaalorian as well? Also I think you might be surprised to see how (relatively) large RR is and how many storylines Scribes runs down there.

Fallen
03-19-2010, 09:12 AM
And isn't Rohese more of a Vaalorian as well? Also I think you might be surprised to see how (relatively) large RR is and how many storylines Scribes runs down there.

Scribes was, is, and will always be the man. I've a lot of respect for his work.

kookiegod
03-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Scribes was, is, and will always be the man. I've a lot of respect for his work.

Ditto, he's good people. Others I am particularly impressed with are Naionna for her work in plat, Itzel, Xynwen, and Bazar.

~Paul

Tolwynn
03-19-2010, 09:42 AM
The sad thing is, when GMs run quests in (some) other cities, they literally have to scream at the people in town to participate in any goings on.

Participate in enough quests, and you find out they're usally dominated by quest whores and/or GM sycophants. Unsurprisingly, GMs tend to pander to those circles first as well. Combine the two, and you end up with an environment that typically ranges from indifferent to hostile to 'outsiders.'

The straw that broke things for me was when a minor quest involving an Ivasian priestess started with her talking of having lost something. Perigourd and Missoni flew from across the known world, and were joined by other quest whores as well - all because someone said they lost something. Where is the logic or consistency or rp in that?

Beguiler
03-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Well, FWIW, don't post on the Officials unless you're wearing your sycophant panties, because one criticism will set off all the 'OMG, GM so-and-so is GOD, how dare you dis him/her?' chorus-lines.

Pretty much that's why I stopped reading/posting on the Officials. Oh, and thank you to those who repost the important announcements here or I'd never see them!

There are some really good folks, both players/GMs who post and are sensible. But there are some...

Marl
03-19-2010, 10:35 AM

yea i can second that, he always has something going on down in RR

DCSL
03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Being a quest follower is hard, I imagine. It really is a lot of time and effort, as someone said. I mean, you have to be there for everything, or as near everything as you can. Unless you've got a direct pipeline to the GM running it (and most of them do not, despite the rumors) you've just got to be lucky and diligent to catch the right time for the action and have the right combination of skills or character traits or what-have-you.

I was going to sign in with my Solhaven character yesterday afternoon and wander around but someone told me in IMs that there was questy fun going on right at that exact moment so I didn't sign in at all. I would have felt really awkward just showing up like that out of nowhere. I've always had a problem with that. So I fail at questing.

But you get what you put into the game. You put a lot of time and effort into questing and you eventually get recognized for it. Or you be like me and become a heinous merchant whore and people start noticing that too, heh. You just gotta pick what's fun for you and work within that frame. Work being the operative word because, no matter what, it will be hard.

Fallen
03-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Participate in enough quests, and you find out they're usally dominated by quest whores and/or GM sycophants. Unsurprisingly, GMs tend to pander to those circles first as well. Combine the two, and you end up with an environment that typically ranges from indifferent to hostile to 'outsiders.'

The straw that broke things for me was when a minor quest involving an Ivasian priestess started with her talking of having lost something. Perigourd and Missoni flew from across the known world, and were joined by other quest whores as well - all because someone said they lost something. Where is the logic or consistency or rp in that?

I agree with you that when people travel at warp speed across the realms to involve themselves in a quest, it is often considered terrible form. Yes. I understand that some people will travel ANYWHERE for an event if it involves Roleplay X (Your patron, your race, your profession). This excuse is completely valid for most people, but if you are considered one who is already heavily active in quests, you may NOT want to jump into a quest you weren't originally involved in, even if it might be important to your chosen interests. Share the wealth and all that.

That being said, I still stand by my statement that Itzel (Voraviel and Hadlir before her) have to pull teeth to get people involved in their quests in Ta'Illistim. Why? Because most that stay there don't care about roleplay, or have the time to devote to a quest. So what happens? Either the GM gives up, or your "Quest whores" hear pleas for help/interaction repeatedly being sent out from across the spines and join in. It's a lose/lose for the GM.

Being a quest follower is hard, I imagine. It really is a lot of time and effort, as someone said. I mean, you have to be there for everything, or as near everything as you can. Unless you've got a direct pipeline to the GM running it (and most of them do not, despite the rumors) you've just got to be lucky and diligent to catch the right time for the action and have the right combination of skills or character traits or what-have-you.

