PDA

View Full Version : MIU

Hulkein
04-13-2004, 09:09 PM
How many ranks should it take for a rogue friend to be able to activate deathstone earrings? He has 7 right now. Is there an easy formula? Or if not, any of you have an estimate? Thanks.

Edaarin
04-13-2004, 09:21 PM
I think a good baseline is something like 1 rank per level of the spell if it's a spell you can learn.

Celexei
04-13-2004, 09:29 PM
yeah its gonna depend on what spell is in them

Fengus
04-14-2004, 08:02 PM
If they are your basic spirit strike embed then using that formula for a rogue he would need 17 ranks. Since minor spirit is in circle.

Hulkein
04-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the help all.

Nieninque
04-15-2004, 08:52 AM
But isnt there also a penalty of some description if the spell is in a circle other than that which you could usually train in.

For example a cleric training in MIU could activate 205 with 5 ranks, but a rogue might need one or two more ranks to be able to consistently activate the item.

Snowy has 21 ranks in MIU and sometimes struggles to activate her invisibility ring which is 916, I believe, so Im not sure its a straight 1 for 1 deal.

Latrinsorm
04-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Consistent is a relative term. There's also stats and stuff that go into the equation. The stats are different for every circle, too. 1 rank per level is a good enough benchmark.

There isn't a penalty per se, but there is a bonus for being in the same circle. I guess you could call it a relative penalty trying to get the 900s with a rogue.

AnticorRifling
04-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque
But isnt there also a penalty of some description if the spell is in a circle other than that which you could usually train in.

For example a cleric training in MIU could activate 205 with 5 ranks, but a rogue might need one or two more ranks to be able to consistently activate the item.

Snowy has 21 ranks in MIU and sometimes struggles to activate her invisibility ring which is 916, I believe, so Im not sure its a straight 1 for 1 deal.

Rogues can learn 400's and 100's

Question for MIU ranks was in reference to a rogue using deathstone earrings. Deathstone earrings have 117 in them 99% of the time. So there would be no penalty factor involved.

But to answer your question yes there is/are penalty(ies) for using imbeds of spells outside your circle though being 1x in MIU I've never had a problem with anything I've run across thus far.

Chadj
04-15-2004, 12:23 PM
I know that a lesser shroud (120) medallion takes my mini wizard only 10 ranks.

But I also know that implosion (720?) wands.. well, with 20 ranks, it casts maybe once every 2-4 waves, and rarely will it focus.. a lot of times, it will fumble, and make it an unfocused implosion :(

TheEschaton
04-15-2004, 12:52 PM
My rogue activates his deathstone earrings 100% of the time, with 25 ranks.

My other rogue, when borrowing them, activates about.....50% of the time, maybe?....with 10 ranks.

-TheE-

Latrinsorm
04-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
But to answer your question yes there is/are penalty(ies) for using imbeds of spells outside your circle This is the formula: (LO+IN) + (stat modifier) + MIU skill + (alignment bonus) + (knowledge bonus) - (spell level x 5) - (armor/encumbrance) + Activation modifier = modifier

There are no penalties for circle. Alignment bonus is never negative. Rub items don't get hurt by armor/encumbrance. TheEsch's rogue that never fails has some good (as in a little more than slightly positive) stat bonuses for Logic, Intuition, and Wisdom.

Rub items are easier to activate than wave (or even worse, raise) which explains Chadj's success and futility. I bet his Aura bonus or encumberance is crappy, too.

AnticorRifling
04-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Ahh I was thinking alignment could be negative.

I stand corrected.