PDA

View Full Version : Tips for my new paladin

Androidpk
12-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Race: Giantman Profession: Paladin (shown as: Holy Warrior)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 82 (31) ... 82 (31)
Constitution (CON): 65 (17) ... 73 (21)
Dexterity (DEX): 88 (14) ... 88 (14)
Agility (AGI): 88 (14) ... 88 (14)
Discipline (DIS): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Aura (AUR): 82 (11) ... 82 (11)
Logic (LOG): 75 (7) ... 75 (7)
Intuition (INT): 55 (2) ... 55 (2)
Wisdom (WIS): 80 (15) ... 80 (15)
Influence (INF): 81 (20) ... 81 (20)
Mana: 108

(at level 35), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 190 90
Combat Maneuvers...................| 130 35
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 170 70
Ambush.............................| 130 35
Physical Fitness...................| 130 35
Dodging............................| 130 35
Harness Power......................| 130 35

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 35

Master of GoS.

I have until January 14th for instant skill/CM migration. So far I've been hunting in my usual spots, Sentoph and Glacier, with no problems. I'm going to be upgrading my weapon soon, right now I'm just using a plain 4x maul and legging then skull crushing.

Is there anything I could do to tweak my training around a little bit to fit in some ranks of religion lore? It's pretty fun to use 1615 and then open ambush heads but it isn't as reliable as I would like it to be.

For combat maneuvers I have 4 ranks in surge of strength.

Fruity2k
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
As your secondary CMAN I'd recommend weapon specialization. It's nice for lazy people like me because it's passive. Can never have too much AS.

As for religion ranks, you're probably going to get strongly opposing opinions here, but I'd suggest dropping your spell ranks down to 30 for now. Beseech is great and all, but you're really not going to be hunting a lot of stuff that hurts you all that bad until 45 or 50, assuming you've got full spells. Your CS won't take a big hit, because you've got 1612, and you can still fully bond your weapon (think it's 29 ranks).

You can probably 1x lores or close to it for those 5 ranks you're sacrificing.

If not that, you could probably sacrifice a few ranks of armor training (edit: no more than 5 or 6) because you can get 3 ranks of armored fluidity. That helps offset some of the hindrance. 10-15% hindrance isn't really that bad for a while, especially since you really shouldn't be needing 1615 and 1630 all that often as an every creature sort of spell. You don't have the mana for that yet anyway.

thefarmer
12-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Dump ambush to max the kneeling effect of divine strike and judgement (they're different). I'd also suggest you also get enough lore to hit 4 targets with judgement. Then if you want to, pick up some ranks in ambush, though I wouldn't suggest more than .5x, and instead go over 1x (maybe 1.25 or even 1.5) in PF, or even CM if you like that higher AS number.

Fruity2k
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Dump ambush to max the kneeling effect of divine strike and judgement (they're different). I'd also suggest you also get enough lore to hit 4 targets with judgement. Then if you want to, pick up some ranks in ambush, though I wouldn't suggest more than .5x, and instead go over 1x (maybe 1.25 or even 1.5) in PF, or even CM if you like that higher AS number.

Oh wow yeah, didn't even notice that ambush training

Drop that altogether for now I'd say. Your CM training for now should be decent enough to open ambush some of the time.

Androidpk
12-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I noticed a huge difference in open aim ambushing going from 35 ranks of CM to 35 ranks of CM and ambush. That's why I think I might keep it. 1615 is pretty sweet when it makes them kneel, I've even had a few instant death crits. It seems that for now open aim ambushing would be more effective than 1615/30 due to mana.

Right now the only real issue I've noticed is a lack of DS. Not wearing anything special for armor, just a 4x mbp.

pabstblueribbon
12-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeh. I had a TON of ds with a tower shield and ohb training. Switched over to thw and although I usually outright kill something in the first swing, I am really really missing the DS. Also, my training got al ot tighter, I was surprised when I realized how many tps I had to use.

thefarmer
12-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I noticed a huge difference in open aim ambushing going from 35 ranks of CM to 35 ranks of CM and ambush. That's why I think I might keep it. 1615 is pretty sweet when it makes them kneel, I've even had a few instant death crits. It seems that for now open aim ambushing would be more effective than 1615/30 due to mana.

