PDA

View Full Version : Speed Crossbow (of DOOM!)

kookiegod
01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
So I made some trades and acquired the 6x speed crossbow and the 4x randomly elemental flaring unlimited crossbow quiver. Altered and lightened the weapon, and Tep had lightened the quiver a few as well before I got it.

Items are currently a weathered oak crossbow set with a pitted iron prod and a kelyn-plated leather quiver.

All in all its +50, with +30 when kneeling, doesn't pull you out of hiding.

Your grab the windlass attached to the crossbow and turn it, smoothly cocking it.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

You quickly reach toward your leather quiver. Tiny tendrils of eldritch brown energy coalesce into a red-feathered black witchwood bolt with a gornar tip. The shaft streaks from the leather quiver into your waiting hand.

You load a red-feathered black witchwood bolt with a gornar tip into your oak crossbow.

You fire a red-feathered black witchwood bolt at a velnalin!
AS: +145 vs DS: +3 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +54 = +226
... and hit for 79 points of damage!
Incredible shot to the eye penetrates deep into skull!
The velnalin collapses to the ground, emits a final sigh, and dies.
The black witchwood bolt sticks in a velnalin's left eye!

The black witchwood bolt dissolves into vapor.

Six seconds total aimed, five seconds unaimed.

With haste...

Your grab the windlass attached to the crossbow and turn it, smoothly cocking it.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.

You quickly reach toward your leather quiver. Tiny tendrils of eldritch brown energy coalesce into a red-feathered black witchwood bolt with a gornar tip. The shaft streaks from the leather quiver into your waiting hand.

You load a red-feathered black witchwood bolt with a gornar tip into your oak crossbow.

You fire a red-feathered black witchwood bolt at a lesser orc!
AS: +174 vs DS: +34 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +29 = +204
... and hit for 44 points of damage!
Surgical strike removes the lesser orc's left eye!
The lesser orc is stunned!
The black witchwood bolt sticks in a lesser orc's left eye!
Roundtime changed to 1 second.

The black witchwood bolt dissolves into vapor.

2 second crossbow AIMED shots, not bad at all. :)

~Paul

TyrilPraedus
01-22-2010, 11:30 PM
both are sitting in a locker i assume?

Androidpk
01-22-2010, 11:40 PM
How often do those bolts flare?

kookiegod
01-23-2010, 12:08 AM

Nawp, actively in use on my rogue archer.

~Paul

kookiegod
01-23-2010, 12:09 AM
How often do those bolts flare?

About the same 20-25 percent of the time as most flaring items.

~Paul

AestheticLife
01-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Sick, sick set. That's ridiculous.

Drew
01-23-2010, 02:19 AM

These kind of comments annoy me. YOU CAN'T OWN ITEMS UNLESS YOU ARE ACTIVELY USING THEM THIS SECOND!!!11!!!!11 SINCE YOU PROBABLY AREN'T I SHOULD GET IT FOR FREE!!!

Parker
01-23-2010, 02:52 AM
These kind of comments annoy me. YOU CAN'T OWN ITEMS UNLESS YOU ARE ACTIVELY USING THEM THIS SECOND!!!11!!!!11 SINCE YOU PROBABLY AREN'T I SHOULD GET IT FOR FREE!!!

I believe the comment was probably more directed at potentially buying it, if possible.

And it was one with proper grammar and punctuation.

Smythe
01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Yeh, but Drew's 'z funnier'n hell.

- Smythe

Inspire
01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I have to admit I'd like to try this setup on my mage.

Durgrimst
01-23-2010, 12:53 PM
This should be in the hands of a bard

AMUSED1
01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
But everyone knows bards don't hide.

BriarFox
01-23-2010, 08:10 PM
But everyone knows bards don't hide.

Neither do serious archers. :P

Ugotfaced
01-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Yea, I've had a couple archers, only one I hid with was my ranger, and that's only when I cast camo. Every other time it was "i can fire quicker than you can swing" 1 maybe 2 shots, loot next room.. I didn't take the time to really hide.. Also, not a friend of crossbows. I hate the fact that you gotta be in hard rt, while kneeling. Not really a good thing sometimes.

Androidpk
01-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I know practically nothing of ranged weapons but wouldn't crossbows be superior for sniping?

waywardgs
01-24-2010, 12:26 PM
I know practically nothing of ranged weapons but wouldn't crossbows be superior for sniping?

The mechanics of normal crossbows make them irritating to use. 5 secs to cock, 3 secs to fire, and it pulls you from hiding. Special crossbows like the one Paul's using are different, and also much more expensive (25m+).

TyrilPraedus
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Great synopsis. :tool:

I have no problem, COCKing, FIREing and LOADing in hiding. Granted you get extra 1 sec of RT in hiding when firing, and if kneeling and cocking you will be adding RT anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds extra. Combat mobility 2/2 will solve your issue of being kneeling in RT, not sure if rangers can pick that up. But for a rogue, where hiding is dirt cheap, i am 3x S&H and able to one shot most critters while remaining hidden.

kookiegod
01-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Always open to ideas on trades for the combo.

~Paul