PDA

View Full Version : Since it was removed from Play.net

SpiffyJr
12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Initial post
Forging is time consuming and boring but provides a decent reward for those that choose to do it. Timesinks keep you in the game which keeps the dollars and subscriptions alive. That's how these games work. Personally, I'd rather them devote their time to developing new features (MONKS RSN!!!!) than wasting it catching scripters. What do I care if someone was out hunting rats because the first 10 levels of this game are completely boring? What do I care if someone scripted their way to master forger? It just gives me another person to buy from. What I DO care about is features that are promised being implemented before the game completely dies. We're sitting at ~350 people (of those, probably 300 unique players) during prime-time which is a joke. There are free to play MUDs with more development and a third of the playerbase. There is NO advertising going on and hell, the website isn't even updated. EG crap is still up! This game has little upkeep and maintenance costs as well as a mostly voluntary staff so there's no reason why a little love couldn't be thrown to a marketing campaign.

Summary: Stop wasting time on things that aren't going to help the largest issue of the game (declining population) and focus your resources towards improving the current player base morale and/or advertising to bring in more customers.

Follow to prove point
A quick Google Search for "most popular MUD" landed me on Aardwolf MUD. They have their own client (http://www.aardwolf.com/tmp/aardwolf-mud-2.jpg), no subscription costs, and from their game stats page the most users online since last reboot was 534. That's just ONE example.

Active Players: 157
Players found: [367], Max this reboot: [429], connections this reboot: [12533]

AnticorRifling
12-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Translation: I read the ToS concerning scripting BUT I WANNA SCRIPT and since I R PAY MONIES I should be allowed to do it. I'm going to veil my wants with things I find in game to kind ofsupport this (but don't think this bitching is just about me wanting to script because that's crazy amirite) PS me me me

Can't imagine why that would get pulled.

Archigeek
12-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Well I would guess anything that plugs someone else's game gets a quick hook. He does raise some valid points though. What is the state of the state of Elanthia? It wasn't that many years ago, that at Simucon David Whatley was all excited and handing out free stuff left and right. Now, there's barely a Simucon if there is one. What the hell happened to HJ? That was intended to be the savior of the Simutronic's universe. Instead, it's being whore'd out to the highest bidder, and the rest of us are sucking hind tit on a dry bitch and wondering where the milk is.

Durgrimst
12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
and the rest of us are sucking hind tit on a dry bitch and wondering where the milk is.

Im just happy there is a tit to suck on, milk is extra IMO...

Warriorbird
12-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Play DR: The Fallen.

Archigeek
12-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Heh. Touche' I suppose one shouldn't complain... though she's starting to sag a little too much for my liking.

Emislity
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Translation: I read the ToS concerning scripting BUT I WANNA SCRIPT and since I R PAY MONIES I should be allowed to do it. I'm going to veil my wants with things I find in game to kind ofsupport this (but don't think this bitching is just about me wanting to script because that's crazy amirite) PS me me me

Maybe you're right, or maybe you're wrong. I don't think it has anything to do with the whole "me me me" crap. I think for once someone's just tired of the way Gemstone's being ran. I mean honestly there's a lot of crap going on inside Gemstone. Spiffy's correct when he said the play.net site's not even updated, go look for yourself. Secondly, if you look at the most popular mud on Google, Gemstone's not even in the top 10. Wouldn't that strike some kind of concern in your mind, wondering if Gemstone even cares if they run this game into the ground or not? If I owned Simutronics and my company name was out there knowing my name is going right along with it to back it up, I would be proud to know that my MUD is one of the longest running successful MUD's out there.

The fact that ToS does state no scripting and we knew those rules when we started playing, doesn't change the fact that Simu still hasn't done anything constructive with their games. How long have they been saying MONKs are going to be released? How long did it take for them to finally release the Scatter? Simutronics doesn't advertise their games like they should, hell the sites we have found haven't been updated in years. Why wouldn't you be pissed off if you're spending money for a game every month for your leisure and you're paying for them to upkeep the game, but in the end it's not being upkept at all. The entire point of charging for something especially online is for helping in paying for the advertising, the construction within the game. Otherwise, they should just go back to Free and say screw it, you guys playing out how you want. If they're going to make us pay for a game, then at least be consistent in their upkeep.

