PDA

View Full Version : Martha Burke

GSTamral
04-12-2004, 10:32 PM
<<<<
WASHINGTON -- Martha Burk's sex-discrimination inquiry into Wall Street companies whose top executives are members of Augusta National will pack a legal punch.

Washington lawyer Cyrus Mehri, whose firm served as counsel in two of the largest race discrimination cases in history, will aid Burk's organization in looking into gender-related practices at eight financial companies.

Burk, head of the National Council of Women's Organizations, has been campaigning for nearly two years to get the home of the Masters to admit a female member. She said the new initiative was prompted by anecdotal evidence received from female employees at the companies.

"The golf thing just triggered a much larger problem," Burk said Tuesday. "If Augusta were to admit a woman tomorrow, it wouldn't change anything that we've heard from women in the last year."

Mehri was active in discrimination cases involving Texaco and Coca-Cola, and helped spur changes in hiring practices within the NFL. He said he is taking this case on a contingency basis.

"We're less focused on Hootieisms at Augusta than Hootieisms on Wall Street," Mehri said.

The companies are American Express, Bank of America, Franklin Templeton, J.P. Morgan Chase, Stanley, CitiGroup, Berkshire Hathaway and Prudential. All have either a chairman or a CEO who is a member at Augusta National. Most declined to comment.

Franklin Templeton spokeswoman Lisa Gallegos said CEO Charles B. Johnson's membership at Augusta "is a personal one and not a company membership and has nothing to do with our corporate policy."

Augusta National spokesman Glenn Greenspan said the club would have no comment.

>>>>

Radcliffe College will refuse men entrance into the school. Alcorn State refuses any person who isn't black. We have educational institutions, places that call themselves areas of higher education that discriminate against men, and now we have Martha "Bitch" Burke, railing against a private golf course because they have not elected a women into the club. When women's colleges cease to exist, and black schools start admitting white and other students, and other top educational institutions stop allowing people of lesser merit into their doors in order to fulfill a race/gender quota, then she can open her mouth about Augusta National.

Martha Burke is truly the epitomy of liberal lawmaking in this country. That a high profile lawyer, or any person who would call themself a lawyer would take this case is an excellent example of how far down the shitter this country's law system has traversed.

Wezas
04-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Ow Ow Ow... my head hurts... all these posts of little content and suddenly I happen upon this.

Warriorbird
04-12-2004, 10:35 PM
So... two wrongs makes a right?

GSTamral
04-12-2004, 10:37 PM
No warriorbird, of course not. But a place calling itself an educational institution is being hypocritical when they discriminate based on race/gender.

Augusta National is a club that does not say in its charter that women cannot join the club. Its just that no woman has joined the club to this point. Also, it is a privately owned club that has no public or political interests. Who they choose to induct as members is their own damn business.

Warriorbird
04-12-2004, 10:39 PM
You can't use them to illustrate unless you compare them on the same level.

Hulkein
04-12-2004, 10:39 PM
I agree, this case is bullshit.

Tsa`ah
04-12-2004, 10:40 PM
For once I agree with Tamral.

Warriorbird
04-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Sure... it's pretty ridiculous... but going back and bagging on black colleges and women's colleges when this is your point of view is pretty pathetic.

It's like, "Oh no!" "I'm not being racist and sexist in the guise of sensible conservativism now!" "Those are liberal institutions! Let's attack them!"

In the lifetimes of our parents a fair number of women or blacks couldn't get into colleges that weren't of this nature. How many whites or men do you think would seriously go anyways?

[Edited on 4-13-2004 by Warriorbird]

Hulkein
04-12-2004, 10:43 PM
It's the principle of it.

Doesn't matter anyway, this is a private establishment, they can't do anything. The fact that they waste time and money is just pathetic.

Warriorbird
04-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Sure... it's the principle of it... if it's the principle of it, what problem do you have with private colleges doing the same as a private golf club?

Tsa`ah
04-12-2004, 10:50 PM
In an age where rights are to be equal it is an intellectual offense to go after a private institution or a corporation while ignoring voluntarily "segregated" institutions.

Were I to start a scholarship for white men I would find myself in a court within a years time for turning down those who did not qualify. Those that were not men and those that were not white.

I can't be held accountable for the actions of those that preceded me. I can only be held accountable for the actions of myself. While most of our parents and grandparents lived in an age where non-whites and non-men were discriminated against, we did not. Giving safe haven to certain funds and institutions that discriminate in a non-traditional fashion is counter productive in society.