I was going to sign in with my Solhaven character yesterday afternoon and wander around but someone told me in IMs that there was questy fun going on right at that exact moment so I didn't sign in at all. I would have felt really awkward just showing up like that out of nowhere. I've always had a problem with that. So I fail at questing.

But you get what you put into the game. You put a lot of time and effort into questing and you eventually get recognized for it. Or you be like me and become a heinous merchant whore and people start noticing that too, heh. You just gotta pick what's fun for you and work within that frame. Work being the operative word because, no matter what, it will be hard.

Most rational people wont begrudge citizens of Solhaven being staying involved in quests involving their home town. Or, if they do, they're dumb. It is when these same people also involve themselves in quests in Ta'Vaalor, and Icemule, and the Landing that it starts to get ridiculous. Yes, sometimes you're following RP to a new town from the same quest, and other times the quest involves RP that is important to you, but at some point you need to draw the line.

Merchanting is a different story altogether. I see absolutely nothing wrong with going to every single merchant event you can. As long as you don't waste people's time, it is often the ONLY way you can get these services done short of paying as much as a hundred dollars a ticket for festival work.

Asrial
03-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Another thing about Solhaven and River's Rest specifically is that they both have very active GM's.

IMO, those places have become their sand boxes.

As a player, who primarily sticks to Teras, it's frustrating to watch those towns get activity year round and others get table scraps (at best).

Misun
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Most rational people wont begrudge citizens of Solhaven being staying involved in quests involving their home town. Or, if they do, they're dumb. It is when these same people also involve themselves in quests in Ta'Vaalor, and Icemule, and the Landing that it starts to get ridiculous. Yes, sometimes you're following RP to a new town from the same quest, and other times the quest involves RP that is important to you, but at some point you need to draw the line.

I don't like leaving Solhaven. There hasn't been anything else that would be of interest or direct concern to Misun other than something that happened in RR recently but only as an outsider. I also like when others come from other places and get involved, it's just when they start warping their characters to fit the situation and try to take over is when it gets to be an issue. I say the more the merrier because it's no fun rp'ing alone although some people prefer that.

Fallen
03-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't like leaving Solhaven. There hasn't been anything else that would be of interest or direct concern to Misun other than something that happened in RR recently but only as an outsider. I also like when others come from other places and get involved, it's just when they start warping their characters to fit the situation and try to take over is when it gets to be an issue. I say the more the merrier because it's no fun rp'ing alone although some people prefer that.

I hear you. I do also know that it can be very hard for those outside of the Solhaven townies to get involved in the goings-on there. I have spoken with a few people who have tried to jump into some of the RP there, and basically felt left in the dark. Yes, it isn't everyone's duty to stop and explain everything as soon as someone is asked, and that might even be against their roleplay, but the effort should be made. This isn't exactly towards you, it is more addressing a common theme I hear surrounding Solhaven. People KNOW there are quests going on there 24-7. It is just either they are too intimidated to try to jump in, or they try and feel like they are left hanging.

Praefection
03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Speaking from my own personal experience whenever I've brought one of my unknown personalities into Solhaven I've had a hell of a time getting information out of anyone. I got the impression that if you aren't able to spend X amount of time waiting for something to happen you're just going to be left out anyway. Honestly, I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

Edit:

Or I'd have the time waiting for something to crop up but something would happen and everyone in the know would know about it but those who had no idea wtf was going on were still left standing around.

audioserf
03-19-2010, 01:43 PM
People KNOW there are quests going on there 24-7. It is just either they are too intimidated to try to jump in, or they try and feel like they are left hanging.

When things were going on in Solhaven last night I didn't have to try too hard to become involved in the roleplay at North Market. I had to leave abruptly or I would have seen it through to the end. And this is coming from someone with really no roleplay background who has generally been more into the hunting/mechanics side of GS3/4.

I was actually surprised how easy it was to get involved...

Misun
03-19-2010, 01:49 PM
I hear you. I do also know that it can be very hard for those outside of the Solhaven townies to get involved in the goings-on there. I have spoken with a few people who have tried to jump into some of the RP there, and basically felt left in the dark. Yes, it isn't everyone's duty to stop and explain everything as soon as someone is asked, and that might even be against their roleplay, but the effort should be made. This isn't exactly towards you, it is more addressing a common theme I hear surrounding Solhaven. People KNOW there are quests going on there 24-7. It is just either they are too intimidated to try to jump in, or they try and feel like they are left hanging.