I've been sitting in SGM queue status for 3 months on number 12 waiting for a SGM to respond to my referral, and I have been premium for over two years now. There are many people with the same views as Spiffy, and as players of Gemstone we use to have a voice, our opinions use to matter. I can't help but agree with Spiffy on most of the things he pointed out.

When I update the playershops on Virilneus' site, I afk script it while I'm working or doing schoolwork. The point is, there's always a solution to every problem, you just have to be willing to work together to come up with it.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
12-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Well there are still many years of slow death. I mean, look at the other games from Simu, some of them have like 5 players. If it isn't clear to you yet, so long as DW is still making money via subscriptions, you'll be able to log in.

SpiffyJr
12-16-2009, 12:52 PM

There is no translation. Unlike most of you douche nozzle PC posters I post exactly what I mean. This game is dying and the GMs are far more concerned with scripting and other such bullshit than keeping the rapidly declining playerbase happy.

P.S. I have and always script this game as long as I continue to play it. The fact that it's against policy doesn't change anything. Everytime I get caught I just come up with better ways to not get caught (re: SpiffyAlert). That still doesn't change my view on the direction this game is headed. If they removed scripting tomorrow and added all the request features I'd still play this game. Why? Because development, progress, and communication are more important than being able to AFK script.

SpiffyJr
12-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Well there are still many years of slow death. I mean, look at the other games from Simu, some of them have like 5 players. If it isn't clear to you yet, so long as DW is still making money via subscriptions, you'll be able to log in.

This is entirely true. The cost of running this game is minimal and doesn't take many subscriptions to cover that. From a business standpoint this game is still profitable.

Drunken Durfin
12-16-2009, 12:54 PM
When I update the playershops on Virilneus' site, I afk script it while I'm working or doing schoolwork.

Please post a log if you ever get pulled for that.

SpiffyJr
12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think that's against ToS. Technically, though, I guess it is a beneficial AFK script.

ElvenFury
12-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Please post a log if you ever get pulled for that.

Yeah, AFK scripting is only a no-no when it provides some kind of benefit to your character (e.g. exp, silver, ranks).

AnticorRifling
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't think that's against ToS. Technically, though, I guess it is a beneficial AFK script.

It's not gaining ranks, xp, silver, etc. Walking around is fine since it's not advancing the character. Now if it's a screen scroll nightmare making it impossible for someone else to play then yes.

Warriorbird
12-16-2009, 01:17 PM
There is no translation. Unlike most of you douche nozzle PC posters I post exactly what I mean. This game is dying and the GMs are far more concerned with scripting and other such bullshit than keeping the rapidly declining playerbase happy.

P.S. I have and always script this game as long as I continue to play it. The fact that it's against policy doesn't change anything. Everytime I get caught I just come up with better ways to not get caught (re: SpiffyAlert). That still doesn't change my view on the direction this game is headed. If they removed scripting tomorrow and added all the request features I'd still play this game. Why? Because development, progress, and communication are more important than being able to AFK script.

You seem to have misinterpreted that we are still attached to GS. Most of us have gone through the stages of grief (or addiction quitting) a long time ago and have moved on.

GS is effectively renewal income for Whatley. It will stretch on a long time before it ends.

Plus you never can tell on the development front. Warden may return (though I'd kind of hope he doesn't if I were you). DR just got the profession it was promised in 2004. GS may get its. There's a fair number of CE GMs who keep the flame alive currently from what I hear.

AnticorRifling
12-16-2009, 01:28 PM
You seem to have misinterpreted that we are still attached to GS. Most of us have gone through the stages of grief (or addiction quitting) a long time ago and have moved on.

GS is effectively renewal income for Whatley. It will stretch on a long time before it ends.

Plus you never can tell on the development front. Warden may return (though I'd kind of hope he doesn't if I were you). DR just got the profession it was promised in 2004. GS may get its. There's a fair number of CE GMs who keep the flame alive currently from what I hear.

No no WB he KNOWS us douchebags. The same way he KNOWS what GMs are spending their time on and what's important to them. He's got a scripted crystal ball.

SpiffyJr
12-16-2009, 01:56 PM

I applied to be a GM. I'm more than capable on the programming standpoint. Wonder why they never returned my call... :rofl:

SpiffyJr
12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
No no WB he KNOWS us douchebags. The same way he KNOWS what GMs are spending their time on and what's important to them. He's got a scripted crystal ball.

Sure I know.

