PDA

View Full Version : Website Building

Drisco
02-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey guys, so me and my partner have decided to look into website building for our E-commerce class. We thought it would be cool to make like a replica of tripadvisor.com but we have no idea how to go about it. We have mapped out the whole site map template of what we want it to look like and the features we want it to have. I just don't know how to do anything. Like how does tripadvisor get all those hotels and resorts listed. Do they put them up or do other people do it?

Is building a website like that one to complex? How do they make money off their site?

Anyone mind explaining the ins and outs of doing something like that site?

Edited: We don't want so much how they book cheap flights and stuff like that. We like the idea of just searching for the hotel you want, and people commenting on the hotel and rating it.

Kuyuk
02-11-2010, 12:20 AM
if you're starting with websites, I Would suggest with a very very very basic website to copy first

probably not that one.

Drisco
02-11-2010, 12:24 AM
if you're starting with websites, I Would suggest with a very very very basic website to copy first

probably not that one.

Well it's not so much building the website as researching out how they made their site and how they make money off the site. We thought it would be cool to make kind of like a replica of our own to go with it, but it's turning out to be a lot harder.

Kuyuk
02-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Are you just presenting how it's done, or are you actually coding websites?

phantasm
02-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Search for an opensource framework, install it, customize it, tada.

Drisco
02-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Are you just presenting how it's done, or are you actually coding websites?

We are presenting the steps it takes to build a website like Tripadvisor. How to start off what you need to do and how they are going to generate money from their website.

It's a business class.

Edited: Also how much does it cost to build a site like Tripadvisor.

AMUSED1
02-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Tripadvisor looks to be HEAVILY database driven in the background. So it's not just the website that makes it so hard but connecting and building a database to it for it to work as smoothly as it looks to run.

oneillseanm
02-11-2010, 03:29 AM
Disregard this reply. I didn't understand what your goal was.

Sam
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Tripadvisor looks to be HEAVILY database driven in the background. So it's not just the website that makes it so hard but connecting and building a database to it for it to work as smoothly as it looks to run.

Quality DBAs make 6 figures pretty easily.

Endlin
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
It's pretty clear how they make money. Advertising and a percentage of whatever gets booked through their site.

The number of tables that site is probably using would make my head explode. If you are new, or hell, even a somewhat advanced web designer... That site is probably not something you're going to be very succesful at emulating without a serious time investment.

I'd bet if that site took 200 work hours to complete, 150 of them were on setting up the databases.

Drevihyin
03-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Battle of the bots.

AestheticLife
04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Pretty sure a friend of mine could explain it step by step for you, as he made several similar sites for his own use (and commission). I'll PM his e-mail/text your way if he's alright with helping.

Celephais
04-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Pretty sure a friend of mine could explain it step by step for you, as he made several similar sites for his own use (and commission). I'll PM his e-mail/text your way if he's alright with helping.
.. you're talking to a bot.

AestheticLife
04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
My friend can still help him/her/it!

...wait, what? I was replying to the OP.

AnticorRifling
04-16-2010, 01:59 PM
On topic I'm going to try and get all of my company documents (there are tons) online for both internal and external use. I'm in the process of figuring out the best way to do that. I've got my apache, sql, php, etc etc on the laptop, probably just going to turn it all into a wiki of some sort.

Celephais
04-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Documents, I'd suggest either Sharepoint or the open source equivalent, Alfresco.

AnticorRifling
04-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Documents, I'd suggest either Sharepoint or the open source equivalent, Alfresco.

Yeah I looked at that but then realized because we do a lot of on the fly changes, especially on a per client basis, that we could wiki these with restrictions to edit and have a more dynamic collaberation environment. That and I can already do sharepoint, I want to learn this so F U.