PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7.0 Chaos

Jeake
12-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Help-

Problem: I cannot log into the Game at all "Cannot connect to game server" via web site/stormfront

History:

1140 20 DEC 09: Download and install Ruby and lich IAW http://lichproject.com/wiki/Download.
THIS issue begins "Cannot connect to game server"

1000 20 DEC 09: Change settings on Stormfront.exe to "Compatability mode Visa" and "Run as administrator." I am able to access the game and play normally through the web (without Lich). SGE always fails after acception credentials and selecting character.

0900 20 DEC 09: Upgrade complete. Attempt to access the game via SGE. I am able to log in and see characters...but program stops when I hit the go play button. When I try to access via the web/stormfront, I am albe to log in but get a "Stormfront.skn" error.

2130 19 DEC 09: Begin upgrade to WIN 7.0 from Vista.

2100 19 DEC 09: Able to enter game/use lich via SGE. As normal...when I access via the web site...lich does not start.

Recent past: Upgraded to Tillmans Lich.

Distant past: Installed/used old lich (Install to registry).

Help.

Tom

Calbren
12-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Hrm. I've had no issues on Windows 7 but I have the UAC notifications disabled entirely. My account is also an "Administrator" account. Are you running as Admin or User? Oh, I did a fresh install and NOT an upgrade. Upgrades are icky.

Jeake
12-20-2009, 12:08 PM
How do you set your UAC notifications to be entirely disabled? It is an Admin account...as far as I can tell (Under user accounts it says administrator). Yea...I was wishfully hoping on the upgrade....

Alorn15
12-20-2009, 12:27 PM
It sounds like a clean install is in order. I forget if the lich's command line uninstall works, but it goes something like this - ruby lich.rbw --uninstall. In either case, hopefully you know your way around regedit... (though it's not too complicated, any techie friend could walk you through it.)

Jeake
12-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Would a clean reinstall of my OS update my registry and get me to a clean baseline so I am starting from scatch?

Tillmen
12-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Usually all you need to do is reinstall the Simu Launcher. Make sure you can log into the game without Lich. If not, try installing the launcher again by right-clicking and running as admin. Before installing Lich, you may have to right-click on rubyw.exe and look around for a way to have it always run as admin.

Jeake
12-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Ok...so when I...
Download and reinstall the launcher....."The file 'C:\Ruby\bin\rubyw.exe "C:\lich\lich.rb"\help32.txt' could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

When I try to start the game via the website: Cannot connect to game server.

Would a clean reinstall of my OS update my registry and get me to a clean baseline so I am starting from scratch?

Thanks...both for your help and this project in general.

v/r

Tom/Faelln

Cephalopod
12-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I think if you just re-install the default Simu launcher, you may get working again, but without Lich.

http://www.play.net/software/lnchinst.exe

It should overwrite the registry entries.

Jeake
12-20-2009, 05:34 PM
The fix....

1) System restore to the point when I initially installed win 7

2) Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Setting > Set to Never Notify.

3) Pin SGE to task bar

Execute.

faloon
12-20-2009, 07:18 PM
So it was limiting your functionality?