Premium - PCALC (PPs) Update - re: sticking you in the ass.
New Tech Update Mailing LIst - switching to Google
Mark Verb - adding a fail safe for idiots
Clothing of the Lassaran - A Study of Transitional Culture - RP stuff
The History of the Order of Voln - Final Sections - RP stuff

Latest News
Ebon Gate - Tower Hill Family Auction, 5109 - the Webstaff on 10/22/2009 No news for two months :(

Oh, and last but not least.
New Monk Information Released! by GS4-LOTHWYN, 4/1/2008 10:48:28 AM MONKS RSN!!!!!!!

What's important to them?
* Family
* Friends
* Social life

All of those things are awesome for them but since they are a volunteer staff Gemstone gets the shaft.

Warriorbird
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I applied to be a GM. I'm more than capable on the programming standpoint. Wonder why they never returned my call... :rofl:

A big criteria is fitting into their particular program. They've rejected a lot of people with even higher levels of ability (yes, they do exist). Non newb GMs do get paid about half of what they'd make working at McDonald's.

SpiffyJr
12-16-2009, 02:21 PM
A big criteria is fitting into their particular program. They've rejected a lot of people with even higher levels of ability (yes, they do exist). Non newb GMs do get paid about half of what they'd make working at McDonald's.

I was being sarcastic. I know they checked all my scripting violations and shit themselves.

Drunken Durfin
12-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah, AFK scripting is only a no-no when it provides some kind of benefit to your character (e.g. exp, silver, ranks).

Never underestimate the need for some people to be a douchbag.

Celephais
12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I wonder if he considered that the reason a lot of people left the game is because no one interacts with anyone anymore, they're all mindless zombies grinding a wheel for the sake of grinding it.

SpiffyJr
12-16-2009, 02:50 PM
you're such a tool it's hilarious. Go outside for a few days

Says the guy willing to spend his time (inside) by replying to my post.

Latrinsorm
12-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Not all GMs are coders, and not all coders can or should work on what you want them to. Your numbers are off: GS regularly crests 420 during prime time, and is showing no signs of decline, let alone "rapid" decline. You are not representative of all GS players, current or former.

I think if you meditate on these facts, you will find greater clarity.

Sam
12-16-2009, 04:44 PM
If scripting was openly allowed or completely ignored, even more players would leave.. It would be a lot like mybrute.com. I enjoyed my 3 minutes a day on that until I found people gaining levels by the minute all day..

It ruins people's experiences to see your stupid character running around not responding, and to know that their character's "work" will never pay off as much as your rule-breaking.

Methais
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM

Even if it's tits like these, which is accurate for the state of GS?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cT3GprLS1kc/Sa3qP_e4lSI/AAAAAAAAAKo/yO9-oAhmr6I/s400/saggy_boobs.jpg

Methais
12-16-2009, 05:08 PM
and as players of Gemstone we use to have a voice, our opinions use to matter.

I don't remember Simu ever giving a shit about our opinions, with maybe a couple exceptions. When was this time you speak of?

It's not gaining ranks, xp, silver, etc. Walking around is fine since it's not advancing the character. Now if it's a screen scroll nightmare making it impossible for someone else to play then yes.

I want a script that will run me through every room in the Landing over and over forever. No screen scroll nightmares so it'd be legal.

Warden may return (though I'd kind of hope he doesn't if I were you).

I didn't even know he left. Who's filling his shoes for now? Or are they gonna leave a huge void there too and blame us for it down the road?

Knowing Simu's smart decision making process they'd probably put Andraste in Warden's spot.

Makkah
12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Or are they gonna leave a huge void there too and blame us for it down the road?

Read: Monks won't be out for a loooooong time.

Kithus
12-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I didn't realize Warden was gone either. If he is I'd guess that Coase would likely fill that void.

BigWorm
12-16-2009, 11:16 PM
I didn't realize Warden was gone either. If he is I'd guess that Coase would likely fill that void.

I'm am pretty sure his is not unless this is a very recent development. I think a lot of the work he does is behind the scenes and he is also good at sharing the credit so you don't see his name very much. At least that was the impression I got from GMs at Simucon.

phantasm
12-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Goodbye SpiffyJr, thanks for listing some problems you have noticed with Gemstone/Simutronics.

There are two ways to play the game, people that enjoy taking it slow and developing a character manually, and people that enjoy watching their numbers fly up, via afk scripting or just mindless powerhunting.

