PDA

View Full Version : To go or not to go?

DianaBanana
03-17-2004, 09:44 PM
So next month I wanna go to Maryland with my boyfriend for a long weekend. Unfortunately, the event we want to attend falls on Easter and my mother is giving me a hard time about missing the holiday. But see here's the thing, we're not catholic...Easter has always just been a family day involving dinner, chocolate, and stuffed bunnies.

Do I go and deal with the wrath of mom when I come home or do I just avoid the entire mess and stay home?

Personally, I'm leaning towards going.

Jenisi
03-17-2004, 09:46 PM
go go go go go

Bobmuhthol
03-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Maryland isn't all that great, unless you're going to Camden Yards Stadium. That was a good time.

I say don't go.

MPSorc
03-17-2004, 09:50 PM
what exactly are you and yer boyfriend going to be doing in MD?

DianaBanana
03-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Erm going to a juggling convention and maybe spending a day in DC. It's just an excuse for us to go away and be together for a few days. Neither of us have had a vacation in awhile.

MPSorc
03-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Bah, just go, there are lots of holidays, just make sure you are home for the next one. Oh, make sure you tell your mom to save some of your favorite dish from dinner so you can have it when you get home.

Edaarin
03-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Neat. I'm going to be in DC on April 3rd with a few friends for the Cherry Blossom Festival, you should go then. I haven't gone for a few years, but the last time I went it was beautiful.

DianaBanana
03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
April 3rd I'll be at Pratt University in Brooklyn for the Juggle That convention. The Maryland convention is Easter weekend so that's when we'll be there.

Soulpieced
03-17-2004, 11:22 PM
I saw the Cherry Blossoms last year.

Shari
03-18-2004, 12:35 AM
I say go. Its one missed easter out of what...20 or 30? She'll get over it.

Vesi
03-18-2004, 12:42 AM
As a mother... I would want to be considered. However, my daughter knows I don't give two flips about holidays. I would just tell your mother that you need time away and then send her a little card or something or send an Easter basket to her. She'll live. Remember... this is coming from a mother of a teenager.

Vesi

P. S. Mothers just like to be remembered I think.

HarmNone
03-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Personally, I think you should tell your mother that you really want to go to this event, and you will spend next Easter with the family. :)

HarmNone

Snapp
03-18-2004, 01:26 AM
Just be sure to give her a call on Easter to show you're thinking about her... then go juggle til your arms fall off!

SpunGirl
03-18-2004, 04:39 AM
Bah!

My Mom is *exactly* like this. She used to lay HUGE guilt trips on me if we I had aunts and uncles in town and I wanted to do something like go to the movies for three hours with my friends.
I can't imagine what she would've done if I wanted to miss an actual FAMILY DINNER.

Part of growing up is taking a breather from your family at times. Philisophical, yes, but your mom needs to realize that.

-K

Sweets
03-18-2004, 07:17 AM
It's been said before...but it's the best advice.

Go but give your mom a call.

DianaBanana
03-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Let me clarify a bit, I'm 23 and I still live at home. I've been having trouble finding a decent full-time job since I graduated college. Anyway, anytime I mention Maryland she gives me a dirty look and makes a comment. I still have to work on my dad...I think he might take it better than mom.

My boyfriend is so lucky, he has his own place and he's jewish. Easter for him is not a problem. LOL

Myshel
03-18-2004, 09:04 AM
As a Mom, family holidays are important to me. Easter is right up there next to Christmas, but then again we do the whole Holy Week thing, midnight mass on Easter Eve. Easter is big for Greeks. Two years ago, my daughthers Spring Break fell on Easter and she wanted to go on a trip. She went and we missed her, and later she told me that she missed the whole Easter ritual too.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Personally I'd stay home with the folks.

CrystalTears
03-18-2004, 10:30 AM
It's one vacation during one holiday. It's not like you're moving to Maryland with this guy. She needs to start letting go because if and when you do decide to ever get married, there WILL me missed holidays because you'll have to split the holiday spending with the other family.

Go have a good time and give her a call on Easter Sunday to tell her you love her.

