PDA

View Full Version : Warmage / Pure Level Path

BenNeb
03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi all! New Wizard here. I have searched the forums for a good leveling path but I'm not finding anything clear and concise. Can anyone give me advice on a leveling path from 1-100 for a War Mage and one for a Pure Mage? I don't mind underhunting, and would prefer easy kills and stuff that doesn't hit that hard. Sorry, but I'm a wuss and hate dying. :) Any advice you all can give would be GREAT!

Thanks.

WRoss
03-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Get to 26 ranks of major elemental ASAP. Train at least 1x and up to 2x in air lore until you can get a 1 second RT and use a claidhmore.

Hunt rats until 10
Hunt kappas until 14
Hunt fire guardians until 20

Smythe
03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
An' don' ferget yer Hand of Tonis knockdown bolt ability. The path WRoss suggests'll get ya it. Jes' remember ta use it.

- Smythe

audioserf
03-09-2010, 08:14 AM
It's 27 ranks of MjE + 24 ranks of Air Lore for the extra second of Haste RT reduction.

audioserf
03-09-2010, 08:16 AM
WRoss's suggested path looks perfect for easy leveling. It's not what I did with my warmage (23 now and rising) but I don't like falling asleep while hunting heh.

Askip
03-09-2010, 08:38 AM
For a pure if you do not mind underhunting there are lots of options.

Since many critters levels were change with GS4, my GS3 path may not apply but I moved to Icemule/Pinefar after outgrowing the Landing Krolvin & reivers. I also hunted Solhavens Bonespear Tower and Landings Stronghold. Nowadays the Elven Nations offers tons of choices and may be a better option.

If you are not familiar with all of Elanthia I suggest trying anything close to your level, I enjoyed moving around and exploring.

:D

Drew
03-09-2010, 09:38 AM
It's 27 ranks of MjE + 24 ranks of Air Lore for the extra second of Haste RT reduction.

Are you sure, I think it's just 24 ranks of air lore for a 1 sec reduction, the MjE reduction is a separate thing.

audioserf
03-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Nope. I just got my 24th rank of Air Lore. My RT is still 2 seconds with a maul.

Drew
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Nope. I just got my 24th rank of Air Lore. My RT is still 2 seconds with a maul.

Bummer, Krakiipedia is wrong then.

audioserf
03-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Maybe not wrong, just worded confusingly. I thought it was 24 air ranks too but the more I read (KP and here) it seems it's the combo that gets you the extra second off.

I'm only at 14 ranks MjE so I won't have that 1 second RT for a bit yet. 2 seconds works just fine when the mobs are on their ass stuck in RT, though.

Drew
03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
At least on the air lore (http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Air_lore) page it says
* Haste (506)

At 100 skill of air lore (24 ranks), A wizard's haste will decrease roundtime by an additional one second. Roundtimes will be further decreased by two seconds at 200 skill (100 ranks) and by three seconds at 300 skill (200 ranks).

Which makes it seem like a flat bonus. But if you look at the haste page it definitely seem like using the formula they provide that 24 air lore and 27 MjE are just barely enough to get a 5 second swing down to 1.

audioserf
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah that's wrong then. 24 ranks of air lore by itself does nothing to your Haste RT reduction. I wish that was the case though...

AnticorRifling
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
You need both.

caelric
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
24 ranks of air lore will, in fact, get a one second reduction in RT. It won't bring you to a one second RT flat, but it will reduce your RT by one second.

How do I know this? Well, I have a sorcerer with 48 ranks of air lore. For major elemental spells for a non wizard, ranks are divided in half. At 47 ranks of air lore, he had a 3 second RT with a normally 5 second weapon when using imbedded haste. When he got that final rank of air lore to put him at 48 ranks (the equivalent, for a wizard, of 24 ranks), he went to a two second RT when under the influence of haste.

Sure, thats more or less a waste of TP's, but I find it fun.

audioserf
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
So WTF, then? As a wizard, my 24 ranks of air lore (without the accompanying 27 ranks MjE) do exactly jack shit for me in terms of Haste? Awesome.

caelric
03-09-2010, 12:07 PM
What is your RT when swinging a weapon that is normally 5 second without haste, versus when swinging with haste?

audioserf
03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I use two-handers do I don't know (I think mauls are 7 base) But with Haste, I've had a 2 second RT with a maul since learning the spell at level 6, and it's still 2 seconds with 24 ranks Air Lore.

EDIT: AGIDEX is either 36 or 37 combined bonus

faloon
03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Krakii is correct. I dropped one RT at 24 air lore and then another at 27 MjE.

My Naginata starts at 5 sec rt.

2 sec reduction from haste spell
1 sec reduction when i got 24 air
1 sec reduction when i got 27 MjE

leaving 1 sec RT with my Naginata.

Once i get my 51 MjE my GOS Lance (currently 2 sec rt) will become a 1 sec rt.

** Also there is a chance your Racial bonuses may have lowered your RT so you didn't notice a difference? Not 100% sure on this comment though **

Das Uberdog
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
for a THW i found that i had to have 24 Air Lore and 27 MjE before i got the 1s RT.

edit: this was going from a 5s RT (reduced to 2 until i got 24 Air/27 MjE)

caelric
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
The other part is that because the MjE ranks act as a divisor (or multiplier, whatever is on krakiipedia), as you gain MjE ranks, you might get to the 2 sec RT before you have either 24 air lore, or 27 MjE. Whereas the air lore ranks are a flat one second drop at 24 ranks (100% bonus) and another 1 second drop at 200% bonus, which is what, 100 ranks, I think?