The later group will eventually get bored of watching the numbers go up, post some crap on the forums, and then quit.

The first group will still be playing, enjoying whatever it is.

You will never get your numbers as big as Tsin, you will never be a famous coder like Jamus, you won't have a bank account as big as Ardwen, you will never create a character with a memorable personality.

The only thing I will remember about you, is your failure.

Goodbye.

Gelston
12-16-2009, 11:21 PM
And I will remember you for Lulz.

SpiffyJr
12-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Goodbye SpiffyJr, thanks for listing some problems you have noticed with Gemstone/Simutronics.

There are two ways to play the game, people that enjoy taking it slow and developing a character manually, and people that enjoy watching their numbers fly up, via afk scripting or just mindless powerhunting.

The later group will eventually get bored of watching the numbers go up, post some crap on the forums, and then quit.

The first group will still be playing, enjoying whatever it is.

You will never get your numbers as big as Tsin, you will never be a famous coder like Jamus, you won't have a bank account as big as Ardwen, you will never create a character with a memorable personality.

The only thing I will remember about you, is your failure.

Goodbye.

http://www.phpraider.com - I've had over 1 million downloads of my program. I'd consider that are fairly sizable accomplishment. The rest, however, is true.

Sam
12-17-2009, 08:39 AM
lol at the first thread:
edit: i think these forums are making me more of an asshole.

phpRaider.com was hacked this week and I'm going through a very cautious set of steps to determine what software was the culprit. The good news is that the database is intact and that nothing there was lost. The bad news is that all files were lost so once I get the download manager back online it will be up to the community to replace the lost files.

Archigeek
12-17-2009, 10:48 AM

I don't think he's gone, and I sure hope it isn't the case.

Everyone owes him a big thank you for everything he has done to improve the combat systems of Gemstone. Compare the pre-Warden days with their limited vision of the problems of Gemstone and correspondingly little improvement, to the laundry list of changes and fresh approaches that have happened under Warden's management. All with a much higher and friendlier degree of communication.

Fallen
12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
The last thing I remember Warden's name attached to was the revamping of the weighting/padding scales. Pretty sure that was Warden, and not Coase.

Morrff
12-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Didn't have time to read through all of this, possibly get to it later. However I believe that Simu is just waiting for GS to become non-viable for profit so they close it, personal opinion based on the fact that they've not updated the main advertisement site for all MUD games online going on 8yrs now.

A little less moderation on their HORRIBLE to navigate play.net site that has not seen enough updating itself and TOO MUCH moderation. I'd rather see critics bashing Simu or whatever and see them actually spend less time pulling posts with more time doing something productive to edit the incorrect shit on their site. I call that a bigger issue then someone spamming insults via posts. But they cannot seem to handle critics.

I honestly feel like Simu would rather have GS crash so they can focus on the other games they have and other products they're putting out, then put a little effort into advertising the game in the proper manner.

Reawing
12-17-2009, 10:03 PM
I honestly feel like Simu would rather have GS crash so they can focus on the other games they have and other products they're putting out, then put a little effort into advertising the game in the proper manner.

They don't want it to crash. They want to do just enough work that they can continue to collect the money from all those MA premium accounts. They use crappy servers that crash and aren't particularly responsive because they mostly use volunteers with small stipends rather than full time staff. They know they can get away with it. We're suckers because we still play, but hey, an addiction is an addiction.

Mogonis
12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Only way to get their attention is to boycott the box office. But no one will do it.

Gelston
12-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Because I'll be a scab and get all the free stuffz.

Methais
12-17-2009, 10:45 PM
They don't want it to crash. They want to do just enough work that they can continue to collect the money from all those MA premium accounts. They use crappy servers that crash and aren't particularly responsive because they mostly use volunteers with small stipends rather than full time staff. They know they can get away with it. We're suckers because we still play, but hey, an addiction is an addiction.

To be fair, I haven't had GS crash on me in forever. To be even more fair, they can probably get away with using a shitty server regardless since it's running a game born in 1989.

Only way to get their attention is to boycott the box office. But no one will do it.

If that happened, they'd probably just shut down GS instead of fixing whatever people are boycotting it for.

Reawing
12-17-2009, 11:04 PM
To be fair, I haven't had GS crash on me in forever. To be even more fair, they can probably get away with using a shitty server regardless since it's running a game born in 1989.

