PDA

View Full Version : Yay for DSL

DeV
03-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Just got it today and all I can say about using dial-up is "What the hell was I thinking?". If you dont have DSL get it...99% of your internet troubles will go away. Mine did :grin:

Bobmuhthol
03-17-2004, 09:36 PM
DSL is so much worse than Cable.

Edit: I haven't used dial-up since like fourth grade. <3 Cable.

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by Bobmuhthol]

MPSorc
03-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Cable is the way to go, but since i don't have that option over in Korea i have to go with ADSL

Wezas
03-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Cable = Roxor

DeV
03-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by Bobmuhthol] How did I know you would say that. :lol: When I posted this, Im like hmmm... who's gonna be the first person to say THAT EXACT THING. hahaha, I knew it would be you Bob.

AND DSL fucking rocks if you've been using dial-up for as long as I have. I might try a cable modem somewhere down the line but for now DSL is it for me.

03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
I hated DSL. I tried it and I was only hitting speeds of 7.3-11.1kps. On top of having to disconnect the DSL line from the wall when we had to activate the Security System here or if the downstairs wanted to use Dial up.

Its cheap, but for 10 buck more a month(here) you can go 30 times faster, atleast...

peam
03-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by Bobmuhthol]

So.. three years ago? :rolleyes:

Broadband of any type is so much better than dialup. I had to go home for a night earlier during the week. The family combined with the slow internet speed just wasn't cutting it, so I came back to my apartment.

03-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Yea, family can slow ya down on any connection you have, I swear it to be true!

DeV
03-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Im pouting major now because I asked so many people who had either which was better and no one could really say. **sad** but still happy cause anything's better than dialup. I guess once I get sick of DSL and decide its too slow Im gonna switch to a cable modem.

03-18-2004, 12:37 PM
It all depends on what you want to be on the internet for.

Your Upload and Download for DSL will be pretty average in DSL speeds. You are on a secure line still and not always connected.

If you have others living with you that use other computers in the house or bad wires, that will result in problems.

I had that on top of a Home Security system in this house.

And Upload on cable modems can suck heavily in populated areas...

Trinitis
03-18-2004, 12:49 PM
in my personal experiece, DSL and Cable both had their good and bad.

My old DSL line was strangly huge. I got set download/upload rates..but they stayed set no matter what I was doing. We desided to push it one day. I was downloading an anime file, and playing Asheron's Call. My roomie was downloading an anime file, and playing GS. And a friend came over, plugged into the DSL, started downloading an anime file, and joined me in AC. We had no lag..and we where all downloading at the normal Download speed. I thought that was cool.

As for cable..its faster, and a LOT cheaper..for this area. I pay $30/mo for my cable. I was paying $80/mo for the DSL. Also, this cable modem is a LOT more stable. the DSL had a habbit of going down for 24 hours every month or so.

DeV
03-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
in my personal experiece, DSL and Cable both had their good and bad.

My old DSL line was strangly huge. I got set download/upload rates..but they stayed set no matter what I was doing. We desided to push it one day. I was downloading an anime file, and playing Asheron's Call. My roomie was downloading an anime file, and playing GS. And a friend came over, plugged into the DSL, started downloading an anime file, and joined me in AC. We had no lag..and we where all downloading at the normal Download speed. I thought that was cool.

As for cable..its faster, and a LOT cheaper..for this area. I pay $30/mo for my cable. I was paying $80/mo for the DSL. Also, this cable modem is a LOT more stable. the DSL had a habbit of going down for 24 hours every month or so. ::stares:: where were you when I needed you? :sniffle: Im kidding, and Im also glad you posted that information. Hopefully it can be of use to someone who's deciding.

Skirmisher
03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Don't feel bad, I have DSL as well. For me, cable costs a bit more than DSL.

Cable can be faster, but it also has the potential to have more difficulties in my experience. My parents and brother(Optimum Online and RoadRunner) have had to be on the phone with their cable co's at least three or four times as often as I have for my DSL.

Yes Cable can be faster, but I'm quite pleased so far with my DSL service.