Honestly, I don't think you need to worry about aiming at all. You should be more than effective enough just outright swinging.

25 Ranks of religion for both, (I was wrong on needing different amounts. It's the % that's different) will give you 50% for 1615 and 85% for 1630%. No, you won't be able to use it every critter, but you shouldn't need it either really.

Right now the only real issue I've noticed is a lack of DS. Not wearing anything special for armor, just a 4x mbp.

That's why I suggest getting 1.5x PF early. You could even drop dodge to .75 or .5x to get the points you need now.

I think the main goals for a paladin should be:

Beseech
MBP (for a minimum)
25 Ranks of religion lore
Redux (at least 1.5x PF)
High AS (at least 1.5x CM)

Androidpk
12-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks Farmer. I'm going to switch my skills around to the ones you suggested and see how that compares. At what level range do paladins usually start wearing full plate?

Androidpk
12-20-2009, 10:06 PM
(at level 35), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 190 90
Combat Maneuvers...................| 146 46
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 170 70
Physical Fitness...................| 152 52
Dodging............................| 78 17
Harness Power......................| 130 35
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 105 25

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 35

I'm liking this a lot more. 1615 works great and I can still open ambush pretty good. 5 kneels/crushed heads in a row :)

One thing I forgot to mention, not sure how much of an effect it will have on me right now. I do not have a selected deity. Before I converted, my warrior had Kai picked. I've had him chosen since either 2001 or 2002. When I converted last week something happened and now I am forsaken. Still waiting on a SGM referral.

pabstblueribbon
12-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I forget what Kai's damage type is, but I do know Eonaks is impact, and they fucking ownzor.

thefarmer
12-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks Farmer. I'm going to switch my skills around to the ones you suggested and see how that compares. At what level range do paladins usually start wearing full plate?

I've seen a few paladins race to fullplate with 3x, but unless you have some uber gear, 2x is more than sufficient.

Also, Kai is crush, so a good choice if you want to continue that RP. Mine is.

Androidpk
12-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to pay for an intercession, couple million or so. I'm either going to go with Koar or Kai, haven't fully decided.

thefarmer
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to pay for an intercession, couple million or so. I'm either going to go with Koar or Kai, haven't fully decided.

I'd see how the assist goes. Your convert status shouldn't have changed when you switched. Can't hurt at least.

Androidpk
12-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Logs show the forsaken command was entered after the conversion. Since I switched from my desktop to my new laptop I haven't been keeping logs so I can't see what happened, but I know I didn't enter that. Didn't even know you could forsake gods.

thefarmer
12-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Ouch

Androidpk
12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah. The host I talked to said the conversion might have caused it, the GM said she didn't know, hopefully the SGM will know what happened.

Back
12-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Paladins pwn at like level.

I expanded aux skills with little detriment. The paladin training path is very tight but depending on how you like to play can be a little loose.

For me lores come later when they really matter. Tie up phys first then play with ment. I don’t think paladins were meant to be mental first.

Back
12-21-2009, 03:03 AM

Walk with Koar.

thefarmer
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
For me lores come later when they really matter. Tie up phys first then play with ment. I don’t think paladins were meant to be mental first.

Lores /= Mental

Androidpk
12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Back, got any clips of 1630 with Koar?

Androidpk
12-22-2009, 02:23 AM
BTW i'm trying to decide on my main weapon. I'm either going to go with a greatsword or a maul. I know mechanic wises mauls are more superior but for rop reasons I would rather swing a sword. How much of a difference are there between the two as far as mechanics go?

Jace Solo
12-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Do what satisfies RP unless you have some hella uber weapon or something