PDA

View Full Version : hauberk vs. metal breastplate

LizardClan1
03-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Friends,

I'm getting close to training Armor Use up to 80 ranks, training off the RT and maneuver penalties of both hauberk and metal breastplate.

But it seems paladins need 90 ranks of Armor Use for metal breastplate, and only 70 for hauberk.

Are those extra 10 ranks just for spell hinderence? If so, no big whoop, since I do most of my spell casting in TSC.

Thanks in advance,
-LizardClan1
AIM: LizardClan1

Endlin
03-07-2010, 12:41 AM
If you aren't worried about casting there is almost no reason not to go with plate.

Drew
03-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Yes the extra ranks are for spell hindrance.

mgoddess
03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Even if you do use paladin spells while hunting, the 90 ranks of Armor Use gets you down to 10 spell hindrance for Paladin spells (for MBP). If you go up to full plate, 150 ranks gets you the base 13 spell hindrance.

Also, don't forget about Armored Fluidity, one of the armor specs that Paladins get. It reduces the base spell hindrance of your armor by 10% per ranks. With 90 ranks of Armor Use for MBP, you could drop 30% of your hindrance (from 10 down to 7 for paladin spells), or 40% in full plate (13 down to 8).

You won't be able to cast Minor Spirit spells in plate, without insane training. It takes 210 ranks to drop MnS hindrance down to the base 16 for MBP.

Sylvan Dreams
03-07-2010, 03:05 PM
It's definitely worth going in mbp as a paladin - that is what my paladin wears. You can also cast minor spirit spells pretty reliably with max fluidity and very reliably if you bother to use Faith's Clarity.

Vagabondbard
03-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Im rolling in decent Hauberk and wondering how high people have hunted and still been in hauberk before they noticed the need to be in something heavier.

Its not incredible or anything...but x6 decently padded and spiked and would like to stay in it as long as possible.

GBB

StrayRogue
03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Basic MBP is better than the best hauberk, imo, unless you're constantly getting critted.

Drew
03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Basic MBP is better than the best hauberk, imo, unless you're constantly getting critted.

This isn't really true, 4x MBP vs the 9x MCP stuff Durg has right now, the haub would be better in most situations. But I agree basic MBP is better than basic hauberk for sure.

StrayRogue
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
For a raw hit, I'd rather take the MBP over any hauberk.

Drew
03-09-2010, 07:50 PM
For a raw hit, I'd rather take the MBP over any hauberk.

Statistically that 9x MCP hauberk would beat out 4x basic MBP in almost every scenario.

mgoddess
03-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Im rolling in decent Hauberk and wondering how high people have hunted and still been in hauberk before they noticed the need to be in something heavier.
I roll with 6x, spiked hauberk... and I'm currently 61. I haven't noticed much crit-ing, but then again I roll with as much DS as I can, so I don't have a chance of getting hit in the first place.

Wrathbringer
03-12-2010, 11:48 AM
One of the main perks of being a paladin is the ability to wear plate armors and still cast spells reliably. So, for myself, to take advantage of this, it's not so much a question of "how long can I stay in hauberk" as much as it is "how soon can I get into plate."

As for the mbp vs hauberk debate, I'll take mbp every time if they are of equal enchant, no matter how padded the hauberk may be. It's been many years, but I remember it being stated by an RN on the officials after crit padding first came out, that no armor, no matter how padded, is more protective than plain armor of the class above it. Over the years, that has been my experience. I'd imagine this is even more true today, since Warden nerfed padding.

Drew
03-12-2010, 01:10 PM
It's been many years, but I remember it being stated by an RN on the officials after crit padding first came out, that no armor, no matter how padded, is more protective than plain armor of the class above it. Over the years, that has been my experience. I'd imagine this is even more true today, since Warden nerfed padding.

This is not true, for instance even FGB is better in most cases than plain ol' +17 chain shirt. Generally you're talking about incredibly expensive armour in the lower class while comparing it to something relatively inexpensive in the next class. Basically if you can wear the heavier armour, wear it. Lighter armour should really only be worn for spell hindrance purposes or perhaps if you suck at dodging maneuvers. Rangers, bards, and casting rogues should wear chain. Paladins should be in plate, like Wrathbringer said, that's one of their special abilities.