BenNeb
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Ok, thanks for the info on Air/Haste everyone! In an attempt to try and reel this thread back in... I've got Rats, Kappa, Fire Guardians... any other suggestions in between or after these critters?

faloon
03-09-2010, 04:11 PM
With all 3 of my characters i did vaalor water running until 5. They changed it recently and i hear it is slower then just leveling now. But from 5-12 i fletched for some quick leveling with lich scripts(hunted orcs in icemule when bored). After that i went to neartofar forest in Vaalor.

Drew
03-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Well I get 24 air lore ranks in 3 levels, I'll post if I drop a second.

audioserf
03-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I was sort of mistaken.

When I got my 24th rank of Air Lore, my RT with my maul remained 2 seconds with Haste.

However, I just swung a claidhmore (for the first time in a while) and noticed it, too, is now 2 seconds. It was previously 3 seconds with Haste. My AGIDEX hasn't hit the next cut-off (38 bonus) so it must be my Air Lore.

So 24 ranks of Air Lore a fourth second to Haste's RT reduction, but will not allow you to hit 1 second without also having 27 ranks MjE. At least, that's how I now understand it.

audioserf
03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
To add to the "easy hunting" list: fenghai in Solhaven (in The Warrens, mind you). Level 23, crit like butter. Bolt AS that can't hit you with mage spells up. Physical AS around 163 with a shortsword. You'll need a magical claidh to hit them, or just use a mattock/maul/whatever. I wish I discovered them sooner.

OutlawJD
03-18-2010, 04:12 PM
To add to the "easy hunting" list: fenghai in Solhaven (in The Warrens, mind you). Level 23, crit like butter. Bolt AS that can't hit you with mage spells up. Physical AS around 163 with a shortsword. You'll need a magical claidh to hit them, or just use a mattock/maul/whatever. I wish I discovered them sooner.

LOVE ME SOME FURBALLS!!! For bolting, you just need to wait for their "translucent sphere" to drop. Their bolt DS drops about 50 points then and they can usually be taken out with 1-2 tonis bolts (depending on how many it takes to knockdown and/or stun) and a finish off cast of either acid or flame.

There are two hunting grounds for furballs in the foggy valley. The first has them all by themself in a large loop. I don't like this one, because the furballs here are poor.

The second hunting grounds is near by (look for the hill on Tsoran's map). I've made some really good coin here bolting fenghai and centuars (the cents are pretty squishy too). Just avoid the pra'eda as they have ridiculously high bolt ds and will Maelstrom...like all the time. Oh and an occasional Shan Cleric will wonder in, but they can be avoided.

In case it hasn't been said, Wentoph is great from like level 15ish to even level 25. Trolls + fire is always good, the mountain ogres have no real bolt ds, and wind witch usually go down in 2 casts. Loot is pretty good too.

audioserf
03-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I did Wentoph from 12-19. Awesome, awesome hunting ground for a warmage.

I find no difference in loot between Warrens and Lake fenghai.

Pra'eda aren't worth killing. They have a ton of crit padding. I have to Tremors, ewave, and swing away until their HP runs out. Screw that. I stick to fenghai, centaurs, and cougars. I'll probably kill pra'eda once I learn 425 though.

Silvanostar
03-18-2010, 04:52 PM
its been a while but i remember cyclopses were a breeze. storm giants and the glacier are also good areas to hunt. made a decent amount of cash in rivers rest as well in the 40s

caelric
03-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Storm giants and skeletal giants on Sentoph can last you for a good long while. Gotta bolt the skeletal giants (or get a blessed weapon, of course)

Best part is that they are close to the landing. And if you go GoS, they are hated enemies, as well

OutlawJD
03-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Honestly, if you are looking for easy (not necessarily money making) leveling for just starting out, go GoS and enjoy the fun you can have in warcamps. I pretty much warcamped my Wizzie through his pre-teens and teens (though did have a buddy.)

For prep, just get someone to cast you some blues and grab a few small statutes. Stay in the first room and let the swarms come to you. Kill every caster as quickly as you can but definitely get any type of cleric first (damned clouds). If a cloud does happen, just cast tonis on it. Don't be afraid to run if you start getting hit.

Oh and if its a giant camp, leave...not worth it at low levels..

Around 20, warcamps become seriously less fun for pures. Every f-ing grim will cman you so that you are flat on your back and/or without your staff. The casters love to rub it in your face that they can cast EVERY single AoE spell known to man, elf, or gnome...Seriously!?! Stupid f-ing shroud.

Honestly, you can have great fun grimswarming your way to like level 16 and then move on to Wentoph. Trolls and Ogres will get you points towards mastery too!

audioserf
03-19-2010, 06:26 AM
My wizard is in CoL (and there he shall remain, barring any significant nerfing) but I must say that the Grimswarm I have come across have been pretty easy. Then again, I have no way of knowing what level they were generated for, since they were just wandering around hunting areas.

CMAN and ranged weapon using Grim, in large quantities, though, could quickly spell the end for anyone not wearing heavy armor or tanked up in spells. But from what I understand, everyone who does Warcamps tanks up in spells...