PDA

View Full Version : 407/408 for box popping

BenNeb
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I have tried to search for info on this but couldn't seem to find anything about this subject

How reliably could a Wizard pop boxes with these spells ? Do I need any training in any other skills to make these more effective? Can you do like level boxes with these spells?

Thanks all

Tolwynn
03-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Expect to die often if you don't have someone to check for traps for you.

Popping boxes isn't difficult on the face of it, especially if you're willing to try and brute force through harder locks.

A number of traps will set off after one cast of anything, though, and hit you hard.

You'll also be unable to do anything with mithril or enruned boxes.

Trouble
03-08-2010, 04:22 PM
My 60-someting wizard was 1x in disarm and 2x in perception and could easily see any traps in his level range (I used to use him for OTF boxes) although could not disarm any complex traps (scales/etc) reliably unless I got the fluke -42 difficulty ones. Popping was no sweat but sometimes it took a while (OTF boxes).

Also note that while you will easily be able to spot and disarm glyph traps, you will be unable to pop them.

I used various scripts, one to detect twice and then repeat pop (for same-level boxes), one to detect 3 times then repeat pop (for OTF boxes), and then repeat pop scripts with 403 cast beforehand. I also had 408 and 404/408 repeaters too. All the detect scripts incorporated 402 and haste.

BenNeb
03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Ok so I'm fairly new here. Which ones do you think I would be unable to disarm if I followed the same plan? Obviously the mithril/enruned, but what other specific traps? Does this generally follow the same rules as the 125 box popping? IE, can I generally disarm/pop through the same types of boxes/traps? Sorry for the silly questions, but like I said, I'm pretty new!

yesicj
03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
It's mana intensive, but I like to throw in 416 as well. I was able to pop like-level boxes from Stone Valley with my mage pretty much without trouble. I don't 408 scales, scarabs or spheres, but pretty much anything else 408 will work on I use. My long-standing paranoia also has me use 404 just because.
No ranks in disarm, 1x in perception.

Barundar
03-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Some traps simply can't be disarmed with 408, bladders come to mind. I don't know enough about all the different trap types to say for sure what the entire list of "anti-magic" traps might be, so I can't be much help there. What I can say is that as long as you aren't up-hunting by a ton you can usually see traps with a couple casts of piercing gaze. Find your untrapped stuff and 407 them to your hearts content that way.

Glyph traps were mentioned above, if you use piercing gaze on a glyph trap you get teleported to a special little place and you have to run around randomly to find an exit, once you do you'll get dumped at a random location near where you did the deed. Those traps are pretty rare and getting sent off to the nexus or whatever it's called is not that big of a headache.

crb
03-08-2010, 08:18 PM
408 is so utterly unreliable that I never use it on any potentially lethal trap. Those I take to the town locksmith or I blow up with 125.

407, if it isn't trapped, or the trap is not lethal, pop away. It is only mana.

Hopefully both get made less sucky in the vaporware lore review.

Methais
03-08-2010, 08:39 PM
408 is so utterly unreliable that I never use it on any potentially lethal trap. Those I take to the town locksmith or I blow up with 125.

407, if it isn't trapped, or the trap is not lethal, pop away. It is only mana.

Hopefully both get made less sucky in the vaporware lore review.

^ This.

408 is great...when it doesn't decide to get you killed.

yesicj
03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Some traps simply can't be disarmed with 408, bladders come to mind. I don't know enough about all the different trap types to say for sure what the entire list of "anti-magic" traps might be, so I can't be much help there. What I can say is that as long as you aren't up-hunting by a ton you can usually see traps with a couple casts of piercing gaze. Find your untrapped stuff and 407 them to your hearts content that way.

Glyph traps were mentioned above, if you use piercing gaze on a glyph trap you get teleported to a special little place and you have to run around randomly to find an exit, once you do you'll get dumped at a random location near where you did the deed. Those traps are pretty rare and getting sent off to the nexus or whatever it's called is not that big of a headache.

Yea, I use detect to see if I can spot a glyph. The ridiculous AS I have on my mage is more than enough to catch any and all of them I've ever come across. As for bladders, if memory serves those were the ones specifically created because too many people were popping boxes without reservation.
There's a website somewhere (I want to say Jerrec's) with a list of traps you can't 408 or, alternatively, use 407 to get past though I don't think it has been updated for quite some time.

Askip
03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
My capped wizard with 1x perception can take up to four casts of 416 to see some scarabs, although ususally by the second cast.

As for 408 on traps, if it is Jaws just set the box on the ground. If you are unlucky and spring the trap you will not get hurt. If you do not mind destroying scarabs you can 408 the blue and green ones if you have Undisease & Unpoison respectively.

The rest of the traps I leave to the pros, untrapped & plated boxes get rapidfire 407.

:D

Sam
03-09-2010, 09:51 AM
My 60-someting wizard was 1x in disarm and 2x in perception and could easily see any traps in his level range...

Anyone else have similar info from personal experience? I'm curious how much disarm/perception i should get to reliably see traps for my level, but wouldn't intend to actually disarm anything.

BenNeb
03-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have any idea of how often boxes come untrapped? High percentage? Low percentage? On an average hunt, how many boxes do you get, and of those how many can you pop vs. take to a locksmith?

This is great information so far! Keep it comin' folks!

crb
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
46.7%

Askip
03-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Anecdotal because I do not keep track: 1/3 to 1/2 of my boxes are trapped.

:D