I understand and I know it's not directed at me. For myself, it's hard for me to give out much information to people because I am not always fully understanding what is going on anyway and I'm not the best at explaining it. During the last storyline I know people were coming in at the end and asking what was happening and for me, I just couldn't go through an entire year of explaining what has been happening especially since I was kind of preoccupied with Misun's insanity and it would have been ooc of her to do so. I would ooc'ly though if I had the chance and capabilities to do it justice.

I do make an effort to help though but it's not always easy when something is really going down and I'm just trying to pay attention myself. (I have BIG font and try to keep up.) But I know people's experiences are valid. I have witnessed the 'cold shoulder' myself and I don't know if it's a matter of timing or something else but I'm sorry people feel that way and I still encourage them to come around.

There was a time that things were going on 24-7 but for the most part they aren't. Many days and nights have been spent doing nothing but personal rp or our own player-made stories. Trust me, there has been A LOT of downtime recently and there has been times I am left just standing there...glancing around at others because nothing is going on, GM or player driven.

A little disclaimer here as well, Misun isn't always that approachable, she is much more now than she's been in the past but she's still not a giggly, huggy, happy-go-lucky type of gal so if she's a little short with people, it's not that the player is saying 'Go away, I don't want to play with you.', it's that it's just the way she is.

DCSL
03-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Trust me, there has been A LOT of downtime recently and there has been times I am left just standing there...glancing around at others because nothing is going on, GM or player driven.

What, the human elitist drama hasn't been enough for you? XD Kidding. It's been amusing the hell out of me. Nothing like a good verbal throwdown.

Misun
03-19-2010, 02:00 PM
What, the human elitist drama hasn't been enough for you? XD Kidding. It's been amusing the hell out of me. Nothing like a good verbal throwdown.

Oh, it is very amusing! Always awkward though being a human during those moments and not having the same views as other humans. Kind of that guilt by association thing.

Drew
03-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Specifically regarding last night people did a good job of grabbing everyone in the North Market to take them to the temple of Ronan. That is also on the GM, you really need to "rumble the ground" a little bit and then wait 10 minutes so IMs can be sent or hunters can come back in and people can be gathered up who want to come.

DCSL
03-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Oh, it is very amusing! Always awkward though being a human during those moments and not having the same views as other humans. Kind of that guilt by association thing.

A little racial tension makes Elanthia go 'round!

Guarrin
03-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I can certainly understand how people can feel it is difficult to get involved in Haven's RP. As someone that has had their character call the town 'home' for many years, I still find it difficult to get involved sometimes. I'm not certain whether that is because of the exclusive tendencies of some of the town's citizens, my lack of free time, or, because my character is not exactly out going/friendly. Regardless it can, and does, happen.

I wish it didn't, simply because it can get boring to RP with the same people. I enjoy seeing new faces in town and I enjoy seeing new people involved. So if you want to get involved, and it appears that my character is involved , just ask what's going on. Auchand mentioned there is a quest coming up in the next few months, that is (I believe)slowly picking up now. If you want to get involved, now is a great time to do so.

Asrial
03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Or I'd have the time waiting for something to crop up but something would happen and everyone in the know would know about it but those who had no idea wtf was going on were still left standing around.I have a log from the 'destruction event' of a member of Solhaven soliciting the GM for attention and then taking a select group of people someplace quiet for that interaction.

Fallen
03-19-2010, 02:32 PM
When things were going on in Solhaven last night I didn't have to try too hard to become involved in the roleplay at North Market. I had to leave abruptly or I would have seen it through to the end. And this is coming from someone with really no roleplay background who has generally been more into the hunting/mechanics side of GS3/4.

I was actually surprised how easy it was to get involved...

I'm not one to write off a whole town, as I know first-hand that there are several people that frequent Solhaven which will go out of their way to help others. I also know that there are those that discourage posting what is going on there on the officials (with some legitimate reason), and others who are tired of being called quest whores who would rather not take a more public role in what's going on.

It really boils down to the luck of the draw, which is a shame, but likely unavoidable.

Misun
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I have a log from the 'destruction event' of a member of Solhaven soliciting the GM for attention and then taking a select group of people someplace quiet for that interaction.

Just debating if I should post it or not.

Well since you've mentioned it....

DCSL
03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah, now that you've mentioned it, post it.

Misun
03-19-2010, 02:48 PM
I wish it didn't, simply because it can get boring to RP with the same people.

What are you trying to say?! :cry:

Asrial
03-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I DO have a log. This isn't me puffing up my chest to support my point (the quoted text).