Weedmage Princess
04-12-2004, 10:50 PM
I agree with Tamral as well. And I'm a woman...w00t!

This is a PRIVATELY owned club, not a public institution. Who the hell is she..or anyone..to dictate to someone who they can and can not have on their private property?

It's ridiculous.

Warriorbird
04-12-2004, 10:51 PM
So... then you don't support Augusta. Where exactly are you standing here?

Marl
04-12-2004, 10:52 PM
I still love the local radio dj at last year Master's who at Miss Burke's news conference held up a sign that on one side said "Make me a sandwich" and on the other "go home wash my dishes" . He got more news coverage than she did that day

Warriorbird
04-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Private colleges are ...lo and behold... also on private land. Enforced or no.

Marl
04-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Augusta National is privately owned is it not?

Weedmage Princess
04-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
Private colleges are ...lo and behold... also on private land. Enforced or no.

Exactly. And I'd be forced to say that if someone wanted to start a college (private) for Whites only, that should be met with just as little resistance as the previously mentioned colleges were.

Marl
04-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Now you and everyone else knows that if an ALL white college ever opened up it would be shut down within the first week. That is just how society is, even though in a lot of places whites ARE the minority.

Edaarin
04-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Bitch needs to get laid, then she'll shut the fuck up.

Marl
04-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Bitch needs to get laid, then she'll shut the fuck up.
Nah she seems the type that enjoys a good large fist in the......well nevermind

TheEschaton
04-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Martha Burke can suck a fat one. If the Boy Scouts can legally not include homosexuals in their ranks, then Augusta can determine it's own membership. The essence of private ownership is that the owners can do what they want.

The horrible part of it? There was a rumor that Augusta was on its way to inviting a woman to be a member. Then Martha Burke came by, and fucked it all up, because Hootie didn't want to appear like he was appeasing NOW.

And the reason why the case is different in colleges vs. Augusta is that these women-only colleges, and black-only colleges, probably receive federal funding - whereas Augusta is completely private.

-TheE-

Edaarin
04-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Great article.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/021121.html

Warriorbird
04-13-2004, 07:08 AM
Yet curiously male only colleges were never brought up. Funny.

Edaarin
04-13-2004, 07:31 AM
There's 3 all-male colleges in the country. Well over twenty times that number in all-women colleges.

longshot
04-13-2004, 10:02 AM
IRON MY SHIRT BITCH!!

Weedmage Princess
04-13-2004, 11:32 AM
::beats Longshot with a putting iron::

Atlanteax
04-13-2004, 11:52 AM
When the day comes...

That the Plaintiff who sues, and then loses the case, has to pay the legal expenses of the Defendant...

We'll see a lot less frivilous lawsuits like this one.

But unfortunately, the Bar Association (of Lawyers) is blocking such reform, because they know it would mean less litigation business for them. ( Another example of the evils of Unions).

Hopefully enough public pressure will push the politicans to get the reforms passed!! Especially since they'll want to get re-elected.

Mistomeer
04-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Sure... it's pretty ridiculous... but going back and bagging on black colleges and women's colleges when this is your point of view is pretty pathetic.

It's like, "Oh no!" "I'm not being racist and sexist in the guise of sensible conservativism now!" "Those are liberal institutions! Let's attack them!"

In the lifetimes of our parents a fair number of women or blacks couldn't get into colleges that weren't of this nature. How many whites or men do you think would seriously go anyways?

And your excuse for all the places in this country that exclude white males is what? I'm being racist and sexist under the guise of fair liberalism?

Warriorbird
04-13-2004, 09:03 PM
:chuckle: I think it's their right if they're a private insitution. I sure doubt I would've seen you saying anything against the Citadel during the process that finally saw that institution go co-ed.

Free speech isn't easy... but it is American.

Mistomeer
04-13-2004, 09:08 PM
:chuckle: I think it's their right if they're a private insitution. I sure doubt I would've seen you saying anything against the Citadel during the process that finally saw that institution go co-ed.

Free speech isn't easy... but it is American.

The Citadel. LOL. Sue for years, last for days. She should have spent as much effort training as she did whining.

I'm not against private organizations having their own memberships - be it all white, all black, all female. I don't want to be a part of any club that doesn't want me. What's the point?

Warriorbird
04-13-2004, 09:15 PM
The point was more Tamral saying one was fine but others were bad.