PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Material

Farn
01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm in the sci-fi stage of my typical "current interests" cycle. I recently watched Firefly, which got me further into it. It was refreshing to watch a sci-fi show without any aliens. I should be grabbing the movie Serenity soon.

Anyhow, I'm looking for more material. Any recommendations on shows, games, books, movies and so forth?

Drew
01-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Battlestar Galactica x 100 (Not the classic series, the new one starting with the 2004 mini-series)

Fallen
01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I liked the first Season of Stargate Universe. No aliens so far, though they are on a ship designed by aliens.

droit
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
If you haven't read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, do yourself a favor and find it ASAP.

Stanley Burrell
01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Without aliens? Geeze, what's the point?

I dunno, Sliders? I saw this cool movie yesterday called "9" that was pretty cool, post-Apocalyptia and all that goodness. In fact, anything that's going to fall under the category of "At-least-O.K." and not contain aliens is going to have to be a post-Apocalypse movie:

(e.g.) The Matrix

The other two Matrix movies.

The Animatrix.

Planet of the Apes.

Mad Max anything.

Fallout 3.

And FarScape.

Alright, I've helped to make this world a better place once again -- Onward to 20 minutes ago to grab reigns of my post-Apocalyptic Mayan warship.

Latrinsorm
01-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Battlestar Galactica x 100.
Battlestar Galactica x 100x 9000!!!!!

Have Drew or I ever steered anyone wrong, about anything, EVER?

Farn
01-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I've read Ender's Game. Are the other Ender books and the Shadow (Bean) books worth reading? The person who recommended Ender's Game to me said the others in the series were pretty boring, so I haven't worked them into my collection yet.

I actually enjoy the post-apocalyptic stuff, so thanks for your suggestions, Stanley. I've seen Matrix and Planet of the Apes (the new one). I've got nothing against aliens in particular, but it was just nice to see a show that didn't need aliens to make it work well. Same went for Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" books - good sci-fi material, no aliens. That said, I think aliens are okay, though I think you can overdo it, too (Star Wars).

I'll see about checking out Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Universe.

Methais
01-11-2010, 06:25 PM
ZOMG STAR WARS EPISODE I!!!!!!!!!II!!!I1!!I!

Farn
01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
ZOMG STAR WARS EPISODE I!!!!!!!!!II!!!I1!!I!

Yousa gonna love it, Anni!

droit
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
The other Ender's Game books are a bit different than the original, but you might like them anyway. If you're a fan of more classic sci-fi like Asimov, check out the Dune series or some Arthur C. Clarke (Rendevouz with Rama is a good one) or Philip K. Dick.

mgoddess
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Babylon 5 is good, though it has it's fill of alien things. Farscape is good, too.

If you've got Netflix and something like an Xbox with Live Gold, check out SeaQuest DSV. The first season is slow (as all good sci-fi shows go), but it's a good show otherwise.

And of course, I can't post about sci-fi stuff without mentioning Star Trek. I'm currently working through Deep Space: 9, and it's just as good as I remembered from 20 or so years ago.

Belnia
01-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I think Sanctuary the Sci-Fi channel series is actually quite enjoyable.

Danical
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Stop watching BSG after you've completed the second season; there's nothing for you on the other side except wtfery.

Androidpk
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree with Fallen, I think the first season of Stargate Universe was very good and it's been green lit for a second season with like 22 episodes.

As far as books go I highly recommend the Warhammer 40k Omnibus books.

I have the omnibus for Ultramarines, Space Wolves, and Grey Knights and each of them contains 3 books, all of which are epic.

Latrinsorm
01-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't know if it's available anywhere yet, but the Prisoner miniseries AMC did recently is extremely... you should see it. I know like a million words and they fail me.

Celephais
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
The other Ender's Game books are a bit different than the original, but you might like them anyway. If you're a fan of more classic sci-fi like Asimov, check out the Dune series or some Arthur C. Clarke (Rendevouz with Rama is a good one) or Philip K. Dick.
Much love for Dune.

radamanthys
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM
What kind of 'sci-fi'? Spaceships? Freespace 2 was pretty damned 'spaceship captain' satisfying. EvE for the MMO- but you're certainly not the central character (probably closer to a redshirt).

General sci-fi series:
I've heard good things about 'being human'. I just downloaded it but have yet to watch it.

As for ongoing saga:
SGU was highly enjoyable, looking forward to more of that.
I really liked Warehouse 13, as well.
Umm... Fringe and Chuck are also awesome.

Stuff that ended?
Firefly is a must. ST:TNG, as well.
Babylon 5 was highly enjoyable, as well.

Drew
01-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Have Drew or I ever steered anyone wrong, about anything, EVER?