However, after discussion with a couple of friends about this, I have decided to not pursue it.

I firmly believe, even after discussion, that GM interaction occurred.

Yet, by posting it, I stand to gain only the knowledge that people agree with my thoughts. I already know that people agree with my thoughts. So really, I stand to gain nothing.

I stand to lose far more if my perceptions of the situation aren't realized and understood by all of you reading it.

So with that said.. I'm pulling my bet on this one. No popcorn drama for now!

Ryvicke
03-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I DO have a log.

So with that said.. I'm pulling my bet on this one. No popcorn drama for now!

What a reasonable decision that totally leaves all of us at work on Friday afternoon still totally bored as all hell.

Asrial
03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Hmm. Let me see if I can find some compensation...

Drew
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
[House Sylvanfair, Treetop]
Branches intertwine to form several large benches here, covered with moss and soft pillows. There's just enough of a breeze to be refreshing, and the muted noises of the insects that live in the tree provide soft background noise. One branch, larger than the rest, arches off to the east. A spiral staircase leads back down into the trunk of the tree, curving around a cunningly carved tangle of branches. You also see a carved modwir door, a round door, a sturdy vine, a heavy mahogany door and a burgundy oak door.
Also here: Selania
Obvious paths: east
>
Selania shifts her weight.
>
Selania glance at the costume in her hand.
>
Selania slowly empties her lungs.
>wait
Time drags on by...
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>
Selania works her way out of some silver threaded full leather.
>
Selania put some silver threaded full leather in her spidersilk cloak.
>
(Selania strips down fully, stuffs her things in her knapsack, and wiggles her way into the costume.)
>
Selania works her way into a fluffy white polar bear costume.
>smile happily.
Arianiss smiles happily.
>
Selania asks, "Now, of all the things in the world I could possibly do for you, why would this make you happy?"
>
Selania leans softly against you.
>
Selania says, "It's scratchy in here."
>'Sheesh. I could never even get you to kiss me and now I've managed to get you into a polar bear costume. It's all about control.
You say, "Sheesh. I could never even get you to kiss me and now I've managed to get you into a polar bear costume. It's all about control."
>grin
You grin.
>
Selania folds her arms over her chest.
>'You look so cute.
You say, "You look so cute."
>action pets you.
(Arianiss pets you.)
>
Selania says, "Well, my idea is control is tying me up and, well, other things. We have a bit different psychology regarding the matter."
>
(Selania folds her paws across her chest.)
>
Selania says, "Mrhm."
>
Selania says, "Grrowl, Master."
>
Selania winks at you.
>'I have a butterfly net somewhere.. next I'll dress you as a butterfly and we can go hunting.
You say, "I have a butterfly net somewhere.. next I'll dress you as a butterfly and we can go hunting."
>
Selania grins.
>
Selania says, "Well, that sounds a little more fun."

:wtf:

Asrial
03-19-2010, 05:01 PM
"Selania was played by a dude." (I know and knew)

"Just post the log you pussy."

"Why are the hell are you posting your cyber in this thread?"

"If your female, boobs are also acceptable in lieu of exposing logs."

Rep comments. This making some drama for you Ryvicke? ;)

Ryvicke
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Good show!

Baelog
03-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Man, fuck Solhaven. I'm done with that town and it's people.

crb
03-20-2010, 07:27 AM
And be in Solhaven.

To be fair, Solhaven is the land of epic quests. Some people live there. Therefore, they participate in many a quest. I've never been fond of the area, as I don't like the town's layout or general description. The sad thing is, when GMs run quests in (some) other cities, they literally have to scream at the people in town to participate in any goings on.

I'd personally like to see travel barriers go up.

Like something happens to teras, and the first thing that happens is the chronomage is destroyed and the glaesen star sinks... ut oh... quest whores can't make it, gotta be the people who were on the island when it happened.

In unrelated news, am I the only one who thinks "Muffdiver" everytime I see "Earthdiver"?

Fallen
03-20-2010, 07:48 AM
They would have to disable 740 travel too. How about shadowdeath vambs? How about people who don't give a rat's ass about quests? Sounds like a good way to piss a lot of people off.

Tolwynn
03-20-2010, 11:03 AM
You go about it in the other direction, then. Have some NPC toss out bread crumbs about someone or something needing to be rescued or found. The trail of bread crumbs takes a dodge here or there, only to tragically wind up in the hold of a slaver's ship that has more than enough room for those who blindly rush in.

