PDA

View Full Version : best way to watch Avatar?

Xaerve
12-23-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm going to see it this weekend - what is the best way to watch it?

Clove
12-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Gosh, you mean I have the option of watching it in iMax 3D or 2D? Gosh.... I don't know. I mean 2D options are available only 10 minutes from my house... but is the quality difference really that dramatic? I'd have to go out of my way to see it in Imax...

Fuck it. I'll just download a pirated video.

Okay. 3D vs 2D seems a fair fight. Imax vs. regular 3D seems like a fair question. But Imax 3D, 3D or 2D? Really? Really? Is 2D really an option in that mix?

Paradii
12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
You need a "watch something else" option

CrystalTears
12-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm going to see it this weekend - what is the best way to watch it?
Go to IMAX but don't put the glasses on.

Seriously, WTF.

radamanthys
12-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Apparently, it is worth the extra few dollars to see it in IMAX 3d/Normal 3d.

If that's what you were asking.

Xaerve
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
The IMAX 3d is 3 hours away.

The Regular 3d is close by, as is the 2D theater.

CrystalTears
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
So if IMAX is not an option for you, why even ask?

Xaerve
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
So if IMAX is not an option for you, why even ask?

It is an option.

Let me spell it out for you more since you're having trouble here ;)

I'm wondering if the 3D Imax is worth the 3 hour drive (RT).

If people think its meh, which I have heard, I'm picking between the 2D or 3D in the regular theater in town.

Swami71
12-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I watched it 2D last weekend and I give the movie a C+. If you like 3D at all I would recommend it (lots of flying). My girlfriend gets motion sickness easy and the 2D time worked better for us.

Xaerve
12-23-2009, 10:09 AM
I watched it 2D last weekend and I give the movie a C+. If you like 3D at all I would recommend it (lots of flying). My girlfriend gets motion sickness easy and the 2D time worked better for us.

Yea, that's what I've heard from people around here too. I'm thinking I might just go to the 2D movie here in town instead of making the trip up, or going to the 3D here.

Thanks.

radamanthys
12-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Certainly do the 3d.

I'm thinking of heading to Rochester for the 3d IMAX. That's only an hour.

CrystalTears
12-23-2009, 10:30 AM
It is an option.

Let me spell it out for you more since you're having trouble here ;)

I'm wondering if the 3D Imax is worth the 3 hour drive (RT).

If people think its meh, which I have heard, I'm picking between the 2D or 3D in the regular theater in town.
Let me spell it out for you since you seem to be missing it.

If 3D is worth your time, go see it in 3D. If 3D is not your thing, then don't. It's pointless to not a see a movie in 3D when offered, especially when they go through the expense of having it available on IMAX as well.

So either an IMAX experience is worth the 3 hour drive for you or its not.

The only people who say it's meh in 3D are people are don't enjoy 3D to begin with because they get motion sickness or just don't know how to jam out with their clam out.

Xaerve
12-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I've heard you miss a lot of detail in the movie, actually, when you see it in 3D. Anyway--it is possible to post your opinion without being rude, ya know :)

CrystalTears
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
You started it. Not my fault you asked a stupid question. :tongue:

I'll probably end up seeing the 2D version this weekend. However there is still plenty of detail going on in the 3D version and worth viewing simply because of how immersive it is.

Again, either you enjoy 3D movies thus you should see it in 3D, or you don't.

Fallen
12-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I would see it first in normal 3d at the Joe Blow movie theatre. If you like it, go see it in IMAX 3d. 3 hours is pretty far. Hell, i'm driving 1 hour on Thursday and I think that is stretching it. I will say I can't think of a better movie that was released in IMAX 3D. Didn't Dark Knight only have 1 scene which was optimized for IMAX?

Tordane
12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
I watched it last night in Regular Theater 3d (Real3D). Simply amazing. I would see no reason that someone would get motion sick watching this movie in 3d, the 3d is more enviromental background. The story is....predictable...but the enviroment and the cgi is breathtaking.

Atlanteax
12-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I wonder how many people had this reaction regarding the movie?

http://www.little-gamers.com/comics/2009-12-22.gif

Fallen
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah, the message about respecting the natives and environment was about as heavy-handed as it gets. The main character actually says at one point, "WE'VE KILLED OUR EARTH MOTHER!", or something to that effect. That is what stopped me from liking the film as much as everyone else I watched it with. Subtlety isn't Cameron's strong suit.

CrystalTears
12-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, the message about respecting the natives and environment was about as heavy-handed as it gets. The main character actually says at one point, "WE'VE KILLED OUR EARTH MOTHER!", or something to that effect. That is what stopped me from liking the film as much as everyone else I watched it with. Subtlety isn't Cameron's strong suit.
So you didn't like it because of the religious undertones, or because it was overly hippy with the save the natives and environment aspect?

Celephais
12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Couldn't you tell from his post? He hates when they use CG instead of muppets.
And for those of you who can't get subtlety, he disliked it because of you.

Fallen
12-23-2009, 11:45 AM
So you didn't like it because of the religious undertones, or because it was overly hippy with the save the natives and environment aspect?