NEVER

Kamkor
01-20-2010, 03:53 PM
The Shadow books from the Ender series are actually pretty good. Ender's Shadow is from Bean's point of view, so when you read Ender's Game then that book, it really makes to want to re-read Ender's Game to see if you missed certain things. It also causes alot of things in Game to make sense.

I have two of the Shadow series and have read em about 50 times now.

The ones going in the other direction, following Ender's Game, are really pretty...lackluster. Like Speaker for the Dead, I have them, got about half way through them, and set em aside.

Fallen
01-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Bioshock is a badass sci-fi game, as is Mass Effect. Both have sequals due out soon.

Warriorbird
01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Renaissance, movie wise.

Snow Crash, book wise.

Androidpk
01-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Snow Crash is awesome. :)

Ker_Thwap
01-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Foundation series by Asimov is a classic. Of course I haven't read it since I was 15, so no guarantees.

Latrinsorm
01-25-2010, 10:52 PM
When the Sleeper Wakes, by Herbert George Wells (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/775/775-h/775-h.htm)

"We were making the future," he said, "and hardly any of us troubled to think what future we were making. And here it is!"

Warriorbird
01-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Hmm.

Canticle for Leibowitz.
Anathem.

droit
03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Hmm.

Canticle for Leibowitz.
Anathem.

Just read Anathem and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's been a while since I accidentally stayed up reading a book until 6 in the morning.

LMingrone
03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Watch Brazil if you haven't seen it. You'll love it. And I'll second Snow Crash. I've read that book at least six times already. Reading the next Bourne books right now, not sure if that would be Sci-Fi, but they're awesome.

Androidpk
03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
http://www.core.form-ula.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/brazil_mom.jpg

crb
03-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1 and 2 x 100 (Not the classic series, the new one starting with the 2004 mini-series)

Corrected.

Androidpk
03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Caprica is getting really really good.

droit
03-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Is it? I watched the first couple episodes and couldn't really get into it.

Androidpk
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Keep watching!

Asrial
03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
You may have to just revisit Caprica later Droit. I didn't get hooked into BSG until season 4.

I think the part of Caprica that I'm MOST interested to find out about is the transformation of William. We'll see how they play that.

Androidpk
03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
You may have to just revisit Caprica later Droit. I didn't get hooked into BSG until season 4.

I think the part of Caprica that I'm MOST interested to find out about is the transformation of William. We'll see how they play that.

I'm more interested in what's going on with Zoe and Tamara.

Asrial
03-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm more interested in what's going on with Zoe and Tamara.I think Tamara shows interest as an intriguing plotline.. but I'm not impressed with Zoe just yet.

Clove
03-03-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm interested in Zoe and William equally for different reasons. Zoe because her role as cylon creator and William for obvious reasons. Tamara is more "fun" for me; unless they can connect her plot with the genesis of the Cylons her plot is just fun color as far as I'm concerned.

Clove
03-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Currently I'm working on a sci-fi plot: A man survives the apocalypse with nothing but his wits, his woman, his pantry and his army of weasels.

You know you're dying to find out how it ends...

Fallen
03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
They eat the weasels. Zombie weasels ... EAT THEIR WAY OUT

oneillseanm
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I recommend reading the book series starting with 2001: A Space Odyssey. The movie is one of my favorites but I like the books even more.

I also recommend reading Dune, which someone else recommended.

Look them up on Amazon and see if they appeal to you. Since they're old you can surely pick them up for a buck a piece on the site.

Slider
03-03-2010, 02:08 PM
David Weber's Honor Harrington series is fantastic, and you can read the first few books online for free here

http://www.baen.com/library/defaultTitles.htm

Series starts off with On Basilisk Station. Very good series, well written, and no aliens.

Also the trilogy he did with John Ringo, March Upcountry is the first one in that series. And also available free at Baen Books.

And the Posleen War series by John Ringo is really good. And again, you can read the first few free on that websight.

Forgot to add Eric Flint's 1632 if you like alternate history it is very good.

Xanator
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Always been a big Stanislaw Lem fan, but his stuff is different. He sort of got away from science fiction themes in his later years, and my understanding has always been that we lose a lot in translation. Might know him from Solaris, though the most recent film adaptation of it was very liberally interpreted.

Latrinsorm
03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I bet Tamara is the eventual source of humanoid Cylons, and/because the game is linked to the STO or One True God religion somehow.

Farn
10-30-2010, 01:36 PM
I just finished watching the Battlestar Galactica miniseries and seasons 1-4 as back-to-back as possible (thankful my wife doesn't hate me after coming to bed extremely late the past couple weeks). What an amazing show. I'm now suffering from the melancholy that it's now over, though hopefully the Caprica spin-off will be a good watch when I manage to get ahold of it.

Anyone know of any good sci-fi books in a similar vein/style (don't bother recommending Star Wars)? I just got a nook e-reader for my birthday and am looking for books to fill it with.