Captives get slapped in shackles forged with leftover Mandis crystals to prevent shenangians, and all the GM interaction they could want with their captors.

Those remaining after the initial capture cycle could then decide to mount a quest of their own to rescue the poor souls - though I suspect as many would want to be there just to cheer the ship off.

Asrial
03-20-2010, 01:33 PM
If the GM's did better research (or actively asked the players for input).. they could determine current regulars of a town and then you can allow for quest whores but still make sure that the people with the highest stake in the issue are the front runners.

crb
03-20-2010, 05:35 PM
They would have to disable 740 travel too. How about shadowdeath vambs? How about people who don't give a rat's ass about quests? Sounds like a good way to piss a lot of people off.

Towns have been cutoff frequently in the past. They have burnt down whole sections of towns. They once killed everyone in game in a town at once.

Cutting off travel to teras for a day or whatever wouldn't be a big deal.

And sure, let shadowdeath and 740 still work, only IC afterall. Let there be perks.

Ryvicke
03-20-2010, 06:04 PM
If the GM's did better research (or actively asked the players for input).. they could determine current regulars of a town and then you can allow for quest whores but still make sure that the people with the highest stake in the issue are the front runners.

I really used to think GM's had a good idea of who was in their town etc. until Auchand posted on the officials two days ago that he hadn't heard of Aydan until the watery invasion started last year. I mean--the dude has been standing in NM for at least four years, used to be with his gf (wife?) Ainsley and a whole crew but seriously I was hoping that Auchand just said that to prove a point like, "I gave him a Protector pre-name and I didn't even know who he was!" Or at least exaggerated it. If he really didn't know Aydan before a year ago he may have not set foot in NM until a year ago (which I guess might be true... who knows).

Not that this is supposed to be a total rip on Auchand. I think he's fucking fantastic.

Amaron
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
I think Auchand has a tight hold on who is a havenite. Most all of the folks on that list are frequent flyers in town with a tie of some sort to the community, some have been in town steadily since the trail was discovered 10 yrs + back

J... havenite of 8 + years

Drew
03-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Damnit I thought this was tonight.

Amaron
03-20-2010, 08:12 PM
next week

Ryvicke
03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
I think Auchand has a tight hold on who is a havenite. Most all of the folks on that list are frequent flyers in town with a tie of some sort to the community, some have been in town steadily since the trail was discovered 10 yrs + back

J... havenite of 8 + years

I don't doubt that he does have a great idea of who you and everyone else that frequently posts on the officials are. But I have Aydan highlighted as a Solhaven cleric from highlights I collected starting in 2003/4 (when I switched to SF), and he's right there at the top of the (chronological) list. 6 years in town before the watery invasion...

Asrial
03-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Except he's a paladin (converted maybe?) :P

Amaron
03-20-2010, 11:02 PM
yea he did convert I believe.

Enceladus
03-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Christ, someone still has me highlighted as a cleric?!

Ryvicke
03-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Yeah, it's bright gold man. I never thought about switching it either cause there's no room (or use) for Paladin highlights.

Enceladus
03-21-2010, 12:22 AM
I still pretend to be a cleric on occasion, though it's rare. Feel like if I raise too many people too often, they'll come to expect it. Plus, paladin raises blow. No chrisms, bare minimum on any sort of recovery process, and if it's in an invasion that takes me out of the fight until I recover the spirit.

BTW, good to see you around again, always did like you when you were around before.

ViridianAsp
03-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I can certainly understand how people can feel it is difficult to get involved in Haven's RP. As someone that has had their character call the town 'home' for many years, I still find it difficult to get involved sometimes. I'm not certain whether that is because of the exclusive tendencies of some of the town's citizens, my lack of free time, or, because my character is not exactly out going/friendly. Regardless it can, and does, happen.

I wish it didn't, simply because it can get boring to RP with the same people. I enjoy seeing new faces in town and I enjoy seeing new people involved. So if you want to get involved, and it appears that my character is involved , just ask what's going on. Auchand mentioned there is a quest coming up in the next few months, that is (I believe)slowly picking up now. If you want to get involved, now is a great time to do so.

Ditto, it can be exceedingly hard even if you live there. While some of my characters are willing to tell all, I have some who won't. But I find most people are willing a lot of times if you give them an ooc whisper to at least find a way to give you info IG.

And it can be boring, NEW BLOOD= FUN.