Wezas
03-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Living in Northern VA, it's widely known:

Baltimore, MD is the STD capitol of the United States

:thumbsdown:

Tsa`ah
03-18-2004, 10:39 AM
And it doesn't fall on Passover. :D

I'll not make jokes about out of work jugglers with BAs.... I'll try very hard not to.... very very hard... so hard it will probably give me an aneurism resulting in my death ... and it will be all your fault for being an out of work juggler with a BA.

::sighs::

You're 23 years old, stop giving in to the guilt of your mother and go be with your boyfriend on this trip.

It's not easy, I know. My wife will be 29 this July and I still have to remind her that her mother uses guilt as a means of holding on to the child she neglected during the time she had.

Go, be with your boyfriend and explain to your mother that you live AT HOME, one day you MOVE OUT, there will be OTHER holidays, OTHER dinners, and if she doesn't like it she can find ANOTHER daughter to guilt.

I made it ... No bursting of aneu ...... /dies.

Galleazzo
03-18-2004, 12:40 PM
What CT said. You get hitched, suddenly it's half the holidays you'll spend with the inlaws. Better she get used to it now.

Latrinsorm
03-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Go.

SpunGirl
03-18-2004, 01:42 PM
I understand - I'm 23 and I can guarantee if I still lived at home my mom would be the exact same way. I SYMPATHIZE!

Marry the guy, though. Then at least you don't have to ponder where to spend Christmas. I told Jake the holidays would be a lot easier if he were Jewish.

-K

Betheny
03-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Who (excluding religious people) gives a damn about Easter?

Atlanteax
03-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
Who (excluding religious people) gives a damn about Easter?

Who knows... but it does make a nice extra few days off.

HarmNone
03-18-2004, 01:49 PM
I do! I do! I love to color eggs! :D

HarmNone, egg artist

DeV
03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
I understand - I'm 23 and I can guarantee if I still lived at home my mom would be the exact same way. I SYMPATHIZE!

Marry the guy, though. Then at least you don't have to ponder where to spend Christmas. I told Jake the holidays would be a lot easier if he were Jewish.

-K Yep.. been there before also. I'm 24 and my mom is the same way. She says we'll always be her "kids". So, you may as well take the big leap now and spend the weekend with your guy. Just make sure you have fun so she doesnt have something to throw on you next time you make a decision she doesn't agree with.

HarmNone
03-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Sometimes, moms just need to hear the words: "I am an adult now. I need to start living my life, and you need to get on with yours. I love you, but I am NOT an extension of you. Thanks for all you have done, and for giving me the tools to make myself who I am."

It is not easy to let go and let grow; yet, it must be done. Some moms just need a little nudge. :)

HarmNone

DianaBanana
03-18-2004, 10:11 PM
So I was in Atlantic City today with my parents and my grandpa (he turned 86 today) and I brought up Maryland. My dad says, "You're 23, go and have fun...Josh is a decent guy." My mom copped an attitude..my dad laughed and rolled his eyes.

Tomorrow I'm gonna give Josh a call and let him know we should start planning!

SpunGirl
03-20-2004, 05:38 PM
My Dad was usually my defender, too, in issues like that with my mother.

-K, Daddy's girl

ElanthianSiren
03-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Cut the cord!

::grins:: seriously, I grew up in a very open minded household, so this sort of stuff was rarely a problem, but that said... My ex taught me that the more you give into people over things that are important to you, even little things, the more they will rule over you in the future. Stand up for yourself if DC is what you want to do.

Best wishes,
Melissa

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
Cut the cord!

::grins:: seriously, I grew up in a very open minded household, so this sort of stuff was rarely a problem, but that said... My ex taught me that the more you give into people over things that are important to you, even little things, the more they will rule over you in the future. Stand up for yourself if DC is what you want to do.

Best wishes,
Melissa

She's living at home at 23, and you are telling her to cut the cord?

I don't see whats wrong with respecting your Mom's wishes for one weekend. Personally, I WISH I could spend time with my Mom or Dad.