You've been lucky. It may also be geographically based. I am in Wisconsin so perhaps its different where you are. In the last year I think I have been thrown off maybe 3 times whiling hunting. After each, I would get set up with a referral to a GM and like a week later someone would come reimburse me for all the potions I spent on the priestess and a deed because of the death sting of dying without a raise.

Methais
12-17-2009, 11:06 PM
If it's geographically based, then the problem has nothing to do with Simu.

Also are you really that worried about a deed and what, 75k worth of potions?

Mogonis
12-17-2009, 11:14 PM
If that happened, they'd probably just shut down GS instead of fixing whatever people are boycotting it for.
I know. Either way we win!

Reawing
12-17-2009, 11:14 PM
If it's geographically based, then the problem has nothing to do with Simu.

Also are you really that worried about a deed and what, 75k worth of potions?

I am pretty sure Simu uses several different servers in different places. When one fails, usually not all fail.

As for the death, its annoying. I pay a lot for relatively little effort on their part. I want their screw-up fixed. And the GM I talked to did say one of their servers failed last time it happened (which is what entitled me to reimbursement for the potion and deed.) If it isn't Simu, they don't reimburse you.

Methais
12-17-2009, 11:21 PM
I am pretty sure Simu uses several different servers in different places. When one fails, usually not all fail.

This is also wrong.

Pretty sure what you're thinking of is when some major router (that usually hosts a lot of general internet traffic not exclusive to GS or Simu) goes down, which is way out of Simu's control, which can and does result in some people being able to access GS and other people not. I think it's more based off who your ISP is and where their connection routs to. I don't know enough about it to explain it in a way that makes sense though.

GS runs off of one server and it's in St. Louis.

Gelston
12-17-2009, 11:32 PM
AHEM

http://www.play.net/gs4/news.asp?id=153

That is all.

Mogonis
12-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah? Game server. Billing server. Web server.

Reawing
12-17-2009, 11:58 PM
This is also wrong.

Pretty sure what you're thinking of is when some major router (that usually hosts a lot of general internet traffic not exclusive to GS or Simu) goes down, which is way out of Simu's control, which can and does result in some people being able to access GS and other people not. I think it's more based off who your ISP is and where their connection routs to. I don't know enough about it to explain it in a way that makes sense though.

GS runs off of one server and it's in St. Louis.

You're right. I was thinking of a router. But that's what happened. And they did give me the money for the priestess and my deed back.

RawR
12-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Here. 420 people log on on prime time, we all know only 100 of those are really players.
I mean look at the tables in the landing, it's the same 50 people that never move. And that's just Thrak.

Calbren
12-18-2009, 08:27 AM
The the most I've seen online the last two weeks is ~330.

CrystalTears
12-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Here. 420 people log on on prime time, we all know only 100 of those are really players.
I mean look at the tables in the landing, it's the same 50 people that never move. And that's just Thrak.
I hear these kind of estimates and it makes me wonder. Do people really think that 100 players are all MAing 4 characters each?

I realize this particular one is a huge exaggeration, but it's not the first or last time I'll hear of this assumption. Is that really the case?

AnticorRifling
12-18-2009, 08:43 AM
I'd probably say it's a 2:1. Some don't MA at all, some MA to the extreme. 2 active accounts per warm body would be a safe assumption though. I think at my worst I personally was 3:1. Or if you've got a buddy who's not logged in for the evening you log in their account as well to spellup, pick, healdown, whatever. So yeah 2:1 sounds reasonable to me.

Celephais
12-18-2009, 08:56 AM
2:1 is absurd. Maybe if you dont' count an AFK person as a warm body you can approach that ratio, but I really don't think that many MA, it's just the 'vocal minority' thing that makes it seem like so many do.

AnticorRifling
12-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Think so? I guess I'm just going off of personal experience. The group I ran with we all had 2 active accounts.

kookiegod
12-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Saavis is the main culprit in any GS related lag/disco'ing.

Horrible service.

