PDA

View Full Version : Runestaff users DS

J-Tech
03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Alright, for runstaff users we get our defense from our magical skills we train in, so exactly how is the bonus to our DS calculated for our magical skills we train in?...

J.T.

MPSorc
03-17-2004, 10:03 PM
well i would say that a whole lot of magic skill training plus all the defensive spells you can get equals enough defense to stay alive in guarded stance minus maneuver attacks, CM attacks, guild attacks and the random other things critters do that instantly kill people.

sorry i know that don't help much but not a number cruncher kinda guy, and not to keen on the runestaffs for anything other than my Sorcerer all other semi's and pures i play are shield holders

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by MPSorc]

03-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Its...

8 ranks in magic items = 1 rank in Two handed Edged Defense...

The every rank is 5% on top of your DS...

So 11 ranks per level is... ((((DS + 1 rank of weapon) + 5%)+5%)+5%)

And runestaves add (enchant / 2)...

Hope thats helpful.

crazymage
03-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by The Lancer
Its...

8 ranks in magic items = 1 rank in Two handed Edged Defense...

The every rank is 5% on top of your DS...

So 11 ranks per level is... ((((DS + 1 rank of weapon) + 5%)+5%)+5%)

And runestaves add (enchant / 2)...

Hope thats helpful.

nerd

Skirmisher
03-18-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by crazymage

nerd

Yer just jealous.:P

J-Tech
03-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks. :)

J.T.

03-18-2004, 04:49 PM
I prefer Geek...

Celexei
03-20-2004, 08:24 PM
in my training plan for pure caster, i max out on all my low skills FE: arcane symbols, MIU, etc.... there low cost and for every one over that small limit it ups your Defense. :shrug: it works

Reyek
03-21-2004, 07:01 AM
from gemstones website....In order to benefit defensively using a rune staff, it is best to have at least nine magical ranks per level.

J-Tech
03-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Spells count as magical ranks, correct?

J.T.

Bobmuhthol
03-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Yeah.

theotherjohn
04-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Reyek
from gemstones website....In order to benefit defensively using a rune staff, it is best to have at least nine magical ranks per level.

The above is wrong.

I know it is a old post but I dont have as much time to read as before.

Rune Staves
Unlike most weapon types, a rune staff is utilized more for defense than for offense. A character of the spell casting professions may use this type of weapon. Held in the right hand, skill with a rune staff is based on the wielder's overall magical knowledge. This arcane knowledge effectively translates into a rune staff "weapon" skill for purposes of parrying incoming attacks. Additionally, these wooden rune staves are capable of parrying magical bolt spells and missile weapons, whereas most other weapons cannot. When parrying these ranged attacks, rune staves provide half their normal parrying bonus.

In order to benefit defensively using a rune staff, it is best to have at least eight magical ranks per level. A magical rank can be in any magical skill in the Character Manager, and each skill, regardless of cost, is weighted equally. Eight magical ranks per level is the approximate equivalent to 1x training in two-handed weapons and provides defenses as if the user had 10 additional parry ranks. Each additional magical rank per level will increase the caster's effective weapon ranks by 5%.

Magical skills include:

Arcane Symbols
Mental Mana Control
Elemental Lores
Sorcerous Lores
Elemental Mana Control
Spell Aiming
Harness Power
Spell Research
Magic Item Use
Spiritual Lores
Mental Lores
Spiritual Mana Control

MPSorc
04-23-2004, 04:02 PM
ok, so someone explain to us this, what is the thing going around about pole arm training, and two hand weapon training aiding in runestaffs, that stuff is messin up the ratio here.