PDA

View Full Version : Damn you, March Madness....

TheEschaton
03-19-2004, 01:05 AM
For coming to Buffalo.

Saw UConn-Vermont, and the late game, Dayton-DePaul, which of course, went to double overtime......and now I have to go to bed and wake up extra early because I have to be in court with a client by 9 am. FUCK THAT! Time for bed.

-TheE-

Sylphsyte
03-19-2004, 03:56 AM
What exactly IS march madness... I only ever hear those words in Car ads on the TV.
No joke, I really wanna know... I asked 4 people today and they couldn't answer me. But they did make me not feel so ignorant.

Ardwen
03-19-2004, 04:44 AM
College hoops fans dream 2 weeks is march madness

12-3 in my brackets 3 losses are 1 point 4 points and that damned double OT game. And my team had a double digit lead thru most of that 4 point loss too

bastards!

Ardwen
Purveyor of March Madness Brackets

Galleazzo
03-19-2004, 10:19 AM
All March Madness is is the NCAA Division I college basketball tournament. 65 teams battle it out for the title. It's been hyped to the moon in recent years and they hit on a couple catchphrases that work with the media, like March Madness.

Parkbandit
03-19-2004, 10:24 AM
3 losses with no one going past the first round. 190 points on the ESPN tourney tracker.

I am a God among men.

Soulpieced
03-19-2004, 10:25 AM
3 losses as well with none of them winning next round.

Parkbandit
03-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Soupieced is a Falgrin wanna be!

longshot
03-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Sylphsyte
What exactly IS march madness... I only ever hear those words in Car ads on the TV.
No joke, I really wanna know... I asked 4 people today and they couldn't answer me. But they did make me not feel so ignorant.

It's a big single elimination tournament for best 65 college basketball teams in the country... there was a "play in game" to get the tournament to 64 teams.

The "Madness" is all the gambling that occurs on the tournament. Groups of people compete to see who can fill out the most accurate bracket. Points are awarded, and the later rounds are worth more points. To win, you usally have to do more than pick just the champion, you would have to have several "final four" teams, and do reasaonably well in the opening rounds. This is extremely difficult, because many of these smaller schools are never on TV.

Winner gets lots of cash.

It's estimated that the tournament costs 1.5 billion dollars in productivity, because the opening round games begin around noon. People have tickers open, and use "alt-tab" to swap screens if a boss comes.

My bracket looks like absolute shit right now. That's what you get when you watch no college basketball...

Soulpieced, did you have the Jaspers?

TheEschaton
03-19-2004, 11:12 AM
I actually had Nevada winning. But the Jaspers fucked everyone, and I actually picked Dayton last night over DePaul. And Dayton was winning most of the game too!

I think I have 4 losses or so, but none of them extending past the second round anyways.

My big risk is Boston College. Solely for being a Boston team, I put them in the Sweet Sixteen. Fuck winning, gotta keep the pride. Somehow they're a six seed, which, I don't really comprehend, cause I didn't think they were that good this year? <shrug> I wasn't in town this year.

Utah's going down.

Hulkein
03-19-2004, 12:37 PM
My only two losses were I chose Dayton, they lost in double OT, and I chose Arizona over Seton Hall who came back from a 14 pt defecit.. But that is like Arizona to collapse like that, should've known. I didn't have either winning the next round game so no matter.

Go Manhattan, I saw them play a little bit during the year, had a good feeling about them.

[Edited on 3-19-2004 by Hulkein]

Latrinsorm
03-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by TheEschaton
My big risk is Boston College. I watched the first half of their barn-burner with Utah. Maybe I don't watch enough basketball (because it sucks) but combining for less than 50 points in a half seems kind of pathetic to me.

TheEschaton
03-19-2004, 02:26 PM
The Dayton game last night was like 12 to 14 in the first half or something, yesterday.

College basketball is generally much lower scoring. Final score: Boston College 58, Utah 51

-TheE-

Hulkein
03-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah E's right, much lower. That's because college basketball players actually play defense. I don't like the NBA at all but I like college a lot.

Latrinsorm
03-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
That's because college basketball players actually play defense. I'm sure the longer shot clock doesn't hurt. ;)