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2009-June/011018.html

~Paul

Me
12-18-2009, 03:17 PM
As someone said there are different types of GM's and the ones that work on game design rarely interact or care if someone is scripting unless you are scripting their particular design and they are watching. The GM's that are stopping you from scripting are the customer service people. The ones that run stories, events, do alterations and answer the different queues when you have complaints or questions. They are watching for scripters because its part of their job. There are ones that make a big deal about it Elbrion was one he loved catching them, and there are ones that only stop someone if its really obvious. I know its a pain but you did agree not to do it by agreeing to the TOS.

phantasm
12-18-2009, 04:25 PM
As someone said there are different types of GM's and the ones that work on game design rarely interact or care if someone is scripting unless you are scripting their particular design and they are watching. The GM's that are stopping you from scripting are the customer service people. The ones that run stories, events, do alterations and answer the different queues when you have complaints or questions. They are watching for scripters because its part of their job. There are ones that make a big deal about it Elbrion was one he loved catching them, and there are ones that only stop someone if its really obvious. I know its a pain but you did agree not to do it by agreeing to the TOS.

Glad to have a GM weigh in on it.

Reawing
12-18-2009, 04:45 PM
I know its a pain but you did agree not to do it by agreeing to the TOS.

We also agreed that all our characters and gear are the intellectual property of Simu under TOS, and thus, not transferable for profit. They don't seem to have any problem collecting $15 everytime a character transfer goes through, no questions asked. They seem to be a bit choosey (dare I say hypocritical) on which provisions of the TOS they enforce and which they let slide.

CrystalTears
12-18-2009, 04:48 PM
We also agreed that all our characters and gear are porperty of Simu under TOS, but they don't seem to have any problem collecting $15 everytime a character transfer goes through, no questions asked.Why would they have a problem with a character transfer that is done with the consent of both parties? It's the character SALE you should be asking regarding their concern.

Heh, did it before your edit. :tongue:

Reawing
12-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Why would they have a problem with a character transfer that is done with the consent of both parties? It's the character SALE you should be asking regarding their concern.

Heh, did it before your edit. :tongue:

Yeah, I have a nasty habit of posting and then editing. Sorry.

CrystalTears
12-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I have a nasty habit of posting and then editing. Sorry.
Thing is, though, that Simu is lazy. If they REALLY cared, they'd have someone checking the PC, eBay, Sergey's sites and all other possible options to find out if there was a transfer of funds for the character before the transfer could be completed.

However unless it's happening right in front of their very eyes within the game, they're not going to bother doing that kind of research (even though most of those sales are pretty fucking obvious).

Reawing
12-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Thing is, though, that Simu is lazy. If they REALLY cared, they'd have someone checking the PC, eBay, Sergey's sites and all other possible options to find out if there was a transfer of funds for the character before the transfer could be completed.

However unless it's happening right in front of their very eyes within the game, they're not going to bother doing that kind of research (even though most of those sales are pretty fucking obvious).

They know exactly what's happening. I was talking to them on the phone doing some account maintanence (I used to have 3 accounts, now I have 2.) Apparently I have 3 mothers, because the woman I spoke with asked me for my mother's maidden name on each of the accounts and they were all different. :rofl: They know exactly what's happening.

Calbren
12-18-2009, 04:57 PM
We also agreed that all our characters and gear are the intellectual property of Simu under TOS, and thus, not transferable for profit. They don't seem to have any problem collecting $15 everytime a character transfer goes through, no questions asked. They seem to be a bit choosey (dare I say hypocritical) on which provisions of the TOS they enforce and which they let slide.

Yah, but this makes them money. Though, one could argue that scripting produces subscriptions that make them money. Or, that scripting makes others feel disconnected so they cancel their subscription. Fact is, they're the boss and get to pick and choose as they wish.

Reawing
12-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Fact is, they're the boss and get to pick and choose as they wish.

Fact is, the TOS is a contractual agreement between us (the subscribers) and them (the providers.) They are failing to uphold their end of a legally binding agreement in knowingly allowing clients to violate the TOS and reaping the rewards. Proving damages would be difficult, but if someone felt that character transfers for profit violated the integrity of their game experience, they might have some sort of case.

Calbren
12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Fact is, the TOS is a contractual agreement between us (the subscribers) and them (the providers.) They are failing to uphold their end of a legally binding agreement in knowingly allowing clients to violate the TOS and reaping the rewards. Proving damages would be difficult, but if someone felt that character transfers violated the integrity of their game experience, they might have some sort of case.

True, but no one is ever going to do anything about it.

Reawing
12-18-2009, 05:02 PM
True, but no one is ever going to do anything about it.

This is true. But it does mean we get to call them hypocrites.

