PDA

View Full Version : what level until i can actually do something?

LOL BRIELUS
12-25-2009, 10:10 AM
At approximately what level can I just be a pure cleric? Right now I have a swinging/casting combo, which is doing ok. I find my CS is still not enough to almost always hit when casting 302. What kind of spell training do I need to actually kill stuff easily?

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 86 19
Physical Fitness...................| 86 19
Arcane Symbols.....................| 58 12
Magic Item Use.....................| 66 14
Spell Aiming.......................| 136 38
Harness Power......................| 78 17
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 35 7
Perception.........................| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Major Spirit.......................| 15

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 7

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 19

WRoss
12-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Belnia posted a build a while back that I have adopted that is doing pretty well. Train in OHE with no shield use. No minor spirit until later (I got up to 103 for self spells) and jack up the cleric ranks. Also, why do you have spell aim if you are going for 302? Drop those ranks and jack up cleric ranks for better CS.

Asrial
12-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Wraiths in Icemule at level 15 is generally when I started being able to rely on pure casting 90% of the time. However, I should point out that I think only one or two of my stints at 15 were under the Smite/Bane 302.

Regardless..

For CS concerns, wraiths in Icemule at 15.

Also, you can do the apparitions in the Icemule cemetary from 5-10 no problem.

Tuxedo Gin
12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
My cleric has never swung a weapon in his life. I went with a runestaff build. He couldn't fry without wands until probably 16-18 trainings, but it was never unbearable. I'd just leave for a hunt when I was at clear or muddled and I could fry from there. Training in weapons means you'll struggle for a really long time before you can rely 100% on your spells, and even then you need to be a CS caster or a bolt caster, you can't be great at both.

Here's my pretty generic runestaff build at 28:

Physical Fitness.....................| 102 24
Arcane Symbols.....................| 120 30
Magic Item Use.....................| 120 30
Spell Aiming..........................| 160 60
Harness Power......................| 120 30
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 10 2
Spiritual Lore - Religion...........| 120 30
Climbing...............................| 25 5
Swimming.............................| 50 10
First Aid...............................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Major Spirit.......................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 6

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 40

~2.5x in spells gives him a fairly decent CS for his level (144 for cleric circle).

2x spell aiming allowed him to ROCK arch wights in Icemule from level 15 or 16. The arch wights in Icemule are especially weak to bolts (no armor like the Landing graveyard ones) and are easy to one-shot or two-shot with 306.

I'm currently hunting tree spirits, but looking for where to go next, as they're a bit under me now.

Like WRoss said, I wouldn't train up minor spirit until later. I also got up to 103, and didn't start training minor spirit again until I got 225. If you really need 107 (I like it in tree spirits), it's pretty easy to find someone you can send to for a few shots of it.

I could probably lose the first aid, but I do a lot of rescues and sometimes need to get a body up without an empath. I'd probably only use those points to grab a few lores anyway, so it's no real loss.

WRoss
12-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a level 6 forest gnome cleric right now that I'm hunting dirges in Sol and the graveyard. I have like 14 cleric ranks, 2 major spirit, and no shield use but I still use a shield. He gets encumbered pretty quick being a gnome, so then I switch to 302. I can also fry using only 302 hunting lesser mummies.

Sean of the Thread
12-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Seriously a forest gnome cleric???? wow.

WRoss
12-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Forest gnomes get +5 wis, +5 dex, and fast spirit regen. Figured I'd give it a try.

walkinthrurain
12-27-2009, 05:52 PM
@WRoss
CoL I figure (fast spirit regen)? Props to you. That could be pretty fun later on.

WRoss
12-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm doing voln for now but plan to go COL later. Undead are so god awfully easy at low levels.

Gusbus
01-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I thought Col wasn't an option anymore? Or is that if and when it comes back?

Fallen
01-04-2010, 10:23 AM
I thought Col wasn't an option anymore? Or is that if and when it comes back?

COL is no longer out of the landing, but can be completed in Ta'Vaalor and/or Solhaven. One or both of them may have been out of commission for a time, but I am sure at least one venue is available to complete tasks. It is due for a nerf, but it got bumped to RSN, so I wouldn't worry about it on that front.

Belnia
01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I actually decided the edged/shield (with no shield training) wasn't hardcore enough, so my cleric now does TWC with a katana/wakizashi set. The options are nice, can switch to just the katana two handed or katana/shield for DS as needed against bolting critters. CS is now getting low, since he's back under 2x spells but I'm going to start pumping spells back up the next few levels and get more blessing lore.

TWC is a ridiculously large investment in terms of TPs, but this is a screwing around for fun anyway character. As long as he still has 40 cleric ranks for good raise and can make chrisms, I'm happy.

At level 35:
Two Weapon Combat..................| 134 37
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Edged Weapons......................| 134 37
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 134 37
Physical Fitness...................| 90 20
Magic Item Use.....................| 86 19
Harness Power......................| 150 50
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 50 10
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 120 30
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 70 15