The latter. Hell, some of the Na'vi were actually modeled after indian (feather, not dot obviously) actors.

CrystalTears
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
The latter. Hell, some of the Na'vi were actually modeled after indian (feather, not dot obviously) actors.
Well it's probably because I like Indians that I sympathized with them. I mean as far as the story goes, we were presumptuous enough to go to THEIR world to try and change THEIR way of life because of something we wanted for power/money. I didn't like it when it happened to our American Indians, I certainly didn't like it when they traveled to another fucking galaxy to do it too. :)

Fallen
12-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Couldn't you tell from his post? He hates when they use CG instead of muppets.
And for those of you who can't get subtlety, he disliked it because of you.

You cut right to the core of me, Baxter. This would have been far better film had they done it Labyrinth style. Here is some concept work from the ORIGINAL design before they decided to go in a different direction.

http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/02/HerryMonster.jpg

Fallen
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Well it's probably because I like Indians that I sympathized with them. I mean as far as the story goes, we were presumptuous enough to go to THEIR world to try and change THEIR way of life because of something we wanted for power/money. I didn't like it when it happened to our American Indians, I certainly didn't like it when they traveled to another fucking galaxy to do it too. :)

I didn't have a problem with the message itself, only how it was conveyed.

Clove
12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I didn't have a problem with the message itself, only how it was conveyed.What do you mean?

Celephais
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
What do you mean?
My impression is that he feels the story was better suited for another medium, telegraph perhaps.

Clove
12-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Well the hippy new-age culture of the Na'vi aside the theme in my opinion had more to do with "might makes right".

People are in the way of what We want.
We will try to convince the People to get out of Our way.
If the People won't be convinced We will force them out of Our way.
If the People resist Our force We will destroy them.

This kind of displacement echos throughout our own history with the Native Americans, and to a lesser extent the imperial behavior of the Roman, British, French and Spanish empire. But you see the theme played out even today in a less dramatic fashion; eminent domain.

It was a classic case of "I will exploit this any way I want because I can." The hippy Na'vi stuff simply explained the NA'VI motivation for not finding another place to live. Their spiritual beliefs wasn't what made the corporation wrong for forcing them out; it was the reason why the corporation had to force them out.

Cephalopod
12-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Who plays Andrew Jackson in the movie?
http://multimedialearningllc.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/andrew_jackson.jpg

radamanthys
12-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Who plays Andrew Jackson in the movie?
http://multimedialearningllc.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/andrew_jackson.jpg

Henry Winkler.
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/23/128692438754663234.jpg

Or maybe John Kerry.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/3/128702180967701826.jpg

Clove
12-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Totally John Kerry.

Clove
12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
My impression is that he feels the story was better suited for another medium, telegraph perhaps.I was actually looking for a 4D version to see but I had problems figuring out when the showtimes were.

Celephais
12-24-2009, 02:22 AM
I was actually looking for a 4D version to see but I had problems figuring out when the showtimes were.
In order to attend a 4d show, you need to purchase two tickets for 2d shows (at different times) and find a time paradox that allows you to view both viewings at the same time. If you have an amex black card this should be pretty easy to arrange.

Clove
01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Actually IMAX 3D was the best. Really. No trouble seeing the detail. For serious.

Drisco
01-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Honestly I prefer 2D. I watched it in a 3d cinema and I was getting a really bad headache and I took them off for a bit. But you need them to read the subtitles because without, it's fucked.

LMingrone
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I have the DVD screener for the 2D version, and it's mehhhhh. Still trying decide if it's even worth seeing again in IMAX 3D.

AnticorRifling
01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I loved it in 3d, going to see it in IMAX 3d with the wife sometime.

Androidpk
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
IMAX 3d fort his was pretty sweet. It's too bad watching it at the IMAX didn't improve the story, that sucks regardless of where you watch it.

AnticorRifling
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
There was a story?

Deathravin
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I thought it was just a high-def game of peek-a-boo with a blue chick's nipples.

AnticorRifling
01-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Just like the smurfs.

Warriorbird
01-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Regular theater is just fine. 2D if you're one of those people who can't take 3D.

Clove
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Honestly I prefer 2D. I watched it in a 3d cinema and I was getting a really bad headache and I took them off for a bit. But you need them to read the subtitles because without, it's fucked.Um. Just close or block one eye if the 3D is bothering you. If you take off the glasses you'll end up looking at a split image of everything (which won't help eye strain). Blocking one eye (with the glasses on) returns the movie to a single, 2D image.
IMAX 3d fort his was pretty sweet. It's too bad watching it at the IMAX didn't improve the story, that sucks regardless of where you watch it.FFS the story didn't suck just because it was average. It was a typical Cameron sci-fi story (evil corporation vs. average innocent people, Aliens, Terminator 2) and it was a typical hero's journey story. I will admit that the villains could have been done better but in general it was an average story. Average/=Suck. You want an example of a suck sci-fi story, watch Phantom Menace or Generations.
I have the DVD screener for the 2D version, and it's mehhhhh...I woke up at midnight and it was like, dark...

Androidpk
01-09-2010, 01:33 PM
There was a story?

Good point Sir.