Calbren
12-18-2009, 05:03 PM
This is true. But it does mean we get to call them hypocrites.

Yah! F'in hypocrites! Glad we could agree on something. :hug2:

Reawing
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Yah! F'in hypocrites! Glad we could agree on something. :hug2:

:rofl: I wonder if Simu even has in-house counsel? My understanding is they are a fairly small company.

Calbren
12-18-2009, 05:09 PM
They are fairly small but they recently made some nice deals with the Hero Engine. Actually, the MMORPG I'm most looking forward to (Star Wars - The Old Republic) is using the Hero Engine. It's being done by BioWare who has some serious fundage so I'm sure Simutronics got a hefty sum of cash for it.

Reawing
12-18-2009, 05:16 PM
They are fairly small but they recently made some nice deals with the Hero Engine. Actually, the MMORPG I'm most looking forward to (Star Wars - The Old Republic) is using the Hero Engine. It's being done by BioWare who has some serious fundage so I'm sure Simutronics got a hefty sum of cash for it.

I'm guessing they spent our GSIV money on developing it instead of monks for the last 5 years. :medieval:

Calbren
12-18-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm guessing they spent our GSIV money on developing it instead of monks for the last 5 years. :medieval:

The REAL sad part is they had volunteers working on it as well. The ultimate in owned.

Archigeek
12-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm curious what the volunteer contract looks like. It's not 100% volunteer really I don't think, it's just shall we say, pennies? But depending on how it's written, they could be in for a windfall. Doubt it, but if someone wasn't paying attention, it's possible.

Warriorbird
12-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Whatley will always make money.

Methais
12-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Whatley will always snort coke.

Fixed.

Warriorbird
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure they're in opposition.

Neco
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Not all GMs are coders, and not all coders can or should work on what you want them to. Your numbers are off: GS regularly crests 420 during prime time, and is showing no signs of decline, let alone "rapid" decline. You are not representative of all GS players, current or former.

I think if you meditate on these facts, you will find greater clarity.

If you think 420 is a lot and a healthy population, that's all fine and dandy.

But I remember when during prime we could have an average of 1000 - 1400 players online, and maybe 2000+ during a really special event. I think once I even saw 3000 or very close to it. But that was years ago. Natural dropoff over the years is expected too.

But I started worrying when I saw prime hitting numbers like 650 - 800. I can see I was right to worry too. There may not be a fast dwindling decline, but there is an alarmingly clear pattern of decline. Almost two years ago or so, when I logged out the numbers were hovering around 700 prime time.

Right now its 6:42pm CST and there are... 275 players online. If I can only expect another 200 players over the next 4 - 5 hours..

That hurts me when I think about the future of the game and the way the company has operated over the past decade. I've watched it go from healthy and vibrant, to this... The blame lies Squarely on Simu's shoulders for neglecting what is essentially their flagship product for so many years.

And they still won't get a clue and hire a decent number of staff as full time dedicated staff.

And to echo earlier sentiments. I miss the interaction. Meeting someone new in some random place and hanging out together and having fun. Being smothered with Empaths when you asked for healing instead of blank stares from the one or two bots sitting there self-healing until their master gets back with fresh wounds. Well, we could all go on and on. I'm trying to make the best of it. Although I have seen 3 or 4 people in the entire game that I actually know from only two years ago, who -might- remember me. That's the worst part... Where did all my friends go? Simu drove them off.

Methais
12-21-2009, 07:49 PM
If you think 420 is a lot and a healthy population, that's all fine and dandy.

But I remember when during prime we could have an average of 1000 - 1400 players online, and maybe 2000+ during a really special event. I think once I even saw 3000 or very close to it. But that was years ago. Natural dropoff over the years is expected too.

But I started worrying when I saw prime hitting numbers like 650 - 800. I can see I was right to worry too. There may not be a fast dwindling decline, but there is an alarmingly clear pattern of decline. Almost two years ago or so, when I logged out the numbers were hovering around 700 prime time.

Right now its 6:42pm CST and there are... 275 players online. If I can only expect another 200 players over the next 4 - 5 hours..

That hurts me when I think about the future of the game and the way the company has operated over the past decade. I've watched it go from healthy and vibrant, to this... The blame lies Squarely on Simu's shoulders for neglecting what is essentially their flagship product for so many years.

And they still won't get a clue and hire a decent number of staff as full time dedicated staff.

If you're going to make 4723890423 alts, you should at least try and make them seem like a different person instead of acting exactly like the rest of your alts do with the exact same writing style.

PS: You're severely heterosexually challenged.

Neco
12-21-2009, 07:51 PM
If you're going to lob accusations at least have the data to backup such claims.

And no, "Oh uh I think he writes like that guyz lolz" doesn't count.

Methais
12-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Your posts along with the posts of your other alts are the only data required, as it's painfully obvious how badly you fail at this.

Neco
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Well I guess its a good thing you're not important, cause I don't care who you think I am. I know who I am, and I have a 9 year history as a player. I certainly don't need to pretend to be anyone else.

If you're that concerned go bug a mod to see if I'm even in the remotely same IP block as whoever it is put the stick up your ass.

Methais
12-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Well I guess its a good thing you're not important, cause I don't care who you think I am. I know who I am, and I have a 9 year history as a player. I certainly don't need to pretend to be anyone else.

If you're that concerned go bug a mod to see if I'm even in the remotely same IP block as whoever it is put the stick up your ass.

Tell me....who actually is important on the internet?

And just on the .000001% chance you're being honest, go back and read pretty much any post from Coin, HaroldAndMaude, CharlesStankowitz, sideways, etc. and you'll probably even accuse yourself of being one of their alts after.

Stunseed
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Actually, I'm about 99% sure Neco isn't the same d-bag. Not getting into the intelligence or lack thereof of his opinion, but Neco's been around much longer than the morons that OP/Alt the thread.

Methais
12-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Actually, I'm about 99% sure Neco isn't the same d-bag. Not getting into the intelligence or lack thereof of his opinion, but Neco's been around much longer than the morons that OP/Alt the thread.

Maybe so, but considering the content of his post, the content of Coin & co.'s recent posts, and Neco's join date....I doubt I was the only one seeing red flags.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not important on the internet.

Neco
12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Or it could be that the opinion is one shared by a wide audience of players and former players, these days.

Oh who am I kidding, who would want to badmouth Simu :club:

Anyway. http://www.gsplayers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1040428#post1040428

That was my first post here. I found it in google and that's how I got here. I have better things to do than be an ALT, like grave digging as you can see.

So everyone can believe whatever they want.

Methais
12-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Well...ok then.

Warriorbird
12-21-2009, 10:27 PM
As full of himself as Neco is... I doubt he's that guy as well.

phantasm
12-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Ah Neco is a major d-bag, but not related to the Coin alts.

I remember peeing on his leg in Icemule and getting imploded, what a ball licker.

Fruity2k
12-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Think so? I guess I'm just going off of personal experience. The group I ran with we all had 2 active accounts.

Meh. Everybody's personal experience is different. Of the highlights on my 'friends' list in game, I just did a quick count.

18 players on the list

2 have 2 accounts

16 have 1.

Last I checked anyway, and unless some of them are hiding it, which I highly doubt.

g++
12-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I was being sarcastic. I know they checked all my scripting violations and shit themselves.

I had a ton of scripting violations, they still interviewed me and seemed interested. I backed out when I realized it might actually happen though...I just applied to see what they would say.

Sean of the Thread
12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
The only time I got popped for scripting was get residency for four winds and I was the keyboard.

I would let hunting scripts run over night ffs and never heard a peep.

Calbren
12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I had a ton of scripting violations, they still interviewed me and seemed interested. I backed out when I realized it might actually happen though...I just applied to see what they would say.

I tend to agree with the other poster that said you need to fit their style. From your post count I assume you've been around a while which is probably enough for them.

g++
12-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I tend to agree with the other poster that said you need to fit their style. From your post count I assume you've been around a while which is probably enough for them.

From the feel of the interview I dont think their coders do enough "free thinking" for their opinion on anything to matter. Most of the GM's I met I doubt anyone here has ever even head of and all they talked about was scripting languages and experience. They didnt seem too interested in talking about roleplaying or games in general.

Calbren
12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
From the feel of the interview I dont think their coders do enough "free thinking" for their opinion on anything to matter. Most of the GM's I met I doubt anyone here has ever even head of and all they talked about was scripting languages and experience. They didnt seem too interested in talking about roleplaying or games in general.

Interesting.

(I mean the part where you said coder(s). Who woulda thunk it?! I kid, I kid!)